Work Out World / Stay Away From Work Out World!

1 Ocean, NJ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 732-695-0663

On January 19, 2009 my son and I visited WOW-Ocean Township to join the gym. I sat with an associate, looked at the plans offered, and proceeded to complete paperwork. I gave the sales associate my debit card to pay the initiation fees for me and my son but BEFORE I signed any contracts my husband called me and asked me not to make any contractual commitments at that time.

When the associate returned I told him that we were not going to continue with the membership and asked for my debit card back. He told me unfortunately he had already run the initiation charges on my card. I said, "Ok, can you just reverse the charges." He informed me club policy is that I would have to wait 30 days for them to issue a refund to me by check. I told him that didn't make any sense and to please refund my card. He said that was not their policy.

Mind you, I AM NOT A MEMBER of WOW - I NEVER signed any contracts.

So, on February 19th I called the club to see if my refund check was there. I was told they received the request January 26th and the 30 day countdown started from that date.

I called the club February 26th to see if the check was there. I was told it was not and the accounting department was backed up. I was assured the check would be there any day and that they would call me as soon as it came in. They also offered to send the billing department a "help ticket" to see where the check was.

To date, seven "help tickets" have been sent on my behalf and yet no other info other than in takes 30 days for a refund has been sent back to the local club.

So, I have called about five times in the past week, and today I was told the billing department has received my request for refund as of March 4th and I have to wait 30 days from March 4th to receive my refund.

Mind you, I AM NOT A MEMBER of WOW.

They are ripping me off for over $250. I have asked for the phone number to the billing department and all I am told is the sales associate has to contact them using the "help ticket." Apparently there is no headquarters or main office for me to contact. What is even worse is the sales associates are on the front line and have to deal with irate customers (I am sure I am not the only one). Not only do they have sleazy business practices but they treat the employees unfairly as well by having them defend unfair customer service tactics.

I called my bank and will be completing a "Revocation Form" to prevent them from taking any additional monies out of my account. After completing the form my bank (TD Bank) informed me I had to make my claim within 60 days of the initial charge - I made it within 5 days. If I had waited any longer I would be totally at the mercy of WOW.

If you have just joined and want to get out of your contract check with your bank to see what their process is.

I have made a complaint to NJ Attorney General and NJ BBB, who has given WOW an "F" rating due to the same issue I am experiencing.

For your own good, DO NOT even walk in the front door of this place unless you have a lot of disposable income to burn.

Comments

• Ni
      10th of Nov, 2008

Don’t let us cancel even though we moved out of state

Very very rude people.

• Li
      28th of Nov, 2008

What is the procedure for cancelling my membership?????
    Please respond ASAP...

• Jr
      6th of Jan, 2009

Don't ever do business with this company they are cheaters. My boyfriend canceled his and mine membership in 2007 over the phone. Well they processed my cancellation but never his and I've been charged for a whole years worth of dues and they refuse to reimburse me. This is the worse business ever.

• Ba
      6th of Feb, 2009

2bea5OW sucks they are very nasty thieves and very pushy...

• La
      20th of Oct, 2009

You are 100% right...I am having the exact same problem! I want to file a class action law suit against the company...I think there are enough of us out there to make it happen.

• Ra
      29th of Oct, 2009

Stay away stealing money with hidden fees.

30th of Nov, 2010

They're complete scam artists... I don't know how they get away with what they do. They charged me $150 for a gym that was supposedly opening Oct 5th, 2010 in SEPT. It is now almost December and the gym has not opened. I wonder where my money went.

• St
      19th of Aug, 2011

I had recently joined workout world in Freehold, NJ in November 2009. I recently got a great job offer after being unemployed for months. Due to that fact I moved up to Wayne, NJ. The people at Workout World were so rude and have no sympathy to the fact of cancelling my membership early considering I am an hour and a half from the gym. They did not care at all!! This is the worst gym and have the worst customer service I have ever experienced in the many years of working out at many different gyms!! I have never even had to write a bad review about a gym in my life until I joined this horrible gym!!! If you are looking to join a gym do yourself a huge favor and DON'T JOIN THIS GYM!!! They only care about making money and not the people there. I recently joined a great gym RETRO. Much cheaper and very nice people!!