USBI / Fraud and cheating

I don't carry long distance service on my house phone choosing to use my cell phone instead. The land line is merely a convenience for the computer or local business calls. In my December 2008 bill I was surprised to see a charge from Flat Rate Long Distance for Miscellaneous charges. I phoned the number provided by USBI for billing inquiries [protected] and was then automatically redirected to Flat Rate Long Distance [protected] where the line just rang and placed me on indefinite hold. I was then furious because I knew it was a scam because no one was answering the number provided by the company. I called my phone provider Embarq and was able to dispute the charge and pay only what was due of my actual bill. In reviewing my bills I then found the same charge occurred in November. I again phoned my local provider who filed another dispute and this time also placed a Third Party Billing Block on my line. I will also be filing a report with my State Attorney as suggested by Randy who was also scammed by the same company and a BBB report against USBI.

N  9th of Jan, 2009 by
We received a phone call from a Chris Carpenter in October and I quote 'hi this is Chris Carpenter with AT&T and we have some great new plans to reduce your local and long distance bills.'

I explained that we already had a plan with AT&T that could not be changed or we would loose the discounts that we had as it is a packaged plan for small business accounts. He said that he understood but he wanted to ask me some questions that required yes and no answers. He then proceeded to ask me questions so fast that you could not even understand what he was saying. I stopped him several times with questions and he kept saying that he was with AT&T and that this would not change our bill. He Lied

After I hung up with this Chris I immediately tried to call him back at the number he had given me but of course no one would answer the line. I immediately called AT&T and had them put a block on our billing account in case they tried to switch anything. Well we received our bill today and we had been slammed for $115.77 and it was going to change our plan so that we would have lost all of our discounts.

The person at AT&T is being very helpful at getting this problem resolved and our company is going to file a complaint with the Government against USBI. I have already called USBI and told them that we are not paying this bill.

This little incident almost cost me my job today and so yes I am extremely upset. Companies like this need to be prosecuted for lying and closed down.
A  20th of Aug, 2009 by
I am furious because I am just another victim of this scam.

On June 25, 2009, someone from SILV Communication called and said she was from AT&T. She said they had a better plan than what I was having with AT&T (she knew exactly what I was paying under the AT&T plan for local and long distance). I said since she's with AT&T why couldn't they just go ahead to make adjustment to my existing plan; she said it was the procedure they had to take...

During the conversation, I repeatedly asked her if this was some kind of switch-of-account scam, she assured me "no; it is the same company (At&T)" . When I asked for her telephone she gave me 800-222-0400. As soon as I hang up with her, I called that number: it was an At&T number.

Yesterday, I received my AT&T bill and it included one separate bill from USBI (billing on behalf of SILV Communication). Not only was I billed by SILV Communication, I had to pay an "early termination fee" of $87.67 and $95.00 for long distance (it was $10.00 flat before) from AT&T.

Today, I called AT&T and talked two customer service representatives for over two hours. They were very helpful to get things straightened out. But I have to watch for another one or two billing cycles to see if USBI/SILV has in fact taken my number out of their list.

I also checked the BBB ratings of USBI and SILV Communication. Both have "F" the lowest.

Be careful! There are thieves out there!
A  24th of Mar, 2010 by
OMG, just had the same thing happen to me. I am paying 17.82 per month for at least 4 month and ATT says they dont know what company USBI is (how can it be on their bill and they not know what that is) and that I need to check my monthly statement (and they are not responsible for my phone bill being hijacked) WHAT?????
A  13th of Oct, 2010 by
I'm the same here I notice my statement USBI with the phone number listed. I contacted AT&T ask the customer service what is this long distance charge? I do not have long distance with my landline I perfer my long distance with my cell phone. What's surprising the customer service rep could not explain this, which at this point I am anger with USBI and AT&T, I did not or have not authorize this bogus company to charge this to my account...

Something has to STOP!!! I'm reporting this company to the Better Business Bureau asap!!!
A  11th of Jul, 2011 by
I had the same experience at work. After many calls and lies, I am unaware of any recourse. However, you can contact your primary carrier and have an outside carrier block put on your phone as well as pic order requiring verbal authorization from you with your primary carrier for ANY changes made to your account before they are inacted.
Sorry to hear of your trouble - you are not the only one. I just wish there was a way to make these companies accountable.
N  25th of Aug, 2016 by

I what was not keeping close enough tabs on my phone bill . and the first thing I knew I was paying for a long distance carrier. usbi . I had no use for them I'm already paying unlim ited minutes through windstream . but they say they called that number of mine and sumbody answered and said that it would be okay to add their service . so maybe they have me. maybe 1 of my guys answered the phone and said yeah sounds good . So is that all the security we have .
So my kids can pick up the phone and say yes sir . We want your service .
I'm a christian I'm not going to fight over a few 100 dollars .but don't get trapped in the same predicament I'm in .