Vatterott College / Lies, overcost, and more lies

1 Oklahoma City, OK, United States Review updated:

I am a student at Vatterott College, the Oklahoma City campus. Where to begin?! They have yet to do a thing they said they would. I was told I'd learn everything I needed to know, that I would recieve excellent quality in education, and that I would recieve an externship. Sounded great so I enrolled. I'm currently in my 5th phase of 6 phases. After my 6th phase, I am to obtain my Medical Assisting Diploma. Good for me right? Wrong.
I'm about to have my diploma and I just recently found out that I will NOT learn how to draw blood, I will NOT recieve an externship, and the only way I will recieve these things is if I take out ANOTHER loan (a $10, 000 loan) and stay for an extra 3 phases (30 weeks) to get an Associates in Medical Assisting- not what they told me AT ALL. So, if I don't want to take out another loan(on top of the $20, 000 loan I took out for the first 6) I will be forced to go look for a job without an externship, and if I'm lucky enough to even get a job, THEY will have to teach me how to draw blood and all the other procedures I will need to do.
This school has completely ripped me off! In the meantime, I'm still here. Trying to make it to school everyday, and do all my work knowing it will get me nowhere. The only reason I feel obligated to obtain the useless diploma is because I paid 20 G! So might as well have SOMETHING to show for it.
90 hours of lecture time? More like 90 hours of Facebook time! Externship? Oh yeah, for an extra 10 G on top of the first 20.
This school is such a joke.
Sitting at Vatterott writing this complaint, and my teacher is sitting right next to me.
Yes, this school is a joke. I am DISGUSTED.
This is the worst mistake of my life.

Comments

• He
      1st of Dec, 2010

OH YES! DID I MENTION- everyone else I know who went to school for medical assisting completed there work in about 7 months (that includes the externship guys!).
    I've been here a year :)
    That's right, a year!

6th of May, 2011

I also went to vatterott at a different location. I just went throught the first six phases. I did learn how to draw blood, give injections, etc but bc our school has such a bad reputation, i can't get hired. I was a valedictorian and passed my certification . It would have been nice if someone would have told me to just get a cna license for $300 and i could've started making the same amount of money. I am now 20k in debt and have to start paying my loans next month. i wish there was a lawsuit I could file against them but i'm not sure how to get started. I'm just upset bc they targeted me. They knew i was feeling bad about myself, they knew i wanted to better myself, all they care about is getting the money and they get bonuses for every student they get to come there that's why they call you if you miss a couple days they don't really care.

• Fe
      1st of Jun, 2011

I'll tell you how to pick a school.

1) First eliminate any school that advertises on radio or TV. They want money, most of the time they are for profit institutions and most of the time the education is crap.

2) Second if the school is not under the scrutiny of the State Board of Regents stay away.

3) Third call five other school and ask if they accept credits from the school you are considering.

4) Check the Better Business Bureau and if the school has ever had a complaint, even if it was resolved, do not go to the school. Again, in order to have BBB complaints the school is a business and not a state sanctioned school.

Never ever ever consider any career school. In the USA career school is just synonymous with cash cow operation and it is all about money - NOT EDUCATION.

If it sounds good, easy or quick you better think long and hard because there is no magical pill to getting quality education. Don't be suckers people these career institutions are junk science pure and simple.