Virginia College Online / Fraud

Birmingham, AL, United States Review updated:

I was looking for a paralegal college online and I just found out that this college is not regionally accredited and I was oltd that it was. Also, they have been pocketing my financial aid and never telling me how much FA I have and how much they are taking out. Never tell me the loan details. If the school is not regionally accreditted then I can't get a job, tuition reimbursement. they have been using up my financial aid and me habing to pay a loan for a bogus degree. Lots of complaints online, not just me. I am a victim of VCO. I am so crushed because I worked hard for a year and I really liked the college and now I can't even transfer my credits. if I got the degree I wouldn't be able to use it so what is the point?

Comments

• Jc
      16th of Mar, 2010

I’d have to agree with everything this person says. I have been at Virginia College, it’s almost ridiculous to call it a college, for almost three years. Why almost three years you ask? Because when I first enrolled in this hell hole of a college (notice I used a lowercase C ) I came in as a Human Resource Management program. Three whole quarters later they dropped the program. I was forced to change to Administrative Office Management. So I’m stuck PAYING for the credits in HRM that don’t transfer into AOM. Isn’t that grand, but back to my complaining! Financial Aid is sluggish and incompetent. The business office is riddled half wits that NEVER ANSWER THE PHONE! It’s like they have caller-id, see our names and say, “I don’t want to talk to that ### hole, ” and don’t pick up the phone. We have had five, yes five, deans since I have been here. The last was a short Nazi lady named Dean Bruce! She stalked the halls pointing out everyone’s flaws. She lorded over the teachers like a harpy, making them paranoid! Our President looks like a pedophile, with his short arms and legs. When I first enrolled the people that I spoke to said that our credits will, “transfer to any university.” I knew that was a lie, but I have watched as friends graduate and try to go on to further their education, finding themselves starting all over again. Students that have been popped with an additional grand a few days before graduation, the audacity! In today’s time money is hard to come by and so are jobs. I am walking away from Virginia College of Mobile with a piece of worthless paper and $30, 000 in debt. So I’m gonna go work at the Tobacco Shack in Bay Minette, Alabama, and go back to REAL college and try to put this whole twisted nightmare behind me!

Seething with hushed rage,

J Cross

• Wa
      14th of Jun, 2010

Is there a scam asociated with spam from online schools? I recently received an email from Virginia College (verified, not from a third party) regarding my interest in this school. The link goes to vc.edu and not some other site. I am an attorney and never expressed interest in the school. It is impossible to believe that they accidentially have my correct name and email address. Maybe they buy lists of email addresses and names.

• Ne
      21st of Jun, 2010

i too have been suckered into virginia college, they have put me through hell, the financial aid, oh my god what idiots, once i got one guy who left working there the next day, i have gone through 6 people and i still do not have my financial aid, they keep claiming the paper work is not done, yea right, if it was not done i would never of started there, the way they treat their students, that is a crime, students are treated like the [censor] of the earth. i am going to school so i can get off social security disability, and these [censor] holes, i have had enough. will be calling the deupt of education.

• Bh
      14th of Aug, 2010

J Cross, your comments are hilarious. Your grammar makes you sound as though you did not graduate elementary school; perhaps college wouldn't have done that much, anyway. Virginia College offers real degrees. If you didn't get the type of degree you wanted then it's your fault for failing to research the school before enrolling. ;)

• Fo
      18th of Aug, 2010

DCHWilson,

Stop being an apologist for a seedy unscrupulous industry and college. I actually don't blame the college itself, they found a way to "rob" consumers and tax payers of title IV funding and they make an ridiculous amount of profit while providing absolutely no service back to the community (grads that cannot read/write are the norm)...I blame the system as a whole that has allowed this shadow industry to survive and thrive by taking advantage of those that don't do the proper research...Those of us that work there know how bad it truly is, students don't know the half of how bad it is...there are no internal processes, no standardized system for enrolling/assisting/withdrawing students (it gets made up daily as we go)

If you have been ripped off by VC or any other online non-regionally accredited school and you have written documentation to prove it, please contact the Dept of Ed, the BBB, the Inspector General and the State Attorney General...

• Ya
      2nd of Oct, 2010

To be frank, most employers don't know the difference between the two types of accreditation. Very few employers will question the name of the college you attended, let alone its accreditation status. If you do run into concerns about your school or its accreditation, you may want to direct your employer to the U.S. Department of Education's Web page on accreditation issues. An explanation from this government authority will confirm that both types of accreditation are valid.

If you have a specific employer in mind, or if you hope that your degree will lead to a promotion at your current job, you might want to ask a Human Resources employee about the school(s) you are considering.

I'm in my fourth semester at Virginia College and have had few issues worth bringing up.

J. Yat

• Cl
      9th of Oct, 2010

Virginia online college are crooks no doubt about it!. I do not care how an individual can write in the column. You understand Virginia online college are crooks. They steal finical aid money also your loan money. They do not provide any documentation on your funds that are being with -held in their bank account. Now all of a sudden they are robbed of millions check the News Its true. But" "No students accounts are affected as they are aware." Leaving poor people in debt, just taking advantage of the poor in this economy ? I am filing a petition!!! If you have been ripped off please contact me with your email address. Tell me your case, we can work on getting this school shut down by turning evidence in by numbers with complaints. Maybe we can get our money back and a chance at another education investment. [protected]@secretary.net I have been in school 2 years $3000 paid out of $20, 000 loans. $15, 000 Pell grant. The disbursement s letters came no check. I know college is not eating up every dime Right?

• Sh
      4th of Jan, 2011

I am currently in my fourth year at VC online. I will not be graduating this quarter due to mismanagement on behalf of the advisors that the college assigned me. Basically they had me take classes that did not count to fulfilling my degree requrements, and now, though I have enough credits to graduate, I cannot because they are not the "right" credits. I have spoken to a lawyer who thinks I have a case, but he suggested that I try to find others in the Southeast that have had similar problems in order to bring a class action suit. If anyone has had a situation where you were advised to take classes that were unnecesary, or a situation where Virginia College's errors cost you and you have any documentation, and you are willing to participate in a lawsuit (you would not have to pay anything), please contact me!

• Ro
      10th of Jan, 2011

I do classes online also with virginia college and I'm having problems with them telling me how much money that I have left out of my loan also everytime the money comes in. They will not tell me how much I have left over and they alway tell you oh! we will send you whats left over. But its never enough and then sometime they will tell you if you need funds you can request a loan. And when you do they tell me oh! your funds are going to run out if you keep requesting funds. If I didn't go to school online they wouldn't get the money. This is my first time filling out a request sheet. I'm disabled also. And for people that have misued funds it is not everyones fault. You need to think about that. If I have to have a lawyer I will get one. I have read some of these complaints and they have me worried.

• Sh
      10th of Jan, 2011

I too was a student there at vc online the situation that occured with me is that as stated above my fasfa did not not what i was gettin had to call so many times to get and answer then to my while attending i was having computer issues called there so called tech dept. and they could not fix the problem explained to my studnet advisor nd she stated that she will let the instructor know whats going on . continued to call about the problem still could not log in for the discussion and each time i received a new student advisor ND I have to pay for a class tht I could log into Now thats a Mess... un happy about this..

11th of Jan, 2011

I was told by them also that when i finished there i could transfer my credits to any major colled i wanted to to go on and further my degree. After leaveing VC I found out I had benn lied to. NO state college or university will take ANY of my credits. There for I am 13, 000.00 in debt now and pretty much nothing to show for it!!! I have personally never want to sue anyone or anyplace before in my life, but this has me so upset I dont know what to do!

• Bi
      25th of Jan, 2011

I agree with everyone on these posts. I went to Virginia College online last year, pass all of my classes except 2 which I was cheated out of. I Had Professor Jabra for 2 of my main classes that i needed to graduate. I post my assignment and he never responded to my emails or did he even give me the time of day. I talked with my advisor, did not even get to talk with the dean of the school, so furthermore the school kicked me out permanently, had to submit a doctors request, write a essay saying how much of a sickly dumb [censor] i was and then they might let me back in if i suck everyones [censor]. "THOSE [censor]" . So i sucked everyones [censor] and still dont have a degree or financial aid coming. Lesson Learned. There is no degree in [censor] sucking. Only disease

• Ap
      17th of Feb, 2011

I also went to virginia college for almost two years. Every time I asked about my loans and where they were going to, the virginia college staff could not tell me. They kept giving me the run around about everything. When I first enrolled, I was told that it would could no more than $18, 000. I was cool with that considering that I could get grants and scholarships to help me pay for it. Every time I would get a grant, virginia college would tell me "thats the amount that you could get, not what you actually get". I checked with the company that I received the grants from and was told that virginia college had gotten all of that money. Another thing, I was supplied with brand new books from the college (and no they would never tell me how much I was paying for them) and every somester that I had to use MY books, the college would charge me for a whole new set! When I graduated I was told that when we passed our test that we could go online and order our phlebotomy and EKG cards. I graduated, went online to order my cards that I took the test for, and guess what... turns out that I would have to go back and take 2 separate test to get them. And yes I would also have to pay for these exams that I had already taken.

• La
      21st of Feb, 2011

Virginia College wont stop calling me even after I told them I'm a student somewhere else. And although they are a scam and stealing your money why in the world would you sign up for a school like this?!?!! You say you're in debt and your credits won't transfer, well duh! Why wouldn't you look into that before you signed up. You are all idiots for not paying attention. I noticed on another post from a former employee that VC preys on students that can not read and write and obviously that is true because some of you seem to have the education of a 3rd grader. Would you buy a car or house without having it checked out first? Truth is YOU probably would but any smart person would. As pissed off as you are you can't blame anyone but yourselves for not checking into it. The day I read up on the school I found out they weren't accredited which is why I now go to an accredited school. Good luck on finding a job, and PS when you do finally finish and decide to go back to school don't go to Remington or Medvance either, same concept especially Remington.

• Vc
      11th of Apr, 2011

I am enrolled in VCO, and I have not had any problems. I know how much I pay and I get my refund checks in a timely manner.

• Ha
      31st of May, 2011

The following editorial first appeared in the San Jose Mercury News:

Though leaders in the House of Representatives insist their No. 1 priority is cutting government spending, it’s clear they have other goals. Among them is protecting the for-profit college industry, even though some of its practices waste untold millions in tax dollars and hurt poor and minority students.

For months, the Department of Education has been working to develop the so-called “gainful employment” rule, which would help ensure that students attending for-profit colleges will be able to earn enough after they graduate to repay their federal loans. While the for-profit education sector — which includes colleges such as the University of Phoenix — enrolls just 12 percent of students, it takes in a quarter of student aid and accounts for 43 percent of loan defaults. Reform is clearly needed.

So it was astonishing last month to see GOP lawmakers in the House, along with about 50 Democrats, pass legislation that blocked funding to implement the gainful employment rule. These lawmakers claim they’re concerned the rule will limit access to college. The truth is that it will limit the profits of their campaign contributors.

Republicans in the Senate are trying to pass a similar measure. We hope California Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer will help lead the effort to block it.

The rule will affect only the 5 percent of programs that do an egregiously bad job, leaving students with no career prospects and with debt they can’t repay. It will require a two-part test to measure program graduates’ ability to pay back the loans. Failing both tests knocks a program out of the federal student aid program, which is funded by taxpayers and makes up a majority of these companies’ revenue.

Republican leaders beholden to the for-profit institutions are undercutting their proclaimed commitment to reduced and responsible spending.

Even if the deficit were not more than $1 trillion a year, taxpayers should not be subsidizing for-profit colleges that don’t educate their students.

Where is the tea party when we need it?

27th of Jun, 2011

I have had problems with VC online in Brimingham also with my loans. I apply for a advance loan to pay for some school supplies I had to have to help me stay online and the money was given to the school in April and they still have it and stating they can find it but they have one of them. They are scaming people. Constance of Chattanooga Tn

• Up
      29th of Jun, 2011

I was wondering if there have been any results in any of the above complaints? My wife has been taking online course through VCO, and has been assured that they were accredited and would have no problem getting a Government job. Only to find out after 2 years and huge student loans, that their accreditation is not recognized by any government, and she'll basically have to start over. Has anyone had any relief or results?

• Wa
      6th of Jul, 2011

Dear Upset in NJ
    How did VC get you way up there in NJ? These new disclosures that the for profits are having to post of their website should tell the story. It it is going to cost you $25, 000 to learn a trade that pays $21, 000, you are screwed from the start. Schools loan will be with you for a very long time and you cannot bankrupt them, they are like a bad dream. A $25, 000 loan could end up costing a person $250 - $350 per month in payments.

I looks like the people who go to these places are looking for something for nothing fast, and that is what they get NOTHING. The job market is tight, people from real schools are going to get the jobs because ther are plenty of them out in the market place. Walking in with a degree from an online univerity like VC is going to get you nowhere. Just my opionion.

• Li
      21st of Aug, 2011

I graduated from this hellhole of a school with an Associates but could not attend my graduation because of the incompetence of the financial aid department. The staff are bums and ###s from the Dean on down and then they have the audacity to catch attitudes because you call asking about YOUR refund check that YOU are going to have to pay back. We, the students have to suffer because they switched over to a new system of dealing with your disbursements and refunds, BLAH, BLAH BLAH. All of these excuses are just a smokescreen to keep your money.
    They act as if they are doing you a favor by giving you YOUR money. When I called in to the financial aid office I always got a *sigh* and an attitude because these functioning ###s do not want to do their job. The financial aid coordinator that I was assigned to never had any information about my loans. She just told me some crap to get me off the phone. Why was she even there? There was never an exact breakdown of what I was paying for. If you go on the student portal, which btw is a joke of a website that looks like it had been created by a intoxicated toddler, they only show your loan disbursements and your balance so that is not a true breakdown either. These people are shysters to the core.
    Let us not even get on the illiterates that they have for professors/instructors. They have the audacity to take off points if you make one typo but they can jack up a whole paragraph and think someone is supposed to take them seriously. One of these so-called “instructors” told me that I was SOL since my computer crashed and did not even try to help me with the situation. This was not the case for all of the instructors but the great majority seemed like they could have phoned in their so-called “instruction.”
    In addition, the process of securing an externship was a total fiasco. I was told at the very last minute that I could not use certain sites for an externship. The first externship coordinator that I had did next to nothing to help me. However, the second coordinator worked her butt off to help me secure a site. She actually gave a damn. However, when I did secure a site it was in the third week of the damn course teamed with the fact that the damn externship was 30 miles away round trip. Therefore, I am spending 80-100 bucks a week in gas and putting wear and tear on my car trying to get my externship hours. Again, I am coming out of money and no one is going to reimburse me for my gas but they have the gall and nerve to hold my refund check hostage and tell me that I am the bad person for inquiring about MY OWN money. Are you serious??
    Oh and finally yet, importantly, they switched the graduation date of the ceremony by a week and did not have the decency or the tact to apologize or give an explanation as to why this was done. The e-mail, in a nutshell, went like this “we switched the date of your graduation ceremony can you still attend?” They did not give a thought that some students might be from out of town and have made plans and reservations to attend on the initial date. That crap was so unprofessional and inconsiderate.
    I have totally had it with this bootleg establishment posing as a college. I was enrolled in the bachelors program but after this last debacle with my refund check, I have since ditched this school for a more reputable one. Messing with MY money and making me miss an opportunity to walk across the stage was the last straw for me. Anyone considering this school, either online or otherwise, should avoid it as if it was an STD!!

• Fo
      24th of Aug, 2011

I have to agree with the majority of the posts. As a former employee, I can say that the leadership and management are the problems. The employees simply do as they are told. Take a look at this site and share your stories... there are folks out there that are listening and ready to make a difference!

• De
      30th of Aug, 2011

I used to defend VC but now I have fallen victim. I have just graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice. I'm also a military spouse who was promised $180.00 per credit hour rate with our discount. I enrolled in 2007 and my tuition should not change since I remained in full time status and never took time off. However, after reviewing my loan documents I see that I now owe $42, 000 in student loans. My degree was 180 credit hours times $180.00 per credit. I also qualified for pell grants and they never disclosed how much I received or what they used it for. i did receive several checks during my college experience of around $7000 approximately. However, this math does not add up at all!!! I'm currently opening a claim of tuition fraud against this college with my loan company. I tried to resolve the matter with the college but they kept passing me around. Save your money and go elsewhere!

• Mo
      12th of Sep, 2011

i feel everyone's comments here, please contact me so that I can join a law suit please.

• Ne
      25th of Jan, 2012

I have been a student since May 2010 at Vc Birmingham, I have had a problem getting the funds. They keep telling me 6 weeks which end up being 6 months or more. I was told in December that I was approved for a student loan, then on Jan 24, 2012 I was told that I was denied. They did not even call they sent me a email at the end of their business day. I cranked out a email to the person that I have been going through, wanting to speak to the person that is actually in charge of the financial aid department. I have been on the deans list twice and the presidents list once and yet they feel we do not qualify for living expenses. I applied for this loan 4 months ago on line, and yet nothing. I am taking it to my family attorney on Jan 25, 2012, I love litigation and can't wait for my attorney to go after them.

• Ka
      2nd of Feb, 2012

I want financial aid reinbursement ...they are ripping me off they are not a credited schools and this is fraud there keeping all my financial aid that's more that my school I'm contacting the better bussiness bereau.

• Pi
      29th of Apr, 2012

I AGREE. I LIVE IN NC WHERE THEY DO NOT OFFER THE HEALTHCARE REIMBURSEMENT PROGRAM ONLINE. BUT GUESS WHAT THEY GOT ME FOR AROUND 30, 000. I TO WANT A REIMBURSEMENT MADE BACK TO PAY FOR MY LOANS THEY FRAUDED ME OUT OF. THEY ARE RIP OFFS AND SOMETHING SHOULD BE DONE ABOUT IT.

• Pi
      29th of Apr, 2012

IN 2008 I STARTED VCONLINE IN THE HEALTHCARE REIMBURSEMENT PROGRAM. I WAS EXCITED. COME TO FIND OUT THEY DO NOT EVEN OFFER THE PROGRAM IN NC. I ACCIDENTALLY CAME ACROSS THIS INFORMATION ON THEIR WEBSITE. THEY GOT ME FOR ALMOST 30, 000 BECAUSE THIS WAS A 2 YEAR PROGRAM TO RECEIVE MY ASSOCIATES DEGREE. WELL I HAVE CONTACTED DIRECT LOANS TO FILE A COMPLAINT. HOPEFULLY SOMETHING GOOD WILL COME OUT OF THIS. VC ONLINE IS FRAUD.

5th of Jun, 2012

You get what you pay for... in this case you paid for something that is not worth the paper it is written on.

5th of Jun, 2012

So you are paying $35, 000+ for someone to give you a worthless piece of paper that says you can work for $10 bucks an hours running down insurance claims... what a joke. If you are smart, (going to VC is not an indication that you are smart) you can get better training on the job in a physician's office. Yet, you people are borrowing money left and right to give to get something that is laughed at on your resume...

17th of Aug, 2012

As far as the Pensacola campus goes, every single student I have spoken with has negative things to say about the Financial Aid department. We have excellent teachers but Financial Aid does not return phone calls, and they will tell you that your funding plan has been accepted and then 3 months later you will find out that someone made a mistake on the computer and you have to reapply for your loan all over again.
    If you get upset in any way because someone lied to you and you were waiting on money, Financial Aid advisors get rude additudes and pass you off to one person after the next. No one seems to know what is going on around there.
    Also, I had a family emergency and when my Husband called the school the new receptionist told him that she "had no way of trying to contact me." He knew what class I was in, and she simply gave him an attitude and refused to help out. It would have taken her 5 minutes to find the security officer and tell him what class I was sitting in.
    Oh, and every single semester I have been at this college I have been missing books the first 2 weeks of class.
    And then if you ask anyone to make copies of another students text book, again, nothing but rude attitudes.
    Unless you have family paying your way through school and you do not have to work a job or raise your children and you are ready to deal with plenty of inconveniences, I don't recommend enrolling.

17th of Aug, 2012

Some of us who attend the school are there because we did not have any other options.
    I don't feel it's right to insult anyone and say "well, you deserved it."
    I was dropped from internet classes at the only other local college here because I lost my home and I was unable to attend my online classes.
    The registrars office told me that unless I had a medical excuse, I was not going to be able to be excused.
    Because of that, I am in debt to the college and I could not go back until I paid off the 3 classes I was dropped from, and then I would have to pay out of pocket tuition and my first semester of classes until I would be able to use a pell grant and financial aid again.
    Some of us are just trying to better ourselves. No one deserves the crappy attitudes.

• Ac
      27th of Nov, 2012

YEP, I was lured into this SCAM! Just when you think it wouldn't happen to you.. Went for the RN program, was told by a rep from state board, ..."Ma'am you would need to attend an accredited college before you take your state board..." WHAT?! then when i expressed this to VC, 'oh, we are accredited, just try again.' Really?? Really? THEN, like a dummy i call myself changing my major, (oh yeah i was on "The Dean's List") Had made all A's and B's, found out my student loan was made for more than i REQUESTED, [now stuck paying those back] and i "reached my loan max and was unable to take out any more SL". SO when i realized i should have went to a norm college, All those Pretty A's and Fancy B's were laugh at by Lawson State CC, Jeff State CC, Miles' College, University of Ala @ B'ham and University Of Alabama, and Birmingham Southern. Just when i thought i was a "Junior in College" (60 + credits) I'm stuck back at square one :( Lucky i went to Jacksonville State University (Ala) when i graduated H/S and left there as a Sophomore... So I'm OK... i guess, still have another two years till i graduated though. THNAKS VIRGINIA COLLEGE for the LIES. yeah you all are accredited, accredited in LIES! for Those here in Birmingham> Anyone ever notice that VC of Birmingham employees are graduates of VC... ijs... dOt doT Dot.

• Ir
      5th of Dec, 2012

I am about to graduate with an Associates degree in CRJ from Virginia College and I want to further my Education, but I found out today that my credits or my degree do not transfer to any regional accredited school. I would join a law suit if one exists. Virginia College always eluded the questions of transferring credits, I got generalized answers like sure our credits transfer, but they only do to ITT Tech and similar colleges.

• Ca
      18th of Jun, 2013

I'm currently a student at VCO in my third semester, i haven't rally ran into any major problems yet, but the only concern I have is that I'm not wasting my time and money. I did some research before hand and everything seemed kosher, but after reading everyone's comments I'm a tad bit worried. I'm currently pursuing my Bachelors Degree and I don't want to be stuck with a effen piece of paper I can't use, I already have one of those. Should I continue or drop while I still have the time?

• Br
      10th of Jul, 2013

I went to Virginia college in Chattanooga Tennessee was in the pharmacy went through all the class and was doing my extern.my site was 30 mins away but I was getting the hours done they let me take my finals to finish up school and two days later they kicked me out after school was out because they said I lied about my hours . I had no reason to lie about my hours the pharmacist had signed the paper as me being at the site one of the days I was in class and the dean didn't believe me but said if I lied and said I was not there then I could have redone my extern. but since I stuck to my story they kicked me out... im trying to fight this because I have heard this from some other people and they are not getting my money.

• La
      8th of Aug, 2013

Please listen carefully to most of what is being said on this forum because Virginia College should be ashamed of themselves, and I can't believe the Federal Government is allowing schools like this to misappropriate title IV funding. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have chosen this school for my worst enemy. It's easy for someone to say that "you should have done your homework" but if you don't know something, don't have all the information, and you are being misinformed or blatantly lied to then how will you know any better. What people don't understand is that schools like this prey on certain types of people, and even though I am a strong-minded person, they got me as well.

First of all, I am not a traditional college student, I am a GED recipient, and also a first time college student, so when I decided to go back to school after years in the workforce and being laid off my job for a year, I really didn't understand anything about college. I didn't know enough about credits, what prices were fair, nor what was overcharging, so it was real easy for me not to understand that I was being robbed at the time. I had a hunger to go to school and get training so I could get a better job, and everyone knows they have lots of enticing commercials, so I thought I was doing the right thing for my future. Now, I've had people to degrade and talk trash about me because I made a mistake, but nobody knows everything all the time, so I don't think I was stupid...just taken advantage of! I started off in the HealthCare Reimbursement Associates Degree program which was about $32, 000 dollars total (again not knowing this was ridiculous) but after almost a year of that I decided that it really wasn't challenging enough, that I loved how the human body works, so I went for a more hands-on medical position. I did everything possible to get into the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program which was about $45, 000 dollars (the prices get higher and higher). Again, I just wanted to get my education, so I'm thinking this is a better opportunity for me to get a higher salary and help people at the same time. After jumping through all their hoops, they did not want me for the program, and I still have my suspicions why because I was an "A" student...I digress!

After that, I went directly to the President of the College and she contacted the Dean who overturned the decision that was made, so that branded me as a troublemaker (for fighting for what I thought I deserved). At this point in my education they have already taken me for almost $18, 000 dollars, and I am still ignoring these horror stories people keep on telling me because I still believe the hype, the teachers and administration are still lying to the students, and all I see is my determination not to give up or fail again at school like I had in the past . I didn't want to give people the satisfaction of saying that they knew I wouldn't finish this either because I didn't finish the first time around. I also wanted to have a successful career in something beyond minimum wage because I had decided that my life was worth more than what I had been getting, and I deserved better because I could do better, and I was going to be better than I was in the past because I wanted a better life for myself...period!

I become pregnant in the midst of all this, so I had to go on bed rest for a week because I was threatening a miscarriage, and during that time they told me that the government had implemented a 14-day rule that included weekends and holidays stating that if a student misses classes for a whole week, but can't post attendance for all classes the next week, that person will be administratively withdrawn from the school (kicked out) which I found out later on is a bunch of hooey. They kicked me out of school, and then had the nerve to tell me that I could re-enroll and go through the whole process again. By then, I have had nothing but time to lie around and think...think...think! I started doing more and more searches and calling around to other schools to see if anyone else would accept those credits because I fully intended to return to school, but I was tired of this school taking all of my money giving back shabby refund checks while they pocketed thousands of dollars between all my loans (they had the sub/unsub loans both at the maximum at the same time) and my Pell grants, and I had nothing to show for it but debt. During that time, I found out that no other school would accept those credits, and all of them pretty much said the same thing; I would have to come in as a freshman and work my way back up (basically start all the way over from the beginning). I felt very defeated at this point because my dreams were getting further and further away from me. I have always wanted to go to the University of Alabama at Birmingham or Xavier University in Louisiana to get my Bachelor's Degree because I knew an Associates was not going to be enough to compete for the better paying jobs.

I did manage to get one transcript out just in time while my account was still in the clear before they generated and sent me another bill for $200 more dollars. These people are unbelievable, they kicked me out, they robbed me of my money, precious time, and future, and they had the nerve to turn around and send me another bill after that. At any rate, I transferred to Jefferson State Community College and it was one of the best decisions that I have ever made because I have learned so much since I have been there, and now I know the real truth about credits and tuition fees. Starting with the fact that Virginia College has some of those classes trumped up to as much a 6 credits for one class, so they can charge double for what they should be charging for one class which is still too high considering the fact that they are charging $400 to $500 dollars per credit hour. I've learned that my quality of education is better because the teachers at Jeff State know their stuff instead of being former students like a lot of Virginia College teachers are. My tuition is awesomely cheap, so now I get to enjoy much more of my refund, and I am able to get the things I need for school. I was finally able to get my own computer for classes, and purchase all my own books instead of being stuck the with tons of old outdated books that you never even use that VC gives you which is supposed to be included in your tuition along with your uniforms. I am now in a University transfer program to the University of Alabama at Birmingham working towards my Bachelor's in Respiratory Therapy/Cardiopulmonary Science, and I will be transferring to UAB as a Junior having gotten my first 60 credits at the Community College and my last 60 credits with them. Now, I am living my dream, but I will never get back that time that was wasted because it has taken me hard work and a long time to catch up. I have been on the Dean's List three times, and I am apart of the Sigma Kappa Delta National English Honor Society. I also write for Jefferson State's own literary publication and SKD's newsletter. I always believed in myself, and I am telling my story just in case it helps anyone to know that you can bounce back despite being a victim of the Virginia College scam. Don't just feel sorry for yourself because I didn't. I've taken that experience on the chin, and moved on to bigger and better opportunity because I refused to let those thieves break my spirit.

The problem that I face with Virginia College now is that I was going to leave quietly, but these people refuse to give me my transcript until the balance is paid, and I can't transfer to UAB without all my transcripts, so I have decided to sue them. Not to be vengeful, but because they need to know that you just can't do this to people and get away with, and still try to extort extra money out of people by with-holding what they have worked for. I am only one of the champions who have waged war in this fight against Virginia College, so please follow suit people, and they will have to either shut down, or do right by the students that are currently there, or already graduated, by getting the accreditations that they need, so that the people who have invested their time and money can have more than just worthless credits and worthless degrees. Please contact: Aylstock, Whitkin. Kreis, & Overholtz at 1-888-255-AWKO (2956).

Best of luck to everyone!

24th of Nov, 2013

Well I too have a similar complaint. When I first inquired about going back to school I checked on VC here in Biloxi and right away I had a lot of trouble with financial aid bc no one knew what was ever going on bc there were so many hands in my acct that no one knew what was going on. Instead of the lady walking me though the process she told me to go home and make the corrections myself. Ive never went to college and I had no idea what I was doing. I had to drive there to make changes that only took 2 mins to do and put miles and miles on my vehicle. I dropped out and ive inquired elsewhere bc they don't know what the hell they are doing.

28th of Apr, 2014

4 years of complaints here, that's pretty bad and the business is still making money. Of course there is not a lot of complaints compared to the amount of students that attend the school but most probably don't think of complaining because what good would it do. My daughter went here in Mobile, AL.. and found it to be almost totally black, which I have read plenty of complaints of them targeting blacks because so many can qualify for grants, but the biggest problem seems to be racism. She was accused of saying things to other teachers and students when confronted about, the story changed and everything disappeared. Teachers regularly don't show up for classes. White students will get accused of things to get them out. My daughter got kicked out of her internship with no accuser confronting her or any witnesses coming before her. Just out and now she owes the money and would have to sign up for another term to get back in to finish. Well, this one is going all the way to court. We are contacting a lawyer that I know very well and are taking this into court because it also involves a local Hospital here in Mobile which will be named in the law suite also. They may have picked on the wrong white girl this time.

• Dk
      12th of Jul, 2014

I too had enrolled in Virginia College online. I went there for four and a half years and shy of four classes to earn my bachelors degree in health reimbursement. This college and ride for the last four years has been a nightmare. They are not regionally credited school and I had spoke to them several times concerning this issue. All they could tell me is they are nationally accredited which is not worth nothing. I have contacted several schools and universities in my area and all theses schools does not consider Virginia College being a well respected school. So this leaves me 56, 000 in debt and wasted four years of my life on a degree I could never use. I contacted the BBB in Alabama and filed a complaint. The school refused to make thing right. I am currently seeking legal advice for a possible lawsuit against Virginia College. I feel that all student who have been ripped off this so called college should file a action suit against the college and closed the door to this school for good. I had recently received a letter from a attorney in South Carolina saying that I owed the school $1540 dollars . Evidently that is a charge aside from the $1178 dollars they claim I owe. Sense they charge 1540 dollars per class, they must of charge me for a class I did not even take. This is fraud! Please!, Anyone looking to further there education please do not enroll in Virginia College. Like many of us as well as the seven nursing student form Mississippi who had to sue the school for non accreditation in the state of Mississippi. The student were suing for 14 million dollars and I sure hope they were awarded every penny and more.

• Ba
      19th of Oct, 2014

EVERY negative comment made on this page with regards to Virginia College is 100% true! Stay away from this unaccredited diploma mill.