The College Network / scam, liars, fraud

1 indiana, IL, United States Review updated:

College rep came to my house and highly reccomended me the RN to BSN program. Her name was Patricia Jones and she stated being a nurse with a Master degree now recruitng students. She never told me that the college network isn't nothing but a publisher company She stated to be affilliated to different colleges preparing student for a fast track on line course. She offer me resorce center on line . They do have a resource center on line, but it is a scam nothing but the same old book they published there is no interaction or such tutor on line to help u with the class.. It is basically study a book on your own and go challenge the test. I even contact them for accademic support and had some one read the book over and over to me, these academic suport people are not professor and are not prepare instruct people. the bootom line is they make u believe they are on line fast trak course to take your degree. But its a lie. They stated They were working with financial aid and federal loans this is a lie no such federal loan are given to this company for students, I have been paying them since las year i have not received anyhing from them just a book and every time try to call then they repeat the same story you are resposible for the loan..I am like what loan I have not received nothing from you gives what do I owe you..in fact you guys collect that money in my name wich i am never going to use and never going to see..

Es

Comments

• Th
      29th of Apr, 2009

Dear Escobar,

The College Network is an educational services company that provides support and services to assist customers in furthering their educations. We are partnered with several institutions of higher learning, but this is essentially a self-study program. Our Academic Advisors all hold a bachelor's degree or higher and can assist you with academic-related questions or other concerns.

I am sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with your purchase up to this point. Normally, in this instance I would have someone from our Customer Care Unit contact you to provide assistance, however I am unable to locate you in our system. Please feel free to respond to me in this forum or contact the manager of our Customer Care Unit. Her name is Heather and she can be reached at 1-800-634-1443.

18th of May, 2009

Agree 100% !!! You people are a total fraud and have been reported to everyone!! The attorney general, better business ect ect!! You portray yourself that you are a college and should be shut down immediatly!!! You are taking hardworking nurses that want to better themselves and leaving a mountain of useless books and debt! You people are full of garbage! Nobody gave us a Federal Grant to continue our education like you say!!! Shame on all of you! I will def be a part of the class action statewide lawsuit to SHUT YOU DOWN!!!

20th of May, 2009

Dear jackielpn,

Unfortunately, I am unable to identify you as a customer in our system. You are welcome to contact Academic Support and ask to speak to the manager of the Customer Care Unit.

To briefly address some of your concerns, we do not portray ourselves as a college. Both our website and the paperwork you complete when you sign up identifies us as an educational materials and support provider. We do partner with several colleges and universities and some of them may be able to assist you in obtaining federal grants or student loans, but those are not services that we provide.

We would be more than happy to address your concerns. It is our sincerest hope to be able to assist you in obtaining your degree. Please contact us at 1-800-624-1443.

21st of May, 2009

Dear Rick,
    No, you people are a total fraud. You send fast talking "salesmen" to homes of nurses that want to continue their education. Your fast talking salesmen tell you that College Network is a College and you are receiving a Federal Grant to help pay. maybe you should read the hundreds of complaints that are ALLL over the internet regarding ther fact that you are just as "PUBLISHING COMPANY" and nothing else! 3 days to cancel? OK try getting someone on the phone to do that! Your kidding me right? Total scam associated with Southeastern Financial. I dont know how you sleep at night but I am sure that you are receiving a nice commision from all the nurses that have been frauded.. If you say that you are a respectable company start making copies of ALLL the local, state, and national complaints and bring them in to quality assurance and say "We may have a problem". There are hundreds and thousands of complaints so dosent that TELL you something? Tell everybody why its a sneaky 3 day cancel policy. people dont even have time to read anything! Then within 3 days people call and they cant cancel...Ahh isnt that fishy? They blow you off and then after 3 days...Oh Well You Loose!! Why are we told you are a College and receiving a Federal Grant? Maybe your logo should say "Publishing Company Only"!! Allow the nurses to be able to bow out with no harm to their credit, return useless material. Extend your cancel policy to 30-60 days so you can even look at the books. How can you cancel in three days if the delivery hasent arrived? Amazing to me. Have a great day!

22nd of May, 2009

Dear Jackie,

Your 2 main complaints seem to be the fact that we are not a college and our 3 day cancellation period. Both of these aspects of your program are covered in your papererwork. As with any purchase, I always recommend that you read everything prior to signing.

The 3 day cancellation period is standard where a loan is concerned. The 3 days is not to determine whether or not you want to do the program, but whether or not your finances are in line to take out a loan. The decision to further one's education is a big one and should be considered prior to signing up.

As far as calling to cancel, we honor all cancellation requests that are made within the 3 business day cancellation period. We are available by phone from 8-11EST Monday through Thursday and from 8-9EST on Friday. Cancellation requests can also be faxed, mailed, or emailed.

With regard to your statement about federal grants, this is not a service that we advertise or promote. To my knowledge our programs are not currently eligible for federal funding. The portion of your program that you complete with the degree-granting institution may be, but not The College Network portion.

If you have additional concerns, please call 1-800-634-1443 and assk to speak to Heather. She is the manager of our Customer Care Unit and she would be more than happy to assist you with your concerns. I hope I have been able to satisfactorily answer your questions.

24th of May, 2009

Dear Rick,
    Like I said prior sir, your so called company falsely represents themselves. These fast talking salesmen tell you that you are receiving a FEDERAL GRANT to continue your education. Why dosen't College Network portray themselves as a publishing company? Had that been told then guess what? I am sure that most people would have never signed up and all these complaints would never exist. In my opinion sir this is a fast talking company that have put alot of people into debt. I am sure that you have read all the complaints all over the internet and all the complaints filed to the BBB and attorny general. Dosent that tell you something? Maybe the tacticts used for this College Network need to be changed? Maybe video should be taken al all salesmen home visits because guess what? They are portraying false information and they are telling you that they are a college and you are receiving a Federal Grant. Some states do not even recognize College Network. So now what? I do not need any questions answered. I would like to see people being able to get out of this contract, return material and rally to change the way College Network portrays themselves. My credit as well as many others is now ruined because I fell for this scam. My question to you is what is College Network going to do over all these complaints both issued to the BBB and the Attorny General?

Dear Jackie,

We do not tell customers that they are receiving a federal grant to pay for the program. I am unable to locate your specific account by your first name alone, but chances are you completed a loan application as part of your enrollment paperwork. Why would we tell you that you are receiving a federal grant to pay for your program and then ask you to complete a loan application? Some of the schools that we partner with may be eligible for federal grants or financial aid, but as far as I know there are no federal grants available to pay for The College Network portion of the program.

Additionally, the enrollment paperwork states that we are not a school and we do not grant degrees. We do not portray ourselves as a school, as that would be clearly contrary to all the information that is presented to you in writing.

As far as your statement that The College Network is not recognized by some states, that is inaccurate. Some of the programs that we publish materials for, such as the Excelsior ASN and the ISU LPN to BSN, are not approved by boards of nursing in a few states, but that pertains to those specific programs and not to The College Network as we are a publishing company. Incidentally, if you live in a state where a particular program is not recognized by a board of nursing, we would not enroll you into that program.

Complaints filed with the BBB or an Attorney General's office are handled on an individual basis. In all honesty, those complaints represent far less than 1% of our total customer base. We have many satisfied and successful customers. Visit http://www.college-net.com/Testimonials.asp as proof. I read their stories and I am proud that we are able to help busy working adults further their educations and careers.

As previously stated, we would be happy to assist you. Please call 1-800-634-1443 and ask to speak to Heather. She is the manager of our Customer Care Unit. You could also provide me with your phone number or email address and I could have someone reach out to you.

Dear Rick,
    With upmost respect they DO tell you that you are receiving a Federal Grant, they DO tell you they are a College, and they do NOT tell you its a publishing company and nothing else. ITS A SCAM SIR! SCAMMING NURSES!!! THE COMPANY IS A FRAUD!!!

Jackie,

I am not exactly sure what was said when you met with your Program Advisor, but I can't believe that they would lie to you about information that is easily verifiable. Our enrollment paperwork, paperwork that you are asked to read and sign, states that we are not a college and we do not grant degrees. Why would someone tell you The College Network is a school and then present you with paperwork to the contrary?

Also, neither our paperwork nor our website mention federal grants. Obviously, if these were applicable to our portion of the program, they would be a wonderful sales tool and something we would certainly promote. For The College Network portion of your program, you are asked to either pay by cash, credit card, or take advantage of our guaranteed financing. It doesn't seem plausible that you would be told that your program would be paid for with a federal grant, while at the same time asking you to complete a loan application.

Again, without having more information than your first name I am unable to look at the specifics of your account. If you provide me with your phone number and/or the email address we have on file, I would be more than happy to investigate your allegations.

• Ta
      28th of Aug, 2009

Well i am currntly enrolled with the college network and so far the only complaint I have is about the rep who came out and did my enrollment & informed me on how to earn money by recommending a friend who enroll into a degree program. Her name is Imelda. So, I encouraged a family memeber to check out the program for herself and she did sign up for a degree program. And yes, Imelda was also the rep that went out to her home and did the enrollment process. My cousin informed her that I recommended her, and she said what seems to be the famous line of the college network. "I can't find her in our system." she was reassured that I was in the system and to check it out. Imelda later told my cousin that she would use a gentlemen by the name of Micheal as the person who recommended her. In turn my cousin encouraged her not to do so and immediately called me to tell me what was going on. I called the center and all they could tell me was that they were going to investigate. Until this day i'VE HEARD NO RESPONSE NOR SEEN A $200.00 CREDIT/CHECK. I will not recommend anyone else to the program nor will I ever speak of the college network.

Sincerly,
    Tauheedah

• La
      7th of Oct, 2009

I signed up for the college network about a year ago and have passed all my excelsior classes the first time!! The rep told me that they are not a college and that they were not affiliated with Excelsior which I did double check by calling Excelsior and it was true.

I can tell you what I expected and what I recieved from TCN:

I expected to get a book from TCN that was a summary of the multitude of books that Excelsior usually expects that you buy, read and study... it was an awesome summary of all the required topics from WELL QUALIFIED instructors... and yes I looked up each author along with their backgrounds via the internet, I'm that anal.

After taking 1mth to 3mths to study part time while I went to work full time I would go to Pearson Vue to take the test. Once I was done I would call TCN to send out the next summary book... that simple. Kaplan and other big name companies have summary courses for people wanting to take tests like the USMLE and MCAT and you pay for EXACTLY that a book or seminar that is a summary of the covered material as well as the important stuff highlighted.

My guy that came to the house to sell the program to me was very up front and honest about the program and I've had no problem so far with it.

HOWEVER the people who answer the phones to help tutor you are either, rude, lazy or just dont care. I stopped calling after my first two classes. One man had the gaul to chew his dinner the whole time we were on the phone. I even asked him to stop and he didnt. Supposidly the nurse tutor, if that person really did exist only came in one day a week and I did get a call back from that mystery person when I was a work... of course so I never did get ANY help in that regard. Luckly the summary books are well written so it didnt sink me that the resource center is a joke.

I only have one class left before I'm done with TCN and overall I'm satisfied. Laura Scola LPN, Florida, just in case someone needs my full first and last name to reference that fact that I am a current TCN LPN-RN student as of 10-7-09

• Mk
      3rd of Nov, 2017

@LauraLPN-RN Summary book? I never got these so called summary books

• Ta
      19th of Dec, 2009

HEY EVERYONE,

IT SEEMS THAT OLD RICK IS ALWAYS UNABLE TO LOCATE PEOPLE IN THE SYSTEM. PEOPLE ARE GIVING EXACT ACCOUNTS WITH DETAILED INFORMATION REGARDING THEIR INTERACTION WITH HIM, BUT HE JUST CAN'T LOCATE THEM IN HIS SYSTEM. I SUPPOSE THEY MUST BE MAKING IT UP. OR PERHAPS IT IS A STANDARD RETORT OF HIS IN THE EVENT THAT HE CAN'T THINK UP AN EXCUSE OR FABRICATION. Please I beg you people to just report them to the Indiana better business bureau. Rick cannot tell them he is "unable to locate that person in his system". TCN is the most horrific company that is somehow viable. They are betting on the fact people will trust them. Your best bet is to stop conversing with them and proceed with legal action.

19th of Dec, 2009

I am able to locate people as long as I have a telephone number, an email address, or a first and last name. Most people who post in these forums post using a made up name. If people contact the office directly (800.634.1443), then yes we can locate their account.

When I remark in this forum that I am unable to locate an account, it generally means that I cannot locate an account based on the information provided in their post. For example, you posted with the name "tame the shrew." That, unfortunately, is not enough information for me to locate an account. That is why I have posted my email address and the company phone number in several locations and asked that people contact me directly.

Please feel free to reach out to Customer Care if you are experiencing dissatisfaction with our products and/or services.

• Er
      24th of Dec, 2009

I am work as LPN in ER and getting my RN though College Network, and when I met with the rep he did tell me that they are publishing company, and about 3 day cancellation option, but my concern is that material that they provide is not enough for tests! I took Devalopmental Psych and I did get B at it, but I had to guess a lot on the test, A&P is the worst book I have ever seen, it jumps from subject to subject. I had to buy additonal books in order to be prepared, so that I can not only "pass the test", as they say, but understand and use it. I have never had any problem studying independantly, I never had to re-take any tests in LPN program (and that was "Nazi program :)), but I am really disapointed with the material that I recieved, and it's too late to cancell to everything and go just go to community college :(.

• We
      4th of Feb, 2010

The College Network Reps definitely need to know the rules and regulations of TNC. My wife was told that she could get out of her classes if she decided to take her first class and she couldn't do it. The rep said it would be "no problem". Well, she decided that she would feel more comfortable in an actual classroom setting so we called to cancel. "Well, there is a 4 class minimum that you have to take." the rep told us. He then gave us a 1-800 number to call. The academic advisers informed us that we had to pay back the entire loan! Who is lying to us???? We have been told 3 different things! So, just be aware of all of the fine print and don't let your rep come in and sale you this college. Take your time. Also, always check out the BBB website. Don't make the same mistake we did. Hopefully we can settle this dispute, I just don't want to pay $8, 000 for 1 class!

I HAVE STARTED A FACEBOOK PAGE CALLED THE COLLEGE NETWORK - BEWARE. BECOME A FAN AND POST YOUR STORIES! WE NEED EVERYONE TO SEE THESE!!! THE FACEBOOK PAGE CAN BE FOUND HERE: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-College-Network-BEWARE/285853579603?ref=ts&v=wall

• Lo
      12th of Feb, 2010

my problems go way farther than just the college network, like many others i had a good talking sales man in home talking with me and my husband. and yes just like everyone says the do tell you can get grants and aid, i belive i still have the paper work on it. so anywaz i was paying on the college network monthly and them my husband lost his job he was the only one working when i called them they said their was nothing they could do . my monthly payment was 172, i had four kids and needed every penny i had, so i closed my account sdo they could not debit it any more. i let it go into collection and one day a guy called me and threatinged to have my license (LVN)taken i had just gotten hired at a job, and with out my license would not be able to take the job. he also threaten to have my wages garnish by 40%. anywaz pushed into a cornner i felt traped and made arrangements with LOCKHART and MORRIS located in Tx, well yesterday i got a phone call from a detective, stated that my dept collector had comitted id theif with my atm card, so not only did college network screw me but so did their dept collector, as soon as i get all details i will be seeking leagal action, also anyone want to join me to start a class action let me know.

so he can't say i can't locate her here is my full name Kathryn Lopez

• Nu
      17th of Feb, 2010

The people that are posting these complaints do not even sound smart enough to be LPN/LVNs much less RNs...im glad this didnt work out for you...Id hate for you to be my nurse! I hope you spell better when doing your documentation. I hope you advise your pts to read before signing paperwork. Even if you dont- its pretty much common knowledge that you read before you sign anything...and you DID sign all these papers explaining the loan and the fact that TCN is not issuing you your degree. Dont blame someone else because you are unable to study independently or because you are unable to handle your finances! Accountability is a pretty big deal in nursing as in many other professions...including raising your 4 kids...

2nd of Mar, 2010

Taken for a Ride,

I too had a salesman whom came to my home and presented that the college network, was part of Excelsior College of New York, and I could actually go there to get my RN in a ceremony.
    The short story, I signed a contract for $6, 000.00 dollars plus interest.
    My husband is a disabled veteran with brain cancer.
    I then contacted Excelsior after the college network said i needed 5 classes and then sent me 10 classes.
    Excelsior College replied.

Dear Ms. ...,

We are NOT affiliated with the College Network. Please read the information below very carefully.

A Word of Caution
    Rev 8-21-07

There are tutorial firms, test preparation services, and for-profit publishing companies that sell materials with the claim that their materials will help students prepare for and pass Excelsior College Examinations. The College is not affiliated with any test preparation company and does not endorse the products or services of any test preparation organization.

Signed,
    Jacqueline
    Combat Veteran Nurse
    Taken For A Ride By the College Network.
    Anyone know a Lawyer?

• Je
      29th of Mar, 2010

I need to get out of the college network...anyone have any suggestions??? as of right now i am thinking of cahnging my bank account so they cant get their money... My credit will be shot but what else to do...I am a single mother of 3 who joined the college network in june of 09 wasnt told anything about time to reconsider or that college network wasnt a college but publisher...so 8 months later i am still paying 251 everything month for material I havent even once opened...HELP!!!

• Nu
      23rd of Jun, 2010

College network's paperwork is very clear. My wife and myself are enrolled in TCN LVN to ADN program. I believe the problem lies in those who sign up with them. Most people with complaints are those looking for a "get rich quick" scheme and not willing to put in the time it takes to self-learn. If all materials are read and studied, the tests are simple. The materials are composed in accordance with Excelsior guidelines (review testing curriculum on the Excelsior site). It is true many people have trouble teaching themselves and also financial issues play into the unrest. Like any bill you still have to pay even if you don't use the services. You buy a car- if you don't drive it, you can't just give it back and get your money back. If you buy a house... In college if you start classes and take out a student loan- you still have to pay the loan even if you drop the classes. I do believe that a reimbursement should be made available for unused portions of the program. In addition, I agree with other comments: If you are an LVN/ LPN and structure sentences and spell the way 90% of those with complaints did, I would be scared to have you as my nurse. LVN with 11 years down.