Sprint / illegal automatic additional agreement

I am hoping someone could help me. I will try to make my situation as short as possible and maybe you could help me or point me in the right direction. I was a sprint customer for over 6 years. My contract ended 9/06. I did not renew. I did call in Dec 06 regarding my bill and to discuss my phone not working well after a 2-year period.

I changed service May 07. I shortly received a bill from Sprint for early cancellation; $200 per phone (I have 3 phone lines). I attempted to contact Sprint several times and was either disconnected, told the system was down for maintenance, or just could not get through because I did not have an account number.

I called a local store and was transferred to a talking person at Sprint. This manager told me that when I talked with them in Dec 06 and inquired about my phone that that conversation was an agreement to contract for additional 2-years. And that they sent a mailer regarding a 10% savings and because I did not respond to the mailer, that it was silent agreement that I contract with them for additional 2-years.

I am wondering if there is a class action suit and would like information on joining. I did not sign an agreement nor did I give verbal agreement for additional 2-years. When I originally signed on with Sprint, it was for a 2-year period. I was never explained about this "automatic" additional 2-year agreement.

Advise smb what to do!

Comments

• Ga
      23rd of Aug, 2007

I am dealing with almost that same problem right now! However, I contacted Sprint several times got names and ID numbers of service reps who said they removed the INVOLUNTARY contract extension and I would NOT be charged a termination fee. I even got a email response from a rep. But guess what?? My bill came and there is the 200 termination fee!!! I wrote letters to their billing and customer service departments and am now going to send letters to as many "higher ups" I can locate!!! This is ridiculous!!!

23rd of Sep, 2007

I used to work for Sprint in the actual retail store. I can't speak for their current practices, but I can tell you some things from my experience there.

1. About 5 years ago, they used to change plans without renewing contracts. They changed that policy while I worked there. At the time (again, I can't speak for now), the information regarding the contract renewal was included on all literature regarding plans, and it wasn't just in the fine print.

2. Just having a conversation with them does not mean they renew your contract. However, when changing your plan, they do have a script they are supposed to read that includes the contract renewal. If you say yes after this script, they're covered.

3. All reps are supposed to write a note in each account they access and provide a short description of why they accessed the account. Unfortunately, it's possible that some reps lie in the notes.

4. When you change a plan in the computer, it automatically extends the contract, so any rep who tells you they can waive that probably hasn't been properly trained.

I hope this helps! Good luck.

• Ni
      4th of Dec, 2007

Hi,

I was wondering if you had your issues resolved w/Sprint... How did it turn out. That sounds very similar to what I just went through w/ them. My husband and I have been w/ them for a lil' over 4 years. Last year we added a 3rd line; We did a transfer of liability and separated our lines. All along, I've had to call Sprint every other month for "unauthorized" add-ons... Text, etc. I made a habit of checking the bill every month and constantly had to call in for credits. The reps are very rude and unprofessional! They disconnect calls purposely! They added a 3rd line to my acct... One of the reps said she could not figure out who/what/when/where it happened. I had no calls showing TO or FROM that number. Now, how do you explain that. It took from July to Now for me to get this resolved. I had to file a dispute w/the BBB. I was given someone's number while the dispute was going on to have my bill placed on hold... I called numerous times and NEVER received a call back. It took over a month for me to finally speak to someone in that department! They ended up disconnecting my service! And now they are trying not to give me my deposit back which I am entitled to. I can not believe the unprofessionalism. The dishonesty! A large company like SPRINT and they are full of BS. I will not EVER do business w/them or any of their affiliates again! They made this process long and drawn out... They are HORRIBLE!!!

• Ro
      16th of Jan, 2008

I AM NOW EXPERIENCING THE SAME WITH SPRINT. AFTER CHECKING WITH THE STORE I ORIGINALLY PURCHASED THE CELL PHONES, THEY ADVISED ME THAT MY CONTRACT WAS UP IN NOV 2007. I CALLED SPRINT IN DECEMBER TO CANCEL. AND THEY GAVE ME THE SAME TREATMENT, NOT TALKING TO ME AND SENDING ME TO OTHERS. THEY SAID THAT MY ACCOUNT WAS NOT IN THEIR SYSTEM AND I WOULD HAVE TO CHECK LATER. I DID SEVERAL DAYS LATER AND THEY HAD ME UNDER ANOTHER ACCOUNT NUMBER, WHICH THEY REINSTATED ON THEIR OWN. SINCE I CANCELLED MY ACCOUNT, I AM NOW GETTING THREATING LETTERS ABOUT SENDING MY ACCOUNT TO THEIR COLLECTION AGENCIES FOR EARLY TERMINATION FEE OF $465.99. I WAS NEVER LATE WITH MY MONTHLY PAYMENTS. I HAVE FILED A CONSUMER COMPLAINT WITH OUR ATTORNEY GENERAL IN PENNSYLVANIA. I AM THINKING VERY HARD ON CONTACTING AN ATTORNEY FOR BEING A VICTIM OF THEIR FRADULENT BEHAVOIR.

• We
      28th of Apr, 2010

I am in the same boat - I signed a 2-year agreement with Pivot in November 2007. Pivot went away in une 2010 and the accounts were moved to Sprint. I never got a new phone or signed anything, but they extended my contract to June 2010. I found this oput when I disconnected in February 2010 and was charged a $200 ETF. I disputed it, but they basically said pay it or we ruin your credit. I paid it because I do not have the time or energy to sit on the phone with them for hours about this and see my credit ruined. They have very shady business practices - how I can be in a 2-year agreement without clicking anytbing or signing anything is beyond me. They said once I used the phone I agreed to the 2-year agreement. I will NEVER do business with them again, no matter what. I will go without a cell phone rather than give them another dime.