Summer Bay Resort / They just scammed me

It is now 9:45pm in Illinois. Summer Bay just called a few hours ago and gave me a package for 4 days in Orlando, 3 days in Daytona and 5 days in Costa Rica! Sounds great to me! But not that I have read all of the blogs on here I'm beginning to think this is all one big scam!!! I'm only 19 and Tamara knew that but I read the terms and conditions and they say I have to be 23. Ms. Kathy Maxwell confirmed everything and the money has been taken out of my acct. $9.95 for a processing fee and $99 for the all inclusive Costa Rica trip. I still haven’t gotten my conformation email, but when I went to the mysummerbay.com website and put in my phone number and email all of my vacation pkgs are there and confirmed. I'm not sure what to do.

Va

Comments

• Ly
      5th of Jul, 2008

Like you I just bought the vacation and am extremely worried. Is there any positive feedback from anyone?? should we try to cancel the charge?

LP

9th of Aug, 2008

Yes, you can file a complaint to the BBB & Florida State Law. They will make the package sound like it's from heaven, trust me. Don't bother trying to call them to get some reassurance because they will bribe you with a few more destinations. The thing is, you are not being offered that big nice resort you are seeing - they will send you to a less than 2 star moldy hotel that is far far away from the Disney World. They will make you sit through what they call a 1.5hr presentation, you can be assure that you'll be spending at least 4 hours of your vacation listening to the bogus sales reps. If you're lucky, you'll come out of there not buying anything. But they are so manipulative that you'll fall into their trap and if you end up paying tens of thousands of dollars for a timeshare, you're stuck forever. Please don't do that to yourself and your hard earned money. Prevent from any headaches by just disassociate yourself with this unethical business. Who would want to spend half a day of their vacation wasted on some sort of sales presentation??? You'll feel lied to and betrayed because they only promised you it's 1.5 hrs, but trust me, you won't be able to leave after 1.5 hr.

Another thing you must be careful is about their hidden fees. I didn't realized that until I tried to book a vacation. I too, thought I am getting a deal of a lifetime. But I'm forced to pay a ridiculous out of this world transportation fee provided by Summer Bay. I am NOT even allow to get my own transportation, if I insist on not paying them and get my own transportation from the airport to the hotel, they told me then I cannot travel and take the package. What kind of rule is that? This means they can jib you off and yet you still have to pay for a transportation fee that is apparently a rip off? Ask very carefully because you'll end up paying a $15 per night BOOKING FEE, I'm not talking about hotel taxes (which is another thing you have to pay). Anyways, booking fee??? What is that? They said it's to reserve your room. So my question is, you will pay a penalty if you book and not show up. You'll end up paying hundreds of dollars for not showing up. BUT if you show up, you'll have to pay to reserve your room??? You're being penalized left and right. By the way, all of these fees I mentioned, Booking Fee and Mandatory Transportation provided by Summer Bay was NOT mentioned in the Terms and Conditions. I'm not sure what other hidden fees are there, only if I get to talk to them again because everytime I asked something or question something they cannot provide a reasonable or legit answer, they will hang up on me.

If you add everything up, you'll end up paying way more than if you were to go through a real vacation company - AND you'll end up having to waste your time in a timeshare presentation. Think twice before you really want to deal with them. Many people out there felt betrayed by Summer Bay (including myself). I am giving up and rather lose my money on my purchased vacation package than travel with them. They cannot pay me enough to have to deal with them. If you need further clarification, feel free to contact me.

• Ke
      13th of Aug, 2008

If you do what the representative said, you will have no problems. I've traveled with the company, took their tour and was given everything as promised.

• Do
      22nd of Aug, 2008

We got rooked into the vacation package of a lifetime only to be very very dissappointed and disgusted with Summer Bay Resort and the Summer Bay Rewards Program that we got talked into. You are supposed to get $3000 cruise rewards dollars, $3000 hotel rewards dollars and $3000 resort dollars to be used anytime. But when you go to use them, you can only go certain places and only certain cruises and they tell you that they are the cheapest because they are one of the biggest inventories worldwide- DO NOT BELIEVE IT. And you can only use a certain amount per trip- which you do not get told that up front!!! And unless you want to only go to SummerBayResort in Fla, you have to pay a transfer fee everytime you go anywhere else- even their own other resort sites.
    Also, you have to buy into RCI points system which is another fee, and the rewards points is another fee, FEES FEES FEES everywhere you turn with Summer Bay. Do not be brainwashed like we were!!! Wish we had never heard of them or took the free vacation (HA HA) they gave us to come down and got took to the cleaners afterwards.

• Re
      2nd of Sep, 2008

My husband and I will be taking our 1st summer bay trip for our 2nd anniversary in Oct.
    I will return to this blog to tell you how it works out.
    So far i have no complaints.
    I've received every confirmation email as promised and have talked to kind staff each time I've called.
    But i will let you know how things work out.
    "A newbie"

3rd of Sep, 2008

I also am a newbie and so far I have been very pleased with my customer service as well. I was offered this promotion when my husband and I signed up for Dish Network. We were told about the $15.00 fees through the rep at Dish Network. In our agreement we were offered a rental car for 7 days so I have not heard anything about the transportation fees that were talked about. My husband and I mainly only plan on sleeping in the hotel because we have trips planned while we are staying in FL and I know that we won't be staying at the actual resort but I am really worried about staying in a rat motel now. We are using both the Orlando and Daytona Beach pkg in the same week and I we have to sit through the presantation at both places...I am bummed now because we are going to waste more than just 3 hrs on it like I thought. We booked our trip for March 2009 and now I just have a sick stomach thinking that we just got scammed. I am anxious to hear what Renee has to say when she gets back.

• Se
      19th of Nov, 2008

I DIDNT EVEN GET MY CONFIRMATION EMAIL!! and when i checked my online bank account, 99.98 is gone without saying who or where it went to. SCAMMED!

• Ka
      17th of Jul, 2010

Last night i purchased this amazing once in a life time 1/100 callers vaction package through summer bay. i feel like an idiot. i have already been scammed on a car for $3, 600 last fall and now if this is a scam i am going to freak out on Florida. the car sale i purchased was through Miami. some one PLEASE tell me if this is a real scam or not!! I have names of the people too. asked a million questions to provide evidence that this is not a scam. I was TRANSFERRED to their company after purchasing "secret camis" lol. I tried getting on to check my confirmation but there is not "user name, " just a OWNER name and password and i cannot figure out how else to get into "MY" account. I will check for a confirmation email now. I have not booked anything yet but they DO have all my credit card information. =/ I am extremely worried. I dont have this kind of money to lose =( They also told me a trip to orlando, daytona, bahamas, and threw in spain!

• Ju
      9th of Nov, 2010

I purchased my Timeshare in Las Vegas, I just received my annual Maintenance Fee statement, instead of $465.00, they have now added a Reserve Fee stating -as a result of prior years' accumulated surpluses, a Reserve component was not assessed for the past two years, however with the completion of the renovation, a professional Reserve Study was completed and a reserve funding of $73.00 has been assessed for this year in accordance with your Association's Governing Document and Nevada Statutes which require an accumulation of funds for future major repairs and replacements. And to top it off, they want to threaten the owners for payments. Did we vote for these crooks to build a 12, 000 square foot Administration Building ? What does this Reserve Fee have to do with my fee, any dummy can see what they're trying to do. Let them pay for their new building, seeing as they're the ones enjoying it. Then they want you to volunteer a donation of another $3.00 per year. I will contact my lawyers first, because this was never apart of the contract I signed for when I bought my unit. Judy Bro

• Ha
      6th of Feb, 2011

My fianc'e and I had a wonderful time traveling with Summer Bay. We have visited Gatlinsburg TN, Orlando FL and we are on our way to Costa Rica.

• Bo
      9th of Apr, 2011

We actually were very excited and went to Costa Rica. The website showed beautiful rooms and lovely landscape. Also when we booked the dates, their contract said that they would pick us up at the Liberia airport. (This is a smaller airport closer to the resort. The available flights are fewer and about $200 more per ticket.) We gave the time and flight number and they never showed up. So we had to pay $50 to a taxi to drive us to the resort. The girl running the time share promotion said she was not told when we were arriving and refused to reimburse us. Also, the rooms that are on the website are not the ones they give you. I was not only very disappointed, but disgusted. There were bugs in the bathroom and the room was extremely small and the beds very small and uncomfortable. The toilet wouldn't flush, there was no closet space, no clock in the room, and there was only enough hot water for 3 minutes in the shower. Because we arrived a day late they extended the stay by one day, but never told us. But when we were checking out, and they told me, the thought of spending another night in that room was completely horrifying. We were very uncomfortable. I was happy to leave. I bought the Orlando trip, but probaby won't go after listening to the other comments. The upside was that the resort staff were very friendly and the food was very good.