WageWorks / Unfair Business Practices

1 NY, United States Review updated:

Wageworks is a company designed to get extra money from the unsuspecting employee who is offered this service from their employer.
Some of their rules and business practices are not designed to benefit the consumer using the service, but to fill the coiffers of the wageworks company.
One rule they have is the "pay me back". You pay for the eligible service out-of-pocket; submit the reciept with the appropiate form; then the money is "paid back".
The first two steps are as they advertise, but the money is not sent to you, your atm/bank account or a check mailed to your home/office...the money is paid back to the wageworks account. How is this paying ME back. I was injured during work hours & was out of work for nearly 4 weeks. My orthopedist does not accept the wageworks card anymore "we don't get paid" was what the receptionist told me, so I had to use my personal bank atm card to pay for the visit. I had 2 visits. After 10 days I was glad to see that the money was...sent..to.. wageworks??
I really could have used that $90 "back" in my pocket - I was out of work, but the bills were not and neither was my daughter's hunger.

Another is that if you pay for the previous year's bills you need to fill out forms to send in. I, unknowlingly, used my card to pay the previous year's statement from the cardiologist in the doctor's office. I have had the same cardiologist for 4 years, paid for my co-pay with the same card at the same office, etc... but now they want to have a reciept for the transaction, paperwork filled etc...and my account is now suspended with ~ $750 remaining.
They advertise as rectify choices:
* pay the wageworks a check [in essence, pay twice for the bill]
* send in reciepts [if they don't like the reciepts they will ask you for something else]
* do nothing [I assume that means that you are ok with the charge, particularly if you have money left over in the account]

Since I have so much money left - they could take the money out again?!

I DON'T GET IT!
This seems like a lot of work for using your own money...I mean it's not like medicaid or medicare where the taxpayers are collectively paying for this...this is MY money, that I have allowed to be taken out of my paycheck every week to fund this thing...then you do not get a refund?!
What happens to all of those "leftover" monies that do not get refunded?
Wageworks is the biggest scam since the financial 'bailout' money paid to AIG!
What a waste!
I had already made my elections for next year, before I realized that this is really too much hassle for removing $40.00/week from my take home pay.
I can't afford to give away $160/month...but with wageworks, I feel like I am being robbed, literally for my money...
This is not fair and something needs to be done about it or ALL of us should speak to our HR departments to remove wageworks and let's see how long those "extra", non-refundable monies last them.

Comments

• St
      7th of Jun, 2009

One of the most damnable things about Wageworks is their $75.00-a-month charge if your spouse is covered on your plan but eligible for health insurance at his or her own workplace. This is in addition to the surcharge for covering a spouse on your health insurance. I need my $900.00 a year more than those greedy ### do.

9th of Jul, 2009

"but to fill the coiffers of the wageworks company." WageWorks makes no money from employee contributions; 100% of the revenue comes from fees paid by your employer.

'the money is not sent to you, your atm/bank account or a check mailed to your home/office...the money is paid back to the wageworks account." Not true. If you submit a valid expense with the proper documentation, your money is sent to you, or directly paid to your health care provider.

"My orthopedist does not accept the wageworks card anymore "we don't get paid" was what the receptionist told me" Utter nonsense. The card appears to the vendor as a standard VISA/Mastercard. They just don't want to accept a credit card.

"but now they want to have a reciept for the transaction, paperwork filled etc." This is an IRS requirement.

"What happens to all of those "leftover" monies that do not get refunded?" They are forfeited back to your employer.

You really need to educate yourself on how an FSA works. If you don't submit the required documentation, you will not be reimbursed. Spend some time with your benefits manager and you'll find this is a great money-saving benefit!

• Pe
      20th of Jan, 2010

This sounds like a Wageworks employee! You need to educate yourself as a Wageworks customer. I have been through more than 6 conversations with incompetent Wageworks customer service reps. My documentation is accurate and precise. I have resubmitted the requested additional proof 3 times by fax, 2 times by the new uploaded method. Just to be told they need more info; once I was told that the receipts were not received---yet they issue a receipt upload confirmation after the upload has finished. On hold, now to speak with the employer to see if I can cancel Wageworks for 2010.

Look Wageworks employee (I know you read this board---I was alerted to that in our conversation), I do not submit invalid receipts and you have not heard the last from me.

To all who are interested in starting a class action suit---email me at wowgrouponline@gmail.com

20th of Jan, 2010

Dear Genius. I am in the industry but not a WageWorks employee. For you edification, there are hundreds of firms who administer FSA's. I do have extensive personal and professional experience with WageWorks and many other vendors.

Everything I said is fact. You appear now to be having an issue with their customer service. Ask for a manager, file an appeal, but take some action to advocate your position instead of just ### about it. Joe Jackson is their CEO (simple Google search), drop him an email.

A flexible spending account is a voluntary benefit. You are saving about 25% of the money you put aside. You really need to consider this: is this level of personal aggravation worth the savings?

Stephan Yo: you have WageWorks confused with your insurance company. WageWorks does not have any $75 charge.

• St
      19th of Feb, 2010

The $75.00 a month spousal eligibility fee is in fact charged by WageWorks. Care to see the documentation?

25th of Feb, 2010

Stephan Yo: Yes, I would. I still believe it is coming from your insurance company or your employer. You can email it to gatto_del_sesso@yahoo.com.

1st of Mar, 2010

Stephan: still looking for that documentation.

PEPLAdvocate: keep in mind you need to provide proof of the services rendered, not just a receipt. The documentation has to show provider name; date of service; clearly state the services; amount paid; patient name. If you are submitting a "receipt" it will be rejected each time as "Insufficient Documentation".

• Op
      11th of Mar, 2010

agree - wage works is a total scam

• De
      4th of Apr, 2010
    WageWorks - Constant requests for verification forms

WageWorks continues to ask me for copies of receipts to prove my medical reimbursement requests are legitimate.I could understand if these were for OTC purchases but they are clearly to Dentists and Doctors. You can never speak to anyone there and all you can do is keep submitting paperwork and hope that someone there comes to their senses. Just who regulates this company becasue they need to be investigated!

• Db
      11th of Apr, 2010

II absolutely believe that Wageworks, "Wage Works" (formerly Creative Benefits or CreativeBenefits) is a deceptively fraudulent "scam" corporation. Their whole business model is to make as many ("oops") mistakes and to "manufacture" issues with submitted claim forms which result in making it as difficult as possible to collect on your valid employee health expenses. Do not trust them and encourage your employer to sever ties with this fraudulent and deceptive corporation.

The responder "Doctor Smartypants, " is appears to me to be neither a "Doctor" nor smart and obviously has a vested interest in the profits and welfare of Wageworks.

Wageworks should be investigated by the appropriate federal and/or state authorities and the persons responsible for setting and disseminating policy direction and operations (schmucks who direct their phone/email staff to manufacture impediments for valid health care reimbursements) must be investigated and prosecuted under the full force of the laws pertaining to federal/state fraud in business practices.

I agree with the complainer: Wageworks/CreativeBenefits is fraudulent! I will be emailing wowgrouponline@gmail.com to see what we can do about instigating legal action against these scammers!

12th of Apr, 2010

"II absolutely believe that Wageworks, "Wage Works" (formerly Creative Benefits or CreativeBenefits) is a deceptively fraudulent "scam" corporation. Their whole business model is to make as many ("oops") mistakes and to "manufacture" issues with submitted claim forms which result in making it as difficult as possible to collect on your valid employee health expenses."

Let's assume this is true, that WageWorks is a "scam corporation". And they are purposely rejecting your claims so that you cannot get your funds. The unclaimed monies go to your employer at year end, not to WageWorks. How does WageWorks benefit from this? They do not. You either don't understand how a tax-advantaged account works, or you are dealing with bad customer service.

I suggest you do your homework before you file your "legal action", because you will be laughed at.

I am a doctor, and I am smart, and I do wear pants, and I do not have a vested interest in WageWorks or any other third party administrator. I do, however, know a lot about employer and employee benefits.

• In
      8th of Jun, 2010

The truth will ultimately be revealed after an extensive Federal investigation. WageWorks is a dubious operation that is not only for-profit but obtains its profit through an intersection of false marketing, cozy kick-back relationships with participating corporations and the ill-informed, often gullible employee.

10th of Jun, 2010

Yes, you are right! WageWorks is an enormous conspiracy. A scam perpetuated by thousands of people, including the Federal Government and Martians. By all means, go forward with your "Federal investigation". And don't forget to wear your aluminum foil hat, because, you know, "they" can read your thoughts.

• La
      26th of Aug, 2010

Hi Dennis D. I am having the SAME EXACT ISSUE with them. They are asking for a receipt with every purchase I've made using the debit card. They've actually denied 2 of my claims, one of which I resubmitted and it was migically approved the 2nd time around. I find their policies questionable, as I have never had an issue with other companies managing flexible spending accounts.

• Kk
      11th of Jan, 2011

I am growing tired of their claim denials. The most recent one was an office visit to a G.I. Doctor to determine my needs for an Upper Endoscopy and a Colonoscopy. Their reasons for denial: "We cannot determine the nature of this service/expense..." This company should be investigated for fradulent practices, and their claim reviewers' qualifications to make such determinations questioned. A class action suit should result, as it appears more and more so that this company routinely denies legitimate medical claims for its own pocket. This is grand theft. So far, I have only gotten back $320, with a balance of $1200. I have the feeling that I will lose at least half of that balance to this company if my claims keep getting denied.

10th of Aug, 2011
    WageWorks - They always come up with excuses not to pay
    Wageworks
    wageworks.com

went to the Pediatrician and submitted my receipt that says MD on it and my claim was denied. I went to the eye doctor and submitted my receipt and the claim was denied. Do they want blood? DNA. No legitimate reason to deny the claims. I have provided every single detail they have requested. They can call the doctors office if they need more information.

25th of Aug, 2011

My health insurance company United HealthCare that I do not need authorizations for prior to my visits - is a separate entity than Wage Works who is my flexible spending provider. I send in receipts each and every time with all the information plus more and they still deny every claim. I really hope a hungry lawyer sees my complaints and takes my case.

25th of Aug, 2011

As another harassed consumer stated: I also wanted to complain about the abuse of unverified charges. How many times can they ask for verification per year. Most times it is always from the same provider or dental charges, then wageworks, just threatens you by saying, "if they don't the paperwork, then the IRS can come after the account holder (me)".

25th of Aug, 2011

My UH covers my sons pediatrician, my GYN and family doctor without prior authorization, and my Aetna Dental does not require me for pre authorization either. Your husband I am sure does not work for the same company as I do. Hence they probably don't have the same policy coverages. You bet wrong because this is not reimbursement, so you lost your bet there. The credit card by wageworks allowed the charge hence it is covered at the dentist, pediatrician, etc. But wageworks as they harass everyone to make excuses not to cover things even when receipts are being provided to verify that it was in fact a Dentist visit - everyone in America can't be wrong LOL

16th of Nov, 2011

Not sure how to advise the public, all of the disgruntle wageworks customers, but we all should forward our complaints to the ATTORNEY GENERALS OFFICE http://www.atg.wa.gov/FileAComplaint.aspx, with all of our complaints, only then can we stop WageWorks