WaterBoss Water Softener / Terrible customer service from WaterBoss

P.O. Box 298Groveport, OH, United States Review updated:

I just got off the phone with Waterboss customer service. I have owned one of their water softeners for about 5 years and the thing has not worked properly since day one. (Well documented by their own reps.) I just had to buy a 45 dollar part that may or may not work and I can't return it if it does not work. I voiced my complaint to "Rick" and his response was, "OK Sir.' and then hung up. DO NOT BUY A WATERBOSS PRODUCT!!! Lousy products and lousy support afterward. You would think that a company that charges a premium, typically $200 more than a comparable water softener, would step up to the plate and bend over backward to help customers. I guess not. I repeat, DO NOT BUY A WATERBOSS PRODUCT!!! You will regret it.
Va

Comments

Ja
  7th of Jan, 2008
What was the problem, have you fixed yet?
Ro
  16th of Sep, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
good luck contacting them been trying for a week they are tied to HAGUE water no luck anywhere contacting them
Da
  14th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Their "customer service" is a joke. The product manual is misleading.
Ti
  22nd of Feb, 2009
I am truly surprised!. .Perhaps their company and policies have changed, but my experience with a water boss was exactly the opposite. . I "LOVED" the water boss, purchased yearsss ago, at a local Sutherlands store. . It replaced the #%&*!!^$# Sears water softening unit that we had initially installed in our new home. . which lasted barely 3 years, with repeated and numerous service calls (one service man asked me how to take it apart!) - with that unit I learned the 'guts' to a water softener, and did all repairs that 'worked' to the unit myself. . finally junked it . . then came the water boss. . which I installed myself (I am the lady of the house, elderly) . . The water boss unit lasted 15 years, with very little servicing of the unit, and one replacement of the components on the top - which were sent free of charge by water boss afer a call to their company -
We now have a Morton water softener. . . it does the job okay, but I much prefer a 'water boss'. . .Intend to get one again. .
Di
  8th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
i guess the secret will be out of the bag soon enough, because 2o/20 is doing a special. but for those of you not in the know yet, let me explain. most of these water softener companies were started by kirby and rainbow vacuum distributors after the laws regulating telemarketing got so tough. unable to book appointments for "free carpet cleaning" which we all know by now was just a high pressure sales pitch, they switched to water softeners. the problem is that unlike with the vacuum cleaner companies where the only knowledge of install was plug in a cord and go, the water softeners are usually of poor quality, sometimes used products with new sleeves put on them to make them look new, and a few enterprising vacuum salesmen even bought struggling water softner companies, kept the name or liscened the name of a big corporation, or sometimes just slapped a sticker on the side and went into the water softener business. they are sold at big box stores, door to door, and through store fronts.
  4th of Jun, 2009
I couldn't agree more with these complaints. My softener hasn't worked from day one, the service is absolutely horrible and the people i spoke to on the phone are miserable people with rotten attitudes. This is one of the worst purchases i've ever made. Under any circumstance, DO NOT buy a Water Boss softener.
Za
  11th of Aug, 2009
I have moved several times in the past 15 years but have installed a WaterBoss at every house. My parents have installed two only because they moved as well. The WaterBoss is the best water softener on the market. And we've found them to be cheaper than many of the other brands including the comparable Sears model which is a piece of junk. (We replaced it with a WaterBoss, of course). I've had little need for WaterBoss customer support because the product works perfectly when properly installed. Virtually zero maintenance. When I did call customer support, they were prompt, responsive and had the answers I needed (wanted to know if they had a chlorine drip attachment). You won't find a better softener than WaterBoss. Just make sure that the installer knows what they are doing.
  11th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
You better hope that your softener does not have any problems because you will get nowhere with these people. You can scan the net for other opinion boards and you'll find the same response - you must be lucky or perhaps the products you've always had were when the company was under different ownership. i can assure you their product is an abomination and their service is worse. STAY AWAY! Their warranty is a joke, they won't send someone to your house - they expect you to do all the repairs, they just send you the parts. SCAM!!!
Rg
  20th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I was surprised to learn my 3 year old Water Boss 950 needed to have the media replaced. There's nothing provided in the manual about having to do this periodically but the customer service person was surprised I had not needed to do this before 3 years. The new media cost over $15o, and the instructions were totaly inadequate. No information is given on quantities of resin vs. carbon to install. When questioned, answers from different customer service reps varied on how much of each to install. A discussion with a supervisor was not helpful. The vacuming out and funneling in of the media is a nightmare. In my case I believe I added too much resin, not leaving enough space for carbon. I now have brown water, every day for a week so far and don't know if that will eventually stop or if I have to re-do the whole exercise. ANY INFORMATION on how many pounds of resin and pounds of carbon is correct for the 950 would be helpful to others stuck with this dilemma.
Do
  27th of Oct, 2009
The village Idiot -Rick aka customer service rep. for water boss company has no concept of customer service. I am going to Home Depot today and ask that they do not sell this crap anymore! (Water boss model 700). They want you to send the unit to them prepaid to determine if they will repair it under the terms of their warranty. When was the last time you had to take a car back to Detroit when it needed warranty repair! Just another rip off the consumer company. Sad day for the customer.
  3rd of Feb, 2010
I purchase a Water Boss 700 three year ago as well and the thing hasn't worked right since day one. Every time it regenerates it sounds like a popcorn machine - adding air into my cold water line. Let me tell you at 2:00 am having to listen to it for 25 minutes is not pleasant. I've replace multiple parts while under warranty and now their fabulous customer service won't even talk to me. I'm surprised they can even stay in business. A real POS (piece of sh..) device. Do not purchase one!
An
  1st of Apr, 2010
Same story here. Bought a 700 from Menards and it didn't work since day 1. I had it professionally installed. After numerous calls to their support and spending many HOURS trying things, I called the Culligan man to check out my water. He said "This water softener should work just fine with for your water. You don't need an iron filter or anything else, you don't need me you just need to get this fixed."

When I called Waterboss with this answer they simply referred my to one of their repair centers and told me that they only pay for parts. Unfortunately their nearest repair people are a 1 hour drive away. (So I will be paying for 2 hours of labor from the get go...)

I will be contacting Mendards to request that they stop selling these products, and would encourage all of you to do the same.
Lo
  25th of May, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Waterboss is a family owned business with the same owners as when the company first opened. Waterboss products are now sold internationally. When I called the technical support line they were nothing but helpful, I explained my problem they told me what I needed to do and it fixed my problem. Just like anything else over a period of time it can require a little maintenance.
Ar
  4th of Jul, 2010
going on 6 years, self installed 700 and not one single issue. Media replacement is normal in ANY softener system. Read the manual...even the amounts are listed.

Certainly you can spend more..try a Kinetico!!!, but it won't work half as well for twice the money. Water Boss is only sold through national chains so the comment about vacuum salespeople is just goofy.

Several years in construction and I've learned one simple fact...most people shouldn't be allowed to own tools and especially to DIY something that takes a building permit. They don't know what they're doing, they don't read the manual and they look for someone else to blame for their messes.
Ju
  5th of Jul, 2010
Agree Disagree -3 Votes
I don't understand some people, they say they have had the unit installed for several years and it hasn't worked since day one!!! Why would you keep something that suppose to not have worked at all. Especially if you pay good money for it, and why do you still have it installed and are using it? Is it because you like to waste water and salt???
  5th of Jul, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
No - because most people can't afford to pay 'good money' to replace a piece of $hit that they just paid 'good money' for, especially when you have such a bad taste in your mouth from being treated like a jerk on the phone. Sometimes you have no choice to live with sub-par applicances. This is what happens when you get ripped off :(
Si
  10th of Aug, 2010
Wow, it's amazing, the consistency over the YEARS in regards to poor customer service, even RICK is mentioned! I just purchased a Waterboss 900 and had it installed by Home-Depot. As a 1st time soft water product user, I had some "101 course" questions that I could not find in the manual or online so I called the 1-800 number. What a joke, Alissa acted as if I was a pest from the onset. After explaining that I wasn't calling with a complaint or wasn't even remotely trying to be ughly (I was hoping her attitude would change after this explanation) Alissa was still rude so I asked to speak to someone else...I got Rick...again, WOW, as I told him; "I know where Alissa get's her P.R. skills from." I'm still dumbfounded by the treatment that I received.
I have not idea if this is a wonderful product or not. I will say that I do not recommend the product and that I will never purchase another Waterboss product based on how BAD customer service is.
Hm
  2nd of Sep, 2010
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I installed a Water Boss 700 5 years ago to replace an ancient Sears unit (over 20 years old), which was serviceable, but big and needed new media. It has served us reasonably well, and I like the smaller footprint.

Two years ago, the inadequate motor that runs the valves stopped working. After some cajoling with Alissa on the phone (she made me feel like a jerk for expecting a replacement part), I was sent a new motor. This week, the new motor went bad. I'm not impressed. I grew up with water softeners, and my grandparents had them as well. They never needed this much maintenance, even with what should have been old school technology compared to today's advancements.

I saw a reference above to Kinetico. My father operates a business that uses lots of softened water, and he has one of those pricey Kinetico's. Yes, they are expensive, but they keep running, and don't require electricity to run. I cannot compare this machine to anything made in the last 10 years, but I would guess that this machine runs in the middle of the pack at best. This is why American companies are doing poorly--they insist on trying to suck a profit out of their customers by offering a substandard product that won't last.

I'd easily pay 50% more for something I didn't have to mess with every two years. Buyer beware.
Jf
  13th of Sep, 2010
We can absolutely concur with all the negative comments before! We had one, previous to the Model 700 and it worked great for many years.
When we finally had to replace it---from the get go it never worked correctly but by the time we figured out it never will, it was too late to return
it to Menards!

DO NOT RISK buying one--you'll certainly regret it--and 'Rick' is still your contact person, and you've read how he handles the complaints! They
have NO customer support and told us it was a 'do it yourself' unit meaning all the headaches are on you, and they have no responsibility to back
a product they are putting out as a 'working machine'!!
Ha
  7th of Dec, 2010
I have a 950 WB unit that is designed for city water. I paid a plumber to install it for me and it is a great installation. City water comes into my WB and then goes direct to my cold taps as well as into hot water tank which goes direct to my hot taps. My complaint is periodically it allows the water in the hot water tank to become harder by a few grains so that the water coming out of the shower or at the kitchen tap feels hard, and makes my skin break out. The 'band-aid' solution has been to drain the water out of the hot water tank and refill and then all is well for a while. My theory to the real problem is that the water softener goes to "bypass" whenever the unit regenerates. In the last almost 2 years I have had it programmed to "demand mode" where it regenerates whenever it thinks it needs to; even if you are just starting a load of clothes in the washer, dishwasher, or taking a shower. Well, now you can see that if you are calling for hot water, and the unit is going to "bypass" while it is regenerating, you are using hot water out of the hot water tank but "bypassed" or hard water is replacing the soft water that was in your hot water tank. Make sense?? After a while, you have a concentration of harder water in the hot water tank and it mixes with the cold soft water and comes out your taps (shower nozzle, sink, etc) as harder water. You see, water itself is ignorant and doesn't know where it's supposed to go. It just goes whereever there is an open valve. Like sheep or cattle. So, after realizing that I decided to dig deeper into the "advanced settings" and discovered there is indeed a "delay mode" so you can force the softener to regenerate at 2 AM or so after it needs to regenerate. At 2 AM I am fast asleep and not using any water at all in the shower, sink, etc. So, even tho it goes to "bypass", there is no water flowing into or out of my hot water tank so it stays full of soft water. This is my theory and I think it makes sense. Will track this for the rest of the month and believe my issue will be resolved with programming rather than anything mechanical being amiss. Only consideration I have is that there is nothing visible to tell me what time I have the internal clock set to, so if there is a power outage, I have to reset the internal clock by going into the computer and resetting it there. Everything else remembers its setting during a power outage except the clock. Otherwise, it has been a pretty good unit. Do have to agree with others as far as customer service with those named in particular. Need lessons in P.R. badly!