USA Collections/United Reader Services / USA Collections/United Reader Services

1 IL, United States Review updated:

I recieved a rather rud phone call from USA Collections on behalf of United Reader Services. The collections person "John Stinton" stated that they are calling to collect on an account I supposedly opend with United Reader Services on July of 2006 for magazines on a credit card of min. I try exmplaining to him that I did not open such an account and that there has never been a charge on this card of mine for this alleged account. Of coarse he starts telling me I am reasponsible and getting rude. I explain that I have statements showing no such charges on this account. Of coarse I request his phone number so that I can gather all of my statements for that year proving I did not open an account. The number he gave me is of coarse not to his company. He did threaten that if I don't pay he will have to report it affecting my credit score. I was hoping that if anyone has dealt with this company if they could provide me with any insight that they may have on how they may have resolved their problem. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sh

Comments

15th of Dec, 2009

I have been getting phone calls from USA Collection Agency for about 3 weeks. They told me that I owe United Reader Services $1500 for unpaid magazine subscriptions from 2006. They told me they were willing to settle for $499. I told them that I could not pay because i was unemployed, I then asked if they could send me a bill or invoice and I will try to see if I could scrounge up the cash. They said I could only pay over the phone. I said no. They told me that the next thing I would be receiving in the mail would be a subpoena to appear in small claims court.

I hung up and looked up United Reader Services. I called the customer service (888-369-7323). They told me they had no record of me or any of my home phone numbers. I told them about USA Collection Agency and they said they have gotten several other complaints about that company. They also said that they have no relationship with that company and that I should ignore those phone calls.

I have gone to ftccomplaintassistant.gov and filed a complaint against USA Collection Agency, unfortunately I did not get any of their info like address or phone number.

If you get a call from USA Collection Agency you should definitely file a complaint to the FTC and your State Attorney General. But first try to get their company info like address and phone number.