Complaints & Reviews

Resolved Very bad business

This company will try to pursue people to join or buying their product, after you pay you will 100% regret cause they never give what their promise. I booked my session with cbpt and the trainer never show up and happen more 4times i couldn't believe that this kind of business is exist. I always telling people on my gym never sign up with cbpt. Talk about quality the trainer? You have to see their head trainer at the work out anytime gym hammond drive, her name is stephany look at her belly doesnt look like a trainer at all. Basicly what they want you is sign the contract so they can make money out of you. If you really dont want worst experience dont ever think about joining custom built personal training.

Can't Complete Contract

In January 2010, my husband and I signed a contract to work out, together, twice a week, with CBPT AKA Custombuilt aka Custom Built Personal Training. The contract was for a stated number of sessions during the year, and if unable to complete them within the year, we would have several months after expiration to complete the sessions.
During the twelve months of the contract, we must have gone through a dozen different trainers, some for one session, some stayed for three or four, only one lasted longer than four months. Only a couple of the trainers came prepared with a "plan", most just made it up on the fly, and a couple did things that were really inappropriate for our age and skill level.
Anyway, because of all the frequent cancellations, we were left with over forty unused sessions at the end of our contract. Well, our last trainer has just quit, leaving us holding a month ($200) worth of sessions we won't be able to use. The gym has moved on to a new training company (their fourth since we joined two years ago, of which we used two), and won't honor our last month of sessions.
When visiting CBPT's website today, I see that they have removed all address and contact information from their site, other than a "contact us" form. The email address they used to confirm our contract cancellation (we did not renew in accordance with the contract terms) is no longer valid.
We will be changing to a new gym as a result of this, because we do want to continue working out, however, this has left a bad taste in our mouths regarding gym-based personal training companies. You would do better off working out with a buddy who can show you how equipment works, or even getting a training app from the App Store than using one of these services.

• Sp
    springlering Apr 28, 2011

Followup: Custom Built has finally contacted us...only to tell us we have fewer sessions left than we KNOW we had, and to tell us the only thing they can do for us is to offer to let us complete our unused sessions at a gym that is 20 miles from our home. FAIL!!!

Catmom1957 Jun 27, 2012

I had my free session yesterday with them and they kept passing me from trainer to another as well. And all of them were very fast talking and I had a very hard time trying to even understand what they were saying to me. They did keep repeating themselves every few phrases with, "does that make sense?" and afterwards I didn't even know what they were saying to me at all. All of these people want is for you to sign a contract with them so they can take your money and nothing else! I will not sign any contract with these people! They said that the shoes that I was wearing were unstable and that I shouldn't wear them! How dare they talk to me that way! I wear the Sketcher's Shape-Ups and I love these shoes because they are the only ones that I can wear because of my bad feet! All of the other shoes that I have tried aren't even comfortable to wear at all. They tried to tell me that I was setting myself for failure even before I ever set foot in the gym! How stupid of them! I have been working out for the last few months and I have lost about 16 pounds which isn't too bad in my opinion and I think that I'm doing pretty good with my diet and exercise program. They tried to tell me that the Lean Cuisine dinners weren't good either because of their salt content but I know different! These people are making huge commissions off of people that come in there and sign up with them. Well I for one would never sign up with anyone who is nothing more than a fast talking politician in my opinion!!

Resolved Contract Dispute

SIGNED A YEAR CONTRACT WITH CUSTOM BUILT PERSONAL TRAINING, AFTER YEAR WAS UP THEY KEPT WITHDRAWING FUNDS FROM MY ACCOUNT. I WAS TOLD I HAD TO SEND IN A LETTER CANCELLING THE CONTRACT WHICH I DID AND THEY CONTINUED WITHDRAWING THE FUNDS. I HAD TO CANCEL MY DEBIT CARD TO GET THEM TO STOP. KNOW THEY HAVE TURNED MY ACCOUNT OVER TO A COLLECTION AGENCY INSTEAD OF TRYING TO CONTACT ME BY MAIL OR PHONE.

• Sp
    SPORTSJUNKIE Apr 28, 2011

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! THERE ARE LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE GOING THROUGH THE SAME STUFF! READ ALL THE POSTS AND BLOGS REGARDING CUSTOM BUILT PERSONAL TRAINING! WITH OUT A DOUBT THE MOST UNPROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATION OF ALL TIME! SAVE YOURSELF THE TIME AND AGGRAVATION AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

• Jr
    jrd58 May 05, 2011

My wife was told by her Dr. that she could not use there personal training anymore. She has 7 sessions that were paid and unused, she did everything they asked her to do. The Dr. filled out a letter stating that she could not use there service, and sent that in, kept in touch with the lady from the billing company. Now she is getting harassed by some rinky dink collection company. The funny part is custom built training owes my wife money. Just another crooked company. STAY AWAY!!!

Resolved Canceling contract

This company told me that they shredded my check and my contract and that I did not have to send in a cancellation notice and next thing I know the money had been taken out of my account anyways. I guess you can never trust a mans word anymore. I would NOT advise anyone using this program.

• Df
    dftodd Nov 06, 2014

Wife and I had the same issue, still fighting it. The manager at that location refused to take the cancellation letter. Then forget trying to find out the info to send the letter to there corporate office. No one will answer or return your calls. Had to change debit card, and dispute the charges which we won. Then you think everything is good. Wrong, then they charge for 2 extra months then send it to a collection agency. DO NOT DO ANY BUISINESS WITH THEM. It will cost you in more ways then you expect. They are a bunch of crooks

They are theives

I am so ashamed of acutally enrolling in this "custom personal training". The young training performed well. I loved the training. The thing I don't like is trying to cancel this service. It is a pain in the neck. I did pay the $252 cancel fee AND THEY STILL DEBITED MY ACCOUNT more payments of $140! They are theives!!! ERRRR!! Don't use this service! I should've listened to the comments! ughh!!!

Resolved Unprofessional Business Practices

Custom Built Personal training are scam artists that do not provide a quality product so they earn their money by charging clients more than they think they are being charged. I learned the hard way but read your ENTIRE contract! There is an autorenewal clause at the end of your contract that requires you to send a CERTIFIED letter to cancel your services. The customer service representatives and trainers will may tell you differently but then you will continue being charged. Additionally, they will NOT send you a bill. In my case they said they "tried to call me" and then sent my account to a debt collector after 4 months. They did not see the necessity to send a bill or contact me so now I owe four months of payment instead of just 1 months because I would have taken care of the issue then. NOBODY at the company or the billing company (custom built doesn't even do their own billing) will return any of my phone calls or answer my questions. They just did not send a bill at all. The kicker is that for a year contract I only received maybe 5 sessions because the trainers fail to accommodate your schedule. Additionally, I moved so I could no longer conveniently use the gym and they refused to cancel service because I did not move "far enough" away. Company is a fraud with rude, unprofessional customer service representative. A complaint to Better Business Bureau yielded only inane, repetitive responses that failed to address any of the pertinent issues. Avoid this company at all costs.

• Rb
    RBinPHX Nov 13, 2011

Please do not lump all of the CB trainers in your complaint. Many of us, myself included, do care about our clients, do show up on time, and are NOT thieves.
    RB, Phx., AZ

• Pa
    Patty Tracey Feb 21, 2014

Then you shouldn't be working for them...

Resolved Labor Practices - non-payment of trainers

Since taking over the Training operations at the Workout Club and Wellness Centers in NH. Custom Built has repeatedly taken money from my clients accounts after they have notified them in writing to cancel memberships. The customer service dept does not return emails or phone calls. There is no posting about the day that the paychecks will be distributed. If the pay "date" falls on a Sunday, no checks are issued. The checks are not sent to all the gyms and the managers say it is not "in their job description" to pick up the employees checks and get them to the gym, yet the trainers are not allowed to pick up the checks either. They schedule "mandatory" staff meetings the day of the meeting and notify trainers the meeting will be during their midday break(ie their time off when they LEAVE the gym). These meetings are allegedly mandatory but not posted, noticed ahead of time, nor paid! They recently stated in such a meeting they were changing pay "dates" and the trainers would receive a small check weekly until the new date was in effect. They did NOT do so and instead instituted the new dates without communicating when it would start, or posting in the clubs and made this last pay week a 3-week instead of 2-week pay period again the trainers did not find out until payday that they have to wait another 7 days. It was not noticed and no "official" word came down just rumors and overhead conversations and the lack of paychecks. They treat their clients and trainers the same. Shabbily, illegally and with disrespect. The owner of the club is aware of these issues and continues to use Custom Built even tho he is losing employess and valued customers. Bad business practices all the way around. Stay away from Custom Built. Do not work for them or allow them access to your checking account.

Can't Say Nov 18, 2010

I won't give my name out, but I'm a former sales manager for one of the Custom Builts in the South East. Every above complaint is true. The company screws over its trainers as well. I know this because I played a hand in it. Numerous argument broke out with the General Manager and Assistant General Manager (myself) against the trainers. The trainers were always complaining that they never got paid enough, and that they were missing hours.

There is a system on the computer, that the trainers would log their trainer number into, and check off their training sessions. One of my job duties was to delete a couple of sessions from each trainer. It was done in such a way that the client would still be charged for their session, but a trainer wouldn't get paid for it.

For instance, if a trainer performed 60 training sessions, we would only pay him/her for 56. If you did 30, you would get paid for 28. If you did 15 sessions, you got paid for 14. There is no way for the trainers to figure out which sessions they weren't getting paid for, so they always lost arguments against us.

If they got to clever about it, we would find other ways to get around it. For instance, "Don't worry about those two sessions. You're getting paid for it next paycheck." If you still didn't leave it alone, we would find an excuse to fire you.

It was a near perfect system. Eventually my conscience got the better of me and I quit.

• Kc
    kc001 May 30, 2012

This company is a scam. I have worked for them as an assistant manager and simply had to walk away because they steal people's money. Their entire goal is to lock them in to a contract, and we are talking 1, 000's of dollars worth of over-priced, low quality, training, and provide them no means to cancel their contract. My gm flat out lied to make a sale and ignores customer service issues. In my month as an assistant manager we signed up several people who wanted to cancel but were not allowed to. Additionally, we signed up several people who are still looking to schedule training but once the gm had their money they were worthless to him. I simply could not do this to people, so I tried working as a trainer and scheduling my own clients, hoping to alleviate some of the client's problems finding a trainer and their dissatisfaction with customer service. The company told me I would receive one pay rate and then provided me with a substantially lower amount. They took away commissions that I had earned and continued to lie to me about pay. Enough was enough and thankfully I quit and have found a much better job in which I help people rather than rob them blind. Please, if you have a "fitness consultation" with this company, just don't go.

Resolved Cancellation of contracts

I recently went to the Gold's Gym in Columbus Ga and was approached by a "trainer" to see if I would like to have some techniques taught to me about weight loss and obtaining my long term goals- after my session with this guy, he began his sales pitch for why I needed to spend hundreds of my dollars on his training sessions- Durning this time with him I was told that I would never lose the weight that I needed to lose unless I paid him the 139.00 to start the sessions and 99.00 a month for the next 12 months- I clearly stated that I needed to speak withmy husband before I made any financial decisions and that I would like to think it over and get back with him after a couple of days- He then attacked me verbally and asked me if I asked for the permission from my husband to gain all the weight to begin with - being over weight is tough enough and actually making it to the gym was a big step on my part to begin with- He had me so upset all I wanted to do was leave and never return to the gym -- EVER!!! Once he got my checking account information he told me that he would be right back and that he had to get my meal plan and his session book to schedule me for my training sessions- after about 10 min - I went looking for him and he was with another customer- I left the gym feeling worse than I did before i even went in- and i was physcally exhausted and mentally shaken- once I left I called back and told the :"manager" that I did not want the sessions and was told "sorry, you signed a legal contract and it is binding" after looking over the contract I realized that by law I had 72 hrs to cancel the contract with no reprocussions- I called that night and was given the same information as everyone else- that it had to be a certified letter sent within 3 business days -- once i sent the letter i was told that the money wouldbe back in my account by July 2, 2010-- guess what -- it is July 6th and no money -- I have left 15 msg for someone to call me and get the same response -- someone will call me witin 3 days of the message -- kinda questionable since you only have three days to void the contract-- these people are crooks and totally unprofessional -- the worse part is that now they have all my personal information and there is no way to get it back -- hopefully once I get the check back, if it doesn't bounce, this will be the end of this nightmare!!!

• Li
    Linstew Apr 04, 2016

Do NOT sign up to workout with them!!! They made it sound like it was easy to cancel at any time but then you can't get a hold of anybody to cancel and they continue to charge your card. I closed the bank account so that I would not have any further charges and six months later a collections agency starts calling! It could have really ruined my credit taking a person at their word that I could cancel at any time with no further charges. I run my own company and would never do this to people!

Resolved paying for services not rendered

I signed up for Custom Built Personal Training back in January of 2010. I signed up for the 2 times a month...

Resolved Unauthorized charges to credit card

This company signed me up for a three session trial of personal training sessions. I paid the fee on my credit card and received the three sessions, I then told the trainer I was not interested in any further sessions, I thought that was the end of it. About a month later I noticed a charge on my credit card from Custom Built Personal Training (CBPT) and I immediately tried to call, talk to local representative (who was fired), sent email and then a certified letter stating these charges where not authorized. I received no response and the following month another charge appeared. I contacted my credit card company and disputed the charges, they received no response from CBPT and removed the charges, this process continued for over six months. Eventually CBPT produced my original credit card receipt for the trial and said it committed me to a 6 month contract. Many letters and phone calls later this file was closed by the bank (credit card issuer) and my credit card was cancelled and replaced with a new account. Two months ago after a year and 3 months, I received letter from collections agency demanding a payment of $420, I immediately sent them the documentation with CBPT and the Bank, but received no response. Next month a collections entry was made on my credit report causing a drop of 60 points on my credit score, I again tried to get this removed, but today received notice from collections agency that if I did not pay in 5 days they would take legal action. This company continues to operate at my Planet Fitness Club and I have been told of similar situations with other customers. These clubs are unregulated and use very deceptive, maybe fruadulent practices to extort money from customers. I will forward complaint to Florida Attorney General and see if anything can be done to stop this company's activities.

tiggertwo47 Jun 08, 2010

How did sending the info to the attorney general work out? I am looking for a way to stop them as well. A very similar thing has happened to me, now thousands of dollars later I want my money back and am getting laughed at by their "costemer service" people.

• Le
    Leeperi Jun 21, 2010

You guys are scaring me now. Maybe I need to take a look at my contract. I may need to cancel my card after all. About the collection agency and your credit report. There is a special letter you can send to all 3 bureaus and have the negative removed.

tiggertwo47 Jun 21, 2010

YES! Read and reread your contract, it has taken me a while but I am hopping this si the last payment I will have to make for srevices I am not and have not been recieving! When I spoke with someone about cancelling my card to stop the payments the "special letter" you are speaking of was briefly brought up but not produced and I was told it does no good if they have a contract that states they had the "legal" right to keep removing my funds. They make a habit of not opening their certified mail and sending back so that they get another months payment out of you! Good Luck.

Resolved Failure to Cancel Contract

This company failed to cancel my six month personal training agreement nas promised. Thier disregrad of my...

Resolved Bad Business Practices

I signed with Custom Built Personal Training in January of 2009 and for about four months everything was going well, until my trainer left because of how poorly she was treated by the management. After having about three appointments with different trainers I finally was placed with a nice trainer who told me he was there to stay and I would be working with him from then on. After about another month he told me they were running a great special where I could upgrade my contract to have more training sessions but pay less per session. I thought this sounded like a good idea so I agreed to upgrade my contract. The manager, who was new, told me I just needed to update my paper work they had on file, so I did. I was never given any paperwork at all! The next training session I went to my trainer was gone and no one had even bothered to call and tell me.
That month I got billed twice, once was for the amount I was paying before I upgraded and the other amount was for the amount I was told would be my new fee per month. When I asked the manger about it, he gave me a card for Paramount Acceptance, which is the company that does their billing, and told me to speak with them. When I called to inquire, the representative told me he was not sure what was going on and he would have to look into it and call me back. Of course he did not call me back so I called again I was directed to the custom built personal training corporate headquarters. When I call there I was told I had two contracts and that I would have to write a letter to cancel my contract and pay a fee. I explained that in their Meriden Connecticut office I was told I was upgrading my contract and I would have never signed up for two different contracts. I was told I had no other options but to pay the fee to only have one contract.
This is when I did more research online and I found out about all the horrible things they were doing to their customers. I did write a cancelation letter for “any and all” contracts I had with them but did not pay any fee. I then proceeded to report them to the BBB, the Department of Consumer Protection, and the Connecticut Attorney General.
Unfortunately for me I only researched this “company” locally in Meriden, CT before I signed up. I only found out after talking to the BBB in Connecticut that although they have several locations in the state all of their complaints go to their headquarters in Atlanta. The BBB in Connecticut also told me that they must be fairly new in the state because they just started receiving a lot of complaints. On a side note, when I went to mail my cancelation letter at the post office, the lady who helped me knew exactly what I was dealing with and said she had talked to a lot of people who had problems with Custom Built Personal Training.
After my complaint was transferred from Connecticut to Atlanta they responded by sending the same form letter twice using the wrong last name and wrong gender, that had nothing to do with my complaint at all. The BBB in Atlanta was going to close my complaint until I pointed out that Custom Built Personal Training had made absolutely no effort to address my complaint. I am waiting for another reply. The Department of Consumer Protection sent me a letter telling me that this company was no longer in business. I immediately called the office and was told that they could not reach them and the letter they sent had been returned unopened. I told the Department of Consumer Protection that Custom Built Personal Training was headquartered in Atlanta, and they then told me that my case was reopened.
Meanwhile, Paramount Acceptance has told me that my “contracts” were never canceled because I did not pay the fee and even though I have stopped them from taking any money from me they are still charging me. And because the contracts “auto renew” they could, in theory keep charging me forever. I have also filed complaints against Paramount Acceptance.
This company is counting on people to give up and pay. They think if they just send form letters and do not reply that people will just go away. I cannot in good conscience do that. I just want this company to be put out of business so they cannot do this to anyone else. I have also noticed that every gym where they have a location has extremely low rates which is why I decided to go to Club 24 which was only $10 a month as compared to the YMCA which is about $50 per month. These gyms must be getting some serious kick backs if they can afford for their memberships to be so much less than the YMCA.
I am not sure what will happen next with all the complaints I have filed but I will keep fighting until something is done about this.

• A1
    a1b1 Dec 03, 2009

Hey i'm stuck with the same problem! I'm in total custom built hell! Please tell me how you resolved it. I feel sick thinking about the charges adding up every week, and want to get custom built out of my life ASAP!!

• Jd
    jdpompano Jan 15, 2010

I am having a similar dispute with CBPT, they are ruining my credit over a unauthorized charges against my credit card. Their operation here is Florida continues to operate and even though the Bank agreed with me and charged them back, they turned my account over to a collection agency.

• Dr
    Dr. DPS Feb 24, 2010

I share your pain. I thoughtlessly signed a contract thinking it was a bit of fluff. These predators are more interested in fleecing their customers than building good will.

Mad Max Mar 10, 2010

Beware of CBPT and thoroughly read the fine print! These people are rip-off artists, couldn't care less about your well being, and are lower than a shady used car salesman. I totally agree that they are predators only interested in fleecing their costomers out their hard earned money for thier own financial gains.

• Ab
    abrooke Apr 22, 2010

Let's all change our Facebook status update to read Custom Built Training is a rip-off. At least that way we can save our friends from making the same mistake we did and hopefully, Custom Built will lose a little business over it too!

• Nh
    nhlighthouse May 08, 2010

Is this what I have to look forward to? I just signed up for 2 times a week PT...and is it all going to lead to what has been posted on this site? I have three day to recind my contract...What do you think should I exercise that options within my three days?
    Thanks in advance
    Mike

tiggertwo47 Jun 21, 2010

I am going through the same thing that you are. Thank you for your advice. I am not sure how you stopped them from taking money from you, I would really like to know. I am affraid to cancel my cards as I have been told they will then just send me to collections and mess up my credit. This company needs to be stopped I agree. Please give us an update on any and all of your complaints. Thanks in advance!

• Le
    Leeperi Jun 21, 2010

I really wish you well. I agree that we should not give in or give up. I will continue to fight till the end.

• Lc
    lcletona1009 Jun 04, 2012

I foolishly signed a contract and was told by the dumb sales girl behind the counter that all I would need to do to cancel my membership was submit a certified letter and it would be cancelled within 30 days. I used the service a total of 4 times. The trainer was well aware of an existing neck injury. During this time frame one of the exercises she had me doing caused me to hurt my neck. I advised her right then and there and told her that I would need to go see my doctor. My doctor advised me to stay out for a little bit and rest my neck. I told my trainer and she told me to notify the company to cancel. During this time frame they were still billing me and I ate over $1000.00 in charges. I sent in my certified letter and then received a phone call that I could not cancel because it was not done according to contract. I advised them my trainer hurt my neck and they did not care. Next thing I know I am getting a call from some douche advising he is a legal representative for them and is willing to settle for 1800 and change. Are you kidding me! $2800 for four sessions and I even got hurt and footed a doctor's bill? These people have lost their damn minds. As far as I am concerned I would be willing to have this on my credit the rest of my life then give them another dime. It will come off in 7 years anyway. Bottom line is he threatened to sue me...anyone else have this issue? DON'T USE CUSTOM BUILT TRAINING!

Resolved dishonest practices

I WAS RECENTLY HIRED OVER THE PHONE BY A PERSON NAMED GREG PIERRE WHO WAS IN FT LAUDERDALE AND HIRING PERSONAL TRAINERS FOR THEIR NEW LOCATION IN BEAUFORT SC, AND WAS TOLD OVER NUMEROUS TIMES, I WOULD BE GIVEN PAID TRAINING, AND SUPPLIED A PLACE TO LIVE. I PACKED UP ALL MY THINGS AND MOVED TO BEAUFORT, MET HIS ASSISTANT THERE, WAS TAKEN SHOPPING FOR GYM ATTIRE, TOLD TO FIND A HOTEL AND THEN AN APARTMENT, ALL THIS ON THE FIRST DAY. AS THE DAY PROGRESSED, I WAS ABLE TO FIND AN APARTMENT, AND THEN NOTHING. THERE I AM IN BEAUFORT, NO MONEY IN MY POCKET, AND DISMISSED BY YET A THIRD PARTY AT THE GYM CUSTOM BUILT IS WORKING OUT OF...I WAS BASICALLY PUT OUT ON T HE STREET HOMELESS AND NOWHERE TO GO, AND NOW NO ONE WILL ANSWER MY CALLS.

• A1
    a1b1 Dec 03, 2009

wow, what a waste of time! why would they tell you to come over there and buy you stuff if they didn't want to hire you? do you have a record or anything?

Failure to provide services and failure to cancel contract per their guidelines

This company did not provide Personal Training services, trainers were overbooked, could not accommodate my...