Windstream / poor customer service, loss wages

Windstream should make no claims about good or even acceptable customer service. I have reached this opinion based on how Windstream has treated me over the past 8 days.

Contact with Windstream on 7-25-08
I called my local Windstream office to see about telephone and internet service. I gave the lady my information (name, address, cell phone number, etc) She read back the information with the wrong street name. I corrected her saying it was South not West. She told me that someone would call me on 7-28-08 with my new phone number and scheduled installation date and time. As I work via the Internet, I will have to delay working for one week and take a loss of $1000 wages.

7-28-08
I did not receive a phone call from Windstream.

7-29-08
I went into the local Windstream office. The lady couldn't find my information in the computer. Finally she found the handwritten form in a cupboard. She wrote my phone number and installation date (8-1-08) on a blue post-a-note and gave it to me. I asked what time on the 1st would the technician be out. She said "Oh, they will call you before they come out". Then she verified my cell phone number.

8-1-08
Ok I have planned my whole day to be home and available for the Windstream service technician. At 2pm, I call the office wondering if the tech is coming or not. The lady tells me that they work until 7pm and yes the tech will be out. She doesn't verify any information like name, address or contact number.

8pm on 8-1-08
No technician, no phone call from the technician or the Windstream office. I contact the repair department as they are the only ones available. The lady there informs me that I am not in the system and would have to contact the business office on Saturday morning between 8 and 5 EST.

8:15am EST 8-2-08
I call the phone number I was given by the repair representative and get a recording that tells me I need to call back during business hours. So I call repair again. The lady there tells me I have to wait until 8am my time (MT) to reach the business office. So I go to Windstream.com. There it says that the business office is open from 8:30 to 5 Eastern. By now it is 8:40 Eastern. So I call the business office number again. I still get the recording that I need to call back during business hours.

So I call repair again. I ask to speak with a supervisor. I explain to the supervisor that I am very upset and I really need to contact the business office. She places me on hold while she gets someone from the business office on the line. The person from business finally finds my installation information. He is upset with me because I don't have the work order number. I was never given a work order number.

Finally he finds my information and tells me that I gave them the wrong address so my installation was placed on hold until I contacted them. He informed me that it was my fault that the tech was sent to West instead of South and that I would just have to wait until the next available time for installed. I asked him why the technician had not called me when there was a problem; he said "We don't do that. We wait for the customer to call us when we don't show up."

I went to where I had Internet access to look up the corporate information for Windstream. I find [protected] is the main office number. I call it and as I expected, got a recording. The male voice said to leave a message and someone would return my call during the next business day. Then a female voice says "This number does not accept messages".

So the poor communication and customer service starts right at Windstream corp headquarters.

So here I sit waiting until 8-8-08 sometime between 8 am and noon to maybe, possibly, have a technician appear to install my phone/internet service. I wonder if Windstream will reimburse me for the second week of lost wages or even apologize to me for the physical and emotional stress their poor customer service has caused me.

Comments

• Gh
      2nd of Oct, 2008

Ever since quitting Windstream, problems!

we bundled with their DishNetwork Package. So when stopping service to move and getting ringed by Dish Customer support, the fun began. The final bill came in long after i sent the receiver back (they charge $400 for the HD receiver) totalling $592.00! They never took my receiver off the bill!

My first call was to the Customer service at Windstream who said i would receive credit for the Receiver when i showed them proof it's been taken care of! I provided them with tracking numbers for ALL receivers! The gentleman patched me through to Dishnetwork who said they have the receivers. Back to Windstream, again, who claimed they will have to receive notification from Dishnetwork (here we go again!). After a 3 day run around of calling and getting here and there, i decided to call the home office (coincidentally i found the same number you did only i called at 3:00 E.S.T. and spoke with someone from Jeff Gardner's office, he's the President and CEO).

I spoke with the Executive Secretary who connected me with gentleman named Paul Strickland who said (after calling me back) that by the first of September I'd have my credit from DishNetwork if not it might be by October. I asked about my credit and collection agencies and he said they would not be sending it to credit and he even made a note on the account! Upon telling me that, he immediately asked for the difference ($192.00). To which i said, "WHEN MY CREDIT IS GIVEN, YOU'LL GET YOUR MONEY!!".

Fast forward to October 2, 2008. Today i received a letter in the mail from a collection agency asking for $592.00. Paul Strickland never did what he said he was going to do! I immediately called up the number and asked for the President and spoke again with the Executive Assistant, Carrie, about this problem. She remembered me! And, the problem. I again explained all the above and she stayed on the phone and connected me with another person (a subordinate of Paul) and listened in as we talked. This is practice i guess.

The new girl (Melody or Malory i spoke to so many people! Ugh!) promised to look into this. I have told her that i believe that they are burdening me with unnecessary mailing from collection agencies and that if it's not fixed this time, I'm never paying it! She checked my account and saw many notes that this account was not supposed to go to collections and shouldn't be doing so. I pointed out failure. She informed me that i was supposed to be receiving a check from Dish Network (she said Paul noted this on the account) and i should have received it. To which i said they should be giving it to you if you are bundled together. Credits are much faster to issued than a check. So, she's got my number and is supposed to call me back about this.

I just wanted to tell my story and show how things go with this company. Your number was right, timing was off! I will come back and tell you guys what happens but because it's not over i have to leave it at unresolved!

• Fr
      14th of Oct, 2008

I no longer can bring up my email.