Sunwing Travel Group / vacation getaway to melia las dunas

416 vellore park ave, Toronto, ON, Canada
Phone: 6474024415

Dear Sunwing Airlines,

I would like to direct my concern to Sunwing in regards to the vacation package that was sold by your company and completely false based on your Vacation Package Description on the package brochures.

We travelled to Cuba for our family holiday beginning December 27, 2016 until January 3, 2017 at Melia Las Dunas, and our vacation was absolutely ruined due to the services provided throughout this resort .

I would like to start of by stating that this vacation had been very stressful and unpleasant starting from the first day. Upon arrival to the hotel, we had 2 rooms requested. As we entered the rooms, we noticed the strong scent of mold right away. Having a daughter with severe allergies to mold, I quickly had to return to the lobby, tip the staff and made a request in changing rooms, we got denied due to no rooms being available. Also, there was no water throughout the whole resort. We were unable to wash our hand or go to the bathroom after such a long travel period. This was a horrifying start to our vacation. We had 4 people sleeping on one king sized bed, since no one was able to accommodate us with a decent normal room, as we expected, especially for the amount paid. Once we had dropped off our luggage we headed to the buffet. First off all, it had been mentioned on your Sun wing website that there are 2 buffets available, meanwhile we realize that only one is open. For a resort this massive with 925 rooms, one buffet is definitely nowhere near enough to accommodate that many people. The buffet opened at 1pm, and we got there at 1:25 ready to have lunch after such a long travel period, but the lineup was endless, approximately a 45-50 minute wait. We had no choice other than waiting.
Once you receive a seat, it only got worse. The amount of food they put out is not even close to being enough for the people in the resort they have. Once your entering and starting to search for food I can firmly say there is completely no food that is eatable, especially for families travelling with a kid. Numerous staff put their hands in food, licked their hands and put their hands in the food we were “supposed” to eat. This is completely unacceptable. It felt like we were animal on this trip, rather than people saving up to go on an unforgettable getaway. As I approached to the salad bar, there was nothing other than onions and green peppers. Once asking the staff to bring at least something, they declare they ran out. As I approach the pasta bar to feed my younger son, I notice they are mixing different pasta together which have complete different taste, and looked so uneatable. My daughter headed over to the grill section, waiting for 55 minutes in line with toxic air because the fan wasn’t working, she got a tiny piece of chicken which was half raw!!! It is completely uneatable at this buffet, and we were unable to find any food due to the limited amount for so many people! Once our server came to us, I asked for juice for my younger son and got told that they only serve pop. I was completely shocked as a mother, since there is no way a little kid can be drinking pop for the next 7 days. There was no juice anywhere on the resort!!! This was completely opposite of what you provided in the vacation brochure about this 4 star resort’s services. Well with empty stomachs and an upset mind, I decide to just leave and head over to the beach to at least enjoy that. Around 5:00pm we head back to only one of the usable room we have, and notice that the AC is completely broken and there was no water at all, meaning we are unable to shower. As a part of our stay, in the Sunwing brochure it states that all rooms are equipped with WORKING AC. I call the reception desk to state both of our problems, and they mention that no one has water and their unsure as to when the problem will be resolved. WHAT?!?! How were we unable to clean ourselves off after being on a sandy beach. We patiently waited, expecting that the water would hopefully come back within a few hours. There was still no water in the evening so we go to the lobby bar, requesting a few bottles of water, in an angry tone both staff say they don’t have, they can only serve us a glass of water, and that one bottle of water was put in every room per day, per family. The one main point going through my mind at this point, is how is the food prepared when there is completely no water on the property. At this point, one of our days has been wasted and completely non enjoyable. By the morning, there was still no water so at this point I was not going to tolerate this, we were unable to brush our teeth, use the washroom and unable to shower and use the washroom. After several hours of stating my problem to the Sunwing representative, there was completely no change, so I had to get guest services involved as well. During breakfast, there was such a limited amount of dairy products, that my young little son ended up being hungry. After long hours of arguments, by the afternoon we had finally all agreed upon getting switched over to Melia Cayo Santa Maria. Due to no drinks available for younger children, the next day he broke out into an allergy due to the amount of concentrate, acid and caffeine in the drink. Now one of my biggest concerns about this trip has to do with all of my families health. Around the 4th day of our vacation we started to noticed bites on our body. As the days progressed the bits continued and became extremely itchy. My younger son who is 4, was covered with bites all over the back of his body and some in the front. The bites kept worse and spread throughout the body, and other health issues started happening to us. The first thing we did upon arrival back home, was to go to the closest walk in clinic. We were told that we got bed bugs in Cuba, and I find this completely UNACCEPTABLE! We are able to provide you documentation and confirmation from an MD about all health issues and pictures by request of this horrifying and brutal trip. The negative comments are endless including unsanitary washrooms, unsafe food handling practices, unlivable standards in room due to scent. unrelenting stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhea all due to the unsafe health aspect in both of these resorts. I am left in complete shock and find it completely unfair to pay such as huge amount of money as receive this type of vacation.
You as a travel company, have a responsibility to provide all the elements of the package contracted for as they were described. We are legally entitled to receive refund from you for loss of value, consequential losses and for the disappointment and loss of enjoyment we suffered. As you failed to provide us with the holiday we booked we are seeking a compensation from you for the problems we encountered, and for the distress and disappointment we suffered as a result.
I few months ago we travelled with your airline to Punta Cana, and that can definitely be called a vacation. Everything that was stated on the Sun wing website in regards to the resort, was present (AC, Variation of food, accuracy in the amount of restaurants, drinks for all people, phenomenal services, clean room etc). This was the main reason as to why we returned back to Sun wing for our next vacation, we believed all of the information stated on your website, which turned into a very unfortunate travel and loss of trust on what is stated on your website. We look forward to travelling in the future, and hope this issue gets resolved, so that we are able to continue travelling with Sunwing to vacation which will be positively unforgettable.
I look forward to receiving a response from you soon
Yours sincerely,