Star Alliance / pricing

1 goanywhere857@gmail.comSan Diego, CA, United States

I compared Star Alliance fares for a 'round the world trip beginning on April 13, 2010, from San Diego, California, USA, to Shanghai, China. Second segment was from Delhi, India, to Tbilisi, Georgia, on June 15, 2010. Third segment was from Tbilisi, Georgia, to Copenhagen, Denmark, on June 24, 2010. Final segment was from Copenhagen, Denmark, to San Diego, California, USA on July 25, 2010.

Although I am a frequent flier member on more than one of the Star Alliance participants, I was very disappointed to find that I could arrange my own flights, with various airlines (all dependable and some Star Alliance members) to cover the same destinations on the same dates for approximately 60% of the cost of the Star Alliance quoted economy fare.

I contacted Star Alliance with questions as to what were the benefits of using their services on this excursion. They contacted me and asked me to telephone their customer service department, which I did. The resultant conversation did nothing to assuage my problem, but insisted that Star Alliance was the "best of all" opportunities for 'round the world travel. I will encourage all fliers I know to (certainly) explore other flight opportunities before booking any 'round the world excursions with the Star Alliance system! What the Star Alliance advertises as a (price) beneficial method of circling the globe is nothing more than meaningless puffery and falsification!

Sincerely