Custom Built Personal TrainingFailure to provide services and failure to cancel contract per their guidelines

E

This company did not provide Personal Training services, trainers were overbooked, could not accommodate my work schedule. When I sent certified letter to cancel, along with the cancellation payment, they continued to withdraw funds from my account. I had to go to the bank and force the stoppage of payment. These guys are crooks!!!

• To
    TonjaA Mar 12, 2018

If in California, and other states may have similar laws specific to health club services or generally related to contracts for installment or per unit services, contact your State's District Attorney or Consumer Protection Bureau to file a complaint regarding potential violation of the California law below:
    CALIFORNIA CIVIL CODE - CIV, DIVISION 3. OBLIGATIONS, PART 4. OBLIGATIONS ARISING FROM PARTICULAR TRANSACTIONS), TITLE 2.5. CONTRACTS FOR HEALTH STUDIO SERVICES

I am not an attorney but given what I have read on these posts, I suggest reading closely the above law (and I found the law regarding Discount Services to potentially be applicable). The law describes installment services but, if the contract for personal training is paid at a "per session fee", the result is the same in terms of refunded monies after cancellation of services not rendered or obtained. You cancel, you pay their cancellation fee if you exceed the time limits allowed in the law (sorry but don't see a way out of this unless you can prove you were mislead or someone misrepresented the contract terms before you signed it). HOWEVER, any installment payments remaining to be paid, any already paid in advance, or any sessions paid in advance, or due to be paid after cancellation of the contract, MUST be refunded to you or no longer owed to the health entity once you cancel (if they are billing you). They cannot keep monies for services you have not used! But don't apply to credit a termination fee, my advice would be to keep the funds separate to avoid confusion.

Further, ALL such health services contracts in California are voidable if they don't include the specific contact data, and at 14pt font, stated in the above law expressly as written. The law states you CAN email a cancellation, not just send a certified letter. If you do send a certified letter, the contract is deemed termed on the day you SENT the email, not when they receive it.

I hope this is helpful to someone out there in defence of their rights. Read what laws may apply to you online if you are not in California. Good luck to all of you!

• Te
    Teri Chambers Cameron Jun 12, 2016

Did anyone that commented here get any response from Custom Built?

• Si
    Sixers Mar 12, 2014

Custom built is a rip offffff one trainer forged my wife name and charged my wife credit card after she knew whole thing is a SKAM who wants a fat trainer

Dont!! Jan 14, 2014

I was signing up for a contract to have a personal trainer, the guy told me only $140 would be taken out of my account and not till Feb 10th. Well I go look at my bank statement like always and a total of $329 was taken out of my account! There was no talk about it ever being $329. I have called their main office in Georgia AND emailed them total of 12 times within the last week. Little did I know the lady gave me the WRONG address to send my cancellation letter AND It's going to take 30 business days for my refund. So now I have sent two letters, called and emailed multiple times to get no damn response. They tell you it will only be so much but then add stuff on with out even telling you AND taking money out of your account that you didn't know was going to be taken out. If you really need a personal trainer go to your gym and ask if they have people who do it on their own time, not through custom built. They are not honest and will try to screw you over however they can.

• Fi
    Fitness-Geek Oct 16, 2012

Ladies and Gentlemen...I have read many of these comments and you are dead on. I have spent 10+ years in the fitness industry and have done every job including management and personal training. This POS company "Custom Built" brings much shame on all real personal trainers and fitness geeks out there. The business model for this company is as follows: Low over head (employee wage), High sale volume (YOUR MONEY). They bill it as affordable and flexible, its not and it will never be. You guys need to ask yourself a question when you get told "How great it will be" with custom built and others like them, does it sound too good to be true????? IT IS! Its not the trainers fault. They aren't being paid above the poverty line in wage and its because of that low wage custom built cant higher real knowledgeable professionals. So people, you get what you pay for in this case. If the guy working the fry-o-later at McDonald's is making more than your trainer, how good do you think they will be??? The bottom line is the system isn't designed AT ALL, with you the customer in mind. Its money driven, floods the market with under paid/under trained garbage trainers, and will go the way of the Dodo soon enough I think. The more knowledgeable you the consumer is, the faster this company will be forced to change how they do business. The first word in the title 'Personal Trainer" is PERSONAL, meaning for you. When I look around for a car and I find 2 identical models and one is 7, 500 under retail, I tend to be suspicious. ASK QUESTIONS!!! What are the trainer's credentials? (certifications---side note no 2 certifications are the same many are BS so do your home work when they tell you what it is, 2 good ones would be ACE and NASM---, degrees, etc.) Will you only be working with them in your designated time slot or passed around like a sorority girl at a frat house? (your time is valuable, you need to know that the time slot wont be jerked around too much and you cant expect the next trainer your passed to, to be on the same page since they aren't the one you singed up with) How long have they been a trainer and where? (the area will be info on the demographic of clients they had (the bulk of them should be working professionals 30's-50's, not college students and retirees) Get some freebie work outs in with them to see if this is the trainer for you and that they have your individualized goals in mind. If they are skilled at training 20 year old athletes and your 55 and just need to regain some mobility, they may not be the right fit. (test drive the car, and find the right one. If your shopping for a mini van don't ask the sales guy to take the Maserati out for a spin). My last words of wisdom in all of this is, in the end, I'm OK paying retail if I am getting the car "I" want that hits all the checks on my list, not one some sales guy suckered me on. Everyone wants a good deal and times aren't so great for the working stiffs right now so I don't blame you for looking, but don't let price cloud your judgement and be the only thing in determining weather or not your getting a trainer, PROTECT YOUR SELF WITH KNOWLEDGE . ---The good trainers are worth their weight in gold for the lives the have helped change---. Something to keep in mind during your search. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!

• Si
    SICKANDTIREDDAMNIT Aug 03, 2012

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT START OR SIGN ANY KIND OF CONTRACT WITH THESE CROOKS THEY LIE AND MANIPULATE YOU TO MAKE THEM SEEM LIKE THEY ARE TRUSTWORTHY AND CONVENIENT THEY TELL YOU WHAT SOUNDS GOOD ...THEY SUCK THEY CHANGED UP TRAINERS ON ME AND SHORTEN MY SESSION TIMES THEY LIED TO ME ABOUT SO MUCH AND NOW I OWE THEM 2000 DOLLARS BECAUSE I QUIT ON THEM I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THIS COMPANY!!

• Tl
    tlmom Jul 09, 2012

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! I got laid off from my job and told my trainer I had to stop my sessions because the gym was no where near my house. She never told me that I had signed up for "Auto Renewal" of my contract nor how to stop the payments. When I finally realized I was still being charged for sessions it took weeks to get the a call back from the training center at Gold's Gym in Indianapolis then then they only gave me the address of where to mail my letter. They refused to give me a phone number of the corporate office. I found the phone number online and now they refuse to refund my money. I agreed to a 9 month contract so I have no problem paying the full 9 months but anything beyond that should be refunded to me especially since my trainer knew my situation. To make matters worse they are still charging me for this month because they require a 30 day notice of cancellation. This company is a total scam. I wish I would have researched it before I signed up. Has anyone sued them to get their money back? I'm considering it.

• Ta
    Tasha P. Jul 01, 2012

I signed up with these people for one session per week/ four sessions per month for a year. I attended three sessions (3 weeks) then I had the flu and couldn't go workout for two weeks. As I was getting over the flu, a close family member passed away so I didn't train for another 2 weeks. Not once had anyone called me to find out why I hadn't attended my regular sessions. Yet, at the end of the month, they still deducted the funds from my account. I don't think these people really care about their clients' satisfaction. I believe as long as they have an account number to deduct the funds that's all that matters. I will cancel my membership as soon as I have a chance. For anyone who's planning to sign up with them, I would suggest you find another company.

• Lo
    los moreno's Apr 04, 2012

As everyone above our expirence was the same. first they get you with a free session, then have you sign very quickey on the dotted line to take your money. We had our first session and a no show. second time she totaly forgot we were to meet in the am ( 5:30 ) called me at 5:30 pm to ask where i was. hum... then text me to let me know she was no longer going to train she got another job. well we got the shaft. Oh and now they want to collect $1, 400. Because i didn't fulfill my contract. I agree these guys should be out of business !!!

Samantha J. Mar 02, 2012

THESE GUYS ARE CROOKS! This is by far the worst customer service experience ive ever had! I was harassad by one of the representatives at the Concord CA location for about 2 weeks-including phone calls past business hours and countless voicemail messages-until i decided to give them a try after being told by the representative that i would be able to cancel it at ANYTIME.Only problem is that when i did try and cancel my membership i was told by a very rude customer service representative at theis 800 number that i would have to pay another months worth of training plus $250 cancellation fee.I tried to explain my situation to him and that i was moving to another country to no avail they guy would not let me talk and i ended up letting him know how unhappy with the service i was. I tried a different approach and went to the gym to try and talk to a representative in person and that was another horrible experience. The lady asked me for my full name in order to access my files and she kept on looking at the screen and laughing.I asked if there was a problem and she proceeded to read the notes the first representative had written on my files-calling me stupid and rude.I worked with customer service for over 10 years and never before in my life felt so disrespected in my entire life. I was also told in the beginning of the program that i would have a personalized nutrition plan and self guided workouts which i never did.I would NOT recommend this service to my worst enemy.Two thumbs down for Custom Built.

• Li
    LisaPissedOff Oct 15, 2011

This also happens at the Margate, FL location. They switched trainers on me 4 times. I will never recommend this company. I have more motivation on my own then feeding into their BS

• Ji
    jimboski Aug 30, 2011

wooooowwwwwwwwww!

• Js
    JSell Jun 20, 2011

I am going through the same thing with them right now. It's like pulling teeth to get payments to stop coming out of your account, you speak to someone two months ago and no record was kept of ANYTHING, so they tell you each time you call, "This will be considered your 30 day notice." AND THE MEMBER SHIP IS NEVER CANCELED!

• Sp
    SPORTSJUNKIE Apr 28, 2011

TERRIBLE COMPANY FROM THE TOP ON DOWN TO THE BOTTOM. UNEDUCATED PERSONAL TRAINERS. HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE DOING...AT ALL! NO KNOWLEDGE OF FITNESS OR NUTRITION! HOW DO THEY GET HIRED? COMPLETELY GOD-AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE AND GENERAL MANAGERS AS WELL. THERE ARE SOOO MANY LAWSUITS PENDING. JUST READ THE COMPLAINT POSTS! THE THING IS PEOPLE ARE SO DESPERATE TO GET IN SOME KIND OF SHAPE THAT THEY BELIEVE ANYTHING THAT IS SAID TO THEM. THATS NOT OKAY IF ITS NOT THE TRUTH! I HOPE AND PRAY THAT JUSTICE PREVAILS SOMEDAY AND THE PEOPLE ARE SOMEHOW VINDICATED WITH SOME KIND OF PAYOUT OR MONEY SETTLEMENT. THIS COMPANY IS AT THE VERY BOTTOM OF THE TOTEM POLE AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE.

maggiemay0575 Apr 26, 2011

same thing happend to me i did had 2 knee surgeries so i couldn't work -out for while, when i sign contract i was told i could cancel any time without any payments owned, ha WRONG, i did send cancelation letter with my doctor's note that i wont be able to work out .and i got charge $ 880.00 dollars for cancelations so it did take my some time to pay them bcz i did refuse to pay, but i did and guess what after i pay it off month later i got another letter form collectors (different company) that i owe $ 880.00 dollars for the same f. thing . so now i am very pissed off and going to ask for my money back bcz all this goes to your credit report and nobody wants to fix it ...so thanks a lot CUSTOM BUILD PERSONAL TRAINING FOR WRIPPING PEOPLE OFF

• So
    soll989 Apr 01, 2011

First of all, any of you that sign any agreement without reading and fully understanding the terms of the contract are the bread and butter of the fitness industry, and I hope you learned your lesson. As Amarillo Slim once said "it is immoral to let a sucker keep his money." Every time I've ever had someone sign up a membership or purchase PT I would cross my fingers hoping that they wouldn't read the contract. Sales can be seen as one of two things: Helping people find real solutions to their real problems, or manipulating people in to believing that they have a problem and then giving them a 'solution.' Every sales training meeting I've ever sat thru talks about getting people emotional and irrational (by giving you a free fitness assessment and then making sure you suck at everything), then using a number of ways to convince you to sign up right this very instant while you are not thinking about anything other than your butt-hurt feelings. The three days you get to think it over? lol. We'll do our damnedest to talk you out of that one, too.
    Here is what I do anytime I may sign a contract: I cross-out any BS that I don't want to be bound to like cancel fees and cancel terms and then I initial it. If they complain or tell me that it is not possible then I gather my stuff and leave. Short of rewriting the entire contract, the one line cross-out is entirely legal and binding. Then I get a copy (or two). Nothing verbal, ever. It is not coincidence that turnover at any gym is rather high, and you will find that 'he said-she said' will ultimately be fruitless since no small claims court will ever accept it. I repeat, nothing verbal, ever.
    As for Custom Built, it is a joke. They run this mantra by you that buying 'packages' of sessions won't help you get fit. You need to sign up for a period of time with a number of sessions per week. Of course the longer you commit for the more you save per session. Makes sense, but only if you know that you will have the trainer you want for the entire time. Most of the trainers are a joke. I had trainers that were felonious convicts, no certifications, maybe CPR. The things I've seen done to clients! The most inappropriate exercises, no record keeping, injuries, missed sessions with no call to follow up, and just generally not giving a damn. But there is always one client who loves that dirtbag trainer so you cant get rid of him.
    The problem is that CB and others pay at best $18/hr while CB charges almost $70-100/hr, (except they do 30-minute sessions, I wont even get going on that nonsense). Good trainers won't stay around long enough to see your contract out. You as the consumer get what CB pays for! CB is not alone on this, they are just the most prevalent.
    Personal training is part personal, part training. Find a trainer who you like who is on their own, make sure they have liability insurance (they will have to have a respected certification to get insurance), and be ready to pay them what they are worth. If you need a better definition for what Custom Built does, or any personal training program that is in house at any globo-big-box-gym, just google 'rent seeking'

• Ti
    Timetoletgoofmyankles Mar 30, 2011

Did they hack into your email as they did mine? Did they attempt to sell "white stuff" in your dressing room as they mine?

• Wow I just went to look this company up to get the address so I could sue them, and this is the first thing that comes up. 3 pages of complaints. Maybe we can start a class action law suite. If interested in litigation please e mail me at the email address I set up for this [email protected] Does anyone know who owns this company.

What a [email protected]#$d up business. I signed a 1 year contract went for 3 months and continued to make payments under contract until my contract was over. Now they still are trying to charge my card. I had to cancel my credit card to get them to stop taking money. They call me every so often to harass me.

joanngs Mar 22, 2011

I was supposed to be on a "4 month" program and that was in July and I am STILL getting charged. Luckily I got my credit card company on top of it saying this is fraud as well because the headquarters in ATL didnt even respond to the Credit Card Company. Strange? The trainer at that gym totally avoids me and no one else will speak to me about it and I even sent the certified letter to cancel the contract after 2 months bc I could not afford it any longer and the letter came back. Something really needs to be done If anyone has any suggestions about it please let me know. I want to get these crooks to stop scamming everyone. I went to custom built out of a gym in Boca Raton, FL. Now a collection company started calling about a month ago saying I owe so much amount and I had to prove to them I tried to cancel and so did my credit card company and I still do not even have proof that I signed anything because it was a VERBAL CONTRACT. I know that there is no proof and I wont owe anymore, but THEY NEED TO BE STOPPED!!! Anyone have any ideas please please let me know! email me! [email protected]

• Ca
    CANARYBIRD1 Mar 21, 2011

I signed up for this after going in for a free session. i did not have plans to sign up for anything, but i had 4 people suggesting that it was a good idea. Even had a guy pose as a customer to show that he did get results. Upon going back to the gym for a session I saw him in a custom built shirt. i guess i should have known then that something was fishy about this company. However, the trainer that they assigned me was not a bad trainer. The only complaint that i had was that i had to work around his schedule and he only worked in the day time and i worked in the daytime so the only time that i saw him was when i was off work. Otherwise i had to refer to a folder that he wrote in to tell me what to work. After about 2 months in... i noticed that my trainer had not called me to book anymore appointments. i called him and left voicemails, but there was no answer. i then went to the gym to talk to the manager. Appearantly she was out of town. I left a message for her and was reassured that she would be contacting me upon her return. Well that was about 2.5 months ago. I guess she went on a long vacation. since then, no one has contacted me and when i go to the gym to look for my folder it's no where to be found. I decided that i would cancel my membership b/c obviously they have cancelled me. Upon speaking to the cust. service rep in atl, i was informed that if i wanted to cancel i had to go to the gym for them to authorize it. Keep in mind that they are still charging me even though i have not had any sessions in the past 2.5 months. So i go to the gym and the girl at the desk tells me she will process this for me and that they have my information on file. A month passes and i think i'm in the clear. I check my online statement and see that i was hit again for the same amount. I called the lady in ATL again to see why wasn't the cancellation fee of 250.00 not taken out of my account as opposed to the normal charge. She tells me that i have to authorize for this to be done. i informed her that i did and she tells me that she has not received word of this. The next day i walk in the grocery store and i run into my trainer. According to him he has been discharged from the company and get this... they fire him via text message... how unprofessional. So, i call back to the cust. serv rep and she tells me that the money that was taken out of my account will not be processed as my termination fee and that i will have to pay an additional $250.00. So, now i'm really upset. She also tells me that since i am in my billing cycle even if i do send in the $250.00 i will still be charged next month. This is absurd and this company is a rip off. They don't do what they say and they are unprofessional. I DO NOT ADVISE ANYONE TO SIGN UP FOR THIS IT IS A SCAM... I REPEAT...IT IS A SCAM!!!

• Mr
    MrsShancha Mar 15, 2011

I too signed a contract with CBPT in Bloomfield, CT. At first, the sessions were running smoothly and the trainer wrote down my exercises, took my measurements, provided some pointers on meals, etc. After the first two-months of sessions, I noticed that the quality of the training was going down, my trainer stopped taking measurements, stopped inquiring and giving me pointers about my diet, and stopped carrying the folder he used to keep track of my workouts. My trainer began to focus more time on being my "friend" instead of my trainer. While I may be considered a personable person, I seriously doubt I would pay someone $200 a month to chit-chat. Regardless of his unprofessionalism, the actual workouts were good and I did see significant improvement. However, for the amount of money I was paying I did not receive the caliber of services that CPBT boasts. Moreover, this company seems to hire anyone who seems to be in marginal good shape and tout them as a trainer. I feel really bad for those of you who endured such horrible experiences and I pray that a class action law suit is underway, if only just on principle. It is tragic when hard working folks get duped by a company--who know doubt--continues to make money hand over fist by employing such unscrupulous practices.

About a month before my contract expired I stopped scheduling my sessions. At that point my trainer spent so much time complaining about not getting paid and about how great he was. I couldn't stomach anymore. Right before my contract expired, I called to have the sessions cancelled since I read the auto-renewal clause [which was not explained to me in my initial consult nor was the contractual percentage cancellation fee which I discovered later]. I was so soured by the experience I stopped going to the gym for about 2 months because I didn't want to run into the trainer. About a month ago the gym called me to check in and urge me to come back in. They also let me know that CBPT was no longer on the premises but after reading all of your comments. I think the reason is clear. Although, my unused sessions were through the CBPT and not through the gym, they graciously offered to pick up the slack and extend the expiration date. Yes, I definitely think a class action law suit should be pursued. At the very least I hope that all involved pay restitution and go out of business. At the most, I hope fraud charges are brought up against the "powers-that-be" including some of the unscrupulous trainers.

• Da
    Dannyperz Jan 28, 2011

I dont understand how this company is still up and going. With as many un happy clients and employees they should have been taken out long ago!I signed up at the In shape gym in Lompoc California. I as well have been blatantly lied to by this company both local and corporate. At first I thought that it was just the general manager who was a lying [censor] but in fact its the company. And it seems that they TRAIN their employees to lie and rip people off the best the can. Same story, I went in to my free session, but I indicated over and over again i cant get into a contract without discussing it with my husband first. So over and over again he told me that the only way to get this "end of the month" deal (it was the last day of the month so it seemed plausible to me), I would have to sign at the hour session. If I leave and come back the offer is no longer offer. But he let me know that its a win win situation for me if i sign on now I lock in the price if i decide i want the training, and if i decide i dont want it I can just walk in anytime within 5 days and cancel with no penalty. I asked if i could take the contract home and they said no it has to stay there to send off. So I got no copy or anything of the contract. I went in the NEXT day and canceled. After he began to berate me and tell me I dont care about my health (in front of other employees), he said fine. gave me a piece of paper and told me to write all my info down to cancel. I asked to make sure that was it and they ALL said yes. I few weeks passed and still no refund of the initial start up fee. when i asked them why they said it takes a while. wait until the end of the month. Then I went in a week later saying i need some form of proof that my contract was canceled and a person from corporate asked if I sent in a letter to corporate for cancellation. I had no idea what she was talking about. she told me to hurry up and write a cancellation letter before I am charged for the next month. So a week later I was charged for the next month. So I called corporate saying I have done everything I was told to cancel why are you still charging me? She said I never sent a $250.00 cancellation fee!! Completely blown away that not a single person told me about this I argued that I had no idea of this and had no way of know being that they never gave me a contract copy! I canceled my credit cards and just paid it because I didnt want my credit ruined but I paid by check because i didnt want them having my credit info anymore. Im still appalled that people can do this. The whole company is not a company of personal training but a company of deceit. How a few top people can convince a whole lotta employees to rip people off is beyond me

• Aw
    awaiting1 Jan 27, 2011

My contract should have been over 1/22/11 instead without my knowlege and permission they did a auto-renewal for a trainer. I send a return receipt letter that they received 2 days later. I just received an email stating my last invoice would be 2/22/11 and they changed my account to no auto renewal, ... whatever that means. I don't owe them anymore money. They never have someone in their office you have to leave a message.

• St
    still mad in MA Jan 08, 2011

I worked for a company called Professional Fitness who has similar complaints. Ironically enough Tareq Othman was affiliated with them as well (his family financed them). How that arrogant little fraud is allowed to operate and have a similar scam going is beyond me

DOWN LOW Jan 06, 2011

WOW! I'M A TRAINER THINKING OF WORKING FOR CUSTOM BULT THROUGH IN-SHAPE, AND I DIDN'T REALIZE THE AMOUNT OF PROBLEMS THERE WERE WITH THESE GUYS. THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I HATE WORKING FOR CORPORATE GYMS. IT'S SO SAD TO HEAR THIS KIND OF FEEDBACK.

DONOTUSECUSTOMBUILT! Dec 28, 2010

After one session with this company I was more than a little irritated!! First off, the trainer was late. Not even a hello when she got there. Then insisted I weigh myself on their scale that looked like it was about to fall apart. I had just been to the doctor that morning and when I got on the scale at the gym, somehow I had gained 20+ pounds since I was at the doctors office. She refused to listen to me when I said that the scale was wrong.
    After taking all my measurements in front of EVERYONE in the gym, she kept saying she didn't have time to show me a workout and then wanted to argue with me because I had only booked 2 sessions a month and when she asked why, I calmed said that I really did not have the money for more, in which she huffed at. Then when I told her that I can't commit to anything steady because of work, she again wanted to argue and I couldn't get her to realize that I do not have a set schedule where I work and that it is impossible for me to keep the same set schedule.
    And Custom Built Workouts? A joke! Complete joke! They don't focus anything on what your body needs. She already had a typed out listing of what we were supposed to do, and when I about passed out? She could just stare at me and ask what was wrong. I had gone through a rigorous workout with no water and no breaks! I was panting and my legs couldn't keep me up anymore. Less than impressed. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!

• La
    Lady DLA Nov 30, 2010

Well, here it is, Nov 2010 and they are still ripping folks off. When I signed up I only paid for 5 sessions, however after those sessions ended I've noticed they are still deducting from my banking account..Ahh Ha, the people at You fit, the ones who sold this contrac t, never told me about the small print. I see now you have to write and cancel as you are automatically renewed and continue to be billed..so here I am..out of an additional $420. This is just wrong by all accounts.

• Ca
    Can't Say Nov 18, 2010

I won't give my name out, but I'm a former sales manager for one of the Custom Builts in the South East. Every above complaint is true. The company screws over its trainers as well. I know this because I played a hand in it. Numerous argument broke out with the General Manager and Assistant General Manager (myself) against the trainers. The trainers were always complaining that they never got paid enough, and that they were missing hours.

There is a system on the computer, that the trainers would log their trainer number into, and check off their training sessions. One of my job duties was to delete a couple of sessions from each trainer. It was done in such a way that the client would still be charged for their session, but a trainer wouldn't get paid for it.

For instance, if a trainer performed 60 training sessions, we would only pay him/her for 56. If you did 30, you would get paid for 28. If you did 15 sessions, you got paid for 14. There is no way for the trainers to figure out which sessions they weren't getting paid for, so they always lost arguments against us.

If they got to clever about it, we would find other ways to get around it. For instance, "Don't worry about those two sessions. You're getting paid for it next paycheck." If you still didn't leave it alone, we would find an excuse to fire you.

It was a near perfect system. Eventually my conscience got the better of me and I quit.

Custom Built, plainly put, screws over everybody.

• Di
    disappointed2much Nov 13, 2010

I work for the company, unfortunately, and only stay there out of convenience. I have a few clients that I've kept for over three years because they like me so much. I feel a sense of duty to them. I've seen all the bad stuff go down there: when I first started in a second gym, people I didn't know would walk into the office and start yelling at me. A bunch of trainers had quit and gotten fired and were not being accommodated by new trainers. I'm a real professional and did my best to help them. I've seen literally at least 20 managers come through there. I can't remember them all. I have not gotten a raise in over three years. I only stay there because I have another profession and I want to keep training on the side part time. My new manager just gave me a really hard, unwarranted time about something and now I might just quit. Pretty bad when the current employees have to say how bad things are on message boards. These guys really suck to work for.

• Fr
    Frustrated911 Nov 11, 2010

CBPT is the worst personal training company on the market. They sucker you into getting contracts by playing on your insecurites and making you feel like just working out on your own is never enough and you will NEVER meet your goals unless you get their help. I signed up for a year-long contract with 1 session per week (4 sessions a month). They were supposed to give me a card with personalized workouts for me to do on my own for 2 days and a weekly nutritional plan...NEVER HAPPENED! Initially, my trainer was very rude and made me feel like I was being lazy when I couldn't perform some of the exercises. I mean, hell, I am here because I know I am out of shape and wish to lose the weight. But I also know that it takes time to develop strength to perform some of the activities. Anyway, as it gets closer to the end of my contract I try to access my account online to see how many sessions I have left. I could not access it and contacted the manager at my local gym, but I NEVER got a call back. Finally, I found my e-mail from a year prior and realized that my last payment was paid. So, I send a written notification that I wanted to cancel and did not want to go month to month. Well, it wasn't "WITHIN 30 days", so they attempted to charge me for another month. Bad thing is, I had already canceled my gym membership and would not be able to do 4 more sessions. They were like, oh well, you are still responsible for those sessions. I really dislike their customer service and their dishonesty. Getting a contract with CBPT was the worst experience ever and I will never do it again.

• Da
    Dallas (Atlanta) GA Nov 03, 2010

I agree that Custom Built are crooks. They high pressure sold my wife and her sister into signing a contract right after they had done a work out at Work Out Anytime near Atlanta. They never gave a copy of the contract to us. My wife and her sister decided the next day to not do the Custom Built deal and tried to get a hold of the trainer that sold it to them. It took them several days to eventually get the trainer to call back.

When they did get a hold of the trainer she said that cancellations had to be a certified letter and within 3 days. They already missed that window. My wife went ahead and sent the certified letter.

Custom built continued to bill our credit card for months and months even though we cancelled. Even though the fine print has a minimum cancellation fee if after the 3 days. We shouldn't even have to owe that since we never received a copy of the contract until Custom Built sent one to American Express.

Oh and then it turns out the address to mail the cancellations changes depending on which contract Custom Built sends to you. Custom Built sent another copy of the contract to American Express months later and the address had changed; the first address came up with return to sender when my lawyer sent his letter.

I could go on and on. They are crooks and took us for about $500 and provided nothing but wasted time and anger. I'd like to pursue that $500 but I've grown weary of the crooks. It would probably cost more in lawyer fees to pursue.

• Ej
    ejlightcap Oct 12, 2010

I would stop payments on your bank first so they can't take out anymore money. 2nd I would write letters to the Attorney General's office, Better Business Buear and the Commissioner of Consumer Protection. 3rd contact a local news channel to get this story out and if enough of people are complaining hopefully this company will be exposed for what it really is.

downtofitness Sep 30, 2010

I don't know where this is all coming from. The manager I've had the pleasure of working with makes it so fun for me! I get high fives, chest bumps, and pinky swears allllll daaayyyyy loooongggg. I've never worked out before and was really nervous. The manager clearly explained what it will take to get from point A to point B, help set up my goals, took me through an evaluation workout and then when it was all said and done I was in his office spilling my heart in tears of why this meant so much to me. It was then I knew he really cared. I had to ask him to join their training team multiple times because he wasn't concered about anything else but WHY I wanted to change my life. After about 15 minutes he finally showed me my options that I was so desperatly wanting to see. Since being on the team I've changed my life more than I could have imagined. The trainers of this gym all work together to serve their clients and actually care about your results. Even though I didn't work with the manager more than that one time I knew he took amazing care of me and chose the perfect trainer for me. I must be one of the lucky ones who had the opportunity and pleasure to work with this fine company.

• Cu
    CustomBuiltthater29 Sep 11, 2010

I recently signed up two months ago. When I first signed up the manager told me it would be a $275 cancellation fee, which I was okay with. However, when I went to the manager and told him I needed to cancel he said well it looks like you have nice highlights in your hair and I'm pretty sure you own a nice purse and wear expensive makeup but you can't afford to pay for a trainer. I was highly upset with how he talked to me, and he would not tell me how to cancel. He told me to find someone to help me pay it. I came back the next day and asked again how to cancel and he finally gave me corporates number. When I called them they told me it would be 504 to cancel. I was never told it was 15 percent of the TOTAL contract price. I wasn't even told it was a percentage at all. When I asked them if I could pay the percentage of what I owe they told me no that I had to pay the percentage against the total contract price. I have already paid for a couple of months so I don't understand why I have to pay a percentage of what I have already paid for. I absolutely hate this company and the manager I am having to deal with. I would not recommend it to anyone. I have no idea what to do at this point because they are telling me if I want to cancel it will be a total of 780. That is ridiculous. If anyone can figure out how to stop them let me know.

• 55
    551373 Sep 08, 2010

I have worked for this company myself. I have been training there for 8 months and I have not been paid correctly. No one will return my calls about it. Also, all my clients have the same problems with being ripped off and they take payments out after the cancellation. They also were not taking any of my taxes out a random few months so now I owe at the end of the year. SOMEONE needs to stop this!!!

• As
    AshlieRyan Sep 05, 2010

Excuse my French but, it must be said: "[censor] THIS COMPANY!" [censor]ing crooks, they are, every last one of 'em. I signed a contract on a whim at seventeen years old with no parent, adult, or legal guardian present. The manager was really pressuring me and I figured it would be a good investment; however, once I started thinking about it I decided I wanted to decline. I was told over and over by the manager at my gym that he would "call me back." Never got a call. I tried Corporate, no answer and no response to my multiple voicemails. I was already throughly dissatisfied because they wouldn't even set me up with an appointment with a trainer. Now I am being billed 260 a month for a service which I am not receiving. Tuesday, I'm going down to Small Claims Court and I am confident that I'm going to win. I'm hoping to get more money then they have taken from me in order to compensate for the stress, hassle, and wasted money this company has taken me for. I advise anybody wanting to sign with them: NO, NO, NO!!!

Annyed Aug 10, 2010

The manager in Bloomfield Ct just got a DUI and is serving. Those are the type of people they love to hire. There are others just as sketch.

• Cb
    cbptscam Aug 06, 2010

I worked for CBPT and had similar experiences. Numerous complaints from clients who signed in under former sales "managers" and felt they were lied to or misled in signing the contract. I also had trouble getting my trainers paid their "just" amount in a timely manner. I was also shorted hundreds of dollars in commission by the corporate office. I have the email address of the owner if anyone would like to send a "kind, " personal message to the genius in charge of the shady operation. His name is Stephen Dow. Anyone interested in a class action lawsuit, please contact [email protected]
    Thanks!

• Us
    USMC Veteran Jun 23, 2010

I recently became a member of the "i'm f'd by CBPT" at the In Shape in Bakersfield, CA. I was never told about any 6 month contract, let alone a cancellation fee... even AFTER I told the [censor] that I was unemployed. My pregnant fiance (at the time) walks in and we tell the guy we have a baby on the way and it's gonna be hard to provide for our child with how this economy is going. The trainer had the nerve to say "great, now sign here". I feel like total crap because I felt this guy was sincere and didn't even bother looking at what I was signing up for! After cancelling with them personally, a month later I get screwed for another $100+ dollars then i'm told that I have to call or send a letter to their HQ. I just got off the phone with these guys from Atlanta and they tell me that I can't get reimbursed for credits that i've got with them, and that I still have to pay that $250 cancellation fee even when I was never told about it in the first place. Now I have a family to take care of, and these guys are not making it any easier for me. I'm at the edge of it all and I need serious help to get my money back from these crooks. If anyone has any information or any help they can offer, please let me know.

[email protected]

• Cu
    Custom built hater Jun 11, 2010

Everyone that has complained before me you are all completely right ! I was a manager at Custom Built and was constantly running into customer service issues. I tried my best to help everyone resolve their issues and fix any problems at hand. My boss told me to have them put their issues in a complaint book and worry about my sales first. I also had to train a number of people for free since I'm paid salary just to make sure the members were being trained and remained happy. This is so because apparantly if you stop paying your contract they deduct any money they paid me for making the deal. I then had a trainer quit without any notice and was ovewhelmed with clients that needed training and did my best to train as many as i could for free i might add. The regional manager told me to stop worrying about training them and worry about my sales. I told him if i dont train them they wont pay since its in all your contracts that if we do not provide the service you have the right to cancel your contract free of any fees. Several managers and I then realized this can't be legal and looked into our Hire contracts and found nothing that said anything about being charged for clients not paying for their monthly fees. They had no answer when we brought this to their attention and still have not received our money back for our over the top hard work. Not to mention we were working 10-14 hours a day and were asked to work through our lunch breaks if we wanted to move up in the company. We also had "manditory" meetings twice a week on break hours that were also unpaid. If anyone has any information to help out I guarantee I can help you out of your contract free of charge.