University of Phoenix / financial aid rip-off

8830 Stanford BLVDColumbia, MD, United States Review updated:
3.75
Phone: 410 872-0326

When I enrolled at the University of Phoenix back in August of 2005, I then thoufh that it was the right college for me since I was working full time. Situations started to get shaky about a year later when I started receiving bills from the school. I let my financial aid advisor Betty Hamm know why was I receiving statements. She then told me that I didn't apply for my fianacial aid in time in which I did which was in April 2006 a week before the deadline. Mrs. Hamm said the she would look into it. A month had almost past and she then stated that I had to start paying on the bill out of my pocket. I was wondering on why and how I had to pay for this when financial aid is supposed to be taking care of it. She explained to me that I had to start paying for it in order to get more financial aid. I think that wasn't fair at all for me especially since I didn't make much at my job.
Dm

Comments

Ex
  23rd of Oct, 2008
I agree! What a ripoff - I obtained my MBA/HRM from there due to health reasons, even went on to start my PhD - decided I did not have the time for the class, within the first few days - my academic advisor jim t. told me to stay in the class and financial aid would pick it up and then it would all be rolled into my current loan and deferred. So I did NOT drop the class, I passed it with an A- and then got slammed with a 900+ $ bill and they want to take me to court - if I had dropped when I wanted to, I would have owed a fraction of that! I recently lost a wonderful job opportunity because they will not release my transcripts from my MBA and actually told the employer I had "unfinished financial obligations".. looks wonderful eh? Lame.
Az
  30th of Oct, 2008
Tamra - speak with an attorney about this. Sounds funny to me too. Esp. the part where they won't release your transcripts.

As I have learned - read the fine print first, and don't let them hurry you!! If it's as good as they say, it will still be there in a few days. And if you don't understand something, ASK at least 2 totally different people. If they agree with each other, their answers are probably good advice. Go to your bank when it's not very busy, and ask someone for if they have time to help. Or call your local bar (legal/attorney) association.

Keep asking until you feel you understand what the fine print means.

Best wishes.
Az
  30th of Oct, 2008
PS - Use your computer to find a dictionary - there are all types of them from banking to taxes. Search the Wiki's, search here and other "help me' places.
Un
  2nd of Dec, 2008
I was told that I could apply for Financial Aid. Now they spin it so that I cannot qualify and have to pay. I was doing well in all my classes and had to take a fall out of a class because I was laid off from my job. Now they’re telling me that due to my past grades I cannot qualify! This is not what I was told when I signed up. Since I've started, I've had 20 different so-called Academic Counselors and none of them were straight up with me. I wish I have never signed up with UOP! They are no good money stealing frauds for a so-called college!
Da
  18th of Feb, 2009
I'v taken 4 classes with the college they told me when i startedthatthey would help me aplyand get FASFA...I"was "randomlly chosen for verification" after turningallthe info they asked for (for 4munth) they strung me along i had 3 "A" and 1 "D" when i got the "D" they told me i no longer quolifide for FASFA. now they say I owe $4500 for the classes i took. They will not reales my transgript. now i can not get in to another school with out paying this bill.

University of Phoenix [UOPX] Logo University of Phoenix [UOPX]