[Resolved] UniFirst Corporation / very poor service

United States Review updated:

If you are planning to use Uniclean/Unifirst for your garment services please RUN NOW! We had been a long-term customer of their's for many years. Their contract is very wordy, and there is a lot of fine print. If you think you have a case against them based on your contract; you dont. They will twist that contract as much as they can to make it sound like they are in the right. In addition to contract issues; you will have never ending invoice and inventory problems. You will be overcharged on a weekly basis. Coats will not properly be cleaned and/or replaced. They will falsly charge you weekly for damages and mending charges. If they do charge you for such things; request that all questionable coats be shown to you before they continue with mending and/or replacement of the garment. If you don't manage your weekly invoice; start doing so now. Make sure you check your invoice weekly; monitor your inventory, and make sure your're not being charged falsely for garments.
I cannot stress this enough. If you run into problems; be persistant and stand your ground. Before you sign any contract; make sure you take an hour to sit down with your lawyer. It sounds crazy to have to sit down with a lawyer over a uniform service contract, but trust me, you need to! Unifirst will nickle and dime you to death on a weekly basis; thats how they screw their customers out of a lot of money. They're management team is VERY shady. One person will say one thing and then a week later; they'll tell you something completely different. Unifirst will NEVER admit they are in the wrong; they will always claim the customer is to blame. Every problem that developed with Uniclean/Unifirst was automatically put on us and they claimed that we, the customer, was to blame. In the end; if you want to end your contract, Uniclean/Unifirst will automatically try and go after you with legal proceedings and law suits. If your planning to end your contract; make sure you have documentation of all of your emails/conversations between Unifirst and your company about the problems you've been having. Sit down with your lawyer before you decide to end your contract. Your lawyer will tell you what you are legally required to pay out of the contract and they will help you avoid any issues. If you don't; Uniclean WILL sue you for breach of contract. Sitting down with your lawyer prior to stating to end the contract will put you ahead of them.
If you haven't ended your contract already but want to; go for it. In the end, you will be saving your company a lot of money by year's end even if you have to pay buy-out costs. We switched to a smaller, mom &pop-type uniform company and we are saving our company over 10k in costs by year's end. If you're looking into using Uniclean/Unifirst; i suggest that you quickly bypass them and find someone else. I took over management of our coat inventory and it literally became a full-time job day after day. It shouldn't be the customer's responsibility to manage their coats and the invoices. I'm quite confident that Uniclean/Unifirst does this to the majority, if not all, of their customers judging by what we've found online. We paid Unifirst a lot of money every year to do a decent job and provide us with quality services. Unfortunately; the reality was FAR from quality.

• Resolution statement

• UniFirst Corporation Customer Care's Response, Jan 21, 2013

Top notch service and complete customer satisfaction are priorities at UniFirst. That’s why we have a proprietary closed-loop “Request for Customer Action” system that electronically records and tracks any and all customer concerns that come in through established channels of communications. This system details all actions taken and the “incidents” are not closed until final resolutions have been approved by our customers. By the sound of this posting, it seems our communications did not go according to plan, and we regret that you had a negative experience. As a valued UniFirst customer, please know that if at any time you feel you are not getting the service you expect from us, you are encouraged to contact our corporate Customer Service Team at (800) 455-7654 or email our corporate office at [protected]@unifirst.com

• UniFirst Corporation Customer Care's Response, Jan 24, 2013

If at any time you feel you are not getting the service you expect from us, please contact our corporate Customer Service Team at (800) 455-7654 or email our headquarters at [protected]@unifirst.com

• UniFirst Corporation Customer Care's Response, Jan 24, 2013

UniFirst price increases are only issued when warranted based on increased operational and other costs, and we only implement increases according to the terms of our contractual agreements.

Comments

• Ju
      19th of Jun, 2012

I have to say that I am in complete agreement. The sales rep was great at giving a snow job on the s UniFirst service. I am not one to sign a long term agreement, but she got me with that one. Always thought I was a good judge of character, she could sell ice to a refrigerator company. Been with UniFirst for 9 months, I am terrified just thinking about the balance of this contract. Our account has been a total mess, since the beginning, sizes were incorrect, not enough inventory, excuses left and right. They want to charge to replace items with huge grease spots, which did not happen at our facility. I have spent many, many hours making sure that staff has inventory available to wear, not to mention the mountain of mistakes on invoices, the sleepless nights and night mares UniFirst has brought into my life. They do not proof read any of their orders, and the sales reps are out of site when your "service" starts. "Customers or Service" is not even close to #1 with UniFirst. Why be dishonest, deceiving and cheat customers, try providing great customer service, might increase business.

9th of Jan, 2013

I am also a very dissatisfied user in Morganton, NC. Our company had problems with shop towels that contained metal shavings. After more than 3 months and literally every single employee sustaining injuries we found our complaints unresolved. Combine this with an erratic delivery schedule around holidays, lost uniforms, late returns, and extreme pressure to write positive customer surveys and we made the decision to drop their service for lack of performance. Unifirst refused to pick up the uniforms and in a very threatening letter they are billing us in excess of $3, 0000.00 for contract obligations. If you have Unifirst I would immediately notify them you do not wish to automatically renew your contract and cite the comments I make here as a reason. It is your right and if you have problems in the future you will regret it if you are automatically renewed without your knowledge.

22nd of Jan, 2013

Since posting my comment above Unifirst has come back to discuss this issue with our owner. It seems they have bent over backwards to resolve the problems and we will continue our use of Unifirst. My only recommendation at this point would be that Unifirst make a management level decision to avoid using a lawyer until a customer has had a chance to voice their bad experiences.

• Dh
      23rd of Jan, 2013

Horrible service, inaccurate billings, cannot solve any billing or garment issues in a timely manner. They will continue to try and sneak in price increases even though your contract states no price increase for a certain period. Absolutely the worse uniform provider I have ever dealt with.

• Bo
      14th of May, 2013

I couldn't agree more with all these other comments. UniFirst is by far the worst Company I've ever dealt with. If we treated our Customers the way they treat theirs, we'd be out of business. They don't take accountability for anything, give tons of broken promises, inaccurate information, nothing gets done, constant billing issues, takes months for issues to get fixed, no communication, smug responses, etc... I urge everyone to stay FAR FAR away from this company! I cannot believe they are still in business after what I've heard from numerous other companies who are dealing with the same exact issues as all of us on here. It's a joke.

• Se
      5th of Nov, 2013

Not sure where my last post went, but I couldn't agree more. Unifirst in Melrose Park, IL has failed every step of the way. From taking a dozen attempts at our emblem, putting name badges on our shirts after noting we didn't want them, destroying about 3 rounds of our executive shirts because they were getting washed with the grease monkey clothes, nickle and diming us every step of the way, forcing us to argue with the driver every week over unwarranted charges, to promising us monthly billing and then not returning the phone calls we make to address the issue after saying you'll look into it...Unifirst is simply too big for their own good, and I prefer not to give them our business. Oh the beauty of contracts!

Seriously, you are better off purchasing the clothes and washing them in-house. The price is very attractive, but what you get in return for your money is complete chaos.

• Fi
      5th of Feb, 2014

Unifirst is a horrible company to deal with as their organizational skills there are never accurate! I have 3 problems with them to be exact.
    1. They always try to over-charge us because they cant keep their accounting straight.
    2. Whenever an employee leaves, we make sure all garments are accounted for, but Unifirst always wants to argue that there are garments missing and threaten to charge us if they arent returned. We always prove them wrong and show them that they mis-counted. This is a very frustrating thing to deal with as office personel.
    3. Our awesome boss ordered winter Jackets for us through Unifirst, to be embroidered with the company logo on them. He ordered theres in OCTOBER... IT IS NOW FEBRUARY... they first told us it would only take 3 weeks to recieve them, then that turned into 7 weeks, then after 9 weeks I called to check on the order, and the order was never placed for us!! Then, a couple weeks later they bring us jackets to try on for sizing purposes, and they were the wrong jackets all together! 2 weeks later, bring us ANOTHER set of jackets that were the right style, yet wrong sizes and wrong colors. FINALLY, yesterday they brought the RIGHT jackets for us to try on. Now we shall see how long the embroidery takes... WILL BE SUMMER BEFORE WE GET THESE JACKETS! I SUGGEST NEVER EVER ORDERING GARMENTS FOR YOUR STAFF FROM UNIFIRST!

• Na
      6th of Feb, 2014

DO NOT USE UNIFIRST. DO NOT SIGN THE CONTRACT. Unifirst is in the business of arbitration, not uniforms. Unifirst will promise you great service, great prices, etc... They will get you to sign the contract and then your in trouble. This is a fraudulent company. Once you sign the contract, they will do everything they can to get you to cancel. Once you cancel, they take that contract to arbitration and are awarded damages for the remainder of the contract, plus attorney and arbitration fees. The numbers are astronomical, $20, 000, $30, 000, $40, 000 and up.They are out to screw as many companies as they can. No matter what they do or dont do with regards to their service, if you cancel, you will lose.
    Google it, you will see for yourself. It is criminal.

• Da
      12th of Mar, 2014

Just finding this out now I could not make heads or tails of there billing the weekly costs for there service were always changing with no good reason I had them over a year and I told them I was done and to pick up there garments and go which they have not now I have a letter from an attorneys office demanding 6000 I made numerous calls and complaints about extra fees and missing articles of clothing with no resolve and no return and never once sent a formal bill with explanation of charges just the occasional demand for payment from the delivery driver I'm starting to feel as if I'm dealing with a mafia.

• Gr
      4th of May, 2014

I worked for this company for only two months as a Route Salesman, and DO NOT RECOMMEND WORKING HERE. Their training process is very short, two weeks, they send you out on routes and expect you to resolve their clients issues. You are expected to be their mediator, while you are expected to work 60-70 hours a week and paid for 40 hours each week. Furthermore, you're told not to punch in and out of the time clock, I guess this is their way of ripping their workers off, since you dont have a record of your time worked.
    Furthermore, you are paid bi-weekly, the routes are spread to far apart, not condensed properly at all.

• Ga
      14th of Dec, 2014

The worst company you can deal with and I've ever dealt with, however bad device and counterfeit the contracts it's their specialty be careful the sales can't sign the contract when you try to change the term or price they will make you sign it and take it to the office for manager approval and they will say manager agreed after they will fax you a carbon faxed copy that does not match the original . When you have disagreement they will pull a contract completely different than the you have signed .
    I have a contract with the hand writing of their sales person and my initial when I asked for the original a year later because of price increase while my original in hand writing said clearly no price increase for ge term of the contract they had one different than the one I signed they changed the first page and carbon the signature in another that's beside their terrible service and price increase after few months signing the contract and count every towel gets to your place or the dirty ones they take they cheat in inventory ...I caught them almost every time...

• Mi
      2nd of Oct, 2015

This has got to be the worst company I have dealt with. When we signed an agreement with them they told us that since we are 1st capital you can cancel anytime but you have to notify them 2 months in advance. This company is a mess. Pricing haven't went up after 3 months and they have too much hiding fees. Don't do business with them. I have been texting all of my friends that own business to not to deal with them and to look and review their bills. After i read some of the reviews i found a lot of these situation is like mine. Worst company ever and will never do with them business again

• Mr
      26th of May, 2016

The most amazingly unethical business practices we have ever seen. The Unifirst contract is more of a carnival trick, or street hustle, than it is a contract. This is particularly true regarding the Arbitration Clause. The type font is microscopic, and it does not comport with the Arbitration Association rules. DO NOT SIGN it if you can avoid it. Learn from our expensive mistakes. Further, they arbitrate all the time. Whom do you think gets better treatment by the arbitrators (none of whom you are likely to be familiar with), you or the repeat customer, Unifirst. They also phony up customer service reviews, even while you are writing complaint letters. Look out, your employees signature for receiving uniforms gets filled out later with a glowing customer review! It is a trap from which exit is expensive. They ought to be ashamed. i can assure you, they are not. If we did business like this, we wouldn't be around for long. Witchita Falls Texas. Incompetent and unethical is how we would describe Unifirst.

• Mr
      26th of May, 2016

They are almost unbelievably unethical.

• Bi
      15th of Dec, 2016

DO NOT SIGN WITH UNIFIRST. Unauthorized charges for services and items not ordered, overcharges on invoices EVERY week. Over a year with Unifirst and despite all the trouble no one has bothered to pick up the phone or stop by company to sort out. There are three other companies locally here in Austin Tx. with same complaints that have cancelled service. Erratic deliveries & pickup. Spending significant time each week dealing with billing office to correct their errors weekly. DO NOT SIGN CONTRACT.

6th of Jan, 2017

@Billy Williams Our apologies, and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. UniFirst has built its business and its positive reputation by delivering excellence in customer service, and it appears one of our Locations may have fallen short of our expectations. I can assure you we take this kind of information very seriously. If you relay to us all the company and contact information, we would like to escalate this matter for investigation and proper follow up. Please call our toll-free national customer service hotline at: (800) 794-2706.

14th of Jul, 2017

@UniFirst ONE of your locations MAY have fallen short???!?!? Your company is a scam. You care nothing about the satisfaction of your customers. Have you read all of the complaints across the internet?? You have screwed people everywhere. Just today I got a call from a collections agency saying we owed Unifirst money. We canceled our service months ago and told our local manager to come pick everything up. They were never heard from again. Now we've been sent to collections? We paid our final bill! Stop haunting us you horrible company.