Suddenlink Communications — sent final bill to collection agency

Due to a move where they did not provide service, I closed my suddenlink internet/cable service this past may 28, 2014. I was told to mail my rented equipment to their nearest store, then I would receive my 'final' bill in the mail at my p. O. Box on file with them. Today, 6 weeks later, I received their 'final' bill of $72 through a collection agency!! This was after I had paid them $120+ monthly on a timely basis for the 16 months I used their service. When I called to ask them why they didn't send the bill to me or call me before they sent it to the collection agency, I was told they had mailed three bills to my address on file, none of which ever showed up in my mailbox which I check everyday except sunday. I find it odd that they would really mail three statements in a six week period. I also find it odd that mail correctly addressed and sent to a working p. O. Box would not show up in the box on three separate occasions. Finally, when I asked what phone number they tried calling, she gave me a number that had a wrong area code. I hung up the phone with the thought that maybe they tried calling me one time using the wrong number—they used 837 for the area code instead of 831. When they couldn't contact me through that wrong number, then they sent the bill directly to the collection agency. I don't believe any letters were ever sent to me. It's wrong that suddenlink has a policy of sending final bills directly to a collection agency without first contacting the customer.

Jr
Jul 15, 2014

Comments

Jul 22, 2010
    Suddenlink Communications - Refuse to help customers
    Suddenlink Communications

Suddenlink customer support refuses to help troubleshoot their email customers who have been absorbed through the purchase of smaller companies.

• Su
      Jul 23, 2010

Hi - My name is Tina and I am with Suddenlink. I would be happy to try and help troubleshoot your email. Please contact me at tina-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thanks!

• Su
      Jul 28, 2014

Hi J.R. - My name is Ashley, and I'm with Suddenlink. I'm sorry to hear that your experience with us was less than exceptional. If there's anything I can do to help, please feel free to contact me directly at socialsupport-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thank you.

• Th
      Aug 16, 2014

When you pay that bill mail a money order and keep all the paper work for life. They will resell the debt in 10 years and then it will be collections all over again

• Li
      Aug 29, 2018

I returned all of my equipment and disconnected service on 6/27. I received a receipt for my equipment, however, Suddenlink expected me to pay $177 for 6/21 to 7/21. Because most cable companies pro-rate service, I expected to get a bill somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 for the 6 days of actual service. I sent a check for $50 and refuse to pay for service I did not use regardless of what they "consider billing service". I have excellent credit - never late or behind on any bills - BUT, I absolutely refuse to be bullied on this one. They accepted the $50 payment and have sent the balance to collection. So be it. My husband has cancer and is dying. This is the least of my worries!! TY, Suddenlink - I do not have to deal with you in our current location. BTW, CableOne prorated our bill and charged me $31 for the 6 days of service here before our month started. SMH Suddenlink is one of the worst cable companies I have ever dealt with. (Our service was out for 2-3 days with no explanation or compensation.)

• Jb
      Oct 03, 2019

Good on you for not paying this garbage. Don't EVER pay for something you do not owe. Take their ridiculous collection agency letter and shred it. They can't make you pay either. Collection agencies can't make you pay something you do not owe.