Waste Managementunreasonable cancellation fees

We've used this companies business service service for the last 10 years only because they are the only trash removal service available.in the last few years they have doubled their rate blaming gas prices, which have fallen. After requesting a reduced service package and being informed there's not one available we tried to cancell service. We were informed we would have to pay $1019.46 just to cancel service. Untill that amount is paid in full we have to continue to pay the monthly service fees and they will not pick up the dumpster. Is this even legal. They also claim that we have a contract. We are unaware of entering any contract since 10 years ago.

Comments

• Wm
      Oct 12, 2011

My name is Lisa with Customer Care at Waste Management. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. If you would like to discuss your pricing or contract concerns, or if we can simply help clarify, please send us an email at [protected]@wm.com with your account information.

• Di
      Apr 04, 2013

The same thing happened to me! I had a dumpster at my residence for a little over 10 years. Then when I told them I wanted to cancel. They charged me through the whole month, even though they picked the dumpster two days later and I canceled at the beginning of the month and on top of that they charged me $150.00 to remove their property! I have been making payments against their ridiculous bill and they keep adding on an additional $9 a month since I have not finished paying them off. I hate their online invoicing system, because if you go off the email you recieve it does not display the full amount you owe them, but rather the amount of your bill for the current month. You need to dig through the invoices to figure it out and on more than one occassion I have overpaid; because of the confusion!

• Pr
      Sep 24, 2014

Take advantage of your local conciliation court. You can easily find violations on their part to file a complaint. Get a copy of the contract from them and look for teaser items like $100 off, which the court will interpret as $100 off every month. Also per contract you are allowed to terminate if they raise the rates for specific reasons. If they did not cite specific reasons, which they don't, in their notices, you can claim the differences. Typically, they will cite vague reasons like 'may be a number of reasons...'. If they don't collect the container after cancellation, which is their tactic to hinder switching providers, call the local police department. Many small businesses have successfully won judgements against them in small claims courts. Many law firms, including Attorney Generals, are investigating Waste Management for class action lawsuits, but small claims court is your best option for immediate results.

• Ti
      Nov 10, 2017

I can suggest trying to contact your local city government to see if they offer any disposal service. You'll be surprised at what all City government can supply as far as your disposal needs.
    low cost
    no contracts
    keeping money in the community by using
    some have commercial recycling programs
    same day extra dumps (no waiting)
    same day repairs
    So anyone needing a commercial disposal service----try your city (if they offer it) nothing to lose but a lot to save!
    -timbo-
    [protected]@hotmail.com

• Di
      Oct 29, 2019

Have been a commercial customer since 2009. I recently sold my building, called to cancel service was told it was cancelled, but was billed for September. Called back and was told I needed to sign an Affidavit that I had sold my business or I could not cancel my service (are you kidding). Asked that they send, nothing. Billed for October. Called again and had to go through the entire speech again, to be told that they would be "generous" and cancel my service in December. ARE YOU KIDDING. I asked to see a copy of my contract. No signature and someone had taken a marker and changed the termination language to hand written 12 months renewals. These people are crooks - whatever you do - DO NOT sign up with these guys.