Complaints & Reviews

Web of Trust mywot.comFalse Reporting

Web of Trust provides a good stated mission but their rating system is flawed either by design or by their moderators running the show. They remove comments and create personal opinions about website to purposely rate them lower. Trying to argue against their accusations only causes more troubles and more lies about your website. Do not register or verify your website there. You will be in their crosshairs. Research mywot and you will see countless stories about the same thing and exact same users posting slanderous accusations. On CNET a high level user even admits this, and takes joy out of doing it.

• WOT May 14, 2013

We don't edit/remove users' comments unless the comments contain bad language or attacks our users. The comments represent the views of the users who posted them.

Requesting WOT community site review is voluntary, but recommended in case if site owner would like to get feedback from WOT users.

We realize the average web user isn't a security professional and we don't expect them to go out and investigate random websites for safety. We have an active group of experienced users who review sites for technical safety and help the average user avoid security threats. We only expect users to share their experiences with the websites they already know, because they are uniquely qualified to do that. Being able to learn from other people's experiences is the whole reason for this service.

MyWOTmywot is a scam

mywot is a total scam. I installed the toolbar and it has shown 6 of my long term regular website as spam. Totally ridiculous and annoying. I then went and tried to find out why they would rate them as spam and i find out that a small group of people (10-20) on the site go around ranking 1000 sites per day, yet they dont even open the site or try the site. crazy but true. There are literally thousands of people online complaining about the mywot toolbar.
So i try to delet the toolbar from my browser and now the entire computer is slow. waste of time mywot..
beware of mywot and definitely don't download their toolbar.. useless.

Judy Wei May 29, 2013

I first went to this website to leave a comment for another website that was false reported. This then brought attacks to my website. I dont see a way to have your website's reputation improved after their high level users slander it. You will just be marked as spam if you try to comment favorably. Support does nothing to help. They do more on here to try and hide these comments.

MYWOT has now been shown to BUY FACEBOOK likes from two suppliers online

MYWOT has now been shown to BUY FACEBOOK likes from two suppliers online.

MYWOT, a small company who has recently been caught buying Facebook likes from two suppliers online has had 24% of their likes removed by FACEBOOK.

Facebook also has since removed MYWOT as a partner due to unscrupulous activities found to be " not trustworthy" by Facebook executives.
" The decision to cancel our relationship with MYWOT is unfortunate, however, Facebook has found evidence of manipulation of companies on the MYWOT system. Facebook acknowledges that MYWOT has a open forum rated by internet peers, however the ranking system has substantial flaws. " Google executive Matt Cohler states.
Matt Cohler continues to state that " Facebook will be more careful in the future in regards to partnerig with companies such as MYWOT."

MYWOT has been falling in popularity over the past 12 months as more and more and more users realize that their rating system is systematically flawed.

Web of Trust Oct 23, 2012

This post appears to be completely fictional. Our partnership with Facebook has not changed since it was announced a bit over a year ago. We haven't bought Facebook likes and see no reason for anyone to do so. The number of likes on our Facebook page has not decreased either.

Safe surfing,
    The WOT team

MyWOTRating of my website

This company has unfairly rated my website poor or very poor reputation, there is nothing wrong with my website and it is stupid how they can get away with it! BTW My websites are: http://www.mitchelldownes.co.uk, http://www.mitchelldownes.tk and http://mitchelldownes.goodluckwith.us
If you have an account, please rate it excellent :)
Thanks!

Judy Wei May 29, 2013

Mywot.com — Rude staff when you report the problems to them

1) Mass rating system. One platinum member can turn a website reputation down from Green to RED!. People rating websites are not customers to write reviews. 2) Some users attack...

Mywot.comMost of the reviews on there are untrue, and shouldn't be trusted

The site markets it self as a fair place for websites to be reviewed. Well, I'm afraid that this ain't the case! The site offers a top 10 reviewers table, which has resulted in huge amounts of negative reviews, on perfectly safe sites.

Their customer service is non-the-better, and they often reply with the default 'please resolve this issue with the reviewer'

Most of the reviews on there are untrue, and shouldn't be trusted.

ThaiMed May 06, 2013

False statments were made about our website by highlevel users after verifying. Trying to argue back only caused more trouble and more lies.

Web and Media Apr 21, 2017

MyWOT.com is an extortion website, it seems they are on a long term plan, sooner or later they will ask for subscription to keep your website reputation good.
    You are absolutely right, those shadowy and wicked staff hide behind some fancy avatars. Let us all start by rating their App with 1* at Google Play.
    I can not understand who gave them the authority to play judge and God and prosecute honest people's websites, then use their chrome plug-in and Google Playstore App to steal your browsing history and mobile information. Firefox has banned their plugin
    Great Article - Thank you.

MyWOTMyWOT is Scam - Proof Available

I can prove that mywot is a scam. Users of MyWOT, those who are given extra right by the management of myWOT to rate websites (Each of their rating is equal to 1000 of normal people ratings) found on Freelancer.com selling their service. They take down competitors by leaving negative ratings or they improve your website rating. Mr.Sami Tolvanen, What do you have to say now? We are criminals and bad guys complaining about your scam website? Or your GOLD, Platinum users are the bad ones? The truth cannot be concealed forever. We let the world know what's going on in MYWOT.com

Please check the attached image.

MyWOT is Scam - Proof Available

• Sunrise-Girl Apr 20, 2012

More screenshots for your preview.

Alian123 Jun 12, 2012

Lot of frustrated people out there who don’t know what to do with all the bad rating mywot gives them. Here are some who are trying to do some about it - http://mywot-reviews.info/

• Gl
    glorysurgery May 05, 2013

Similar problem. We wasted so much time trying to voice our argument and prove the lies they said about us were not true. Only to find out our comments get deleted and theirs get moved to the top.

ThaiMed May 06, 2013

Good job on documenting. We spent so much time trying to argue and voice our objections to the slander that came our way, when we should have done what you did.

• Es
    estandards Oct 28, 2013

agreee, my WOT, is really a rubbish, they have give their comments even before we establish our website, for other website: e-standard.org, some of my customers standard up to see good things but they still give low rate, www.e-standard.org have a low rate, this is really ridiculous, MyWot is really bad.

MyWOT TrustSealMyWOT ratings are biased.

It seems that this MyWOT.com is going far far beyond ruining reputation of legitimate and well-known businesses. They're trying to write as much negative reviews as possible against website on the net to grasp the attention of the business owners. Once the business owner contact them about the false reviews, they ask him/her to go to their forum and beg for another evaluation. Sounds fun right?

The funny part is that when the business owner goes there and ask for re-evaluation, he will get bunch of middle fingers from their power members (somehow like staff i can say), so the business rating will remain the same or gets worse. Many of our business partners have been attacked by these power members before. By the way, they call whoever complain to them CRIMINAL! ..

We are in the process of filing a lawsuit for libeling, against them in Finland. Another ridiculous thing is that the management of MyWOT.com thinks no one can touch them since they are in Finland, so they are happily defaming and libeling businesses based mainly in the US.

Do not trust MyWOT ratings and uninstall their add-on if you already have it installed on your Safari, Chrome, Firefox browser.

Feel free to share your experiences on this website (below this complaint).

• Ge
    GeekReview Apr 18, 2012

AVG Safety Badge is so much better...and free

ThaiMed May 06, 2013

We realized later that this was the game. We made considerable efforts to voice our concern and post rebuttals to no avail. It just made matters worse.

Mywot.comMywot is abused by people who scour the internet looking for worldviews that they disagree with

Mywot is abused by people who scour the internet looking for worldviews that they disagree with. One of their regulars told me that I was a quack for teaching meditation and that he should have given me all red flags, but he "was in a good mood." So, he gave me yellow ratings which means that I might be ripping off old ladies and hijacking their bank accounts. He also bragged about taking down an antivaccination website and a creationism site because of their views. This is a widespread practice in Web of Trust. All you need to do is look at their forum conversations, and you'll see that these people are taking down anyone who says anything that disagrees with them. I only found out about the site because a woman refused to turn in an article she specifically wrote for my blog because she was getting red flags. I spend hours contacting customers who could hopefully fix the problem.

ThaiMed May 06, 2013

We learned this the hard way as well. We listed there because we thought we were adding our website to a reputable group. It was nothing as the mission statement of the websites claims.

Web and Media Apr 21, 2017

Mywot.comJust another extortion scam site

Just another extortion scam site, i have a website that has never even been used and it has a very bad reputation already on MyWot, when i emailed them to rectify it they asked for money.Nothing but out and out cyber criminals.

• Ih
    I hate MyWot.com Mar 31, 2012

Check out www.host-file.net

I think Sami Tolvanen and his gang are are bunch of crooks that should be in jail!

WARNING! WWW. MYWOT.COM AKA WEB OF TRUST HAS A POOR REPUTATION

Marcus78 Apr 18, 2012

Forget about Mywot dude, the future is avgthreatlabs.com. U should try their free safety badge (link: http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/free-tools/widget/safety-badge/) and forget about weird ratings from those guys

• Sunrise-Girl Apr 20, 2012

Proof that MyWOT is running by spammers . Check the attached file please.

Alian123 May 21, 2012

If you don’t buy their trust tools you will get a bad rating. Check out all the guys who are protesting this - http://mywot-reviews.info/

ThaiMed May 06, 2013

Unfortunately we read this information too late.

Mywot.comLoads cookies and spyware automatically if you visit

LOADS COOKIES AND SPYWARE AUTOMATICALLY IF YOU VISIT!

Clean out all memory caches and up your security, then visit site and you will see it tries to download files to your compuer with no explanation, unlike other sites that tell you what they are doing. EVIL MONEY MAKING SCHEME, INTERNET EXTORTION AND BLACKMAIL

One of their spammers loaded my sites and there is no recourse. DO NOT SEND FRIENDS TO RATE YOU. That is their scam. Then they load themselves in their browser without permission or warning.

Web and Media Apr 21, 2017

This is an extortion website, it seems they are on a long term plan, sooner or later they will ask for subscription to keep your website reputation good.
    Great Article - Thank you.

WOT (Web of Trust) mywot.comWOT (web of trust) is a SCAM!

just uninstalled WOT (after having it for one week), and I urge everyone to do the same. Let me explain why. WOT is a very subtle and deceptive way to censor the internet, it is one of the worst systems I have ever seen. It puts sites down based simply on politics and world view. Try posting a NEGATIVE review of WOT and you’ll be red in no time. It claims that sites are rated based on objective criteria (Trust, Vendor Reliability, Family Safety, Privacy). But instead, it flags left wing sites green, and flags conservative sites orange-red.

For example, Check Sarah Palin's site. Now I don't like Sarah Palin personally, but her site is rated low on privacy, as if she would sell your email addresses...REALLY? What a lie. Sarah Palin's website is absolutely completely and 100% safe in regards to Vendor Reliability and Privacy (this is objective truth WOT is completely wrong here), even if you don't like her, her official website is completely legit. Barack Obama's WOT scorecard has a perfect score, Mitt Romney does not. Objectively, Mitt Romney's site is perfectly, 100% legitimate, but according to WOT, it has privacy issues that Barack Obama does not.
WOT sells itself as a way for you to avoid malware, spam, etc, but in reality it is putting down websites BASED ON POLITICS ALONE, making WOT a form of 'soft censorship' of ideas. This makes WOT a disaster, because its entire purpose is now subjugated by political activism. Completely NOT what it is supposed to do, but nonetheless, that is how it is operated.

Do a GOOGLE search for "OWS" and notice that ALL of the pro-Occupy Wall street sites are FULLY GREEN. Now do a Google search for "tea party" and look at all those yellows, oranges and reds! Post a negative review of the hacker group "Anonymous" or cast doubt on man made global warming, and you will find yourself marked down for things like "Privacy" and "Vendor Reliability". A total, 100% false lie perpetuated by WOT.

I am not a left winger or a right winger. I am independent, but I am smart enough to realize that censorship on the internet should be vehemently opposed by all sides! We should not punish a webmaster simply because he has a point of view about the world that we don't like. Thousands of honest webmasters who would NEVER put malware on their site...who would NEVER violate your privacy, are rated as dangerous by WOT simply because they don't agree with the anti-capitalistic politics of the WOT mob community. WOT is a joke. In reality, it has nothing to do with actual website safety, and everything to do with political philosophy.

WOT is false advertising. It should be renamed to: "Web Of Politics". There is no reason in the world a website that is perfectly safe should be marked down for "privacy" for example, simply because it has a political viewpoint that is not in line with the left leaning WOT community.

WOT is a scam, and if WOT was implemented world wide, you would quickly see millions of sites flagged red simply based on Ideas. Very dangerous!

Firefox should remove it, so should facebook.

If I made my website public with this review, I can guarantee you I would be red. Do you see? I can't even state what my website is because WOT would not give me freedom to express my ideas. The WOT community, if it could, would say my "Vendor Reliability" is low simply because of my opinion. And this is what makes WOT invalid. If WOT had its way, it would censor all counter thought, so that the only sites that ever were "green" would be left wing pro-socialist sites. Now I have no problem with pro-socialism websites, they have every right to exist, and so do oppositte points of view! But the WOT community is overwhelmingly biased towards pro-al gore climate change, pro-obama, pro-OWS, anti-conservative, anti-jewish, pro-muslim, anti-israel, pro-palestine.

Sites get flagged based off politics alone, NOT based on anything else, and this makes WOT as a whole one big pathetic sham of a junk site, and false advertising. The WOT community are a bunch of cyber thugs, of the Occupy Wall Street sympathizers that want to censor legitimate internet sites based on politics alone, and NOT by the criteria WOT advertises (i.e. privacy, family, etc).

Until WOT clamps down on political bias and censorship of websites based on ideas (instead of actual safety, privacy, etc), it remains a complete scam and should be uninstalled world wide.

Alian123 May 23, 2012

ThaiMed May 06, 2013

The fact that users are doing this shows that their rating system is flawed and business have no hope in combating lies.

• Bw
    bwims May 26, 2013

I agree, this tool is a complete crock. The Marxists on the internet are trying to hijack it, just like they have hijacked education and the media over the last 50 years, quite successfully unfortunately. I didn't think so at the time, but it turns out that McCarthy and Reagan were dead right.

• WOT Lies Dec 19, 2013

so glad its been a year later and this disaster of a website is not become the "gold standard" like it wants to be. This website is manipulated by thugs and cyber-bullies who use ideology to determine stuff like "kid friendliness". The sooner this website becomes illegitimate the better. There is nothing to trust about "Web of Trust". If the WOT "hoarde" doesn't like your site, they will take it down, whether or not anything about it is actually true. This is called "mob rule" or "tyranny of the majority" Leftists are very very good at consolidated ideological bullying.

Mywot.com — Mywot is a scam and a spyware site

Mywot is a scam and a spyware site. Their browser add on sends all of your browsing data back to their servers!! You can see for yourself by running wireshark. If you really want...

Mywot.comFalse Postings

www.mywot.com is useless. They allow competitors to post false information against our site and refuse to investigate or validate information.

Stay away from www.mywot.com and Sami Tolyanen.

Alian123 Jun 08, 2012

WOT Web of TrustUnethical Company SCAM

WOT is a serious ripoff and SCAM. They don't display their phone number, don't answer problems with their rating system and are unresponsive. They are ruining legitimate businesses and something should be done about them. They rate my website a Negative when it should be Question Mark because there are not enough ratings to determine. Yet, they argue with me for two months, don't fix anything and ban me from even logging into my account to track my ratings! All this and I paid them? I am supposed to be the customer? Maybe their location (Finland) protects them from US laws? I don't know how they get away with such a large scam. Please be warned, they are a SCAM!

This is how the SCAM WORKS:
What happens is someone can login to the WOT account, and rate a site as phishy or unsecure for absolutely no reason at all. When this happens, anytime a customer goes to your website, a large popup will occur stating this is an unsafe site, and you should not proceed. This is ridiculous since WOT does not have any means of checking to see if this information is infact accurate. They just go off of that single rating inputted by a random person. Now, the only way to have this popup removed is to either buy thier "Web of Trust Seal" which costs $451/year, or have tons of people sign up for an account in their system, which in turn will bring the company more revenue as well.

Here is there 'game', you complain, then the stop answering your emails, then you complain on their forum and they 'block your' name and password so your account is virtually locked. They don't respond to any questions, there is NO SUPPORT and the support there is doesn't assist but gives you wrong answers and the run-around. So like God, they block you off your account so you cannot even answer malicious statements left by other WOT users that is inaccurate. I hope this company is closed down and will line up to sign a lawsuit against them...

No phone number, no response from company they are NOT a WEB OF TRUST but a Website UNTrustworthy!!!

I have never hated a company as badly as I hate this company. Non-Responsive, Ludicrous Ratings, Playing with people's livelihood and They don't even respond to a problem When They Are Wrong! I truly hate this company.

Allen

ThaiMed May 06, 2013

Recently had the same exact problem. The only solution to preventing further problems is reporting this to CNet and Firefox as many users have done already. No end in sight that Web of Trust even wants to correct these problems.

WOT / WEB OF TRUST — Recomendation

I would recommend WOT or WEB OF TRUST download for your computer(s). It warns you if you have clicked on a questionable or possible scam website. Full instructions are provided...

MyWOT — Beware

I don't know about any of that other stuff, but I know the software is garbage. It slows down your computer first of all. My system is constantly choked by it and I have to...