TruGreen / trugreen killed my lawn

1 Elyria, OH, United States Review updated:
Phone: 440-324-7844

Over the course of last year, TruGreen completely killed my lawn - it literally disintegrated. This was despite the fact that I bought a couple of their upgrades and "needed treatments" + watered and kept the blades high on my mower.

A manager was supposed to come out and look at what is left (dirt) but of course never showed up. Unbeliveably they continue to call and try to get us to renew our service. The latest call was tonite. I told the guy who called me that there was nothing left to spray - he told me (quote) - "Well I have no idea what could have happened to your lawn, we don't send guys out to your house with ray guns." Then he told me that since we cancelled, we weren't customers anymore and he couldn't do anything for us.

TruGreen is all about selling you as many services as they can and could care less what happens to your lawn - and whether or not you are satisfied. The guy who called tonite was so cocky I think he thought he was doing me a favor by being part of his solicitation calls for the night.

If TruGreen calls you, hang up immediately.

Do

Comments

• Ha
      12th of Jun, 2008

We had a similar experience with TruGreen ChemLawn and a separate division Leisure Lawn in Florida. They are relentless telemarketers, even though we are on a "Do Not Call" list. Despite the fact that we cancelled their service because they ruined our lawn, they kept coming and applying treatments. When we refised to pay the last bill, they turned us over to a collection agency so now we are receiving collection calls AND more telemarketing calls to reinstate the service or to hire "Leisure Lawn" which was represented as a completely different company.

15th of Jul, 2008

I just observed a TG rep exit his vehicle, load up his broadcast fertilizer and spend all of THREE minutes doing a laughable treatment of the lawn across the steet. No wonder that lawn is never lush or green in all areas. How can home owners be so ignorant.

TG reps sometimes go door to door and will attempt to sign you up for everything you probably don't need, and most certainly at outrageous prices.

Do yourself a favor; for $50 or $60 you can purchase all of the lawn fertilizer, weed killer and tree/shrub feed for most
    1/4 acre lots for a season. Doing it yourself (2 treatments/yr) might take 3 hrs or so but you can be certain it is done right. Service companies could end up costing you $400 to 500/yr and there is no assurance it will be done correctly.

Tell the reps (door to door or callers) to give you the addresses of 5 customers in your neighborhood and then go look at their grass. When I pointed out the grass across the street (TG customer) wasn't as green as my lawn the rep was ready with a generic excuse, claiming that customer didn't water her lawn suffciently, which of course I knew was BS.

• Bo
      27th of Aug, 2008

Not only did trugreen destroy my perfect lawn, they also ruined my trees. I signed up for the tree and shrub service also and all my expensive trees look sick

• Bo
      2nd of Sep, 2008

I had them aerate and seed my lawn. They only aerated about 1/2 the lawn, threw a little seed down then left. They stuck the bill in the door and charged me $180 to aerate and another $135 for seed!! They threw down about $10 worth of seed in 3 minutes, . Complete ripoffs, dont hire trugreen chemlawn. Get this, my husband asked why there are large patches og dead grass and the tech said "lawnmower wheel marks"!!! We asked the service that does our neighbor to look at it and he said it was dollar spot and another fungus. Trugreen are ###s!!!

• Un
      12th of Sep, 2008

ok lets begin first off trugreen is a very good company that does good work but if you are to lazy to follow directions then the results are on you my friend. they do not put down a magic potion that will make your lawn green if you are not watering and were not getting rain. guess what u have to get off your couch and do something and anyone who reads this garbage they these people are writing are idiots and ignorant lets go by facts trugreen is the biggest lawn care company in the u.s hmmmm must be doing something right but a small hand full of people are crying that they didnt get results let do the math here people.
    if you want the result you need to put some work in to it to and do some homework on what needs to be done.
    im sick and tired of well they killed my lawn but when if fact they had grubs or another issue that they ignored cause it cost more and now there lawn is dead to those people i say good you got what u deserve. and last everyone crys about all the calls well people need to work right and people need money right? well thats what they are doing providing for themselves and there families and you rude people want to critise them when in fact they probly make more money then you so think twice next time. so in the end before u point the finger of blame do your homework and stop being so lazy

• St
      31st of Oct, 2008

Trugreen is a very good company? OK lets say you ignore the hundreds of complaints online alone, have you seen the BBB? Have you ever heard of water restrictions? The company I use changes the types of applications due to weather conditions and watering schedules. The fact is you can expest good resuts from quickly spraying a little liquid down on the lawn. My tech started treating my lawn before a Trugreen tech started a lawn down the street, he said watch how many they do before I am finished. They had done 3 homes similar sizes before he had finished because he took the time to service properly. Trugreen is the largest lawn care company because of the millions they spend on advertisement and the fact they have to buy out there competition to stay in buisness. I need to work and make money but the difference is I take pride in my job and I dont screw people!

30th of Dec, 2008

ive worked for trugreen now for 8 years. ive also worked for four different competiting companies. Trugreen is the largest lawncare company in the country by a long shot. Scotts was about a fourth the size of trugreen and is coming to its demise. Because trugreen is the largest lawncare company in the world they can afford to apply the most expensive products and in the largest quantities. Lawncare isnt very profitable because of chemical costs and fuel. Thats why most companies which promise the world of satisfaction dont last very long. In order to be lucrative a lawncare company has to get at least 20 to 30 stops per day per technician just to stay in business. One bag of fertilizer cost about 30 dollars now for a fifty pound bag. Thats just one thing. That doesnt include other weed killers whether post or pre emergents, water, fuel, insurance, uniform, payroll, and bills. Regardless of the company they all have to do a high quantity t0 make profit to stay in business. Trugreen spends the most money on training and products and materials and buildings and equipment of any of them. Trugreen is the originator and the most knowledgeable and expertised. Many hours days weeks and months are spent to train the technicians. It all comes down to the technician treating the property. There are good and bad technicians no matter where you go. Ive seen them all. All companies apply basically the same things and the same program. What trugreed does is try to make life easier for you. You dont want to do it yourself thats why you payed trugreen to do it for you. Trugreen isnt responsible for mowing or watering your lawn. You are responsible for that. Trugreen is only going to see you once on average every 4 to 8 weeks. Thats it. Some lawns need mowing twice a week depending on grass type and growing zone. The correct speed for application is one thousand square feet per minute with a broadcast spreader or spray solution. Anymore time taken could burn the lawn. Ask any company how many square feet should be treated in one minute and they will say one thousand square feet. some companies who ive worked with do twice this amount. so with trugreen if you have a small three thousand square foot lawn then it should only take the tech three mintutes to broadcast the lawn. If you have grassy and such that cant be treated with the regular broadcast treatment then trugreen does it at no additional charge. if they dont then you may call for a free service call to have it done. other companies charge extra for this. Trugreen is also among the cheapest in lawncare because they are so big and therefore can afford everything at a much cheaper price wholesale factory direct. The key is getting a technician which has at least two years of experience. If theyve made it that long they are probably good at what they do for most technicians dont last that long. The second thing is communication. Its your lawn and you see it everday, a tech may see it once every 30-60- days or so. you will notice things much more often than your tech will. If you notice things its a good idea to call the office for help. Follow instructions. Technicians are required to write detailed notes about what they applied, observed, and what you can expect. There isnt a magic potion. Temporary yellowing is common and may happen after grassy weed treatment. Most weeds need at least 2 to 3 weeks to begin to die. Some weeds need 2 or 3 repeated treatments to control. Not all weeds can be prevented and can only be treated after being visible. Different weeds and scenarios occur at different times of the year which is why its important to get at least 7 treatments in a 12 month period and you can always get more treatments. Finally, mistakes happen as with any other company. weve seen them happen with large banks, financial corporations, lending institutions and government. Trugreen is responsible for damage that they do. It has to be proven that trugreen did the damage if there is damage and the customer willing to accept that accidents happen and allow trugreen to fix the issue. Trugreen is where they are because they are the best at all that they do. Listen, research, observe, pay attention and be patient. take advantage of free service calls and do your part.

• La
      6th of Feb, 2009

Ive been working at trugreen for about a yr and believe me i have seen the best and worst, I do believe trugreen has the skills the make the lawns look awesome if the product is applied correctly and the customer follows through on their part for instructions. I also know that it is a luxery to have lawn care svc the way the economy is but people cannot think that their lawn will just be perfect after a couple applications. Trugreens staff is always willing to help their customers b/c they value them the way most companies dont value their customers. I think that trugreen gets to many negative reports from people who just want someone to blame. customers have to do their part to get the best results. we will do the rest.I believe trugreen is an awesome company with awesome values and stands for what they believe. I am proud to work at Trugreen!!!

28th of Feb, 2009

I just started using TruGreen and my entire lawn is weeds/crabgrass before they have done anything.

I'm hopeful that working with them within 1 year my lawn will start to look better. All I want is my lawn to keep improving over time. Hopefully I will be satisfied with the services that TruGreen applies.

• To
      3rd of Mar, 2009

True green chemlawn has consistently harassed me for a payment for the last year. I tolf them i wanted to cancel my service because they were killing my lawn and they continued to come and spray their hazardouse chemiclas ON MY DEAD LAWN!!

This went on for many months i actua;;y almost got into a physical altercation throwing the chemlawn man off my dead lawn!!! these people are insane and i am in the process of suing them!!! stay away from trugreen chemlawn!!!

• Dm
      2nd of Apr, 2009

you guys are ignorant... Your home was full of weeds and crabgrass BEFORE they did anything hmmm?? Wow... FOLLOW UR RECOMMENDATIONS !!! We HELP it grow, we DONT MAKE IT grow... we dont water it, we dont mow it !! Not only is it the best company for lawn care, its also backed up by the HUUUGH GREAT company of Servicemaster...

21st of Apr, 2009

I own a chem Lawn care company near Chicago it is amazing how many accounts I get because trugreen is horrible. I had a few frends that works at turgreen for a while and it makes me sick to hear the stories how they would scam there coustemers. My fav is they would knock on the door, if the people were not home they would stick a flag in the yard and leave with out doing anything, They get paid on commision so the more they get done in a day the more they make. Thank you Tru Green for continuing to do a crappy job, its really helping me to grow my bussiness!!

• Oh
      29th of Jun, 2009

To Mike: You're full of ###! Know what youre talking about before you comment! I work for TruGreen as a Route Manager. Techs DO NOT get paid any kind of commision at all...PERIOD! They earn what is called a retention bonus. This bonus is obtained by KEEPING customers in their route. If too many customers cancel service, the Techs get NOTHING! So your comment on "the more they get done in a day, the more they get paid" is ###! You're a typical fly by night chump with a second rate company banging on others to try and get customers. Know what you're talking about before you open your mouth!

• Kl
      11th of Sep, 2009

I completely agree that Trugreen Lawn Service does more harm than good (an understatement--I am being generous here). Like many others, our lawn was nearly killed off after a mere 3 months of service by Trugreen. Reason for hiring them and all we wanted to do was eliminate some small areas of weeds and add a little iron to green up the lawn. If your goal is turn your currently-green lawn brown, and thin it out drastically, then Trugreen is the company for you. And they'll do it in no time flat! They sent out a different technician every time, so the left hand never knew what the right was doing/had done. Every technician said something completely different about why our grass was suddenly going downhill--the district manager (who never came out for a look) even said the grass must be too dry--this, in one of the wettest FL summers in memory with our lake nearly overflowing into the yard... what a joke. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say, we hope we terminated service in time that we can bring our lawn back to health with a little loving care. STAY AWAY FROM THESE QUACKS and treat your lawn yourself with guidance you can download from numerous reputable websites with no hidden agendas (e.g., university/agricultural college sites). kaymr

• Vi
      28th of Sep, 2009

Trugreen sucks.. All it do is get your money. Just go a head buy fertilizers at homedepot or lowes and I guarantee you that you will save a lot of money and you will see the real true green. I paid trugreen 50 dollars a month and i do not see any improvement on my lawn. Don't trust trugreen..

• Za
      7th of Oct, 2009

i am with trugreen in daytona and i agree with my fellow workers a lot of these people are crying but the truth is a lot of these same people are the majority cause of their own problems excluding the fact the weather has a huge portion to play with it

• Sp
      21st of Oct, 2009

I contacted TruGreen in March for a fall aeration. They told me it would be $65 and they would be out in September. Well, September came and went and nobody showed up...nobody called. I know I COULD have called and inquired, but who is working for who here? I shouldn't have to call Tru-Green to remind them of their job.
    Since it is now in October, I gave up on the idea of getting my lawn aerated this year and figured I would try another company next Spring. Well, lo and behold on OCTOBER 21ST, they finally show up.
    I also received about 10 or 15 sales calls after I signed up with them. One guy got sort of pissy with me and told me he couldn't understand why I was refusing their pest control service. I told them that it was because I DON"T HAVE BUGS OR PESTS! He basically just hung up on me. I received about 10 calls after that, but when I saw TruGreens number on the caller ID, I ignored it...no message was ever left meaning that it was just another sales call.
    I will pay for my aeration, but as far as I am concerned, Tru-Green is a complete waste of time and money!

• Tr
      31st of Oct, 2009

So i decided to look at the complaints online for trugreen...ive been working there for three years now and never did..all the complaints i see are not from the area where i am which is good i think...this is my thought...If u have out service and you get a tech who is an ###, Im sorry. The company goes through many employees because they all come in and figure out hey i can make money and not do anything(ripping people off) saying they do things they dont...eventually they all get caught and fired. There are good techs out there who take pride in there work and like what they are doing. I will do what ever i can free treatments, hand pulling weeds, free aerations( if needed), seed, Ect. for my customers. i have about 650 that i take care of myself. It is tough to make everyone happy. If you take the time to listen talk with your tech...request that u meet He or she first also ask that he be the only one who treats ur lawn use the free service calls even though we hate them. but they are good. You can have a good relationship and a nice lawn...Also remember YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! the more you pay within reason depending on the size of your lawn the better the work is. Most of the time

• El
      30th of Nov, 2009

Here's my favorite --- I was a lawn treatment customer, I have a bunch of flower beds with all kinds of perennial flowers and vegetables.

About once a month, I would get a phone call, "yes, Mr. so and so technician was servicing your lawn last week (this was already a true statement) and noticed some [fill in the blank with some kind of horrible sounding disease] on your shrubs and trees. We advise a TruGreen shrub and tree treatment."

Of course, I don't have any shrubs or trees, just flower beds and grass. So, there is no way "Mr. so and so" noticed anything at all about shrubs or trees on my property.

The first time it happened, I wrote it off as a paperwork mistake. The 2nd time, I asked that a note be added to our file so that TruGreen could keep it straight. The 3rd time, I realized that this is just a telemarketing phone blitz, and they don't really care what I do or don't have on my property.

Ended my contract, will never use them again. The unfortunate part is they did good work on my lawn...but once you lie to me, you're out for good.

• Ki