Unlimited Vacation Club/AMResorts / vacation club scam

78 Apr 05, 2016 Review updated:
Phone: 877-923-2582

I’m writing this with the hope that it will save at least one person/family from the negative hardship that has happened to me. I visited Mexico the first week in March (2016) with my daughter. Immediately upon getting our rental car from the Hertz rental place I was approached by a salesman (unknown to me at that time, I thought he worked at the car rental) who told me that I could save $120 off of my rental and also would receive free tickets to visit the ruins in Tulum (a saving of $120Pesos). All I had to do was visit Secrets Maroma in Playa del Carmen by 10:00, enjoy a free breakfast and sit through a presentation for a total of 90 minutes. I was told it was not a timeshare and I was not going to be pressured into buying anything. We were late because we were up all night partying on the beach and I was still a little intoxicated, it’s Mexico after all. Upon arriving we were taken inside the entrance of the hotel where we met a lady named Monica. We were escorted into the hotel to a side table where she asked a series of questions about the cost of our current vacation and the amount of money we made – our first red flag. Then we were brought to another area where we met a girl named Paola MJ (she’s on facebook). She escorted us to the breakfast bar where we were able to get a little food (it was closing) and then she asked us a lot of questions about the cost of our vacation, how much we spend on vacation every year and the amount of money I make. After we finished we were taken around the hotel grounds to see what it had to “offer”. We were told over and over again that everything was included with the stay – all drinks, meals, etc. and that if we were members we would get special treatment and discounted prices on everything. We were then brought into an office where we were told to sit at a table and someone would be with us shortly. Another gentleman by the name of Mustaffa joined us (here is his phone number [protected]) and immediately started asking questions about the money we made and what we spend on vacations. He started to try and sell us these extremely expensive packages that they called a vacation club rather than a time share – clever. He kept telling us about his personal stories about coming to Mexico to sell vacations and that his family is jealous of him and wishes they were there to enjoy it, etc. He also went on to saying that all these celebrities stay at the Zoetry resorts and if we bought into that we would see famous people as if that was going to convince us to buy into it. I told him I was sort of interested in coming back but that the cost was out of my price range being that I am on a limited income. After about an hour of trying to get us to buy the most expensive he decided to start ‘negotiating” other options. He offered all these options that did sound appealing at first. He told us that I could join for $7000 that would be billed over multiple years and then I would be charged roughly $130 a year. This would allow us access for 10 years to unlimited booking that my entire family could use for up to 20 rooms at a time and that we would all get free upgrades. That was a lie. He continued to tell us that if we joined we would get exclusive membership rates and would be able to visit that resort again in the future at a rate of just under $1500 a week for two people. This was a lie. He said he would through in two free VIP weeks for no more than $1500. That was a lie. He told me I would have two years and 30 weeks at the RCI resorts around the world and I would only have to pay $499 a week. That was a lie not one of them offer anything at that rate and require you to exchange multiple weeks to get that rate. We even talked to RCI about this and the program they explained is completely different than what Mustaffa explained. He repeatedly told us over and over again, crunched numbers on a calculator and told us that was what it would cost us if we came back to Secrets Maroma. He must have practiced the numbers to enter into the calculator, scammers do that. We asked about other locations and what those would cost a family of 5 (two adults and three kids) and he wasn’t able to come up with accurate numbers because he said the rates were different and he could only quote us on Secrets Maroma. He told us that we would also be granted a price difference if we were able to find it cheaper on another site and showed us a list of the sites that they would price match. He said that we could look them up right now on the internet. We tried and magically the wireless didn’t work. I told him I would like to take a moment to step out and make a couple phone calls and he said that if we left that room the offer was off the table and we would not qualify. At this point I was ready to walk away from the entire thing and they started telling us that we should at least see if I qualified for the credit card to see if I could get approved for any part of the financing and that I could use the credit card for other purchases regardless if we signed up that day or not and that I would earn travel rewards and points toward other vacations. I told him I would agree to that as long as I was not obligated. This was a lie. The paperwork they had me sign was also for the vacation club – which was not what I agreed to. He walked away to check and see if I was approved and after he returned he said I was approved and that the down payment and closing costs had been charged to the card and we were all set to go, that I would not have to make payments for 60 days and that there was no interest for 6 months. I told him that wasn’t ok since I had not agreed to purchase anything. He continued to say we could start using the membership immediately and that the next time we could stay at Secrets for $1400 for two people. I told him I wanted to cancel the membership immediately and he said that was not an option because I signed the agreement and it was already charged to the card. I should have kept fighting right there but they had all my paperwork and would not return it. I told him that I wanted this all in writing what he promised/quoted me on and wanted to see where it said that the contract was not able to be terminated. He said that was not an issue and it would be in the paperwork once I got it in the mail. I was told that I would have copies of everything and that it would also be mailed and sent to me via email. This was a lie. After all of this they pushed us out the door like we were nothing. After arriving back at our hotel we looked over everything closely and noticed that we had 5 days to cancel, against what they had previously told me. The next day we went back to the resort to go through those steps and they told us it was not an option. We told them we wanted it in writing that we couldn’t cancel and they again said that wasn’t an option. We said we wanted it in writing that we were promised these different items and the quotes Mustaffa gave us to stay there and they said that wasn’t possible. I asked to speak with Mustaffa and they said he was in a meeting and would get him. Once he got into the office we told him we wanted to cancel and he said that’s not an option. We told them to show us in the paper work where the language was that told us the membership (that we were basically illegally forced into) gave us unlimited access to bookings and the locations we could visit that we were promised and they were not able to show us. We told them again we were not comfortable with this and wanted to cancel and they said that was not an option and we were locked in. This was all a lie and if I would have known that we did have more rights then they said we did I would have made a big scene right then and there. That was my fault. We left that day very scared, afraid, disappointed and shocked that we were taking advantage of. You would think that Mexico would want to take care of their tourists since it is what makes up most of the revenue that goes into that country. Mustaffa and Paola even said those exact words – so why are they in a business that screws over tourists?!?! After our return to the US we consulted with an attorney who told us that we did in fact have 5 days to cancel but that it was too late. I immediately canceled the card and sent certified letters explaining my story. RCI called immediately and started walking me through the steps to cancel it and make a claim for fraudulent charges, which I am still dealing with. Then I called and notified UVC that I did not agree to the membership and spoke to Ariel who told me they would forward my call to the right person and I could expect a return call in 48 hours. This was a lie. I did not hear from anyone. I called after 48 hours and was referred to a Sandra and they sent me to another ext. I asked for a Sandra who told me that my issue was given a claim number. Sandra said I needed to contact Ivonne Speulveda, her number is [protected] Ext 172, the address is Quality Assurance UVC; Ave.Tulum No 269 L2-03 Mza 3 SM 15A; Cancun, Q. Roo. Mexico 77500 and her email is [protected]@unlimitedvc.com. (I’m leaving that message in case anyone else comes across that name) When I called Ivonne she told me I wasn’t able to cancel. I told her I did not agree to the charges or buying into the time share and that they lied to me. She said it was “too bad” and said in order for me to get out of the contract I had to pay for half of the costs. I explained to Ivonne that I was falsely led to believe that I was applying for a card to see if I could qualify but that they charged the fees to it before even telling me I was approved. Her response, word for word was that “No one forced you and put a gun to your head. No one held your hand when you signed the application for the card. No one made you sit through the presentation. No one made you join”. Who says those things!?! That alone is unprofessional and absolutely disgusting to say!. When I told her that was not true and that they did force me into joining by charging the card she responded “can you prove it”. I told her I went back the next day with my daughter to cancel and she responded again “can you prove it. Can you prove that you were there”. I asked her to check the cameras they had on the ceiling and she said that is wasn’t possible. At that point I was so upset that I hung up the phone. She then sent an email that showed the credit card agreement with my initials (that I signed because I was told I was getting approved for a card that would earn me travel points and discounts, not that they were going to bill me on it automatically). The email said she would be willing to lower the interest rate from 9% to 3% if I would keep the membership. She said she would also throw in a week of VIP to use as per certificate (remember now, I was already promised two weeks but nowhere does it say that it’s part of the plan they forced me into). She said if I didn’t keep the membership I would have to pay $1625.00 to get out of the contract. I assume that is in addition to the $2000+ they charged my card without my permission.
At this time I have decided to take it upon myself to send this review to every social media site that I can find to try and warn people that this is a company they should stay away from. Do not fall for their lies and false promises. They will do whatever necessary to try and lock you into a contract and then tell you that you are not able to get out of it. They are scammers and should be shut down. I don’t care if there are a few people out there who like UVC – prove to me that you are a real person and not some agent/employee of UVC that is only out there trying to convince others that the company is legit. If I go on TripAdvisor, Facebook, Google Review, etc. and the majority of the reviews are negative (I would say 9 out of 10) it tells me that this is not a company anyone should be involved in. BEWARE of Unlimited Vacations Club. BEWARE of AM Resorts. BEWARE of RCI when they are affiliated with UVC-AM Resorts. Save yourself the time, money and hassle and stay away! Do not even go to the presentation, they will do whatever they force you into the club. It’s not worth the rental car savings or the free attraction passes – it’s not worth the headache and waste of a day. STAY AWAY from them!
Here is the contact information I received two weeks after I was forced into the contract. They do whatever they can to make sure you do not have the option to cancel.
Mailing Address: 9450 Sunset Drive Miami, FL 33173
Secrets Maroma
Customer Service Department
US & Canada - 1877-923-CLUB / Mexico - [protected]
[protected]@globalbureau.com

Comments

• Da
      Jul 18, 2016

Whatever came out of your dispute? We were recently treated the same exact way but for $20, 000. We have canceled our credit card and have my bank and possibly an attorney looking into this SCAM

• Ia
      Aug 24, 2016

Nothing all you get is excuse after excuse as to what happens there. We sort of accepted the fact that they are scam artists and we will just suffer through until we get our values worth. Their big problem is their sales people are not very well educated and the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing despite all their hoopla. Our problem goes back to last November in Puerto Vallarta with Dawn and then in Curacao with pablo who promised the world and then the next day said he couldn't do it because head office didn't approve it.