Consumer Portfolio ServicesCalls others and gives detail infor about my loan status

F

They changed my original due from the 13th of the month to the 1st without my permission or request. If my loan payment becomes past due they call my work, fax my work and if I hit 60 days (twice I have) they call everyone of my references and leave detailed information about my loan status, even my last payment date. They have threatened to send the repossession company over to get my van - I was passed due $100. due to a posting error by Western Union. - $100. I told them when the repo man came - I'd give him the $100.

I am reporting all experience with CPS to: Bureau of Consumer Protection's mandate is to protect consumers against unfair, deceptive, or fraudulent practices. The Bureau enforces a ...
www.ftc.gov/bcp/index.shtml

Report CPS to the Federal Trades Commission

• La
    Laura V. Whales Mar 10, 2008

I agree with E. Miller. Our harrasing phone calls started the day after our first payment was due. I had already mailed the payment, but they insisted it would take two weeks for them to proccess, so I had to make another payment to them right away so I would get proper credit. BULL!!! I told them that that was not going to happen, and they proceeded to threaten me with bad credit reports and repo. Every 3 weeks we get a phone call from them asking when we are going to make our payment. They call my husbands work and get him in touble. They harrass us evn when it's not payment day!!! This is so uncalled for, as well as should be illegal. These people should be out of business!!! I am in the proccess of selling my car and getting away from them!!! Good luck if you'e reading this!!!

• Te
    TESRA JOHNSON Mar 21, 2008

Let me start by stating that I get constant harassing calls from CPS (Consumer Portfolio Services). They not only call me and falsify who they are, but they also contact my references and question them and give out my personal information, which really should not be discussed. They also falsely stated that they were detectives looking for me, when I have been living in the same place for the past 10 years (or more). They constantly lie to say that they are trying to help me with my matter(s), but yet when I call them back to see if I can set up some type of help with payments, they continue to harrass me and just tell me what to do without looking further into my situation. I have recorded them numerous times making threats and accusations which were not true. I have every intention on paying them for my vehicle, and heavens knows I need it, plus I am a single parent doing the best that I can. But the stress that comes from harassment is just unbearable and will be stopped. I am not going to call people back who are doing more hurt than harm. I understand that when you purchase items they have to be paid for, but I did not sign an agreement to be harassed. When they call, they call back to back during the day constantly when there is no need for that. I also wonder if this is a reputable company for the lies that they tell in order to contact someone. I don't have to hide from anyone, but you cannot sit on your cell phone all day at a place of business when it's your job. This company need to realize that people go through things every day of their life, and not everyone can always predict when things happen they may alter their financial situation.

• Do
    Donna Jul 11, 2008

CPS are big harrassers. My payment due date is on the 9th and they call me on the 10th asking if I'll be sending in my payment. They dont take it very well when I tell them its already been mailed. They constantly call my phone and soon start to call my references. One time a fee showed up on my bill and I called to inquire about it. After being hung up on a few times, I finally got an answer from someone. They told me they came to my house and left a note and left a message with my neighbor to call them to collect on my account. So they said they are charging me for coming out because they couldnt reach me. First off, I didnt return their call because they are only harrassing me over a late payment that wasnt officially late yet because everyone knows you have a 10 day grace period. Regardless if its in the mail box on the way to them or I choose to pay it online between those 10 days, I am still entitled to those 10 days. How about confidentiality????? I didnt authorize CPS to knock on my neighbors door and they are not one of my references to contact. There was no note on my door stating they came out and they told me someone must have taken it. Huh????? CPS is full of mess and I wish I would have done some research before receiving a car loan from them. Big NO NO!!! They are harrassers, unprofessional, and rude representatives. And it doesnt help to try and get a manager to help you because they are all the same!

• Ni
    Nikki Jul 27, 2008

I really feel sorry for anyone who have to finance their car through this company. I was used as a reference by a friend. They call my job every time my friend is late. They tell me they are reporting the car stolen. They tell me my friend makes enough money and should make the payments. They ask me for personal information about my friend. Even though I've told them not to call my place of employment again, they continue. Fortunetly, my boss and I are real close friends. We laugh at the representative. I love telling them where they can go...to *#&! ...you can fill in the blanks ;) So if this message can spare one person the stress of dealing with this company, it was worth the typing!

• Lu
    Luis Molina Jul 28, 2008

I was making payment arrangements in my son's behalf. Once everything was agreed by two CPS assc., here comes a call from a third assc. by the name of Ms. S. Hampton, it was received on the 28 of July 2017 at 1pm eastern standard. The young lady seems to have left her bussiness manners and etiquette at home or somewere else, after I explained her in detail what I was doing she was very abusive and demeaning in her attitude towards me, and you know the beauty of all this I was only trying to help some else. Boy CPS you got my *&&^%$()_ vote of no confidence, you are trash!! Like a rebuttal??????

• Je
    Jenn Aug 06, 2008

I can't get out of my loan with them and they are harrassing me weekly to the point I changed my number, now they are leaving messages with my references giving them info about my loan, isn't that illegal?? If anyone has any info on how to make this stop or how to get out of my loan PLEASE email me. I don't need a car this bad..for the amount I pay each month I could buy a used car in two months out right...HELP!
    [protected]@hotmail.com

Lisa Lee Sep 27, 2008

I must say that this Company started out being an answered prayer, but I missed two payments and I started receiving the rudest calls from these people. I mean nasty with the consumer. I have gotten to the point where I have told them to come get the vehicle on several occassions and to this day they would rather harrass me and call my friends and family and harrass them versus picking up the vehicle. Something has to be done about these people. I think there is an avenue out there, we just need to find. If you are reading this and you feel as though this company is doing something illegal please let us as the consumer know.

lisa Oct 02, 2008

CPS is a comp that takes a high risk to get you finaced because no one else would finance your credit. They took a chance on giving you a large loan with previouse bad credit. Now YOU did it again NOT PAYING YOUR BILLS ON TiME. Thats why they keep calling you I bet if you would bring your acct current they would stop caling. When YOU signed the LEGAL contract you promised to pay every payment on time. They gave you a 2nd chance. people that dont care about there cedit do not diserve to get a new car. If you can 't keep the terms of a contract THEN TAKE THE BUS... YOU dont like it do you. THEY ARE GIVING YOU A CHANCE TO FIX YOUR CREDIT ... REMENBER THAT

• Ke
    KEVIN JONES Oct 02, 2008

IF YOUR SON WAS NOT SUCH A LOSER... THERE WOULD NOT BE ANY PHONE CALLS FROM ANYONE...HE PROBUBLY GOT HIS LACK OF RESPONSIBILITY FROM YOU OR HIS FATHER IF YOU EVEN KNOW WHO THAT IS!!! NEXT TIME HE SIGNS A CONTRACT HE SHOULD READ THE FINE PRINT AND UNDERSTAND THAT HE NEEDS TO PAY ON TIME...HE OBVIOUSLY HAD BAD CREDIT IN THE FIRST PLACE TO EVEN HAVE TO GET FINANCING FROM A CO LIKE CPS... THEY WERE THE ONLY CO THAT GAVE YOUR LOSER SON THE CHANCE TO REDEEM HIMSELF, IN THE CREDIT MARKET BUT AS YOUR TESTIMONY SHOWS HE IS NOT A MAN OF HONOR, AND YOU PROBUBLY ARE NOT EITHER, THE CALLS ARE ONLY MADE TO PEOPLE LIKE YOU WITH BAD MORAL STANDARDS AND LACK OF RESPONSIBILITY...REBUTTLE THAT...I PAY MY CPS LOAN ON TIME EVERY MONTH AND APPRECIATE THAT THEY GAVE ME A CHNCE TO FIX MY CREDIT...

• Ke
    KEVIN JONES Oct 02, 2008

YOU ARE A DEBTOR...IF YOUR CAR WAS OUT IN THE OPEN AND YOU WERE NOT HIDING IT THEY WOULD NOT HAVE BOTHERED YOU...IF YOU CANT AFFORD THE CAR YOU SHOULD NOT BE HOLDING ON TO IT...IT DOES NOT BELONG TO YOU, LEGALLY IT BELONGS TO CPS...ITS LOSER LIKE YOU THAT TRY TO BLAME THE BURDEN ON BEING A SINGLE PARENT...WHEN IN FACT YOU PROBUBLY EITHER HAVE NO EDUCATION OR HAVE SOME SORT OF HABIT THAT YOU SPEND ALL YOUR GOVT CHEESE ON...PLEASE GET A JOB...DEBTOR.

lisa Oct 03, 2008

YOUR SON SHOULD BE MORE RESPONSIBLE, AND TAKE CARE OF HIS OWN BILLS . GOOD FOR YOU THAT YOU WANT TO HELP YOUR SON OUT BUT REALLY YOU CANT ALWAYS HOLD HIS HAND. HE IS A GROWN MAN. WHAT YOU CAN DO IS GIVE HIM GOOD ADVICE AND MAYBE HE'LL TAKE IT AND TAKE OVER IS OWN PROBLEMS. YOU DID YOUR JOB LET HIM DO IS

lisa Oct 03, 2008

THEY SHOULD NOT BE CALLING YOU IF YOU ARE JUST A REFERENCE, ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS ASK THEM TO TAKE YOU OFF THE CALING LIST OR GIVE THEM THE NUMBER TO REACH YOUR FRIEND, THEY CALL YOU BECAUSE YOUR FRIEND IS HIDING AND THEY DONT HAVE UPDATED INFO TO GET A HOLD OF THEM. ITS THE LAW THAT IF YOU ASKED THEM NOT TO CALL THEY NEED TO STOP. THE ONLY WAY THEY WONT STOP IS IF IT'S YOU THAT HAS THE CAR. THE ONLY WAY FOR THAT TO STOP IS IF YOUR FRIEND BRINGS HER ACCT CURRENT OR FILES BK .. SAD BUT THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN PEOPLE DONT PAY THERE BILLS.

• Ro
    Rose Oct 03, 2008

Those As****** above me can keep their comments to themselves!!! CPS is a terrible company PERIOD!! Do research before you pass judgement and attack a person's character. I have a loan through them and make on time payments. Their customer service is the worst I have ever seen and they are using illegal tactics in every case. I just called them back and they were terrible to me and my payment wasn't even late. Terrible company. I support you!!

Jay Oct 09, 2008

This company is run by idiots who do not know or care about running a business the right way. They called me 3-5 times a day every day of the week for a month until I finally got one of their ###s on the phone to tell them they have been dialing a wrong number. They were unappologetic and indignant. DO NOT WORK WITH THEM. They are evil and should be closed down.

Jay Oct 09, 2008

I defy anyone to work with these idiots and come back with a positive experience. They do not know how to run a business with class and that has nothing to do with paying your bill on time.

• Me
    MeMe Oct 14, 2008

This compnay is the worst, my husband has an acct with this company and they DUMBA**es call and Threaten me continiously (I am not on the loan) So for the above spoken post, how about you find something else to do with your time.

This company needs to be sued!!! I am looking to start a CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT!! If anyone is interested please post back on this site. or email at [protected]@yahoo.com.

• Bo
    Bo Oct 14, 2008

Well Kevin,
    When you are late, you will never hear the end of it!
    Lisa,
    Why are you yelling?!?!? All Caps???

• Ni
    nikki Oct 25, 2008

I can't believe the comments above. It doesn't matter if you are behind or if the so call give you a "second chance". I am getting a lawyer on this company myself. Nobody and I mean nobody deserves to be treated the way CPS treats you. There is other companies out there that will help you. This company will call family members and discuss your personal business they will also lie. I am in fact getting a lawyer. I was called a liar, when I in fact had proof and have nothing to lie about. I was hollered at and told she didn't care what I had going on. I have also contact Better Business Bureau. I am only 1 month behind and have a very very good reason why I am behind. For some reason my father in law was called (who has nothing to do with my loan) and was told I was 5 months behind. I once worked for a company and worked in costumer service if we spoke to anyone the way this company speaks to people we would've been led right then out the door. I am a person and have NEVER EVER been talked to the way CPS has talked to me. I have other bill collectors right now and CPS could learn something from the way they treat people. Second chance or not if you know what is good for you...NEVER finance with CPS.

• Me
    Melissa Shankin Nov 07, 2008

I have had an auto loan with this company for over 3 years and until recently, my payment had never been late. The last couple of months, my payments were a couple of weeks late and they not only call me multiple times daily, they contact my mother, and others. Then, last week, I CALLED THEM to make an arrangement and the "customer service" rep says things to me like "What's your problem, do you not make enough money?" "What makes you think you don't have to pay your bills on time?" "Are you broke?" and finally, "Do you have an addiction? Is that where your money goes?" I was irate, asked to speak to a supervisor 6 times and was finally hung up on. I Contacted headquarters and was given the name of the "supervisor" for the Illinois branch. I have left no less than 10 messages for him and heard nothing!!!

• Ca
    Carl Gillespie Nov 14, 2008

on the 8th of sept. 2017 my truck was hit from behind, there's over $ 8500 worth of damages the guy that hit had no insurance or valid dl. in july of this year my wife was in accident, geico was our insurance company, anyway cps told me they're gonna waive 2 months of my payments, well they didn't and in my opinion this has too be the worst finance company on the planet!!! i never missed a payment in 2 yrs. these people really suck.

• Sh
    Shannon Elaine Jul 06, 2009

Sorry Lisa, you are WRONG.

They do call references. Daily. And often multiple times a day. Even after harrassment charges have been filed, they keep calling. They are rude, unprofessional, and make dealing with the Mob look more appealing.

• Sm
    smc907 Nov 20, 2009

I agree with ALL of the other complaints filed about CPS. If your auto retailer mentions that they are providing you "in house" financing or lending with CPS (Consumer Portfolio Services), walk away, run, hitch hike, do whatever you can do to get out. Don't sign up for a loan with CPS!
    I was in a real pinch when I purchased my car from a local auto (Big Name) dealership here in Anchorage. I won't name names, but it rhymes with "Hal Northington." They offerred in house financing which I thought meant the loan came straight from the dealership. Come to find out, this was not true. They had actually financed me with CPS! Now I am stuck paying on a car that I've been upside down in since the minute I purchased it, almost 3 years ago!!
    If my payment is more than 3 days late, they start calling me at my work, home and cell phone, which I regret ever giving them! Harassment! Today I attempted to call them SEVEN times, each time I was told to hold on before I even got a word out, then my call was disconnected after holding for 5 minutes. This happened SEVEN times over a three hour period. Eventually, I caught on and started talking immediately when they answered and was able to catch someone's attention. Then I explained to the agent on the line what happened and she didn't care!!! I told her that I'm sure she meant to appologize for their poor customer service...
    This place has NO customer service, they harass you, and they don't deserve to have anyone give them their business!

• Sm
    smc907 Nov 20, 2009

I forgot to mention that everytime you make an online payment with them they charge you $10 to process the payment. That's an extra $120 per year out of my pocket! Who mail's a check anymore? Ridiculous!!

• Ju
    jules82 Nov 23, 2009

I too have had the same exact problem with this company. I have come to the conclusion that this is a govt owned company. Because they break every law that can be broken and they are still in business, it leads me to believe that the govt set up this company to give the poorest of poor and those that struggle the most to pay their debts for whatever reason, a loan to get a car so they can continue to work. A person with a car is much more likely to be responsible then someone who doesn't have a car. If it wasn't a govt owned company there is no way they wouldn't have been sued. I would like to start a civil law suit. I would like to get everyone that has had any kind of bad experience with this company an opportunity to take part in this law suit. If you are interested in moving forward with me, please email me at [protected]@yahoo.com. In the subject line please post CPS Car issues. If you would forward me an email with what you have gone thru with this company and any contact info you feel comfortable sharing, I promise you I will do my best to expose these people in our court system. This company went into my daughters checking account a second month in a row, and took payment, even though they were told several times that they could only take one months payment. The lady then said to my daughter we will be taking next months payment as well. My daughter said no, they didn't have her permission to go in there any other time but the payment she was calling for. They went ahead and stole the money out of her account the next month without any kind of contact or permission. I too have suffered all the same phone harassment as well as having all my family members being told that they were coming to repo my car. Again, I will be shopping for an attorney and filing a class action law suit. If the govt is behind this, it needs to be exposed, if this is an American company doing business in America, then they need to abide by the laws in America and calling and threatening and stealing money from our accounts is not the way we do business in a law abiding country. Email me if you are interested in joining this civil lawsuit. [protected]@yahoo.com

• Ti
    tia635 Dec 27, 2009

everything others have said they have done to me. excessive phone calls to my job, faxed a note to my job, called neighbors and friends.
    JUST TO LET PEOPLE KNOW - I WROTE A FORMAL COMPAINT TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU ON LINE - ANYONE CAN AND THEY ASK YOU WHAT YOU WANT DONE.

• My
    Myrr Dec 31, 2009

Actually the BBB does send the complaint to CPS for resolution. I entered a complaint with both BBB & FTC, I now have a supposed "dept manager" trying to contact me about the "letter" I sent in. However, we seem to be playing phone tag, how convenient. Either way messages have been saved, conversations noted, etc, for future reference if needed.

• Ha
    hateful people Sep 23, 2010

Call and harassing even if its a day later that the due date. They are so rude. They will say things like well borrow money from you family for gas or food money or we will take your car. They on a regular basis take more money then they are supposed to out when you make a payment. When you call and ask they say oh well they should have told you there were extra fees, how many extra fees can there be? They have do that several time and have left me negitave in my bank. When I filed a claim with my bank they called and said since it was rejected if I didnt pay right then they were going to pick up my car. Nevermind the fact they took 120.00 more than they were supposed to. This has been the worst five years because of these horrible people. I'm so glad I'm done paying them but still am getting the run around trying to get my title. I hope the next future customer reads this post and does not use them no matter how desprate they are. DO NOT USE CONSUMER PORTFOLIO SERVICES!!!

• Pr
    project626 Sep 24, 2010

Call and speak to Cindy Springstein.
    She is a Manager for CPS.
    [protected]
    She seems to be a VERY helpful person.

• Pr
    project626 Nov 11, 2010

Call and speak to Cindy Springstein.
    She is a Manager for CPS.
    [protected]
    She seems to be a VERY helpful person.

• Ba
    Babydoll747 Jan 26, 2011

Iam not being garnish for payment they sold my car for 6000 they say and I owe 11, 000 even the car dealers I have been too states this is not right, they are taking 25% of my income Iam barely making it don't know what to do...can someone help mme

• Co
    Collections Rock Jul 28, 2011

Perhaps you should pay your bills, and stop complaining when the company that you AGREED to pay, actually wants their money. Loser.

• Ll
    lldenver12 Jun 11, 2012

CPS called me saying it was regarding a "very urgent matter". Turns out they were trying to collect $ from my roommate for HIS car loan. I asked the man how he got my phone number and he said "Well, it's listed with your address, it's public information." Not the nicest guy, I told him to please remove my name and number from whatever account they had set up for my roommate and I did not think it was right for him to call me regarding a matter that has nothing to do with me. So unprofessional.