Window World ~Toledo, Ohio / unhappy customer all the way around

1 Toledo Maumee, OH, United States Review updated:
Phone: 419 887-8800

I'm having issues with the Toledo office and our windows. I wish I would have seen this complaint thread before we suggested Window World to our landlord and had him replace 4 of our windows upstairs this past fall. We live in a 111 year old farmhouse. It's rental property, but the house is not a falling down dump like some rentals seem to be. It wasn't a cheap home when it was originally built. We're out in the country in the middle of a 90 acre corn field and the winter winds here can be brutal. One of the windows (the larger of the 4, and the one that cost the most because by code it had to be tempered glass ~ which the landlord had to pay $65 extra for) leaks quite badly. (All 4 windows leak, but the larger of the 4 is worse than the others.) ~ The top of the window doesn't latch and drops about 1/2 an inch when you lower and latch the bottom half of the window. There are air leaks between the two windows up near the lock mechanism and air leaks in the framework around the caps on the sides and at the tops. One of the smaller windows has a visual flaw that indicates that the window is either defective or not installed properly. (It's crooked, see pic below. If you look closely at the white horizontal line across the top, you can see that the right side is higher than the left.) ~ I've called the installers out twice since the initial install to diagnose the problems. (I can't remember the guys name, but he's not hard to see coming. He drives the old ABC Seamless Siding truck and he walks with a limp due to having bad knees.) ~ All he's been able to do for us is make one excuse right after another. "That's typical for all windows", "it probably just needs caulk" (He did squirt some caulk in the larger window once where they claimed they detected a pin hole ~ but that didn't do any good) and my all time favorite "Well, since your landlord didn't pay extra money to have the aluminum capping redone on the outside, of course they're going to leak." ~ Hmmm.. That's funny! We had two other windows installed by a private contractor in another room upstairs about a year and a half ago. He didn't replace the capping and those windows are fine. While I'm on the subject of those windows (the ones the private contractor installed) it wouldn't hurt to add here that our Window World installer asked me why we weren't having that rooms windows replaced. I explained to him that they were just done a year ago. He asked me who did them, to which I replied "I'm not sure. My landlord hired him and I don't know who he was." He then asked me if he could take a look at them. I said "sure, go ahead." ~ He pulled the curtains back, took one look at them and said "Wow, I hope your landlord didn't pay too much money for these. They're junk and I'm not just saying that because I work for Window World. You'll get 5 good years out of these if you're lucky" ~ WTF?! They're a hell of a lot better than the POS windows he installed. Another thing I noticed is that Window World did not use/stuff fiberglass insulation strips in between the window frame and the window itself before they put the woodwork strips back around the window. When I asked them why, they told me that their windows have a foam rubber pad on them that keeps them from having to go to such measures. When they installed the larger of the 4 windows, it appeared to be such a tight fit (maybe because it was measured incorrectly?) that the foam rubber pad caught the wood, and curled and rolled up as it was being put into the hole. Our upstairs is so cold that when you get half way up the steps, it feels like there's a window open somewhere. What a joke this company is. We're expecting some pretty nasty winter weather in the next few days with temps in the teens, snow, and high winds. Our kids are going to have to sleep downstairs on the couch to keep from freezing to death in their own bedrooms. I'm going to call Window World yet again this morning and demand to speak to someone in charge to state my complaints. If need be, they can either come out here and see for themselves what kind of crap they peddled off on us, or they can send another installer out here to give me a second opinion. Not that I expect to get restitution. One way or another, I want the problem fixed! Pretty bad when you have to consider hanging plastic over windows that are only 2 months old to keep my heat bills from skyrocketing!

Window World ~Toledo, Ohio

We

Comments

• We
      8th of Dec, 2010

UPDATE: The Window World regional manager (Bill McConnell) came out this afternoon and confirmed that there were some unacceptable air leaks in our windows. He's making us an appointment with a different crewman to come out in the next couple of days to run some silicone sealant behind the wood trim and stuff some extra insulation between all 4 windows and their frameworks. He said that if that doesn't take care of the problem, then he'll order for the windows to be removed, remeasured, and replaced if need be. I'm hoping that we wont have to go to that extreme, but I'm loving the fact that he's willing to do whatever he has to do to get the problem fixed. He takes care of the whole Toledo, Detroit, Findlay, Pittsburg, Steubenville, and Youngstown areas. I strongly encourage anyone else in these areas that may be having problems with their windows, to give him a call. The cell phone # listed on the business card that he gave me is as follows. (419) 466-4410 ~ He seems like a fair and honest guy. He did mention that he will be calling a meeting with the installers that put our windows in to talk to them about the mistakes they made and to let them know that the excuses they're giving his customers were not acceptable by his standards.
    A simple adjustment (made by Bill this afternoon) fixed some of my issues and he said in regards to the spacing issue seen in my photo above that it is normal for the windows to "sag" and be a little uneven here and there to allow/compensate for imperfections in the framing, or the hole in the wall that the window sits in. (Normal settling over time of any home will sometimes cause uneven squaring of the opening.) ~ He made note and checked that all the locking mechanisms were lining up and working properly and assured me that as long as they were and as long as there aren't any air leaks between the two windows where the two pieces of weather stripping meet, then it's nothing to be concerned about. With all due respect, that doesn't seem to be a factor for us. *thumbs up* .. An explanation from the regional manager as opposed to an excuse like "Well, that's typical" from the installer makes me feel a lot better about the flaw and as long as it doesn't create a problem later on down the road, I'm happy with that. Even if it does, I've been assured that the windows are covered under a lifetime warranty and in the event I run into a problem, all I have to do is give Bill (or whomever may be filling his shoes) a call. He was very helpful today. I am anxious to see what kind of magic his other crewman (Terry, I guess is his name?) can work with the air leaks we currently have on our hands. I have a notion that it can't possibly be any worse than it is and that anything he can do for us will offer up some definite improvement. I hope this post has proven helpful and given those of you who may have lost hope of getting your troubles resolved, if nothing else, a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel. Best wishes and good luck.. Be well.