Menu

complaints

Expensify Complaints Summary

0 Resolved
10 Unresolved
Our verdict: Engaging with Expensify at a 0% resolution rate requires careful navigation. Deep-dive into detailed customer experiences to uncover systemic issues. Critically assess their service descriptions against actual user feedback. When interacting, document every detail, as comprehensive records are vital in such scenarios. Exploring alternatives and understanding your consumer rights are crucial steps. If necessary, be prepared to seek external advice or intervention. In challenging service landscapes, informed decision-making and proactive steps are essential for protecting your interests.
File a complaint
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for Expensify has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Expensify. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews

Expensify complaints 10

Sort by:

Newest Expensify complaints

B
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Expensify The CEO of the company sent out a politically inflammatory email to every one of its users, demonizing them in the process if we did not align

The CEO of the company sent out a politically inflammatory email to every one of its users, demonizing them in the process if we did not align with his political stance.

Read full review of Expensify and 4 comments
4 comments
L
L
L. Turcotte
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Billing issues. Company continues to *** me after canceling via the app, then attempting in writing to have their customer service handle the issue on two separate occasions. Not to mention, the charges have been double what I signed up for. Feeling totally scanned by what I thought was a legitimate company. A third customer service request sent and the rep said he would do nothing

S. Ratke
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Our organization joined Expensify to see if it would work for our employees who travel. They used the service for maybe a month and it just wasn't a good fit. I tried to cancel and was told I signed onto a one year deal and they could not cancel even though I said we are not using the service. Finally I was able to cancel the service after paying for a service we didn't use only to find out they are still charging us. And getting in contact with Expensify is impossible. When I try to log into our account, of course, i can't because it is closed. I would like them to stop charging us and I would like them to proclaim loud and clear on their website, that if you join, it is a year and there is no way to cancel. It wasn't clear and if I had known, I wouldn't have chosen that service.

T
T
T. Reynolds
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have been a customer for 10 years of ***. The cost has drifted up and been at a high level for several years because expensify uses certain "convenience" settings to automatically increase the number of locked-in subscriptions the business has. I realized recently that I was paying for several seats that were rarely or only occasionally used. The person on the "chat" was able after a long discussion to lower our annual subscription number to 1, but he/she did not mention to me that 1) my bookkeeper's seat was being charged to us, as well as a former bookkeeper, neither of whom ever submitted reports and 2) there had been usage by four employees in the very month the change was being made. To my surprise, the *** that came a week later was $211, for a total of 4 short expense reports that were submitted. After spending another 20 minutes on chat, I was told that there would be no credit, no help at all. It was like talking to a bot. I believe this business uses fraudulent practices to obtain and retain customers, and I intend to *** if this is not rectified. I demand that there be a credit such that my recent charge be no higher than the charge for prior months and that I be released from the contract. Attached is our history of charges from expensify, showing how their system saps small businesses in. It's ingenious, and I think fraudulent.

F
F
F. Gutkowski

K
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Expensify I closed my Expensify account in April and I'm still being charge every month for their services

I closed my Expensify account in April and I'm still being charge every month for their services. I have been emailing the concierge since and they haven't refunded me. Now they're telling me I still have an account open in my phone number. Every time I ask to talk to someone they say there's nobody to talk to. Can you please help me get refunded and resolve this issue? Thank You

Read full review of Expensify and 4 comments
4 comments
S. Rogahn
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Expensify is fraudulently charing me up to 400$ a month for services i am not utilizing. They have no over the phone chat representatives and only offer virtual chats. They direct you for what to do to "cancel" your "subscription" but ultimately get denied. They claim we "agreed to terms" - but cannot procure any such documentation..even though I enrolled bak in 2018. I have paid countless dollars to an outside agency (our billing/payroll company) to unwind the mess. They direct you to do something that is fruitless...knowingly and continue to steal money from my bank account.

J
J
J. Kunde

S. Flatley
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Expensify continues to Spam my email multiple times a month. This seems like a small thing, but I have reached out amicably at first, and not so much after repeated attempts, in order to get them to stop. They not only spam some business offerings, but they also spam politically biased email that is offensive to me. They continue to claim it is my fault, and that I need to close my account; I closed my account years ago, now they are saying that I have to create an account and close it to get them to stop. I don't believe a thing they say, and want all emails from my business purged from their records and don't want them spamming us ever again. I sincerely have tried SO LONG to get them to stop but they don't even care and won't comply.

M. Shanahan
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

They were to reimburse about 600 dollars of expenses for me. I entered the wrong bank account and when I learned this they requested the money back from my bank. They have not done anything other than this to speed up the process and they fight me along the way. I have had to message them every single day, and I recently learned that their sponsor bank had never sent the request of fund returns. They are deceptive and liars with horrendous customer service.

Expensify Billing issues

Read full review of Expensify and 2 comments
2 comments
D. Mraz

M. Bruen
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I subscribed to Expensify service to process travel reiumbursments for my small veteran-owned business. The service was advertised as $5/month and i continued on without issue, occasionally using the service. Recently upon reviewing year-end expenses i discovered i was no longer being charged $5/month, but that each of the last 4 months had increased month over month to now almost $9/, nearly double the advertised and agreed upon rate. Deceptively, the websites account page still displays "12 months at 5/month" but has been updated to include a confusing statement (in small, gray font at the bottom of the page) about "unbundling fees". Their goal appears to be to influence people to unknowingly join the service and then avoid the new fees via coercion by signing up for an Expensify credit card. After contacting customer service I was told the new pricing scheme was announced via email newsletter, but they also acknowledged i likely did not receive the email due my notifications being turned off. (I, like others have noted in public *** complaints, disabled these newsletters after Expensify began including extremely inflammatory political statements numerous times per week.) Ultimately this company is intentionally burying changes to their billing rates within spam mail so that they can then later claim to have alerted customers. In addition,.customers are by default set to auto-renew subscriptions, something you can only discover by digging deep into account settings. Given the timing of these changes and new deceptive billing techniques, my impression is that this is a form of price gouging unsuspecting and troubled small businesses during a global pandemic. Since Expensify's business has likely declined significantly over the past year due to a reduction in business travel, they likely needed to devise a new pricing scheme to cover their bottom line. If this company were truly ethical they would alert users about these significant price changes when logging into the website and have them acknowledge amd agree to the new rates (Many others companies use this exact method, such as Netflix did recently for their price increases.) Expensify, like any other dishonest company is trying to hook you into a subscription at a certain rate, then quietly increase the rates and keep you stuck with "automatic auto-renew"). Given that the company has no way to prove that the customer was even aware of the rate change, i cannot imagine them winning a collections case if a customer just decided to stop paying. If you are reading this and considering using the service for your small business, STOP and avoid at all costs. You know the exact type of business i am describing.

Is Expensify legit?

Our verdict: Complaints Board's thorough examination reveals Expensify as a legitimate entity with notable strengths. Despite a 0% resolution rate on customer complaints, which invites a closer look, Expensify stands out for its commitment to quality and security. Clients considering Expensify should delve into its customer service record to gauge compatibility with their expectations.

Expensify earns 91% level of Trustworthiness

Perfect Trust Endorsement: Expensify achives 91% ligitmacy per Complaints Board. Highly recommended, yet always stay vigilant.

We found clear and detailed contact information for Expensify. The company provides a physical address, phone number, and email, as well as 4 social media accounts. This demonstrates a commitment to customer service and transparency, which is a positive sign for building trust with customers.

Expensify has claimed the domain name for expensify.com for a long time, which suggests that the website is established and has a history of being in operation. This is a positive sign, as it indicates that the website has been around for a while and may have a reputation to maintain.

Expensify.com has a valid SSL certificate, which indicates that the website is secure and trustworthy. Look for the padlock icon in the browser and the "https" prefix in the URL to confirm that the website is using SSL.

Our scan shows Expensify website is free from malware and phishing activities, which are types of online threats that can include viruses, worms, Trojan horses, ransomware, and other malicious code, as social engineering tactics used to trick users into sharing their personal information.

Expensify.com has been deemed safe to visit, as it is protected by a cloud-based cybersecurity solution that uses the Domain Name System (DNS) to help protect networks from online threats.

Several positive reviews for Expensify have been found on various review sites. While this may be a good sign, it is important to approach these reviews with caution and consider the possibility of fake or biased reviews.

We looked up Expensify and found that the website is receiving a high amount of traffic. This could be a sign of a popular and trustworthy website, but it is still important to exercise caution and verify the legitimacy of the site before sharing any personal or financial information

However ComplaintsBoard has detected that:

• While Expensify has a high level of trust, our investigation has revealed that the company's complaint resolution process is inadequate and ineffective. As a result, only 0% of 10 complaints are resolved. The support team may have poor customer service skills, lack of training, or not be well-equipped to handle customer complaints.
  • Expensify protects their ownership data, a common and legal practice. However, from our perspective, this lack of transparency can impede trust and accountability, which are essential for establishing a credible and respected business entity.

Expensify They were to reimburse about 600 dollars of expenses for me

E
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Expensify Expensify is fraudulently charing me up to 400$ a month for services i am not utilizing

Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Expensify Expensify continues to Spam my email multiple times a month

N
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Expensify Our organization joined Expensify to see if it would work for our employees who travel

E

Expensify I have been a customer for 10 years of ***

B

Expensify I have been a customer for 10 years of ***

R
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Expensify I subscribed to Expensify service to process travel reiumbursments for my small veteran-owned business

Overview of Expensify customer experience

Expensify has received negative feedback from consumers regarding its customer service. Users have reported lengthy wait times and unhelpful responses from representatives. Additionally, some users have experienced issues with the app's functionality, such as difficulty in linking bank accounts and missing receipts. Furthermore, the pricing structure has been criticized for being unclear and confusing. These issues have led to frustration and dissatisfaction among users. If you're considering using Expensify, be aware of these potential problems.
Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

Expensify contacts