Yatra.com / confirmed tickets are invalid after paying in full

1 India Review updated:

I would like to bring to your notice a case of severe negligence on part of Yatra.com, resulting in financial loss and unnecessary harassment to a genuine customer.

I had to travel from Mumbai to Kolkata, and was looking out for good bargains for air fares. I visited various online booking sites and airline web sites with the intention of getting the best deal. I found a few good deals some sites. After evaluation and computation, I found an offer at Yatra.com to be good. Although the ticket was priced higher than some other deals on offer at that time, Yatra.com and ICICI had a 30 per cent cash back offer for ICICI Gold Card holders. So, although I was missing out on cheaper tickets on other sites, I decided to book with Yatra.com and ICICI, in view of the 30 per cent cash-back. I did not know that a horrific surprise was in store for me!

I booked the Mumbai-Kolkata (IC- 675) ticket at www.yatra.com on May 9, 2007, at around 12 noon. After confirming availability online, the site requested for my credit card information and the ticket amount was instantaneously deducted from my card. Later, in about 5 minutes, I received a confirmation email from Yatra.com, thanking me for booking the ticket and providing the flight details. I thought I had just finished one important item on my To-Do list. But the ordeal was far from over!

Somehow, it struck me that I should reconfirm the booking with Indian Airlines. I called the Indian Airlines call centre, and was shocked to hear that there is no booking in my name. As I had received a confirmation from Yatra.com and my card account was also debited, I insisted with the airline official to check again. The airline official reconfirmed that there was no booking in my name.

I tried to get in touch with Yatra.com. Surprisingly, they don’t have local contact numbers. There is a toll-free number accessible only from MTNL/BSNL land lines, and a helping number at the Gurgaon office. This meant paying STD rates for getting help. I decided to correspond through e-mail. I sent them an e-mail informing them that Indian Airlines does not have my booking in their database. I got a prompt e-mail response informing me that my booking has been cancelled due to an error in the Indian-Airlines system. I was shocked and called their Gurgaon contact number. The official insisted that it was a technical problem with the Indian Airlines server. Their mail also said that they tried calling me several times. However, the call register in my phone does not show even a single missed call.

However, a genuine customer has suffered. I have not only lost out on good fares from other sites (These days, fares increase by the hour!), but am also having to go through unnecessary stress and tension, besides the monetary loss. The amount has not yet been credited back to my account.

I cannot understand how a booking can first be confirmed and then again be reversed due to a technical problem. Am not sure where the technical problem occurred, or whether the great deals at Yatra.com are just an eye-wash. Did they get someone who was ready to pay more for the same ticket? Such questions remain unanswered.

I would be grateful if we, through your esteemed publication, can help uncover and answer these questions. I would like to take this up at various forums including newspapers, travel publications and sites, consumer forums and government agencies such as MRTP, so that people are not misled by such advertisements, which appear very good, but are far from true. If required, I am also ready to use RTI and get more information.

Regards,
Arkaprovo Chakrabarty

Comments

• Pr
      7th of Dec, 2010

Same this happened to me today. I am totally frustrated with YATRA.COM. They confirmed my tickets yesterday & today they sent a mail saying the ticket is cancelled. When called, they give the reason saying the prise at which the ticket was booked was invalid, its a system error. Now whose fault is it ? YATRA SUCKS.

• Vi
      17th of Apr, 2011

I tried to book tickets through Yatra.com. I thought everything was fine until at the end of the booking process the system said tickets were not booked. I went to a different air ticket site and bought my ticket there.

I forgot about the incident until I saw my bank statement with a transaction from Yatra.com for the tickets that were not booked.

I contacted Yatra.com and they told me the money will be credited back to my account in a week or or. It's been three weeks and I am still missing this money on my account.

• Ya
      18th of Apr, 2011

Hi Vikki Sosa,

We are extremely regretful of the inconvenience faced by you but request you not to worry now that we are here. We'd request you to share your Yatra ref # here so that we can look into our records and get back to you on this ASAP.

Thanks and regards,

Near Hero Honda Chowk
    Sector-34
    Gurgaon-122001

Dear sir,
    This has a reference your holiday voucher dated04.03.2011, whose details are as below-
    1- Booking reference:YT428900
    2- Booked by: Club Vacation
    3- Booking date:10.02.2011
    4- Voucher No.:15489
    5- Voucher issue date:03.03.2011
    In reference to above cited matter, I hereby submit that-
    I have been given a trip for Dubai, as per schedule I reached Jaipur Airport on 7.3.2011 to board the flight()G9-Air Arabia and submitted all the relevant paper and boarding pass was issued to me but at Immigration Counter, the officer did not allowed in absence of OK TO BOARD which was to be tagged by your company. Inspite of showing our paper VISA they did not allowed me. The Officer said me that it is the negligence of my trip organizer who have not tagged it our visas. I tried your office to contact but it was not fruit full.
    The tour Operator, requested me to purchase new air ticket for the next day ie. 08.03.2011..At last I did the same thing and mailed him the same .with his kind efforts he was able to provide me the valid tickets and I was able to board for Dubai on 08.03.2011.

I hereby submitted that the the additional financial Burdon caused to me may kindly be remitted as below-
    1-Cost of purchase of new ticket for Sharjah=Rs.23723/-
    2-One day accommodation charges which I could not availed=68070/5=Rs13674/-
    3-One day additional stay at Jaipur and transportation=5000/-
    4-Compensation on account of additional physical excursions
    and psychological harassment=Rs.10000/-
    Total=Rs.52397
    I hope you will attend my complaint within ten days otherwise I will be free to attain the legal action.

Submitted for necessary action

(M)09829047737

• Ya
      4th of May, 2011

Dear Dr. Bhatnagar,

We took care of your visa & land (hotel and the tour) part on the above-mentioned Dubai package. The air tickets were not booked from our end. The required immigration details were supposed to be sent directly to the airlines by the air ticket agency you initially booked from. Would request you to kindly raise the concern with the air ticket agency. We only had your flight details while booking the package. We did the needful when you purchased the new ticket for the next day's travel. We hope this helps resolve your concerns.

Best Regards