The Orenco Hotel

Posted: Aug 12, 2017 by

keeping my money

They cancelled the room I had prepaid to see the eclipse, sold it to another customer, and won't repay my money.
1. On June 24th I purchased a non-refundable reservation for August 20th.
2. When it became evident I was unable to go, it seemed worth a try to ask the hotel this question:Since this is an extraordinary night with hotel rooms at a premium, could I have my money back if I cancelled my reservation and they were able to sell it to another party? I called, spoke with a kind young man, explained my situation and my question. He said he would ask his manager.
4. When I didn't hear from back from him in a day or so I called the hotel again and spoke with another young man and repeated the above. Either he misunderstood my question, or his manager misunderstood his communication of my question, because the manager canceled my reservation and resold it. The hotel sent an email to me regarding the cancellation on August 7th.
5. When I saw the title of “Room Cancellation 8/20” I assumed this was the answer to my question. I skimmed the email and saw that it said that no refunds were possible. They also sent me a receipt which I glanced at thinking it was for my prepayment.
6. Thinking things were fine, I offered the room to a family member who asked me to check on bed space in the room. I called the hotel and was told that I had cancelled the room and they had resold it. Stunned, I tried to explain that I'd never canceled the room but had only asked a question.
The manager said that cancelling a non-refundable reservation for such a wanted night had seemed odd. I wish she had double-checked and given me a call which would have prevented this issue. For my part I should have read their emails more carefully and called a day or so sooner. That said, the manager offered to talk to the owner.
7. That night I received an email offering me an upgrade on a non-eclipse night. As that's too late, I would like the return of my payment of $192.95. They will not responds back to me.
Complaint comments Comments (0) Complaint country United States Complaint category Hotels

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree