Custom Built Personal TrainingFailure to provide services and failure to cancel contract per their guidelines

E

This company did not provide Personal Training services, trainers were overbooked, could not accommodate my work schedule. When I sent certified letter to cancel, along with the cancellation payment, they continued to withdraw funds from my account. I had to go to the bank and force the stoppage of payment. These guys are crooks!!!

• Na
    nate Sep 02, 2008

I too am going through a similar stressful situation. i sustained a knee injury and could not complete my training, when i tried to contact my trainer another employee told me to bring in a doctors note and that was the only way to get my membership canceled, after i had brought in a doctors note my trainer continued to avoid my calls and letters to contact me and lost my doctors note. now i owe over 200 dollars in delinquent fees because i had to put a stop payment on my account so they can no longer take funds out of my account. their training is not personalized and their customer service is absolutely absurd. I called the customer service department and they refused to let me speak with management and actually hung up on me.

david Oct 13, 2008

These folks are liars and should not be in business. I was told that I was to receive 2 sessions a week for. I did receive my 2 sessions a week for 4 weeks then was told that I would only be receiving 1 session a week after that. This was not what I agreed to. There was NO, I repeat NO misunderstanding. THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD HAVE AGGRED TO 1 SESSION A WEEK!!! I was also told that I could cancel the contact at anytime. I explained to him that I have 2 kids and just moved into a new house and I might find out down the road that I could not afford the additional expense. He said “No problem, I could cancel at anytime.”

I am still getting billed by them. I would suggest that anyone considering them do your self a favor and stay away.

chuck Feb 17, 2009

My wife and I joined a gym here in our town. Custom Built is the personal training company at this location. We used our 2 free sessions, then signed the contract for a year for 4 sessions a month. My wife used 1 session, came home and said she was not satisfied with the trainer and did not want to use the service. I have called on several occasions to cancel my contract with this company. All they want is the 288 dollars early termination fee. Plus the refuse to refund my money for services paid for but not used. They say that if the cancellation notice is not received 30 days or more before the next billing date, then you will be charged the monthly charge. I asked them why they cant just use the money i have already paid as the termination fee and keep the rest. I was then told that those are services I have paid for and I can use them any time. I do not want to use them. either give me my money back, or use it to cancel my contract and keep the change. I do not care. Looks like I will have to put a stop payment on the account. My credit is already screwed up so what if they send it to a collections agency. I refuse to pay anymore

• Ro
    Rose Murawski Feb 17, 2009

Check this out- I signed up for six months and on the first day of my training session, my personal "trainer" didn't even show up!!! I had to wait an hour at the gym to speak to a "manager" and all he did was give me a card with a customer service number to call. Thanks for nothing!!! Since I was within my three business days, I was eligible to cancel and get my deposit back. I went through the motions- sent a certified letter of my intentions and had it postmarked BEFORE the third business day. I waited about a month and got my "refund" check back.
    Relieved to finally be done with the company, I deposited it back into my account. About a week later, I got my check returned to me from the bank for INSUFFICIENT FUNDS!!! I think to myself- how the hell does a company who scams people everyday and took MY money not have MY money to give me back?!!!
    I immediately went to the police station and they told me to try to resolve it with the gym first. Again, I waited for a manager only to get another customer service number. Forget that! I'm taking this to court and I encourage anyone in a similar situation to not take this lying down. I'm fighting for what's rightfully mine, I employ you to do the same. I won't stop until they're out of business!

• Re
    Rene Mar 08, 2009

I signed a contract with Custom Built back in December. My first 5 training sessions were with a "trainer" who was more concerned with signing up new customers and talking on his BlackBerry than training me. Several times he had me doing sprints in the parking lot while he talked on the phone. He didn’t even show up for my first session. Another time while I was warming up I saw him leave, when I asked where he was they said he had to run to the post office and would be right back. Two of my sessions only lasted 20 minutes. He eventually "passed" me on to someone else who was fine for the ONE session I had with him. When I made my appointment for the second session I told him I only had 30 minutes and could work out with him from 5 to 5:30, but I had to leave at 5:30 so I could get to my sons daycare in time. But when I showed up for my session I couldn't find him in the gym, but then I saw him training someone else. At 5:20 I told the "General Manager" about the situation and he apologized. My next appointment he didn't even show up and no one knew where he was. As a courtesy the new General Manager provided me with a free training session. She also took down my name and number and told me she would have the trainer call me and apologize and schedule my next session. So here I sit 10 days later, I have received no phone calls. By the way, I also learned that my first trainer was also a General Manager and should not have been training me because this was "double dipping". He was no longer working there because he had been fired. At this point I would just like my money back, but I imagine I would have to go to court for that to happen.

• Un
    Unhappy Apr 23, 2009

I am also having a very difficult time with them. I didn't the agreed upon workout written down for us. We never knew what trainer we would have. My bank closed the account that my fee was being taken out of bc someone tried to us my account. The gym fee went through so I thought my contract was done. Well guess what - it wasnt. They contacted me to tell me that I still owed them money. I emailed them asking them the amount was due for the rest of my contract. They told me $65. I mailed it to them only to receive another email stating that now my next months payment was overdue and I owed another $65. I then emailed them back and received a very nasty non professional email back stating I needed to just do what I was suppose to do and that they would have someone call me so I could tell them how I feel. I then called customer service after waiting for 5 days to have someone contact me. What they do is put you on hold for a very long time expecting you to hang up. Well after 15 minutes they had no choice but to speak to me. I spoke with someone that PROMISED me she would call me back. Well she never did. How surprising. I was also told I must give them 30 days notice because the contract goes beyond the contracted deductions. My friend was able to cancel hers without the 30 days but not me. They are very un-professional and not very good. I feel so sorry for the trainers they hire that might not know the type of company they are.

• Di
    diane May 18, 2009

I also have a contract with custom Built gyms (club 24 in Meriden CT), it was great in the beginning set schedule then my 1st trainer went to another gym. I waited for Club 24 to contact about me having a new trainer etc. Nope notta word. so i finally get my second trainer she's so booked that it was tough to get the schedule i needed. Then she leaves. In the meantime my financaial situation has changed I only have 4 more months left. I called not once but twice. I only got, " I will be sending you the peper work you need to fill out and cancellation fee is 320.00". They absolutely don't care. a dead person has more compassion then they do. I only picked this gym because it was on my way home. i guess I'll think twice about convience. Don't have to wrooy about them going ourt of business too busy riping people off.

• Sc
    scarlet0615 Jun 12, 2009

Besides the fact that the sales guy duped me into a contract (he verbally told me I only had to do it for a minimum of 3 months), I had a horrible experience with their corporate "customer service." I put it in quotations because it the term customer service must be used loosely here. I paid the ridiculous cancellation fee and then was continuing to be charged. I caught it after 2 months of being charged and immediately started trying to get in touch with them. I already knew how bad the customer service was because of a previous issue I had. You never get a live person when you call the CS dept and then it takes them 3 or more business days to get back with you. If you don't have your phone attached to your hip and you miss the call, all they do is leave you a message to call back and leave another message! It took me 5 times before I finally was able to pick up my phone when they called. I told the lady that I had never dealt with worse customer service in my life. Her response- "We can't make you pick up your phone!" Besides not getting an apology for frustration she decides to give a sarcastic response. I am truly truly disgusted with this company and want as many people as possible to know about it.

• Ta
    Tauqir Jul 17, 2009

Anyone thinking of a class action suite?

• 1c
    #1Custombuilthaterforever Jul 28, 2009

I have been reading through these comments. I also had a terrible experience with a Custom Built in CT. I was not given the services promised, I did not work out with the same trainer ever, their trainers were completely unprofessional (I was even sexually harrassed by one who was terminated). Their customer service department is completely rude and unhelpful and refused to refund my money. I wrote letters to the Attorney General, Commissioner of Consumer Protection, and the Better Business Bureau for my state. I recommend anyone having issues with Custom Built and trying to get their money back do the same. If you have trouble finding the departments that can help, try going to your states website for help. I was refunded my money in full and Custom Built will now have to pay additional fees because they were not properly licenced in the state of CT.

Custom Built thinks that by telling you no you will just go away. DON'T...fight for what is right.

• Kg
    KGB Aug 06, 2009

OMG, custombuilthaterforever, that is so good to hear. I was thinking that all of us in CT are getting scammed now as our contracts come to an end (or so we think). I will do the same as you did and write letters and so forth. I called to cancel and they refused to cancel my membership unless i paid the deliquent fees. I disputed the charge on my credit card. There is no way they are going to get paid past my contract period.
    If you have any more specifics on what you did for those of us in CT, we can all fight back together111

• Ds
    ds0311 Aug 17, 2009

I am having a hard time with them also in CT. My trainer, who I was assigned, was fired for stealing money and being unprofessional. Then another one was fired for harrassing women! Custom built does not care about customer satification at all. I do not want to pay or support a company that hires people like that! Plus, the woman at the HQ, Judy, is just as unprofessional as everyone else. If anyone else wants to join together to complain, let me know. I am writing to the people mentioned above. Heck I may even call News Channel 8 and let everyone know in the area not to use them!

• Th
    thefamiliartwo Sep 02, 2009

After a year of using Custom Built personnel training I hand delivered a written cancellation which the representative took and said he would take care of it. Six months later they are hitting my credit card, stop back and the representative says sorry I will take care of it. A year later they are still hitting my credit card, put a stop on it. Now it has been a year and they now say I owe 800 more before they will accept my cancellation.
    They have nothing to do with training there all about stealing your money.

• Ju
    justanothersucker Sep 14, 2009

About a month ago, I used my free initial consultation wit CBPT and got suckered into a 6 visit a month deal. Knowing I did not have the time or the money to afford a year contract, I was told that a month by month membership was a good choice for me. I was told that to cancel, all they need is month's notice. A month into it, I realize that I cannot commit for a full year and give my notice. To my surprise, there is now a $378 cancelation fee. I was NEVER told his at my meeting. Apparently on the back of the contract in SMALL PRINT the fee is explained. I find it interesting how the back of the contract was NOT DISCUSSED during my initial meeting and that the front only contains information about needing one month's notice. I then asked if instead of losing $378 I could just go down to one visit a month----but that is "not company policy". Apparently CBPT is not interested in maintaining customers, or let me rephrase, happy customers.

• Wi
    WindhamCTGymMember Oct 06, 2009

Yep- I was suckered too. I was told " we can accomodate your schedule"-total crap. I was told " unlike OTHER trainers, we provide a workout schedule you can do when you're not training with us"-never happened. I was never weighed, measured, never had the nutritional counseling. To top it off, they had a "special" a month after I signed and those people are paying HALF what I am. My husband is the one who noticed the cancellation fee, too bad it was a week after I signed. I want to cancel, but I have tried contacting CBPT like everyone else here, and NOONE ever contacts back. The worst part is I don't even feel like going to my gym because even if this gets dealt with, I will have to see those idiots there every day. I am disputing the charges through my creditcard company now. I would even suck it up and pay the cancellation fee if I thought it would make them go away...

dalves Oct 06, 2009

"These guys are scammers. I never wanted to sign up, but the guys ganged up on me after the introductory session an told me that I could cancel any time. The guy never gave me a copy of the contract he made me sign. Only when I talked to them about cancelling, di d he give me the copy and told me that I can not cancel without paying cancellation fees which is about five months fee.
    Anyone thinking of a class action suite?"

The EXACT same thing is happening to me! And on top of that, their "customer service" representative was unbelievably rude and unhelpful! I have every intention of filing a formal complaint against this company with the Better Business Bureau. I am also demanding my money back and if they deny me, I fully intend on filing a law suit.

dalves Oct 06, 2009

Oh and if this is of any relevance I'm in CA. So they're just as horrible here as in CT.

ChrisWW Oct 06, 2009

I too just went through this - one year deal - canceled me - owe me $1, 000 and they do not pay their trainers - my poor trainer - has not been paid!!!

ChrisWW Oct 06, 2009

This happened in Redondo Beach - so I guess Custom Built are frauds everywhere - this sucks!

NOcheck Oct 09, 2009

Don't feel bad, Custom Built has taken over the personal training of InShape Gyms in Bakersfield CA and won't pay the personal trainers. They have to beg for the paychecks, make numerous calls to the Regional Manager, and you guess it no return calls or paychecks. My son has been trying to get his paycheck from August of 2009 with no success, so now I'm taking it to the local news media to have Custom Built and their managers exposed.

janique Oct 15, 2009

Well this is my ordeal---- I had a contract with CBPT from March 2008 until August 2008. A friend and I wanted to do joint sessions so the general manager gave us a total of 8 free sessions. We were training for 3-4 days a week and as I did see see smalll progress I was disappointed with the overall service. I felt that the training sessions were not geered towards peoples personal target areas/goals. So one day I called Paramount acceptance (CBPT finance department) and complained about the service and wanted to cancel my contract early because I was no longer going to go to that gym. The customer service rep. for Paramount Acceptance told me that everything would be taken care of because he was just simply going to take my bank account number off of their records and I wouldn't be charged any longer. I was thrilled with that decision and thought I was in the clear. Well when a few months passed and I started getting calls from Paramount Acceptance telling me that I owed them money. I told them I called a few months prior and one of their employees voluntarily took my account number off their records and I did not ask him to do that. In the past 1.5 years they have called me about 3 times. I just recently got a voicemail from them this past september stating " this is reguarding the importance of your contract." Well low and behold they have been billing me $140.00 a month since September 2008 and they are telling me that I owe them over $2, 000.00. This is complete b/s and i feel that I don't owe them a dime. THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE REP. DELETED MY ACCOUNT NUMBER ON HIS OWN WILL!!! Then they proceed to tell me that they are going to keep charging me unless I give a 30 day writen notice saying that I cancelled my contract and I have to do so with CBPT. So after that conversation with the paramount acceptance customer service rep. I called Custom Built Personal training to talk to one of their reps. I was very pissed after talking to their rep. because she told me " well I don't know who told you that we can cancel your account because right now we can't. We can't cancel an account that is deliquent and that has gone to collections and the only way to cancel it is to pay your balance in FULL." I told her that there is no way that I can pay the balance in full because I don't have that kind of money and I am a college student. She really didn't care and was unsympathetic and told me that I didn't want this to get out of control and have an attorney get involved. This company has been billing me all of this time and has NEVER SENT ME AN HARD COPY OF THE BILL IN THE MAIL OR ANY OTHER NOTIFICATION FOR THAT MATTER. I checked my credit and nothing has gone to collections. This isn't even on my credit. They lied about that. I don't know what to do and I don't want to get sued by them. Any suggestions anyone???

• Wh
    WhyJoin? Oct 29, 2009

Wow, seems like Custom Built may not be in CT much longer- hooray!!
    I joined in April 09 at Club 24 in Meriden, CT. Since then, I have had my trainer switched 4 times. I have found all of my trainers to be good, and the guy I am with now is awesome, but really, having to switch 4 times is pretty crazy.
    When I joined, I knew it was possible that I would be moving, so I asked the manager at the time, Doug, if I could cancel when I moved. He said sure, people do it all the time, proceeded to show me contracts of people who were canceling because of relocation to nearby areas, and said all I would have to do was bring a proof of my address change. So I signed up, and now I'm moving. When I told the current manager that I was moving, he told me that I couldn't cancel unless I was moving outside of a 50 mile range of ANY Custom Built training center. I'm going to be within 46 miles of one. I called customer service, told them of my situation. After being put on hold for 15 minutes while they checked to see if there was a facility within 50 miles (how hard is it to use google maps???), I was told I would have to go to the gym that was 46 miles away, and that gym was going to be $75/month plus a startup fee. Had Dougie told me this when I joined, I would not have signed the contract.
    I am contacting the Better Business Bureau and the Commissioner of Consumer Protection in regards to their poor service and misleading contract. Hopefully people won't have to deal with the problems Custon Built causes much longer...

• Lz
    lzric Dec 16, 2009

Custom Built is an awful, crooked company. The salespeople convince clients that they have to come on board for a full year so they can get a commission. In the meantime, management doesn't care what kind of trainers they hire or what they do with the clients.The turnover rate on trainers is high and it's pretty much a guarantee you won't work with the same trainer for more than a few months. I worked for them for a short time, just long enough to see that I wanted nothing to do with this company.
    They're not at all concerned for the safety of clients -- I was told to exercise a client even though he had all kinds of medical issues and no doctor's clearance. I didn't do it and I caught all kinds of slack from my bosses saying if anything happened, insurance would cover it. That was ridiculous. Secondly, when measuring clients, I was told to add an inch or two so that it would look like they were making improvements, even if they were not. And all those complaints about how they keep charging clients even when they cancel, knowing the company, I'm sure it's true.
    Then there was the issue of my paycheck. Not once did they get it right. Not even close to right. They paid me at an hourly rate that was less than what I was told it would be and they consistently did not pay me what I worked. The manager at custom built supposedly "threw out" the paperwork that I had tracked my hours on...They promised me that they would make it up in the next check, I was told I would have a check fedexed to me but no one in management bothered to fix the problem or send me a check. I'm still waiting on money. The only reason I stayed for awhile was because I liked the clients I worked with, but in the end I wasn't getting paid and I was sick of all the run-around. don't work or use this company but if you do, keep careful track of your hours and keep a copy of the contract you sign when they first hire you. if you're looking for a job or a personal trainer, there are better personal training places out there --- I suggest you find one.

Ann BD Dec 16, 2009

I too was lied to and basically ripped off. The first trainer I had was nice but I totally worked around her schedule. When she left I was assigned another one that worked out really well for about 1 month then he was let go and someone else called me after I complained. He said "he would work with me if he had to and that he had little to no time so he would have to see what he could do." I never heard from him again. Now I am responsible for the complete contract amount even though they provided no service.

• Un
    Unhappy camper2 Jan 06, 2010

I think CBPT will lie and say anything to get you to turn over your hard earned dollars to them. I have had very similar experiences with many of the posters on this board. I wouldn't worry about them sending collections after you. You would blow them away in small claims court and I told the head honcho in their office in Atlanta just that. I dare them to come after me after I have documented everything they have done and NOT done. As far as I'm concerned they breached their contract with me. The gym I go to is kicking them out. GM there told me they will be gone soon. Therefore, if this happens in your gym, and Custom is not allowed in then how can they honor your contract? You don't have to deal with Paramount either. Your contract is with Custom, not Paramount, and if Paramount keeps calling after you tell them to stop (over the phone AND IN WRITING, BY CERTIFIED MAIL) anytime they call you after that, they can be sued for harrassment for each offense. I couldn't get anywhere with Custom, there is NO customer service, the only thing this company is interested in is stealing your money. Period. End of story. They will not voluntarily stop billing you. You will have to cut off their access to your accounts, be it debit, credit, otherwise. These people do not abide by the law and are not interested in providing service.

george12 Jan 28, 2010

WHO THE HELL WROTE JHIS COSTUM BUILT PERSONAL TRAINIGN CONTRACT??? they forget that costumer have legal rights, I will ask everyone to go look for those rights that protect the costumer..:us
    i had issues as well with costm built personal training...I THOUGHT i WAS THE ONLY ONE ...after I twist my big toe due to poorly training with this trainer .I requested a cancelation of my servics sending them a letter on the 5 ..they said I had 30 days to send a payment for the fee.yeah right theys til took 113.50 out of my account.i didnt pay the fee yet..I check my account and notice that they took 340.50 out of my account .I trying to have them to use this money as a payment for the cancelation fee .but they are giving me a hard time saying that there will be no refund back.so i went to my bank and stop the paymentmthank god.they willnever see a penny from my pocket and i tell everyone to not sign any contract with thsi company...they doesnt not explain very wel when i sign the contract.but after you sign they said : u have a 250 dollar fee to pay if you cancel this service right..what a scam...I hope eventually they get a better agreemnet cause this one out of control..i wasnt being serve by them but still want my money, i belive since they are not serving there is no point on them taking my money after i request a cancelation .i dont even go the gym since september2009.that why theis company makes money in such dificult economy.somebody needs to stop this agreement somehow, it need to take them to court to change this scam agreement..good luck to all

george12 Jan 28, 2010

i think we should all get together and take this company to court for our right s, is a scam and need to be stop now..this agreement it s a scam ?doesn anybody wants to go foward with that ? let me know

george12 Jan 28, 2010

what f we all get together cand call FOX NEWS and get our voice out there.this company it s a scam, god knows what else is behing them.we might find out some interesting new..let me know call me at 860.849.6034 or email me at [email protected] . this agreeement needs to be evaluated before costumers sign in for their services. training very poorly ! if we all get together and fight for our rights .costumer have rights and we need to start using them inc ase like this

• Th
    ThisGuyInNH Feb 09, 2010

I suggest you contact your state attorney generals. That is the best place to start. Start a website (even a blog would work) and have everyone give get in contact with your State AG's office and let the AG know this is a concerted effort across many states. That will grab their attention. DON"T let up... they will try every delay tactic in the book. If you believe they need to be shut down then don't stop until you are satisfied with the result. The 2nd thing they will try is a settlement. You should have a clear set acceptably settlement points before the efforts begin. I would start the blog ASAP because peoples memories and anger are usually replaced with complacency. Thank you for all the info. I met with a trainer up in NH from Custom Built PC yesterday for my "free" evaluation. It was more like a sales pitch. After reading this information I don't think I will be signing up for the "Special" they have going on right now that is supposed to expire "tomorrow". Wow... more like a used car salesman than a Personal Trainer.

• Re
    RES0NDB5 Mar 18, 2010

I SIGNED UP FOR TRAINING AT MY LOCAL GYM IN SANTA MARIA CALIFORNIA. I SIGNED A SIX MONTH CONTRACT FOR TWO SESSIONS A WEEK. AFTER 3 WEEKS MY TRAINER MOVED OUT OF STATE. WHEN THE NEW TRAINER STARTED WITH ME THEY SAID I WAS ONLY SUPPOSED TO BE GETTING ONE SESSION PER WEEK. I ARGUED WITH THEM ABOUT IT BUT TO NO AVAIL. I NEVER GOT MY MEASURMENTS TAKEN, NEVER GOT WEIGHED, AND NEVER GOT A NUTRITION PLAN AS PROMISED. REPEAT: NEVER EVEN WEIGHED OR MEASURED ONCE! FINALLY MY SIX MONTHS IS UP AND I CAN NOT GET A HOLD OF ANYONE TO CANCEL MY CONTRACT. I WAS TOLD BY THE GYM THT IT WILL AUTO RENEW IF I DONT CANCEL IT. BUT THE GYM DOESN'T HAVE A CONTACT NUMBER. THIS COMPANY SUCKS! I HAVE SENT THEM EMAILS AND LEFT A MESSAGE ON A NUMBER I FOUND ON THE INTERNET BUT NO RETURN CALLS OR EMAILS.

• Vz
    VZRES0NDB5 Mar 25, 2010

I SIGNED UP FOR PERSONAL TRAINING IN SANTA MARIA CA. AT IN SHAPE CITY. I SIGNED UP FOR 2 SESSIONS PER WEEK BUT AFTER 3 WEEKS MY TRAINER MOVED OUT OF STATE AND THE NEW TRAINER TOLD ME I WAS MISTAKEN AND SHOULD ONLY BE GETTING ONE SESSION PER WEEK FOR THAT PRICE. I ARGUED WITH THEM BUT FINALLY GAVE IN. I DID ONE SESSION A WEEK FOR SIX MONTHS. THEN WHEN I WENT TO CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP, I COULD NOT GET A HOLD OF ANYONE! ALL THE SUDDEN THE TRAINERS HAD NO IDEA HOW TO CONTACT CUSTOM BUILT. I SENT NUMEROUS EMAILS FROM THE CONTACT US SECTION IN CUSTOMBUILT.COM AND GOT NO RESPONSE. I GOOGLED THEM AND GOT THEIR CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS PHONE AND ADDRESS. I SENT A CERTIFIED LETTER CANCELING AND THEY STILL ARE TAKING FEES OUT OF MY ACCOUNT. I HAVE CALLED AND ONLY GET VOICEMAIL. THIS COMPANY IS HORRIBLE. PLEASE STAY AWAY! I

• Be
    bewareofCBPT Mar 31, 2010

just recently experienced this company and how they operate...it's absurd that they don't do employee background checks. beware of gyms that have custom built personal training in your gym. as soon as you sign up as a member there you will get contacted about a "free personal training session" or something to that effect...all it is going to be is a intro workout that doesn't teach you anything about working out, and then they will try to sell you a 12 month contract so they can make commission. they say that they care about you, but the person trying to get you to sign up has some kind of quota to reach, i guarantee it. for them, it's more about making sales everyday than helping people. and if you are a member that manages to not answer their phone calls, you will still be hounded when you go to work out in the gym. who wants to be bothered with a sales pitch when they go to work out? car salesmen are better than these people...at least when you meet a car salesman it's because you are actually looking at cars voluntarily, not being called by them to come look at cars on the lot when you don't want to. this is a very shady company.

this is basically an "personal training outsourcing" type of business for gyms that have it. if i were you i'd stick with a gym that hires it's personal trainers internally, because then you will be dealing with just one business not two or three.

salihirmu Mar 31, 2010

I just got a call from collection agency telling me that i owe Custom Built $1000 (i told them they wont get a nickle out of me). I signed up for 40 sessions.
    first session went like agreed, 2ND session trainer was a no show, because he had quit the job(Probably cause never got paid), no phone call or notification. 3rd session they gave me a new trainer who was hired that day, so he trained me while looking at women and couldn't stop talking about football, very annoying. 4Th session this same dude was on time since i called to confirm 4 hours prior (got his cell number of his pressure cleaning truck) AND THEN HE HAD THE BALLS TO TELL ME, DO 7 MINUTES WARM UP WHEN UR DONE GO "MIX IT UP " HE SAID CAUSE I GOT A FOOTBALL GAME CATCH, SO I CANT TRAIN YOU TODAY.That's when i had enough and i wanted to cancel, and the manager said i have to pay cancellation fee for braking the contract then he also said that we can get u another trainer if i want. LOL i called my bank and and canceled my card.
    sure enough they call me for my billing info next month, told them what happened and she replied "IT HAPPENS, but u still have to pay even if u don't use ur sessions and we have a contract and if u don't we will ruin ur credit"
    at BBB they are rated F which is the worst rating you can have(should of check them out before)

I joined LA Fitness and my trainer use to work for custom built and sued them for not getting paid he got $20000 settlement

Palm Beach FL
    they are located on lantana and congress in Planet Fitness STAY AWAY

• Fo
    formergm Apr 09, 2010

I use to work for this Co. and sadly you are all correct!! This is a very shady Co. that is all about money the fitness industry is a very big money maker and it's sad because people like me that have a passion for fitness and helping other people have to work for this Co. that is entirely sales driven they could care less about the clients! as long as you give your credit card info I quit cuz I just can't come in and look these people in the eye and know they are being scammed! The part about not paying the trainers is true same with the general managers you are told one thing when you start then they find any little way to get out of paying your commision and out of nowhere they will come up and change your base salary and say your not hitting your sales quotas so while all of you good people are getting ripped off Steve Dow the owner of the Co. is sitting up in his big office in Atlanta getting filthy rich!!! I urge you not to let anything go you should fight this is not right but Karma is a ### I have a feeling it will all come back around!!!

• Dh
    dherensky Apr 16, 2010

I joined Custom Built gym in Bakersfield, CA in January of 2010 and was specifically told that if I wanted to cancel my contract for a medical reason that it would be permitted, without paying the cancellation fee. In early February I broke my right kneecap and was scheduled for a total knee replacement in March. I contacted Custom Built to cancel my membership under the Death or Disability clause in the contract that I signed. The contract stipulates that you can cancel for a disability "if you are physically unable to use the facilities". Does not say what the disability is, or how long you have to be disabled. I provided them with my doctors note, and the state disability forms from my doctor saying that I will not even be able to return to work until mid-June. It is a no-brainer that I cannot use the facilities. It seems their lawyers don't even know what is on their contract because they told the manager that I would have to be disabled for the entire length of the agreement, which is a direct contradiction of the contract language. I intend to seek legal action and try to get the media involved if possible. I agree that these guy's are the biggest scam artists around and they need to have their butts sued off.

• Je
    Jessb May 10, 2010

OMG, I hate these scammers!!! I too joined the gym in Nov 2009 for 1 yr at 2 sessions a month equaling 24 sessions. Well I recently found out that I was preggers again and got my doctors note and sent it certified mail to CBPT. My due date is 12/11/10 and would require at least 6 weeks additional recup before I could train again. This is obviously past my contract date and when I talked to customer service today they said No Freezing your account, you have to pay the remaining terms and we will give you your remaining sessions after I am able to return. So basically bc they have some clause abt all sessions must be used within 16 months of the signed contract date, I would have to make up 14 sessions in 9 weeks...like that would happen. I argued with the lady about the disability clause not being specific and going over the contract period but she could careless. I am not sure what I want to do, maybe contact the local news and bb and stop payments...

ps my trainer had no CLUE what I was allowed to do while being preggers!!!NICE

• Ta
    Tabartus Jun 10, 2010

This company has the worst customer service I have ever in my life had to deal with. My husband lost his job after having the contract for 2 months. After a month of trying to get through to customer service I end up with a representative with an attitude telling me I have to put it in writing. She also said that even though I already paid up front for my last month that I have to pay a 250.00 cancellation fee. They are completely rude and have no compassion what so ever. Something needs to be done about this company, they need to be put out of business.

• Cu
    Custom built hater Jun 11, 2010

Everyone that has complained before me you are all completely right ! I was a manager at Custom Built and was constantly running into customer service issues. I tried my best to help everyone resolve their issues and fix any problems at hand. My boss told me to have them put their issues in a complaint book and worry about my sales first. I also had to train a number of people for free since I'm paid salary just to make sure the members were being trained and remained happy. This is so because apparantly if you stop paying your contract they deduct any money they paid me for making the deal. I then had a trainer quit without any notice and was ovewhelmed with clients that needed training and did my best to train as many as i could for free i might add. The regional manager told me to stop worrying about training them and worry about my sales. I told him if i dont train them they wont pay since its in all your contracts that if we do not provide the service you have the right to cancel your contract free of any fees. Several managers and I then realized this can't be legal and looked into our Hire contracts and found nothing that said anything about being charged for clients not paying for their monthly fees. They had no answer when we brought this to their attention and still have not received our money back for our over the top hard work. Not to mention we were working 10-14 hours a day and were asked to work through our lunch breaks if we wanted to move up in the company. We also had "manditory" meetings twice a week on break hours that were also unpaid. If anyone has any information to help out I guarantee I can help you out of your contract free of charge.

• Us
    USMC Veteran Jun 23, 2010

I recently became a member of the "i'm f'd by CBPT" at the In Shape in Bakersfield, CA. I was never told about any 6 month contract, let alone a cancellation fee... even AFTER I told the [censor] that I was unemployed. My pregnant fiance (at the time) walks in and we tell the guy we have a baby on the way and it's gonna be hard to provide for our child with how this economy is going. The trainer had the nerve to say "great, now sign here". I feel like total crap because I felt this guy was sincere and didn't even bother looking at what I was signing up for! After cancelling with them personally, a month later I get screwed for another $100+ dollars then i'm told that I have to call or send a letter to their HQ. I just got off the phone with these guys from Atlanta and they tell me that I can't get reimbursed for credits that i've got with them, and that I still have to pay that $250 cancellation fee even when I was never told about it in the first place. Now I have a family to take care of, and these guys are not making it any easier for me. I'm at the edge of it all and I need serious help to get my money back from these crooks. If anyone has any information or any help they can offer, please let me know.

[email protected]

• Cb
    cbptscam Aug 06, 2010

I worked for CBPT and had similar experiences. Numerous complaints from clients who signed in under former sales "managers" and felt they were lied to or misled in signing the contract. I also had trouble getting my trainers paid their "just" amount in a timely manner. I was also shorted hundreds of dollars in commission by the corporate office. I have the email address of the owner if anyone would like to send a "kind, " personal message to the genius in charge of the shady operation. His name is Stephen Dow. Anyone interested in a class action lawsuit, please contact [email protected]
    Thanks!