[Resolved] Spokeo / membership
Spokeo flagged my account as being in violation of their TOS, then banned me for life, all because I answered a survey question in 3 seconds without understanding it was a lifetime binding contract.
Upon logging in, I presented with what I interpreted as a survey, and responded with the reasons I believed Spokeo would be useful to people. One of my responses included, "tenant screening, " which is a violation of their TOS. The problem is this: I never used Spokeo for tenant screening and never would (that is what credit reports and criminal background checks are for). Mostly, I used Spokeo to check how much of my personal life is discover able online.
In any case, my explanation was not good enough for Spokeo and they are standing by their permanent closure of my account because it was "flagged."
It makes absolutely no sense that answering a survey question could have such long-term and bizarre consequences.
Their survey question needed a clear warning at the top of the page. Alternatively, if there was no warning of possible consequences, their system could have presented me with a pop-up after I submitted the survey response with strong, clarifying language and required me to affirm acceptance of their TOS (e.g. language such as, "you indicated that Spokeo would be useful for tenant screening, but Spokeo does not permit usage for that purpose as we are not covered by FCRA. Please confirm that you will not use Spokeo for tenant screening by clicking 'I Accept' below.")
This whole experience makes me dread that Spokeo exists at all. We should not grant such extraordinary power to organizations that treat us as if we are so insignificant. If they can't be decent to their customers, they shouldn't have any customers at all.
That's my two cents.
Customer care service did everything in their power to resolve this complaint. All attempts to contact the complainant have failed. Therefore, this complaint has been annulled and must not be considered where image of the company in question and it's services are concerned.
Spokeo Customer Care's Response, Apr 03, 2017
Unfortunately, your account has been found in violation to the above named terms. For additional information please visit http://www.spokeo.com/terms-of-use-consumer.
Spokeo Customer Care
More Spokeo Complaints & Reviews
- [Resolved] Spokeo Online Service - deceptive advertising and ripoff 
- [Resolved] Spokeo.com - billing nightmare 
- [Resolved] Spk Spokeo - unauthorized credit card charges 
- [Resolved] Spokeo.com - they will not give you a refund when you discover their site is a scam 
- Spokeo.com - spokeo deception 
- [Resolved] Spokeo - spokeo
- [Resolved] Spokeo.com - my opinion of them couldn't be worse
- [Resolved] Spokeo.com - spokeo is fraudulent and a scam
- [Resolved] Spokeo.com - every phone number I typed in came back to the wrong person
- [Resolved] Spokeo - .95 one time charge turned into $19.99 reoccurring charge?