The Salvation Armyscrew over and abuse their hardworking employees

C Review updated:

Was hired in Nov. 2009, as the Store Manager...after the last one was mean to employees, was mean to customers...my business was lost in the Iowa Flood of 08. Needed health insurance. Pay was 8.00 pr hour, and bonus...IF you qualified. Saved everything..but criminal actions by my landlord resulted in everything I owned was destroyed. Long Story, lawsuit pending...they committed 4 crimes, 2 federal crimes.
I know the 2nd hand business like the back of my hand, my first month there, cleaned and organized the entire store, even sized the clothes. Increase of sales...68%. Over the 9 month period...my total monthly increase 67&. Almost doubled the business in March. A clean organized, good price store. With half of the employees as I had when I started.
My very 2nd week there, after my 40 hours...an employee called in sick. So I called other employees, no one available.
So I called my district manager and asked what should I do? I already put in my 40 hours (this was sat=btw)..and the guy on staff had a disability...anziety.. ..the nicest guy you will ever meet. But, we had a big madness sale going on.,
and leaving him alone would not of been good.
Anyway, so I call my boss and ask...what should I do? He said you will have to go in. So I said...well I don't know the procedure for the paperwork for the overtime hours...now get this...he says...oh no...you can't clock in...no overtime allowed and if you clock in, you will get wrote up...so I said...so I won't go in...then he said...Its your job to verify the deposit and ensure the employe gets their break, and if you don't do that...you will get wrote up. We went through this seniro 3 times...so I went in and worked for free. Because I was screwed either way...
When employees quit, I was not allowed to replace them, yet the constant threat of getting fired or wrote up if I didnt get my required amount of daily sales...Corporate popped in on suprise...asked where is all my employees...found out I was short handed, told them to get me a full timer to start...not only did they not give me a full timer...they cut my %$ allowed payroll hours. So I get punished for upping the business by almost 70% from the year before. Makes sense. Umm no.
This went on for almost 9 months, until I couldn't process stuff faster then it was coming in.
Saved the 20K in payroll, 12K in free wages by me...Increased sales by almost 100K,
I couldn't keep working almost 40 hours free. For three months I called to get more help. Nothing. Sent pictures and inventory records to show we were getting hammered..nothig. So I called corporate...and got fired.
Salvation Army is pure evil, greed. Don't donate. The thing I got fired for...was sending their pallets of clothes back in the delivery truck, so they don't get rained on.
They refuse to give me a copy of my personal record. Greed ...

Oct 07, 2011

Hey...
    I don't know if the salvation army is different in the u.s but i live in canada. I have been a part of the church since I can even remember and just before graduation got hired at the thrift store. It was great for the first six months but we got a new manager about a year ago. The second he was trained he ripped the whole place apart and "made it better", however sales dramatically decreased and a few of our old regulars won't even shop there anymore. The only lady who works full time is kind of a tyrant and was so close to being fired when the old manager left but she got a clean slate. So, a year goes by and everyone is going mental over this one person who gets along with nobody. I went to my boss's boss and he told me to wait a month or so, they're working on getting her fired. To top it all off I was underpaid on my last cheque and told my manager about it three times. The last time he said he forgot I went to the person in charge of payroll. She told me I must have messed up on my time sheet and I would have to be paid on my next cheque, it's too late to do anything now. I am livid with this evil greedy corporation and quiting asap!!

Jul 13, 2014

I really understand how this works. I also work for the salvation army in Portland, OR. When I first started it was great, I got my 40 hrs, vacation pay, so many sick days. Just before Christmas they cut my hrs down to 25 a week. I couldn't pay rent, or have a Christmas with grand kids, I had to take out a loan on my car just to pay rent. They ask me to work at the warehouse also the Salvation Army Rehabilition Center.(ARC). I would get my 40 hrs, vac pay, and med. I had no choice if I wanted my job. At 62 jobs are hard to find. Once I was at the warehouse working with all the men that were in rehab then all the rule came up. No talking to the men, unless you tell them to work, if the temp. out side is 85 degrees its 95 inside. No air conditioning, no fan allowed, no water at your station, if you need water you get 2 mins. to get it in a bathroom dixie cup. Or you get wrote up, no bathroom breaks 20 mins. before breaks or 20 mins. after, or you get wrote up, no candy, no gum, if you a found with anything in your mouth you get wrote up. If you get three wrote up three time your done. My job is to put out 125 blue totes a day. My head supervisor helped me price, and he didn't make my count so I was suspended. Now I go back and have one more chance or I am fired. WHY CAN'T SOMETHING BE DONE???????

Dec 23, 2014

I am searching for information regarding discrimination and complaints with respect to on going litigation regarding the Salvation Army. Please email me your full stories, and the stories of anyone else you know that may have had these experiences working for the Salvation Army. [protected]@gmail.com