chenyin zhong Aug 05, 2010

I totally agree that energy plus is a scam. They charge me 18.895 cents/kwh in July, compared with 10.625 cents from a local energy company. I already switched back.

• Su
    Supercomputers Aug 02, 2010

They are a 100% complete Scam Stay away.

• St
    Stewed715 Jul 15, 2010

I enrolled in April and I am leaning towards agreeing with you all. My offer came through through JetBlue's True Blue reward points ... and based on my findings - not sure if it's worth it in the long run...

My June bill says I am paying 19.8750 cents/kwh -
    I looked up other ESCO providers on poweryourway.com -
    and my old supplier (CON ED) is 9.05 cent/kwh ...

I understand this # fluctuates but my bills have been higher since Energy Plus came into the picture ... I am so afraid of my July bill ...

• Sm
    SMPNYC Jul 12, 2010

Energy Plus offer is a scam. I am looking at a 200% increase in cost of electricity. The catch for me was Delta Sky Miles. American Express helped me to get ripped off withi this Energy Plus scam. If you have any common sense do not take the bait they offer.

• Nu
    Nu-Nu Apr 27, 2010

Thank you all for your posts. I received an email from Best Buy Rewards with the following offering:

When you partner with Energy Plus as your electric supplier, you’ll be working with the only company in New York that offers you Best Buy Reward Zone points for your everyday electricity use. You’ll earn points while still receiving the same reliable service from your local utility company.

Enjoy these great benefits with Energy Plus

* Earn 2, 500 Best Buy Reward Zone points as a special bonus after your second month as an Energy Plus customer*
    * Earn Best Buy Reward Zone points every month — 2 points for every $1 on the supply portion of your bill*
    * Receive monthly sales tax savings — up to 9.75% on the delivery portion of your bill**
    * Enjoy the same service without risk, fees, or long-term commitment

After reading all these posts, I will definitely PASS on this offer and do not approve of Energy Plus' business methods.

• Dm
    dmc56 Mar 27, 2010

Do not go with Energy Plus! I'm a New York City resident. Just cancelled my billing with Energy Plus. I went with Energy Plus on the asumption I would save money. NO CHANCE !! Their rates this month were 18.8 cents, Con ed was 7 cents. I've been with Energy Plus for 6 months now. Every bill higher and higher ! We're not even into the summer months. Do not go with Energy Plus!

• Pr
    prof.karen.nakamura Mar 19, 2010

I'm glad I found this site! I also got a letter from Delta with the EnergyPlus offer. After checking around, it seems that EP is selling electricity for over 15 cents a kwh and when I checked on my provider's website, the cheapest was $0.09 or almost 40% less.

Switching would have given me 10, 000 bonus miles, but almost $40 more a month in electricity bills. Not worth it!

• Ro
    RODRIGUEZ Fabien Mar 10, 2010

sinowatches.com kindly advise you to pay by paypal because there are so many scam site and scam sellers out there on the internet. Watch sinowatches.com review of watches on youtube.

• Be
    bettym Mar 10, 2010

I tried speaking with a ConEd rep about my bill. She was totally rude and I was on hold for about 20 minutes. They basically instructed me to call Energy Plus and ask for my money back. When you go to a gas station, fill up your tank and then find another station with gas 10 cents cheaper, do you get a refund?
    When calling Energy Plus to discuss, I spoke with a very polite rep who answered my questions. Rates are variable, and there were many months my rate was lower than ConEd. I doubt ConEd would give me any credit for those months.
    Bottom line, there are no guarantees every company will save you every month. At least you have a choice. ConEd will gauge your eyeballs out with delivery charges, regardless of who your supply comes from. And they could care less.

• Hl
    Hlbstb1 Mar 03, 2010

Thank you for all these posts. I'm in CT and we just received this offer in the mail. They have been harrassing us about changing, which made me suspicious. Even after telling them that we would call them if we wnated it, they called at least 3 times a day. Total harrassment! I will stay with my current provider for now.

• Ra
    Ray138 Feb 21, 2010

I just noticed the difference today between Energy Plus and Con Edison as the electricity supplier. I am very stupid to believe them I can save money by switching from con ed. to energy plus. I took out all my bills (over 9 months), and compared the difference from my friend which lives next to me. The latest billing summary as of Jan 20, 2010; I used 265 kWh, the total delivery charges is $46.59 + $49.50 (electricity supply charges by Energy Plus) = $96.09

However you know what I found out from my friend's bill? He got total charges $77.25; he used 283 kWh, total delivery charges is $47.43 + $26.49 (electricity supply charges by Con Edison) = $77.25; which he paid about $20 less than me even used more electricity than me. What a shame for Energy Plus!!!

Thus I briefly calculate the overpaid for 9 months, and i have the total $359.78

In conclusion, Energy Plus is a scam, go call your original supplier, and switch back to it, you can save several hundred bucks in a year.

• Rs
    RSmitty Feb 19, 2010

I just received a bill from Energy Plus that was $0.15 per Kwh. Called Central Hudson to see what they are charging, and it is 0.0855. Do not be tempted to switch based on the promise of miles or hotel points. This will end up costing you big $!! They have no explanation for their outrageous rates, other than they buy electricity daily and costs have been rising.

• Pe
    pennypinchinginNY Feb 18, 2010

I received an offer to get JetBLue points for switching, their literature did not provide too much detailm, so I was immediately suspicious. Thanks to these postings, I am going to toss in the garbage their offer. I do have a question on how do I know if I'm getting the best price from my current provider? Any insight into tis would be greatly appreciated!

Joe Policastro Jr. Feb 14, 2010

I just got the promotion in the mail and after reading these disappointing comment I am going to stay with C L & P.

• Fe
    F*** Energy Plus Feb 08, 2010

I'm a Con Ed coustomer in NY and was told that I would have to wait for at least one billing cycle to complete for Energy Plus to be removed from my account after finally waking up and doing research. YOU NEED TO ASK CON EDISON TO CANEL YOUR CURRENT ACCOUNT AND RE-CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT FOR YOU IF YOU WANT TO DROP ENERGY PLUS IMMEDIATELY. They will not offer that option to you, you need to request it.

• Jf
    jfav Feb 02, 2010

I AM FURIOUS! The same thing happened to us with Energy Plus - in the last 7 months we have been charged $442 MORE than we would have paid had we been with National Grid as our supplier! It makes me so angry that they get away with the FALSE ADVERTISING. Needless to say, we've since switched back and will never make that mistake again!

• Po
    poorpapa Jan 28, 2010

I can't even begin to tell you what a rip-off Energy plus has been. My poor father has been paying 14 cents an hour and this month his rate went to 17 cents. His bill is $1, 200 and that's US dollars! Con Ed's current rate is 8 cents and last month's was 6 cents and He has been paying 14 cents for several months...

I told my father to call them and demand his money back for the rip-off. Plus he NEVER got his 3% rebate that they promised and it he has been with them over a year!

Good luck NY residents and we should do something with the NY Attorney General Office!

• Sl
    slat Jan 20, 2010

I signed up for Energy Plus in CT and my bill has actually gone down a little. The first month it was up a bit and I was alarmed. I waited to see my second bill and everything was in line as promised.
    I am not sure if I am getting the service I am due to the complaints about or my location. I just know I am paying a little less and I am collecting Sky Miles each month.
    I am very happy with the service.

Kevin

• Np
    npete Jan 16, 2010

Paul, I could not agree more. We just recently got a letter telling us we get a bonus and cashback for switching to Energy Plus if we switch from CL&P. Obviously intrigued, I was trying to get some more information online and stumbled upon these comments.

So thank you all for commenting. I would have gotten extremely angry if we ended up going through with the switch and had our bill jump. Their letter is going right in the trash.

Pete

• Pp
    PPY Dec 14, 2009

I just received ad by mail about Energy Plus. After reading all these negative about this company. I am not switching over to it from CL&P.
    I don't believed that no government regulation to monitor this type of company scam.
    Well, thank god I read all these before I switch.

Paul

• Li
    lincoln stoller Dec 10, 2009

I was solicited by Energy Plus today and found the offer suspicious. First I was asked to look at my Central Hudson bill to see if I qualified and then, when I said I didn't have it, i was told that I automatically qualified. I was then offered to save on various minor line items, such as sales tax, but not told that this saving would entail changing subscribers. First the sales person wanted to "hook" me.

I had previously been offered cheaper electricity by IDT, an offer I accepted and which resulted in huge overcharges such as are described above. IDT is a fortune 1000 company that also offers the PennyTalk calling card, which is another huge scam that cost me up to a couple of hundred dollars when I attempted to buy their calling card to avoid expensive "off system" cell phone charges during a trip to Canada. PennyTalk is advertised in the AAA magazine, which is where I first learned of it. I incorrectly thought AAA would somehow vet their advertisers at a minimal level, but that was wishful thinking.

Having determined that IDT was essentially a criminal enterprise, and that the sale of bargain electricity was attracting companies of this kind, I was naturally suspicious of Energy Plus. I persisted in asking the Energy Plus sales rep questions about what my rate would be but the best they could say was that they'd been consistently low. I had to dig at them to get them to clarify that the rate was floating and that it was not guaranteed to be anything in particular in the future. At this point I told them the best I could do was research their offer and get back to them. Having found the above reports of overcharging my research is finished, and so is my interest in their offer.

• Ha
    Hau Tran Oct 08, 2009

We got scam by Energy Plus also, my first bill is double compare to Central Hudson charged us. Be careful with them, do not listen to their promise. I am thinking about reporting to NY attorney general office and see if they can do anything.

• Le
    Leslie Travers Sep 22, 2009

I am an Energy Plus Supervisor and was very concerned to read about your experience. After looking into our customer database, I was unable to find any account that matches your information, and would like to be able to discuss with you further. I encourage you to call our customer service team at [protected] to handle this situation. With respect to your specific concerns:
    • We offer a market-rate product whereby we buy electricity every day at the best possible price and use that price to set our rate so we can be as competitively priced as possible. We cannot speak to why the utility companies sometimes have lower rates than ours. Rates also do vary across the state of New York so one customer's experience is not indicative of all regions. Right now, many of our customers in NY and CT are receiving rates lower than their local utility and our competitors.
    • The length of time it takes to return back to the utility is completely governed by the utility’s rules. We submit all cancelations immediately and the utility informs us as to when the cancellation will take place. In this instance we would encourage you to call NYSEG and ask them for an off-cycle meter reading so that your billing cycle will end and your service can be switched back more quickly.
    • We do not charge cancellation fees nor lock customers into a contract. Customers can try our service, and if they are dissatisfied, they can cancel at any time without penalty. Unlike our competitors, we offer many different programs which provide extra value to customers such as earning cash back or airline miles. We encourage customers to ask us about our offers to ensure they are receiving the benefit that best suits their needs.

• Sm
    smack68 Aug 23, 2009

I agree. Energy Plus Holdings is costing me hundreds of dollars. I am switching back to NYSEG immediately. I'm a little concerned over what they are going to charge me for my last bill.

Comment Guidelines