Travelbyjen.com / Uncooperative

United States Review updated:
Travel Agency: Travelbyjen.com
Travel Agent: Robert Phillips

I booked a vacation package with Robert Phillips from Travelbyjen.com. They quickly took the passenger's name and my credit card numbers. They failed to double check the names. I asked them to send me an email confirmation so I don't have to wait weeks for the package documents to come in the mail. He failed to send me an email confirmation. I called 2 days later and spoke with another agent who kindly sent me the email confirmation. I read the email confirmation and notice he misspelled my last name [Feier instead of Seier]. I felt that would be an issue with the airline ticket, airport security, transferring to the hotel, hotel reservations, etc. I called back Travelbyjen and asked them to please change my information to the correct spelling. I spent a lot of money on a trip and I would most certainly expect my name to be spelled correctly so my travel would be accepted without issue. They refused to change it. At this point I decided to try to change the reservations on my own since they continued to refuse to change the information to the correct spelling. I called the airline and they told me that the travel agent would have had to pay $150 to change an airline reservation. It was clear why they did not want to change it, even though they failed to type the correct information. I changed my airline information to the correct spelling. The next step was to call the hotel. I called the hotel, they directed me to customer service, which directed me to the national branch of Go-Go Vacations, which directed me to the local branch of Go-Go Vacations, which told me the travel agent had to change the reservation. I provided the local branch of Go-Go Vacations with the travel agent's direct contact information. I called the uncooperative travel agent and provided him with the contact information of the Go-Go Vacations representative to directly change the reservation to the correct spelling. After doing all the leg work for the travel agent, he still decided to not change the reservation to the correct information. I don't recommend this agency to anyone since they fail to correct a mistake that they clearly made, which a spelling mistake could be crucial in whether you can get on the plane and/or check into your hotel. Thank you.

D  5th of Mar, 2009 by
I am the agent. Robert Phillips, and I would like to set the record straight as there are many inaccuracies. First of all, Mr. Seier took two days after being quoted a vacation package to call back to book and complained that the airfare had gone up by $30 per person. I offered to take off the $60 at my expense to make him happy although our company had explained that the rates are not guaranteed until booking. He booked an air inclusive 8 day package at a 4 1/2 star all icclusive resort with all taxes for $900 per person, so it was a great priced package and one that there is not a large profit in.
I explained to him that we send out confirmations immediately after booking and we ask to make sure that everything is correct. We make over 10, 000 reservations a year over the phone and with accents, similar sounding letters, etc, mistakes do happen. I was not notified by him until 2 days later that he said he never received it. Maybe he didn't, or maybe he did and did not realize that there was a mistake either for several days either. I do not know but I would not know someone did not receive an email unless they tell me. When he called to let me know about the mistake, I explained that they would not change the name on the airline ticket after 24 hours, but I would send an OSI report to the airline. That would inform the airline that there was an error or type-o on the ticket and would adjust as necessary. He was not happy about this, although I explained that it is standard procedure and he would not have a problem. He insisted that they change the ticket. I again explained that it would cost $150 to change it and it was an unnecessary expense since the airlines do understand that mistakes do happen. He insisted that I pay it. I told him that I would not be able to authorize it as it was substantially more than we made on the trip. I offered to cancel the trip and fully refund the trip. He declined. Obviously because he knew we had offered him an amazing deal. I also told him that if by chance he had an issue with the airline, I would refund him the fee at that point. There was no reason to pay for a spelling error, but offered ( not agreed to, but offered) in the event they made him do it, I would pay for it. Evidently, that was not enough, so he proceeded to call everyone else he possibly could- I assume that they all told him the same thing. Finally, I told him that the hotel records would take 48 hours to update in the Dominican Republic. I guess he did not want to wait for that either although he is traveling March 24th, so it was not a time sensitive matter. I beleieve he thinks that his incessent phone calls made a difference, or it might have been that he made incessent calls for 2 days and the system adjusted just like I said it would. Thie entire ordeal would have been avoided if he had made 1 phone call to tell me the email had not gone through in a timely mannar than tthe 30 some odd calls after the fact. Lets be honest- mistakes happen- type-o's happen. The airline understands this and unfortunately this gentleman did not- no matter how or who explained it. I am confident that there will not be an issue as we have been working this way for 12 years and it has never caused an expense or issue for a passanger in the 100, 000 plus happy clients we have booked.
N  3rd of May, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +3 Votes
I don't know what happened in your case Mr. Seier, but my fiancee booked a trip to Aruba through Travel by Jen and was assisted by Tiffinie Notaro and it was wonderfully done. The trip was a surprise to me and the flights, and accomodations were very well executed. I will definitely use this agency for my next get-away.
Valette Byrd
A  27th of Oct, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I also booked with Rob at Travel By Jen. He informed me that the standard rooms were no longer available so I booked a sierra suite which of course costed more money. However, that same day, I went directly to the hotel's website and found that there were standard rooms available for the dates I wanted to travel. Basically, he just wanted to make more of a commission by making me upgrade. He took my credit card information and gave me my confirmation number. He said he would send the itineary soon. I called back toward the end of the day and he gave me the excuse that he had been waiting for the hotel to send back the confirmation. Once I received that e-mail regarding the hotel, I noticed that my airline information wasn't included so I then e-mailed him immediately and requested that information. Then I called and left voicemail messages with him and the receptionist throughout the week requesting my itineary. My credit card has been charged but I have no information about my itineary. Is this legal?! I spoke to the receptionist today and asked if it was possible to cancel because it's been a week and I haven't received my flight information. I am supposed to leave in two weeks! This is not acceptable! The receptionist said she will try to e-mail me the itineary so I am still waiting...
N  17th of Dec, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
I have to say that I just returned from Playa del Carmen where my wife and I were married on the beach. I booked our trip through Travel by Jen, and I must say it was a WONDERFUL experience! We could not have been happier. I also booked through Tiffinie and she was great! My whole family booked through them as well and nobody had a problem. Yes, you may experience a few holds lasting 5-10 minutes, but isn't that worth the $100's to $1000's these wonderful people are saving us? The problem with our modern society is, people like this that have nothing better to complain about and expect everything handed to them on a silver platter. I say, go back to paying your $1000's more and leave the deals to "us", who appreciate the hard work of Travel by Jen. Again, IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS ABOUT THIS COMPANY, DON'T! THEY ARE GREAT!

N  6th of Jul, 2010 by
I have been trying to contact Travel by Jen for 4 weeks now regarding a cancelled destination wedding that was booked through Travel By Jen. I was interested in booking a new destination through them in hopes of not losing the $200 deposit I put down for my husband and I to go to the wedding. I am about to just "eat" the $200 and book with Apple Vacations, who I have never had an issue with. Absolutely ridiculous that I can't get a phone call back after more than weekly calls for 4 weeks. If you have to deal with anyone at Travel By Jen, DO NOT deal with Rob. You would think the owner of the company would be interested in keeping his business but he really does not seem interested in doing so.
D  26th of Aug, 2010 by
This is the friend of the disguntled ex bride to be. She was informed at booking the deposits were non refunable. It was clearly explained that if they needed to move their date by a day or two, the fee would be $50. This was the concern because they were booking in advance and were not purchasing airfare at that time. We attempted to change the resort and dates to accomodate her, but the tour operator did not contract with the hotel that she wanted. I even tried to see if we could get an exception and they could not accomodate. We offered an alternative resort, but that was not acceptable.
A  9th of Feb, 2011 by
I always had good experiences with Travel By Jen until last year when I booked a trip to Cancun with my family. We did not get the confirmation for two weeks. Despite my calling, we received no confirmation until two weeks later. When I received the confirmation, I noticed that we had been booked for the wrong package. We were supposed to have 7 nights but had been booked for 6. I called and talked with an agent who said that Mr. Phillips indicated that we had not booked the package that I claimed we had booked. After going back through my old emails where the offer had come to me via email, I sent it to Tiffany who I was talking with at that time. She was very nice but Mr. Phillips, the owner of Travel By Jen was on vacation and couldn't do anything to correct the problem until he returned. It's more than a year after the fact and Robert Phillips has yet to straighten out the mess that HE made.
N  9th of Mar, 2011 by
Dennis Canright
I booked a trip to Cancun February 2010 with Christina Lembo. It was a great experience. Two weeks ago I booked a trip to Cancun for the whole family with Linda Majewski. Issue (1) the flight home was booked a day early which would have made the trip four night trip. When Confirmation was sent I called ASAP and Linda did fix the issue it cost us an additional $50.00 but I had no issues with that, mistakes happen no one is perfect. Now issue (2) booked the wrong resort. I did receive Confirmation for Catalonia Riviera Maya. A week later I was looking at booking an excursion and when I looked at hotels they pick you up at there where a few Catalonia hotels so I review the hotel information for Catalonia Riviera Maya. This was a different place then I requested. I reviewed the e-mail travel by jen sent me and that I ask for when I booked my trip the place I ask for was Catalonia Privilege beach resort which is located in the Riviera Maya. I called Travel by Jen ASAP and happen to speak with Christina Lembo. Christina remembered me and confirmed they were two different resorts, she also took my information and later the same day I received a call from a manager buy the name of Daniel. Daniel was very nice and the following morning I received the correct Confirmation. I have ask for a little composition for having to find /catch two mistakes on one trip something like an upgraded room. Daniel told me she will see what she can do. It has been a week and I have not heard anything. I will keep you all posted. If any of these items where not caught it would not have been good. I am hoping Travel by Jen comes through with a little composition. I would like to continue using Travel by Jen. But we will see how they deal with a customer service issue. I must say Travel by Jen is very lucky to have an employee like Christina Lembo. Christina makes my family feel that our vacation experience is important, “great Job”. We will see if the Manager Daniel has the same customer service skills.
N  27th of Nov, 2011 by
My boyfriend booked a trip to Punta Cana for my birthday (we leave tomorrow morning). We went on American Airlines to check in and the flight that they confirmed we are on IS NOT what is reserved in AA.com. We specifically requested direct flights, and now we are laying over in Miami for 3 hours and get back home around midnight. The Word document that was our "confirmation" was just a flat out lie. We worked with Carol Lopez (BEWARE). We are currently trying to reach ANYONE at the company to rectify our returning flight home. Overall, this is a BIG HEADACHE.
N  17th of Dec, 2011 by
In May of 2010 we booked a trip through TBJ with Danielle Butera to Playa Del Carmen. Unfortunately we were turned down at the airport because the agent said my husband's pass port had been "altered" (accidentally laundered). Anyway, we immediately called Danielle and with her help we were able to get a voucher from the hotel for the exact same package and same with flights, to be used some time in the next 365 days. Danielle did not have to "save the day" for us as TBJ was not at fault for this disaster. But she was very accommodating, friendly and efficient. I would book with her again in a minute.
N  13th of Jan, 2012 by
I also booked a vacation with Rob Phillips and he was AWFUL !! He did not return calls, send confirmations and failed to get us competitive rates !!! I am shocked to know that he is the actual owner !!! I will not do business with TBJ again.
N  15th of Jan, 2012 by
If you read the posts above, the owner is posting positive feedback, and acting like he was a customer.
N  15th of Jan, 2012 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
The owner also contacted my boyfriend, and agreed to get a credit from the airline. The only way he would do this, was if I removed the negative postings I made about his company. This was completely unprofessional and once he realized that we would not remove the post, we never heard from him again. This company is happy to take your money, and understaffed and unwilling to provide any services once payment has been received. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS ORGANIZATION!!
A  15th of Feb, 2012 by
Worst company I have ever worked with and yes Robert was the worst out of all the agents. Don't even waste your time with them-it will only lead to headaches, anxiety and fustration. They do not give you any details about your trip and expect you to trust them. They don't give you any detailed list of expenses and forget about refunds if something happens. They obviously don't care about being in business very long because their service is terrible!
N  23rd of Feb, 2012 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Wow! Almost booked a group trip to Jamaica with TBJ. I tried contacting them several times prior to booking the trip. I got No response. These reviews have been extremely helpful. I won't waste my time or money!
N  3rd of Mar, 2012 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I agree...WOW!!! I was in the process of looking to book a large group for a destination birthday---Thank you all for taking the time to advise other travellers of your bad experiences!! Sorry about your nightmares. Denise
N  8th of Apr, 2012 by
oh no! i wanted to take the deal to Jamaica but now that I'm reading all these negative comments i am not so sure now :S
D  13th of Apr, 2012 by
Jchristie- The flight that was booked originally was a nonstop flight. American canceled this flight from their return date onward. The were protected by American on a different flight. This change had NOTHING to do with Travel By Jen. We spoke to American after being notified and the only alternative we were given was to have them return a day earlier on a nonstop flight. We had authorization to get a refund for the day at the hotel as well but did not recieve a return call from the clients and I called several times even after return to attempt to help. Again, TravelByJen booked a nonstop flight as noted and American canceled the flight-. Even after return, we were willing to spend the time fighting on your behalf with American to recieve compensation, and it is absolutely true that we asked to have the comment removed 'Until we had time to assist." Just as you posted other comments, nothing would have stopped you from reposting. As agents, we are here to book trips and assist with issues. This is an issue that was not caused by our company, but we were willing to help.
N  21st of Apr, 2012 by
Well, I guess my friends and I are the only people in the world who have had wonderful results from Travel by Jen. We are all repeat customers, and have booked through various TBJ agents, and things have gone well, each and every time. We were even assisted in getting some comp nights, to make up for a power outage from a storm. Certainly an act of God, but TBJ helped us out! Over forty of us will most certainly use them again. Tiffany is amazing! Mistakes do happen. I am retired law enforcement, and I know from experience, even perfection can be unfairly scrutinized. One more thing, I don't work for TBJ, nor have I ever personally met someone who does. I just think that all critique should be balanced. Happy travels!
D  25th of May, 2012 by
I just returned from a trip to Puerto Vallarta. We upgraded to the adult's only Royal Suites Punta Mita and will recommend this hotel and the agency. I did book with Rob and everything went well. There were about 20 people on the same flight as us who also took the same Travelzoo special as we did. Anyone interested in traveling to Puerto Vallarta should check out this place. They just renovated all of the rooms and restaurants so the prices will probably go up. The only thing they didnt do was upgrade the pool, but they told me there that they would be doing it next year. Hopefully I will go back to see it when it is done.

TravelByJen.com Logo TravelByJen.com