Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com company logo
Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com
reviews & complaints
Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

40 complaints
20 resolved 20 unresolved

Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com Go to website

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com reviews & complaints 41 - 40

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com complaints 40

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - denied claim

I have full coverage insurance with direct auto. My vehicle was totaled due to icy conditions. No other vehicle was involved and my car was totaled. It took direct auto over 30 days to reply to...

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - claims

Got in a wreck in Orlando, Fl. Carrier for the person that ran into me was Direct Auto. I have tried multiple times to get a call back. When I finally got a message back, they had told me that the...

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - i'm suing this company

DIRECT GENERAL AUTO INSURANCE CO. IS THE WORST COMPANY TO BE INSURED BY. THEY SHOULD CHANGE THEIR NAME TO DIRECT UNSURE AUTO BECAUSE THEY ARE UNSURE IF THEY ARE GOING TO INSURE YOU. THEY PUT MY ROOMMATE ON MY POLICY, WITHOUT MY APPROVAL WHICH THEN RESULTED IN MY POLICY LAPPING, MY LICENSE BEING TAKEN AS WELL WAS MY TAG BEING SEIZED. IM A SINGLE FATHER OF 3 GIRLS AND NOW I HAVE NO WAY OF GETTING THEM WHERE THEY NEED TO GO. WAY TO GO DIRECT! I HOPE THAT AFTER IM DONE PUTTING ALL MY EVIDENCE THAT YOUR COMPANY IS ### ON LIVE TELEVISION THAT ILL HAVE EVERYONES JOB AND YOULL BE SHUT DOWN AND NEVER HAVE THE CHANCE TO DO IT TO ANYONE ELSE!

W

I'm glad that I'm seeing these reviews. I was in a minor fender bender accident this afternoon after I picked my daughter up from school, no fault off my own, (I was rear ended while waiting for the traffic ahead of me to start moving) and direct General is the at-fault parties insurance company. (Driver said she saw other cars ahead of me starting to move forward and assumed that I had also started moving forward) Anyways, the damage is minimal, and the driver offered to pay the repair costs personally if I didn't make a claim against her insurance. She wasn't offering cash on the spot, just that she'd pay for the repair bill to avoid a claim against her policy. I did get a police crash report with driver information exchanged. After reading all these bad reviews about this company, I think I'll go to a few body shops tomorrow (which I'll need to do anyways) and get a few repair estimates, provide the at-fault driver with copies, and then see if she's still willing to pay out of pocket for the repair, before I file a claim with her insurance company. She may or may not change her mind depending on exactly how much the repair bill is, but I'll just have to wait and see. I was going to contact her insurance company today but after reading these reviews I think I'll hold off for a day until I've gotten actual repair estimates and see if she wants to pay it herself. I'm in no mood to deal with what seems to be an all around bad faith insurance company, if it can be avoided.

For anyone that's already having issues with an insurance company, file a complaint with the insurance commissioner in your state, and they will help you. Insurance companies don't like receiving letters from the insurance commissioner because they know BS won't fly and they can only ignore the state insurance commissioner for so long before their license to practice in the entire state is suspended. In Florida I believe the insurance commissioner will suspend their license if they don't respond within 60 days.

I AM GOING THREW THE SAME THING WITH THIS COMPANY THEY ARE THE WORST OF THE WORST. IF YOU HAVE A ATTOREY I COULD USE ONE TO GO AGAINST THEM. My son was driving my car he was in a accident and they do not want to foot the bill . I had two cars with them never late they said they asked me about my son living with me but they didn't until after the fact. He was living with his father at the time now this 16 yrold kid 4.0 gpa has no license I'm disable already now I'm being sued for over 150, 000

Good luck - they deserved to be sued.

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - worst insurance company

My car was involved in a hit and run. I was parked in a store parking lot and when I came out I noticed my front bumper was sticking out and my drivers side fender was dented and scratched all along the wheel well. My headlight was also pushed in and fender had shifted and cause by lower side skirt to pop out in the rear. This happened on a sunday morning, Direct customer service is not on sunday. So on monday morning I called and went through the claim process. The next day someone was scheduled to come out to look at my vehicle, he came and went without calling me or knocking on my door. He did the adjustments by himself quietly in my driveway and left without ever informing me he was there. Later on that day a claim manager called me and went over everything, I was very upset that the adjuster never contacted me so I can go out and go over everything with him. I waited a whole entire week and Direct had not even sent out the check for me to have my car fixed, I had not driven my car since the incident. So last night I needed to go to the next city over to pick up some things and I didn't want to drive my SUV cause of gas mileage. So I drove my car that was involved in the hit and run, after driving for 30 minutes my front bumper fell off car and was hanging on cause my hood was still closed. I managed to clip the bumper back on and drove it home and noticed that my bumper now had a crack in it. The next morning I called the claim manager and spoke with him and he said that they weren't going to cover the crack on the bumper cause that was caused by me driving it and if I wanted they would send a check to the body shop to have it fixed but my insurance rate would go up. And it has been almost 7 days and they haven't even issued out the initial check to have my car fixed, so how was it my fault when it took them so long to issue the check out, I couldn't take my car to the shop without payment.

Not only that but when I spoke to the claim manager he told me that the adjuster's full report said it wasn't a hit and run and that I must've drove my car into a wall or pole. I was furious when I found that out. I have been driving 20yrs and no accidents, I never hit a thing and I am a very careful driver cause I love and take very good care of my cars. If I hit anything I would own up to it and you can clearly see another vehicles paint chips along the scraps of my car. I kept calling the adjuster and he never picked up and has not replied neither when I left him voicemails. I called the claim manager again and told him to send a different adjuster, he told me he couldn't and that the same guy would only come out. I informed him that if the same guy comes out, I cannot guarantee his safety after the stunt he pulled. He said it'll be up to 5 more days before I receive a check to fix my car, completely ridiculous, 2 weeks for payment to fix my car, worst auto insurance of all time. I am cancelling right after my car is repaired and will forever be an advocate against Direct General Insurance.

D

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - renewal

Here is one for the books. I renewed my insurance in February with Direct General Insurance. Then in April of the same year I was pulled over for get this a suspended drivers license. Apparently the company did not notify the DMV that I had insurance. I was thinking about going with another company back in February so since I didn't renew on the 16th when my policy was to expire they were sure to jump on it to tell dmv my policy had expired. When I went ahead and renewed on the 17th did they even think to report that to the dmv, NO. So I received a $166 ticket for suspended license, $61 for a new license, $6.25 for a temporary license and $30 to take the online course so it wouldn't affect my points on license. The company just claims it is my fault. I didn't know I had to notify DMV whenever I was to purchase car insurance. I thought the company you just spent a arm and a leg with would do their job and notify the dmv. SO WATCH OUT FOR THIS COMPANY THEY WOULDN'T EVEN REFUND ALL THE MONEY I SPENT BECAUSE OF THEIR MISTAKE. FIND SOMEONE WITH BETTER COMPANY ETHICS. JUST A WARNING

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - non payment

I filed a claim in August of 2012. It is March 2013 and I'm still trying to get someone on the phone to handle this claim. I have rental on my policy and no Direct Bill for a rental was ever set up. I had to pay to get the rental car out of my own pocket and submitted my receipt and still have not been reimbursed. The company has been playing phone tag with me for several months and they fail to realize that I work for the largest Car rental company in America. I will certainly never recommend this company to any of my clients.. The adjuster quit the company during the middle of my claim and I was never informed. I waited 3 months and then called and told that she no longer worked there and my file would be turned over to the next team member.. This company is not professional at all. It seems like they look for ways to not pay for claims... Stay far away from this company.. You will pay your premiums and never get a proper claim filed.. As soon as my policy expires, I will run to a company that knows what customer service is.

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - claims dept.

I was recently in a car accident in October 2012. It was the first time I've had a car accident and I hope it will be the last one. After filing the police report and obtaining the information from...

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - dot want to pay claim

direct general is a piece of ### company my friend had an accident in my car report it to direct general and claim is still being review by the manager and they also stated because I did not add my 14 year old son on the police they have to review it or will denied the claim because of this I hate this company so much that I report them to the insurance commissioner for review I wish I could put them out of business never used this company never..

M
Oct 28, 2011

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - doesn't pay claims.

I was rear ended over 3 weeks ago by someone who has Direct insurance and absolutely nothing has been done. The idiots at Direct keep telling me that they have not completed their investigation and...

U
Mar 17, 2011

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - claim not provided for car damage

My car was damaged by a 55 gallon dry storage barrel that fell off a trailer being pulled by a van that was insured by Direct General that I was following down the highway. When it happened I stopped and got the policy information from the driver and we exchanged other information.

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - they sign you up for things you dont want-they lie to your face about it- anything to get your money

Dont Go Here - Im trying to save you the hassle ! They will take all of your money !
I went to them 2 years ago and asked for "the most basic plan I could get required by law - no extras" . They refuse to send statements showing what your paying for because they are adding extras to your bill and hiding them from you! I made all my payments on time and renewed on time and then 3 months later I get a "lapse in coverage" letter. Apparently they did not process my renewal correctly and guess who gets to foot the bill ? ? You guessed it- ME . $50+ later and few months go by and I get a letter in the mail saying "adjustments have been made to your policy - $10 has been added to your monthly premium" . I call to see what they are talking about and am told ..." i dont see that we have sent you any letters" ...so ask well "how much is my policy saying i pay monthly?" . I am told 3 different numbers, none of which I am actually paying. getting suspicious... I ask them to go over exactly what my plan covers they say I have basic insurance PLUS . . .this this this and that... ALL EXTRAS !!! Come to find out I am and have been paying for all these "OPTIONAL EXTRAS" that i declined to begin with for months ! I renewed over the phone because of my crazy work hours and limited time off and of they dont record all of there phone calls so they say I dont have any "PROOF" that I said I did not want any of this. So I sent in a cancellation letter canceling all of these extras they tacked on my bill but they still charged them to me for an additional month after cancellation AND are not even trying to credit back all the money they have charged me .(overall cost to me = several hundred $s) Needless to say I will be going to there largest competition and will gladly pay more to get better service. I will be reporting them to the Better Buisiness Burrow

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - not paying for new part for new car

I wasnt hurt when the person Hit my car, so I asked that he simply replace my bumper. The accident happened right in fron of an auto body shop so we pulled in there and thats where the first estimate was given.
Direct was the insurance co. They came out gave their appraisal and refused to pay for an original factory bumper for my 6 mos. old car. They insisted that an after market bumper was all they were required to pay for. They never said I had to go to their auto body shop or that the mechanic could only use a particular manufacturer. Their fax stated I could feel free to go to any shop I wanted. Now 6 mos. later the bumper proved to have too much mold release and is peeling. Direct refuses to pay. The mechanic doesnt want to eat the cost. The manufacture is raplacing the part, but not the labor and paint. I have now been without a bumper for 3 mos. Direct now says if I went through their body shop it was guaranteed-they should have told me that in the first place!! Now, im screwed!! Thanks Direct!! Moral of story is SUE if Direct is the insurer

J

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - bad company and terrible customer service

My daughter was involved in a traffic accident with our family car. This is a car we depend upon. It was the other persons fault and they received the traffic citation for failure to yield. Direct...

D
Jun 30, 2010

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - horrific business tactics

I already can barely afford insurance, and my previous carrier raised my rates so I ended up switching to Direct Gen. The signup process was easy and I was in contact with one representative to handle everything for me. I submitted all of the paperwork I was asked for and got confirmation via e-mail that I had completed everything there was and I had no further action to take. My insurance kicked in about two weeks later and I assumed, as I had been told, that everything was set.

I thought it was strange that after a month of insurance coverage, I had not yet received my ID cards. for this reason I was on my mailbox every day, eagerly checking for the cards' arrival. They did finally arrive, and with them a slew of other notices from Direct Gen.

Apparently I had not turned in appropriate proof of prior insurance. I had photocopied and sent my ID cards from my prior carrier, but what they wanted was the old declarations page. Due to this, my rate was being raised. That's fair enough, but the problem I had was that I had specifically asked my agent if my paperwork was complete and she told me, in writing, that it was. If I needed to send a different document, why was I not notified at this time? Why did they wait until a month after service had begun to notify me of this missing document?

The kicker here was that I received this same day another notice, dated the day after the rate increase notice, stating that my policy was past due and now in a state of pending cancellation if I didn't pay them by X date! How could my account possibly be past due the day after I was notified of the rate increase? I could not have even physically received the first notice in the mail before they had generated me a past due/cancellation notice. This was when I decided that I no longer wanted to do business with this company. Their lack of due diligence and poor business tactics was appalling, and it didn't help that everyone over there was incompetent and spoke like we were conducting street business.

I wish I could say that this is the end of the story, but it is not. I've cancelled insurance and swapped to another carrier before, and always was able to do so quickly and easily with a prompt refund of my paid-in-advance premium. But not with Direct Gen. I spent a week trying to cancel my insurance with these people. Every time I called or e-mailed, it was like no one had any idea what was going on. Don't they have some sort of centralized case file with notes on it in their systems? Shouldn't they be able to pull up my policy and tell me the status? It was a frustrating nightmare dealing with them and I was so glad that I never had to file a claim with them.

But oh, it still isn't over. This was a month ago and I STILL haven't received my refund for five months worth of premium paid in advance. And just like cancelling the policy, no one has any idea what's going on. They swear they sent the check, but don't think they did. Their notices all got here within two days of their dates, so I'm pretty sure my check should have gotten here just as quickly. They are blaming the postal service, but the fact of the matter is that they owe me hundreds of dollars and as of tomorrow it will have been 30 days since my policy was cancelled. Every other company I've done business with has simply refunded to my credit card, the same way I paid them. No alleged checks lost in the mail. If Direct gen doesn't give me my money, there will be hell to pay.

So, my accident occured on the second of november 2013 three weeks later they finally call and tell me that they need to make sure the state trooper wrote the correct date on the citation the day i was given tickets for my accident, basically saying that they need to make sure that the copies of the tickets i faxed them the state trooper did not lie, that the day was infact the day of the accident. so now its december 30th 2013 and the insurance company Direct General Auto will not return my messages or phone calls, so i called my car dealer and asked them whats going on, Auto Express in orlando florida. and she had told me shes never had a problem with my insurance company until this claim that they were very rude to her. offended that my car dealer was in fact asking questions about their plans to pay off my claim and they lady said im going to give you to my manager i dont like you asking these questions the car is fully covered but we are not going to pay right now... and again now it is December 30th 2013, no returned phone calls. none at all i highly DO NOT RECOMMEND DIRECT GENERAL AUTO INSURANCE. Thanks to them im losing my job my house and i cant get to school.

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - no valid insurance?!

My husband and I were just pulled over by a county policeman for...NO VALID INSURANCE!?!

We were so puzzled as to why we were being pulled over that it simply didn't register. We showed the officer our renewal. He needed something verifying coverage within the past 30 days as the documentation did not show. It just so happens that we pay the premiums over the phone and receive a receipt in the mail. We did not have the receipt in the dash and so the officer needed to call Direct.

The officer dialed ALL of the numbers in the binder and all of the numbers said the same. The offices were CLOSED. There was absolutely NO ONE to confirm that we had valid insurance.
I searched through my Blackberry and found a confirmation # and date of last payment.

The officer said that he believed my husband and I WERE telling the TRUTH. We are eternally grateful because if said officer wanted to be technical; my husband would be under arrest, the car impounded, and I'd be dialing the Blackberry trying to get out of a totally unecessary mess!

I've been trying to contact Direct to no avail. I received no help from Roadside Assistance regarding this matter; however, I will find resolution and compensation of some sort.

My next complaint is to the Georgia Insurance Commissioner's office.

Attn: For all the ones that has been wronged via Direct General. Good news; you may have up to five, yes 5 years to get your claims heard.
1st. Contact your local city small claims office, to file a small claims suit to get the ball rolling.
2nd. Let them know, we the people are no longer taking their crap. All insurance companies: Delay, Denie and Defend, it’s their golden rule. Bottom line until we the people stand up and speak up, hold them accountable, Direct General will continue to do what they do best. Bleed us out of our money that lawfully ours on our claims.
3. Once you file the simple start forward small claims complaint, pay the small fees, serve it upon them. Good thing is, the major big shot lawyers that defend them are not allowed in small claims court. That's right, it’s you against them and a fair Judge that is there to listen to what you have to say.
4. Make sure the court clerk’s office have your correct contact information:
cell number, home or business address. Once you file your claim in small claims court, make sure you ask for a court date. The courts normally will assign you one once the case is assigned to a judge. But you can also ask for one. Most times; the clerks can tell you when your court date is and whom the judge is assigned to hear your matter.
The cost to file a small claims court action is very small considering your amounts your owed and may be awarded.
Be sure to not miss your court date, and if Direct General fails to show, simple as for a DEFAULT JUDGEMENT.YOU WIN.

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - nonpayment

My car was damaged by a 55 gallon dry storage barrell that fell off a trailer being pulled by a van that was insured by Direct General that I was following down the highway. when it happened I stopped and got the policy information from the driver and we exchanged other information. Direct sent an adjuster to assess the damage to my car, but I never heard back from them. Now they are saying that because they cannot get in touch with their insured, that I am out of luck. What good is an insurance company that will not take care of a simple justified claim.

4. Make sure the court clerk’s office have your correct contact information:

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - claims

I was a Direct General customer for a year. I paid on time every time. I came out of the grocery store to find a huge dent on the side of my car by the gas tank door. I called and asked if it wa...

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - customer dis satisfied of insurance coverage not legit

I have been a long time customer of direct auto insurance and i was resently involved in a mass flood storm in houston texas we had water as high as 10 to 12 inches for several days cars were stalled...

Q
Mar 12, 2009

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - bad service

1.) Applied for benefits during open enrollment, filled out an evidence of insurability form for life insurance policy and clicked on short term/ long term disability.
2.) I noticed only life came out only on (7/11 check), so I called Anita to inquire about disability benefits that following Monday. She said everything was submitted and she seen that I had clicked on short/long term disability, but she’s waiting on approval and mentioned that it takes awhile.
3.) Received check on 7/25, still didn’t see it taken out, so I called that following Monday and Anita said, it still hasn’t come back yet.
4.) I receive 8/8 check, still nothing, so I call Anita and she says that it is going to be disapproved because I’m pregnant. (Pre-existing condition)
5.) On the 20th of Aug., Amanda helped me locate the contact number for The Life Insurance Dept. that handles Short term/Long term disability info.
6.) I call on the 21st of Aug, gave my Soc. Security number and they said I’m not showing in the system, and I ask customer service if pregnancy is considered denial due to it being pre existing and they said no, it goes through underwriting, just like any other claim.
7.) I call Anita, and she yells telling me that my pregnancy is pre existing and I will be disapproved due to past experiences and customer service doesn’t know what their talking about, only underwriting, and that customer service couldn’t find me through my ss# because my paperwork is in the underwriting dept. but she couldn’t provide me a number to contact that dept.
8.) I inquired about my paperwork not being their due to them not finding me by my social sec. number, and she persisted on saying that she submitted everything, My EOI and any other information they needed and she continued to say that they deal with 900 other people and it takes time for them to get to me.
9.) I call Amanda, because this issue is not getting resolved and my DSM calls Anita
10.) Anita tells my DSM that she’s just waiting on paperwork for me to send back before she even talked to me
11.) Then Anita calls me after she spoke with my DSM asking for a fax number to send the EOI to and for me to fax it back. Because she said she went through my records and realized that I didn’t do an EOI for the Short/Long term Disability.
12.) I was off that day (September 22nd) so I came to work the next day and faxed it back.
13.) Now the same day I faxed it back, I have this letter typed up from Anita stating that, I missed the deadline and it’s too late for me to send an EOI for short term/long term disability, when all Anita had to do was check my records from the beginning to see if I was missing any paperwork instead of blowing me off since July.
14.) I feel she lied telling me she did her job when she didn’t when all she had to do is look into it because she judged my pregnancy based on previous experience, and stopped me from even knowing if I was ever going to get approved or disapproved.
15.) Now I find out through Reliance Standard Insurance that I’m disapproved after speaking with Zahkia Geter on Mar 3rd 2017 due to my approval being done late and me getting approved in Sept instead of July.
16.) I feel I’ve been treated wrongfully and unfairly. I’ve done everything I was suppose to do and followed my chain of command and no one seems to be helping me. Now I’m going through a financial hardship because people didn’t do their job.

direct general insurance is the worst auto insurance to ever have my car flooded in the storm virginia just recently had they want to cliam fraud how is that i would never abanded my car its an 2017 bmw x5 i worked hard to get that truck they just dont want to pay i plan oon sueig the insurance company behind my caqr i live on the beach they said they needed to get proof of a storm now they want to send an investagator out here i hope he sees all the damage that has been done to my area

G
Oct 08, 2008

Direct Auto & Life Insurance / DirectGeneral.com - non payment of stolen recovered totaled vehicle

CAR WAS STOLEN SOME TIMES BEFORE DAY APRIL 21 2008 A POLICE REPORT WAS FILED THE CAR WAS FOUND WRECKED AND DECLARED TOTALED BUT HAD TO BE SEEN BY AN ADJUSTER THERE WERE TO SET OF KEYS MY DAUGHTER AND...

1 2