Vonage / Ponzi Scheme

Englewood, NJ, United States Review updated:

Vonage is a Ponzi scheme. I say this based on my experience with Vonage service, and viewing the company's current commercials. The commercials new customers making statements such as:
"I can't tell any difference between the signals (of the previous company and Vonage)".
and several similar statements indicating that Vonage sounds very good, just as good as the previous phone company. My quote above is a paraphrase but it is very close and the meaning is absolutely as I have indicated it to be.

This goes along perfectly with my experience with Vonage- AT FIRST. But after a period of time had elapsed, maybe 1 1/2 years to 2 1/2 years, I'm not sure exactly how long, Vonage switched me
to their INFERIOR QUALITY SERVICE. Calls began to be difficult to make and difficult to recieve. In short order, things declined to Vonage's WORST QUALITY SERVICE. I could hardly hear the other person on the line and that person could hardly hear me. Since this happened at just beyond the time of the EQUIPMENT WARRANTY, Vonage wanted something like $188 for new equipment to supposedly fix the problem.

However, I no longer trusted Vonage. I changed back to my Cable company and have had some problems but not nearly as many as with Vonage. The problems I have had are incoming callers telling me that they get all sorts of strange results rather than reaching me. I have not yet called in to try to get this fixed, however.

I say that Vonage is a PONZI SCHEME because I believe that they knowingly and intentionally give high quality service to NEW CUSTOMERS, then switch to LOW QUALITY SERVICE at
specified later dates. Whether that switch is in one or two stages I'm not sure, but I am almost
certain that they INTENTIONALLY SWITCH from HIGH to LOW quality service at a specified
date. That means that new customers will give them good reviews, while long term customers
get "screwed".

If you have had an experience like this, please post it here so that there is more proof that this SCAM is going on at VONAGE.

Thank you.

Comments

• Dr
      Aug 31, 2006
    Vonage - Phone service problem

Vonage Phone Service is truly a waste of time and energy, surely you will get 1/2 the price of your current phone bill but they forgot to inform you that you will get 1/2 the customer care and 1/2 the quality of phone service also. I signed up with vonage for their free trial offer and I cancelled the same day I received the device. I have verizon fios and there service was way to slow for the fios which in return gave me poor audio on my calls. Signing up was easy but getting my refund was almost impossible, the wait time for a rep was 45mins. Please don't waste your time and energy on vonage like I did.

• Da
      Oct 26, 2006
    Vonage - Vonage continue to bill me after I made switch to Comcast

I switch my phone services from Vonage to Comcast on 8/24/06. Comcast had since carried my phone services. However, Vonage continue to bill me after I made this switch. They said that a formal request to cancel the phone number was needed before they can discontinue the billing. Vonage also gave us a difficult time with the termination of their services...giving us every reasons on the book why they can't cancel the account. They also told me that it doesn't matter if they longer provided the services for that particular number. The billing would still take place regardless if they carried the service or not. I made numerous attempts to get this resolve but they would not let me talk to any supervisors. They just keep passing me from one department to another, but nothing ever gets resolve.

•   Jan 09, 2007
    Vonage - Bad call quality, locally, internationally

This service sucks. Bad call quality, locally, internationally. I paid penalty to get my service cancelled. I was losing money on this service, it was unusable & they could not transfer my verizon number in 2 months. It was not clear that they would charge for modem if cancelled after 30 days but they charged me 80 dollars for the modem. I still paid that because this service could not have replace my verizon call quality & service. This is the worst decision you can make in your life. I could afford to lose money on this wasteful service but if you love your $$$ then better spend them at some better place.

Jan 30, 2007
    Vonage - Nothing is left but frustration, discontent and a big bill!

I had high hopes for Vonage. Now nothing is left but frustration, discontent and a big bill. I ordered my plan and phone on Jan 26th. The 1st phone was lost in shipping. I called in and waited a long time to talk to some one. I finally got a live person (from India or who knows where) who was extremely hard to understand. I never understand why a company would out-source Customer Service with someone who can not communicate with the customer. I received 2nd phone on the 26th (159.94 for phone and S&H). I hooked up the device to my network and I was able to call out but not received calls. (My number was supposed to be transferred). After a coupe of weeks nothing changed. I could call out but not receive calls. I called in (another severely long wait) and stated the problem. They assured me that it would be expedited. A couple more weeks go by, nothing changed. I called back, they said they were going to expedited again. I told the individual that I was already told that last time I called in. They then researched further and found an 1800 number on line preventing the transfer. I have never had an 1800 number contacted my carrier and they knew nothing of the matter. At this point I am utterly frustrated. I call back to cancel service (March 7th). They lady I spoke with this time was here in the US. She was nice and courteous and tried to keep me as a customer. It was too late I had my fill of all the nonsense. I asked about sending the phone back. She told me it wouldn’t be a problem and gave me an address to send it to, Upon arrival they would credit my account. I asked about a Return Authorization Number. She specifically told me that one was not needed because all the information could be pulled off of the device. I sent it back to the address I was given via Fed Ex ground. Followed the tracking number and see it was delivered on the 9th of March. Today (March 16th) I checked my account to and noticed that nothing has transpired. So I call back 3 times, go through 2 more broken English calls somewhere in India t be put on Hold for over 15 minute just to be cut OFF each. The 3rd call, I go through the elaborate Customer Service options to finally get someone in the New Jersey. I proceed to explain all of the above get transferred again with a 33 minute wait to find out they will not refund anything. On top of that, they charged a disconnection fee. In about 2-1/2 months, I am out of over $250 and about 4 hours of my life waiting for a phone that didn’t work correctly. I have never dealt with a company this absurd. At every opportunity I will warn everyone and anyone about Vonage and how they have screwed me. So much for the Revolution!

Apr 07, 2007

He was just unlucky.

I make a lot of international calls. After getting vonage 4 years ago my bill dropped by $100 a month. Great features, reat call quality and no down time.

Love it. love it. love it. Very sad they may go under.

Used the service with three different ISPs with no difficulty.

By far the best feature is the ability to set up incoming phone numbers in different states and countries. $5 a month each, and now none of my family and in-laws in the UK and Mexico have to pay more than local charges to call us. We can talk all day for pennies.

Jul 04, 2007

I have the same exact situation. I switched to Comcast, and I continued to get billed for the last 3 months. I called last month to reverse the bill, and apparently they still continued to bill me this month. Luckly my credit card info is expiring this month, so hopefully this is the last month they're stealing my money.

• At
      Aug 28, 2007

I opened a business account w/ vonage with a total of 4 lines.Within the first month I realized that Vonage was not able to provide proper caller id as required by law. This entire issue lasted 4 months and I was told I don't know how many times, that the issue was now resolved. (It wasn't), So I gave up and learned to live with the fact that my business caller ID's were everything from Vonage Hldgs to Potts Phone (no kidding), but not my company name or number.

Than after 5 months of service, all my numbers were dead one afternoon during business hours(we are still talking about $49/mo business numbers). After 1 hour of arguing I got the answer that they were performing a software update.

So I contacted my local cable provider and asked them if they could get those numbers from Vonage and smoothly transfer them without any down time. - It took Vonage over 1 month to finally release the numbers.

So I called and canceled my account and was told that I would have to pay early termination fees. I agreed, just to get it over with after all I entered a 1 year contract with them, I guess. And at the due date money was taken out of my account.

1 month later Vonage messed up my accounting totally, by taking out another payment. So called and after almost an hour again was told, that there was no record of the transaction, but the customer service rep would help me out and now close my account, but I would be charged 1 month for early termination. Again I replied whatever it takes just not to have to deal with Vonage again. He also gave me confirmation number, which unfortunately I can't find.

Today I was told by my bank that my billing account was charged overdraft fees, because Vonage again took out money out of my account. After being lied to by incompetent Vonage employees, and waisting over 2 hours on the phone, the outcome was this and still is:

- My account isn't closed. (The ### I spoke to the month before noted that I called for Caller ID issues. Why would I do that if they don't event have my numbers for the last 3 months???)
    - They could close my account NOW!
    - I would be charged Early termination fees, but I could email them for a refund request (Yeah Right!!!)
    - But I was offered another phone number and they would give me credit.

Than I called again and spoke to another lady, who told me:
    - She could give me credit for 1 month
    - She would close my account, but she would have to charge me early termination fees.

I asked her if it would make sense to her that I would keep on paying on an account for 4 months without getting anything in return and Vonage not even owning my phone numbers. Also I asked her if it would make sense that I would call in to complain about caller ID's for numbers Vonage doesn't even own anymore. She admitted it didn't make sense, but that didn't change anything on the issue that she could cancel the account for a fee and I could apply for credit back.

At the end she guided me to their website for the corporate information in case I wanted to complain. I am really not a complainer, but I hope That this will prevent the same thing from happening to other people. Where am I standing? I guess I still have an open account at Vonage and if I don't die soon, they will keep on charging me.

I guess that was contract with the devil and he will keep on sucking me dry.

• De
      Sep 25, 2007
    Vonage - Deceitful tactics!

I signed on with Vonage on Sept 8th. The rep I spoke with never mentioned that my phone service was dependent on internet service. Brad asked who did I have DSL with and I told him it was Verizon. I also told him that I didn't want to switch my DSL from Verizon which he stated that wouldn't be a problem. On Sept 20 my phone line was completely transferred from my previous phone carrier. I could make a phone call but I couldn't receive a call. I called Vonage and for 2 1/2 hours tried to resolve this issue. On Sept 21 I told Vonage I wanted to cancel my service because my request to have phone service for calling and receiving calls didn't look like it was going to happen. On Sept 21 (Friday) when I arrived home from work I had no dial tone. I didn't make an attempt to contact Vonage on the weekend because I was truly fed up with Vonage. On Monday Sept24 I called Vonage to explain my problem. I was told that I NEED DSL SERVICE TO HAVE PHONE SERVICE WITH VONAGE BUT VONAGE DISCONNECTED MY DSL SERVICE WITH VERIZON. And if I wanted DSL service with Verizon I should call Verizon and ask for them to reconnect my DSL. How are they going to disconnect a service that I need in order to have phone service?? As far as I am concerned Vonage reps are deceitful in how they sell the Vonage service. NO ONE told me that Vonage phone service can only be had if you have DSL service because it is an internet service. I found that out by asking question after question until the rep finally had to admit what I had eventually figured out. Their commercials do not mention internet in order to have phone service with them. Now I have to wait two weeks before I can get phone service again with Verizon because I don't know what Vonage did with my phone lines. Presently I am without phone service. I have a pregnant daughter and a husband with health problems at home. This is totally unacceptable. It is Vonage responsibility to make sure that I had phone service and they should have done whatever they needed to do to get it done. I will write and tell anyone and everyone about Vonages deceitful tactics.

Debbie Ruiz.

• Be
      Sep 27, 2007
    Vonage - Poor service

I called to cancel my Vonage service July 31st, 2017. After getting harassed for at least 20- possibly even 30 minutes, I was told that I would have to call back because cancellations were done in real-time. I never agreed to the free months they offered, or different plans, or anything else, but stuck to my guns that I needed to cancel.

No other service I have ever had to deal with has ever made it so difficult to cancel. My initial call was sufficient enough to cancel. When we called to cancel our business Vonage line, they did it right then, although they did say we weren't entitled to a refund of any used days, which I completely agreed with and didn't mind at all. We had unused days on our consumer line also, but wouldn't have minded that they kept that payment even though there weren't any services offered; I just wanted to have the service canceled. (Although in retrospect, every other company I've ever dealt with, from utilities to insurance to rent payments are prorated for the actual days of service. Why does Vonage get away with keeping payments for days of no service? Just another example of their unethical company?)

I kept getting billed, although they "suspended" my account (which means I couldn't use it, but they would still bill me for it, even though I had canceled it?) INSTEAD of canceling it as I had requested, and each month would correspond through several emails that I had canceled. I would even get emails that would say their representatives would call me, which they never did, and one final email which would say I must call. All of this I have on record.

I called again September 26 and before the representative could give me the pre-printed runaround spiel, I told her in no uncertain terms that I needed to make sure the account was canceled and that I should not have a balance. "Faye" even tried to keep me as a customer, although she admitted we didn't use the service! What she meant was she would be happy to continue having Vonage bill me for NO SERVICES! I can't think of any company who can get away with billing someone for nothing. Vonage shouldn't be allowed to continue this practice. After a Google search revealed this is a common practice with Vonage, I cannot let my complaints go unheard.

All I'm asking is for Vonage to respect the fact that I called to cancel on July 31st and that I should not have been billed in subsequent months. I'm not asking for anything for free, and they shouldn't either. It is unfair, unethical, and surely the beginning of the end of Vonage. Vonage employes unfair pressure and harassment to try to keep the customers they already have.

While I had Vonage service, I was pleased and would refer my friends to Vonage. My tune has changed. Any company who tries to obtain money from someone and not offer any service must be an company who is operating illegally, and I cannot possibly continue to tout the advantages of their "services."

My request is simple and completely fair. July 31st is my cancellation date, and my balance is 0.00. I should not have to pay for services which I canceled in good faith, and which were unused.

Oct 17, 2007

Not a customer based on the fact that I CAN'T STAND THAT OBNOXIOUS THEME SONG OF THEIRS! Every time that commercial comes on I want to beat the life out of whoever 'wrote' it, and whoever decided that it would be a good idea to have it as the theme song for nonage for all of eternity!

• Pe
      Oct 31, 2007

I lose communication after a few minutes, the line cuts off. I can hear the person on the other line but they cannot hear me. This has been ongoing over a long time. I phoned vonage and they have no clue on what is wrong.

Has anybody had similar problems?

• Ca
      Jan 07, 2008
    Vonage - Billing after cancellation
    Champaign
    Illinois
    Phone: 217-351-1848

We switched back to AT&T from Vonage because the Vonage never worked for very long at a time and was out of service more than in service. AT&T called Vonage on 7/18/07 to discontinue our service (AT&T called them so we could keep our phone number.) We are still being billed by VOnage on our credit card - the last being in December 2017. We try to contact them but have been on hold longer than 40 minutes each time. My husband finally got through and they would not talk to him (even though they are charding his credit card) because I set up the account. Vonage is ripping us off!
    what can we do about this?

Jan 19, 2008
    Vonage - Vonage is unethical, provides poor service, fraudulently charges card

ALWAYS communicate with Vonage via POSTAL mail (paper).

Vonage is the new MCI: they're good at selling but have ZERO interest in customer service, have ZERO ethics, and don't even have the best audio codecs. You're call quality will suffer with vonage. Most of their money is spent on advertising. Their "support" model is like AOL: paying abusive cretins that use vonage with free vonage service. ZERO accountability!!

You're better off with VoicePulse.com or even voip.com. VoicePulse has the BEST quality audio codecs with the lowest compression. $20/mo unlimited National. They also offer lower bandwidth codecs. I use them. They're a little slow implementing new features. It's been TWO years and no new features.. but they will never screw you like vonage does.

--quote-start--

VoicePulse is the only service that offers five features to protect your privacy.

* Do Not Disturb stops all calls.
    * Filters let you configure who can ring your phone and who can't. (puts an end to abusive family calls)
    * CallerID Block stops others from seeing your phone number when you make calls. (if I don't get to see who it is they are NOT ALLOWED to ring MY phone)

Combine with YouMail.com for your mobile phone -- screw verizon wireless!

If you're techically savvy consider getting OPEN SOURCE asterisk and setting up your own VoIP system that's SIP friendly.. with EVERY FEATURE imaginable..

asterisk.org

"Asterisk is the world’s leading open source telephony engine and tool kit. Offering flexibility unheard of in the world of proprietary communications, Asterisk empowers developers and integrators to create advanced communication solutions...for free"

asterisknow.org

"AsteriskNOW is an open source Software Appliance; a customized Linux distribution that includes Asterisk (the leading open source telephony engine and tool kit), the AsteriskGUI™, and all other software needed for an Asterisk system. AsteriskNOW is easy to install, and offers flexibility, functionality and features not available in advanced, high-cost proprietary business systems."

The VoIP providers, especially vonage, will hate me for informing you about asterisk! ;)

spread the word and screw vonage into non-existence

web ads suck too. never see another one. get all three easylists: http://easylist.adblockplus.org

For best results use a router that works with DD-WRT.com firmware!

If you're EXTEMELY techically savvy consider getting OPEN SOURCE asterisk and setting up your own VoIP system that's SIP friendly.. with EVERY FEATURE imaginable..

Suck service is BREACH of contract. SUE for a full refund in small claims court

Vonage is the new MCI: they're good at selling but have ZERO interest in customer service, have ZERO ethics, and don't even have the best audio codecs. You're call quality will suffer with vonage. Most of their money is spent on advertizing. Their "support" model is like AOL: paying abusive cretins that use vonage with free vonage service. ZERO accountability!!

Jan 19, 2008

Sounds like BREACH of contract. SUE for a full refund in small claims court. I won my claim. You can, too!

•   Feb 08, 2008
    Vonage - Refuses to refund unused monthly service charge
    23 Main Street
    www.vonage.com

On Dec 24th 2017, my phone number was successfully transferred OUT of Vonage. Accordingly, my account with them should have been auto-disconnected (this is in their policy). I was billed in advance on my credit card for the period Dec 21, 2017 to Jan 20, 2017. However, since my service was canceled and I do not have a contract with them, I should have received a refund for the unused portion. To this date, they have refused to refund my money.

• Mo
      Feb 27, 2008

i signed up for vonage without checking for complaints....i called them to complain that the phone adapter they shipped me was defective, and what did they do? shipped me another one and charged me for shipping.

Mar 08, 2008
    Vonage - They lie and steal your money!
    23 main street
    Phone: 7325282600

The equipment did not work, I called to cancel several times, only to be transferred around and disconnected, after 6 months of this I finally got to speak to an actual person, I told him what was going on,and that I was canceling my service. He said it would cost me $131.38 to cancel the service I was so fed-up by this time, I said fine, he then gave me my cancellation # and said he was pushing the deactivate service button. I thought my nightmare was finally over, 2 days later I got an email from them, titled opinion survey so I opened it and read it,they were thanking me for remaining a valued customer. Needless to say I called them back this lady said it was an oversight and they would have it corrected within 24 hours, well I got curious and called my bank to see if he took the $131.38 cents out of my bank account anyways, he didn't, instead vonage took $218.98 cents out of my bank account for disconnection fees. I did NOT authorize that much, every one there lies and steals. There are no work ethics, the company needs to be shut down.

• Am
      Mar 19, 2008
    Vonage - Bad service!
    Hamden
    Connecticut
    Phone: 617-639-0264

This is regarding the extremely frustrating experience we had with Vonage today. To begin with, we took the connection on 18th Feb. My account was debited with $35. without any prior notice today. There was not even email communication regarding this. When spoken to the representative - Jeff, to quote his words, "we were supposed to send the mail, but we didn't." How will I dispute my bill, when I never even receive a notice about it. To quote your rule -"Billing Disputes. If you want to dispute any Vonage charges on your statement, you must notify us within 7 days after you receive your statement from your bank or credit card issuer. If you do not dispute the charges within 7 days, you waive any right to contest the charges. "

When you are not even giving me any notice to begin with, how will I come to know about the amount you are debiting from my account and how will I contest your charges. I spoke to Jeff for about 40 minutes and decided finally to cancel my account or talk to the manager. When asked about cancellation, he said my 30 day period had elapsed, when it didn't.

Per Vonage rule -.

"We offer a money back guarantee if you terminate your service within 30 days from your subscription date. The subscription date is the date you order service or the date we successfully process your payment, whichever is later. It is not the day you receive the equipment you ordered or the first day you use the service. " In this case, subscription date = 18 Feb '08 and payment was processed on 19 Feb '08, so per rule 19th Feb '08 should be used to consider the 30 day period, so as of 19th mar '08 which is today, it makes it 29 days.

When asked to transfer my call to Accounts Dept, he put me on hold indefinitely and finally the call got disconnected. I called VONAGE again and this time, it was Chris and he had little idea about my problem. I think you should remember that I am calling VONAGE and not Jeff or Chris. Your representative should know why I called. I shouldn't have to repeat my whole thing again, This is extremely annoying especially when the person doesn't even know what I am talking about.
    Again, he promised to transfer the call to Accounts, which never happened and finally the call got disconnected.

Is this the level of customer satisfaction you maintain? This is pathetic. I would definitely post my opinion about this on the net and let others know about it. Anyway, That besides the point.

So Just want to say beware of VONAGE GIMMICKS. They have lot of fine print!

• La
      Apr 07, 2008

I absoutly DO NOT recommend Vonage phone serivce to anyone. They have charged me for 3 months for phone service I have not used, my device got lost, and by the time I received it Iwas already being billed for phone service. By the way I had cancelled my Phone service within the trial period, which never got cancelled. This is the MOST HORRIBLE experience I have EVER GONE THrough. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR PHONE SERVICE WITH VONAGE.

•   Apr 11, 2008
    Vonage - Unauthorized billing!
    www.vonage.com

I contacted Vonage for a year to stop billing my Terminally ill Mother, she since died and they are still billing her account and will not stop. Vonage makes it impossible to contact anyone, and even if you get a valid number you will have a 30 min to over an hour wait. This is a terrible blood sucking company that prides itself in raping and pillaging the public.

•   Apr 13, 2008
    Vonage - Illegal bills
    www.vonage.com

I switched my phone services from vonage to callvantage (at&t). As normal, it takes about 2 weeks for the complete transfer. Vonage gave AT&T permission to start a new account with me and they turned around billed me for many months after the transfer date.

They went further by reporting my name to the credit bureau agencies and destroyed my credit. I have proof of all the illegal bills and proof when they agreed to stop my account and transfer it to AT&T. I need help on how to get Vonage held accountable for its wrongdoing?

•   May 25, 2008
    Vonage - Outright fraud
    Bolingbrook
    Illinois

Vonage�s 30 Day free trial Fraud

On April 14, 2017 I called Vonage�s 800 number to sign up for their Unlimited Local & Long Distance calling (Premium Unlimited Plan) for $24.99 per mo. which included with a free 30 day trial period.

I spoke with a Vonage sales rep and gave him all the information he needed and my credit card number to be used as guarantee back-up for payment, I wanted monthly billing sent to my home.

After we finished the sign up process, he said for the cost of just $.99 cents that is, I could get another line for fax or whatever I needed it for. He appologized for the .99 saying it was required for 911 service. I said ok, and he said they would send acknowledgement for my order via email and the service would start when I received my modem in the mail, (5 to 7 days).

Also that I should go to their websites and check the status of the installation process..

On the April 15, I went online to the Vonage website, I notice that on April 14, 2017 my credit card had been charged ($25.54) for various start-up fees and there was another charge to my credit card for $48.69 on April 15 for installation and monthly service fees for the second line.

I called Vonage customer service and told them that the sales rep said it would only cost 99 cents. This service rep pretty much accused me of lying and said she had never heard of such a thing. I said if it cost what they had charged my credit card, then I didn�t want a second line. She asked if I wanted to cancel the second line and I said yes I did.

Later that day, I checked to see if my order had been corrected, I found another charge on my credit card for $39.99 to have the second line canceled.

That evening I called customer service and spoke to someone about what happend and he said I shouldn�t have been charged for the cancellation. Also that he would submit for a refund on the second line installation charges. My Vonage account was credited fir $39.99, not my credit card. Then on April 27 my Vonage account was credited for the second line installation, again not to my credit card.

So now I had a credit balance of $88.68 on my Vonage account.

On April 21, I received the modem and installed it and now my telephone line was activated.

I wasn�t real happy with Vonage sales and customer service but thought I would try it.

I noticed a severe degradation in my cable internet service which Vonage uses as its telephone line.

After trying a few thing suggested by Vonage technical service there was still the degradation for my internet.

I decided Vonage wasn�t for me so on May 16, 2017 I called another carrier and signed up with them. They would noltify Vonage and change my number to them. We went through a verification with another company that asked if I was requesting the switch and I confirmed it.

On May 19, when the new service started, when I went to disconnect the Vonage modem I called Vonage because I noticed the service was still on, their modem was still activated into my interent carrier and still degrading the service. I said I had cancelled their service and wanted to get an RMA to return the modem.

After 20 minutes of badgering me with all sorts of offers they told me there would be cancellation charges because their agreement with me stated such and that I couldn�t return the modem because it had been used. I asked why the cancellation charges and she said because it was over 30 days and I had an agreement. I said no it wasn�t over 30 days because my service was never activated until April 21 and I cancelled on May 16. The service rep was everything but pleasant. She kept telling me our contract specified all of this. I then told her I had no contract and never signed one and wouldn�t have it this was specified. She then told me my cancellation charges would be $122.08. I said I needed to speak to someone else and she said she was a manager and that no one else was higher. After continuing to tell her I needed to speak to someone else I was put on hold for about 20 minutes and finally someone in the accounting department answered and told

me they couldn�t help me because they were the accounting department and their computer did this when someone cancels service.

I immediately went to Vonage website to see if they cancelled the account and a charge of $122.08 was already on my credit card.

So far Vonage made 4 charges totaling ($236.30) to my credit card that was suppose to be used for backup payment only. Out of the 4 charges only the first for $25.54 could be considered legitimate even thought they told me no activation charges.

My Vonage account showed no credits for the earlier false charges.

I have all documentation to support what I have stated including the Vonage advertisement for the free 30 day stating to how to get a RMA to return the Vonage modem.

This is outright fraud.

May 22 I called Vonage to get an RMA to send back their modem and they refused to give me an RMA. Their 30 free trial ad says I have 14 days to return the modem after I cancelled the service,

I am documenting this they will later tell me I didn't return the modem with the 14 days.

•   Jul 01, 2008
    Vonage - Poor service
    www.vonage.com

When someone called our house, they had to dial long distance because it appeared on caller I'd that we lived in a different town. Also, the call was dropped almost every time! - Tried to disconnect with their service- two freaking hours on the phone! I had to keep calling back because they kept hanging up on me! The deal advertised on TV was the one we got, but yet 200 dollars came out of my pocket! Well, the "free" 30 day trial ended on a weekend so if I called to quit the service that Monday, I would be within the 30 days. No! I still had to pay a full bill and pay additional fees to quit Vonage! Vonage ***!

• Ca
      Jul 07, 2008

I also feel ripped off.I signed up then found out vonage has no service avalable in my area, something that they should have known and probly did know.when i got the equipment i refused delivery, and had already called to let them know about there not having any service in my area, whoever that i spoke to said that they would take care of it, well they refunded to my credit card what they had charged but kept on billing me.I called and to make avery long story short i talled to manager that said that the other person i had spoke to didn't have the authority to cancel my service, she acknowleged that service was not avable and that they had recieved the equipment back and that i would be charged a disconnect fee, she is a sweetheart don't you think. I called my credit card coumpany and they said that they could help me, i also called the attorney general's consumer protection division in my state i will be calling the BBB in my state and theirs.

•   Jul 14, 2008
    Vonage - Rip-off!
    Philippines
    www.vonage.com

Even after 1 whole year of service (very poor service) they still want to charge you 39.95 for dropping service. I signed for one year..

Service was VOIP phone service. Even after adjusting settings over the internet, I couldn't make calls during holidays, echoes while talking on the phone, drop calls & the other person couldn't hear me or I couldn't hear them.

If you cancel the service before a year they charge over $200.

Most of the customer service, including supervisors have a very heavy accent. They were difficult for me to understand. Before commiting to a company I will find out where the company is based in the future.

• Br
      Jul 17, 2008

I canceled within the given period and they continued to take 40.00 per month out of my account until i had to cancel my credit card. Then they harassed me for more money. I have documentation showing cancelation and switching to another company. I cancelled 7 times on the phone for more than 16 hours with there "DrepDeeZeteetifs" or thats what they sounded like. Everything is outsourced. Vonage likes to burn bridges from both ends while you are in the middle and laugh while charging you a toll at gunpoint to got back on land. I was billed for months after the number was transferred and they have the balls to say I owe them a disconnect fee???!!! I am writing to BBB, consumer reports, state legislation and every media company I can think of! I have all of my bank statements and a letter confirming my cancellation and company switch within the alloted time. I am a man of heavy principle and will spend way more than they (vonage) are asking just to sue their ### off!

• Ga
      Aug 01, 2008

Upon hooking up our new Vonage phone, the Vonage company illegally disconnected service from our other business phone without our consent, (after repeatedly assuring us there would be no conflict with the other line) and after over THREE HOURS on the phone refused to even admit it was possible. (and yes... they did do it, this is not a misunderstanding).
    And after all that, refused to budge on charging us the temporary $40 disconnect fee, even after we explained that we DIDN'T HAVE IT in the account and it would result in a overdraft fee from our bank. (that was account management, thanks Thoriah or whetever your name was)

Thank you, Vonage, and thanks to your condescending staff of foreigners for putting us through hell and robbing us of a full weekend's worth of business(so far).

•   Aug 07, 2008

Hello, I contacted Vonage to discuss service. They were very misleading. I discussed the pricing with the service rep which sounded like a good deal, he then needed my checking acct info which I gave him then he proceeded to read the terms and conditions of the acct. After hearing part of the terms plus he was foreign and had for me to understand I decide that I didn't want to sign up and told him several times that I was no longer interested. He told me that it was too late that my payment was processed already which I then told him that he has to read me the terms before I bind to a contract and then ask to speak with a supervisor and I told her same thing that I was not interested in their services and not to proceed with billing my acct. Told me payment was processed and phone had been shipped. I never committed to anything. Was charged $29.36. Called the next day to complain and was told that I couldn't cancel until I received phone and shipped it back. I now have the phone and called for return address and they have taken 42.79 out of my acct since I canceled the acct and I have to pay the shipping to send phone that I never wanted in the first place back to them. I have contacted Good Morning America and hope to have a response soon. I have surfed the web and my heart sank when I read all of the complaints against this company and the way there stealing from people. Legally they have to read the terms of the contract first before processing your checking acct or credit cards... this company is very misleading and a disgrace. How can the CEO of this company sleep at nite letting its employees treat people unfairly and stealing there money... Beware of this company I work too hard for my money to have it stolen from me.

•   Aug 11, 2008
    Vonage - Vonage cost me thousands and I never once made nor received a call with the company.
    23 Main Street
    vonage.com

I signed up for Vonage under the conditions that I would have uninterrupted phone, internet, and fax service. When my internet was cut off, they told me that I should have had a "dry loop". My current internet provider was now cut off, and I was charged a cancellation fee. Over the course of four months I was strung along with no service, but promises that everything would be alright. Don't worry. I was told on three separate occasions that "by the end of this call, your problem will be taken care of". They kept giving me extra trial months until I had service.

Too make a long story "fairly" short, I was charged for six months of phone and fax service. I never once made nor received a call with Vonage. I never sent nor received a fax. I cancelled to stop the bleeding, until I could resolve things. I received nothing but empty promises, and automated responses. I, later found out that they had not cancelled my account, but since I cancelled through their website, and not from my email account, I had no documentation of this. They charged a cancellation fee on top.

I spent hundreds of dollars on my cell phone bills because Vonage left me with no phone. I lost thousands of dollars in business, because I'm a salesperson with no internet, home phone, or fax. I must have been an optimist, because my Vonage fax number was on my new business cards.

I disputed the charges, and my credit card company took some of them off my bill. Vonage kept putting the charges right back on. After a while, Mastercard was tired of dealing with it.

I spent over 24 hours on the phone with various Vonage representatives over this time period. Although some were nice, my situation was never even considered (let alone resolved).

That's why I just contacted the Better Business Bureau. Let's see what happens. If anyone needs help disputing Vonage, or utilizing the Bureau, please contact me. Until my situation is resolved, I'm dedicating my free time to make sure that bullies like this don't take advantage of good people. The more people we get together, the easier it gets.

• Up
      Aug 31, 2008

Jesus Christ!!! What the hell is wrong with this company!!!

Oct 07, 2008
    Vonage - bad service and wrong charges
    vonage
    23 main street
    holmel
    Phone: 1-888-468-1412
    vonage.com

I had vonage phone service for a month. I had to cancel the service because there were several times the phone service did not work. I did not know they charge on my credit card automatially. According to Vonage, I owe them charges of disconnection fee and eqipment recovery fee because I went over a month free period. I had used vonage phone service from Feb 21, 2017 to March 18, 2017. But I was heard that my vonage account started from the day I called and signed on the plan, which was Feb 11, 2017. I had to have a modam to use the phone service. I believe I got the modam on Feb 20 or 21.
    1. I did not know they automatically charge on my credit card
    2. I didnot know there was disconnection fee.
    3. I did not know they charge the service before I set the phone line in my house.
    4. Is it legal to use other company's internet to use phone service?

Oct 09, 2008
    Vonage - disconnect charge
    VONAGE
    Phoenix
    Arizona

CLOSED OUT MID AUG.08. COX INSTALLED 8-26-08, STARTED calling immediately. Got Visa charges, for Oct 08 bill, stating charges. Called and found out disconnect charge.
    when was that charge updated at their website?
    my birthday, 8-13-08. section 8.7 at their website.
    One would need a lawyer to go thru the rest of their entries.
    Gen said when I signed up, i was told. Maybe??I asked for a copy. i looked in my file case where i put everything for taxes, only the email from friend where to purchase said connection box. so be aware of future charges on your credit card. i suggest you record conversation.

• Je
      Oct 22, 2008

I just disconnected my service after paying for three months of service that never worked and to top it off I had to pay for this month's service, a disconnect fee and for the used equipment they sent me!!!
    My husband is deploying and I am moving in with my family and they first tried to get me to keep the service at a lesser rate and I asked them why would I do that? Then they said that maybe my husband could use their service, IN IRAQ!!! Next they offered to knock off a portion of the fees if I sent them his deployment oders. Yet they will not knock off some of the fees for the fact that their service NEVER worked and their equipment was used and that I am willing to send it back. How is that right? Their customer service reps do not know how to do their job and are rude. I am telling everyone I know to not use their services and in my own way it helps me deal with losing almost $200 to them.
    Jen

• Re
      Dec 09, 2008
    Vonage - Terrible company
    vonage.com

When I signed up for Vonage phone service I spoke with one of their customer service reps over the phone who assured me that I would not be locked into a contract and that I could cancel my service anytime without penalties. Today I spoke with Felipe Salazar and I explain to him I want to cancel and... Big Surprise... Over 110 $ penalties will be required to cancel this contract!!!

I made it clear that I did not want to be locked into any contract should I decide Vonage was not for me and wanted to opted out later. Again, phone companies lie and hide with the small letters the truth. To me, there was no contract and that there would be no penalties to cancel.

PLEASE Pass to other people, I will check what are my options now.