Sony Electronics / sonylistens youtube page

United States Review updated:

Check out the SonyListens YouTube channel for helpful videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/sonylistens You can find lots of “How To” and tutorial videos for various Sony® products. We're here to listen & respond to your questions & concerns regarding your Sony products also. Please let us know how we are doing by using comments, likes and dislikes! If you have a friend or family member that could use some help with their Sony® products, feel free to share this with them. We want to help as many people as we can.

Want to buy a Sony Product? Check out www.store.sony.com

Comments

• D8
      21st of Aug, 2009
    Sony Electronics - Terrible company
    sony.com

We bought a Sony DCR-TRV19 camcorder for $450.00 from Best Buy in December. Although it is out of warranty which was only for 90 days we've only used it two times for only a total of 8 hours. The Video unit has gone dead. Initially Sony wanted $346 to repair it. But after several conversations and chats with customer service representatives, they offered to repair it for labor only of $233. A search on google for "trv19 blank screen" reveals several other consumers with a similar experience to mine. I believe they have a defect in the manufacture of these and similar handy cam models. I feel cheated as if Sony has stolen our money. I am disappointed with their product report and had naively expected that they would repair it for free, or replace the unit. This did not happen. My only recourse is to refuse to buy Sony Products and to post this complaint here and at other internet electronic review websites.

• 7t
      9th of Sep, 2009
    Sony Electronics - Extremely unhappy experience
    sony.com

I purchased Model PEGN610C Serial # 3117167 PDA for $399.99 in October 2004. In December 2004 the LCD on the unit cracked and made the unit in operable. I called for warranty service and was told I would not be eligible for warranty because I reside in Puerto Rico.I had to pay shipping fees to send the unit to a colleague in the continental USA. I had to pay $159.00 for repair cost. It took approx 1 month to have an EMPTY box shipped to continental US location. I then had to pay shipping back to Puerto Rico. I received the PDA with the screen replaced but the unit does not work at all. In addition to the unit being un- usable the Stylus holder is now damaged and the stylus falls out. I have separate stylus and did not remove the stylus form the case in the 1 1/2 months this product was in use. With initial purchase, shipping and, repair cost I now have a $600.00 PDA that does not function. This is a expensive paperweight. I find the fact that warranty service will not ship to Puerto Rico is discriminating in nature. Sony has SONY only Store in Puerto Rico, which goes to prove they are eager to take consumers funds however; repair service is something they are happy to skimp on. SONY service told me to repeat the process. They want me to send this unit back to my colleague in the continental US and be without the unit for another month with no guarantee that upon return the unit will be repaired. I find this unacceptable. My overall experiences with this company have left me extremely unhappy. I probably will no longer be a customer of this company. Also, I probably won't recommend you to others.

24th of Sep, 2009
    Sony Electronics - Do not stand behind their products
    sony.com

I received a Sony DCR-DVD403 Camcorder as a gift on January 24, 2008. The camera with options cost over $1000.00. On May 24, 2008 the camera stopped working. The lens will not open. I called Sony and they told me that the labor warranty only last for 3 months and it would cost me $161.30 for them JUST TO LOOK AT IT...after looking at it, they would then tell me how much more I would have to spend to get the camera working again. Mind you there would also be freight to and from the factory on top of the fee requested. I live on a fixed income (SSI) and cannot afford the fees to have the camera fixed. After telling Sony of my plight they said; 'That's your problem'. I would highly recommend that NO ONE purchase anything from Sony. They don't stand behind their products and they don't care.

• Ed
      29th of Mar, 2010
    Sony Electronics - Defective product
    Sony Electronics

I am another victim of the now-infamous Sony Grand Wega televisions manufactured in 2004 and 2005 that basically fail after about 4 years due to a defective optical block; a $1, 000 - $1, 500 repair. These televisions are developing a long history of failures and proven latent defects. They have been the focus of numerous complaints and both civil and small claims lawsuits. Sony has offer no solution to this problem, and their only attempt at compensation is to try to sell its customers another TV. Their customer service on this matter has been a joke. Stay away from Sony products!

26th of Jun, 2010
    Sony Electronics - Bad service
    Sony Electronics

A request was made of Sony Electronics to provide warranty service or to replace a defective brand new part on an electronic item which was purchased recently. The customer relations team for Sony responded by saying they would take care of the matter, however, they have done nothing, provided no shipping label as promised, provided very poor and discourteous customer service, contradicted what they said with what they did, and produced at least five occasions of contradictory statements, and lastly, even tried to accuse the customer of lying, although the customer received neither services, nor replacement parts, or for that matter, anything from Sony, other than poor, subjective, unknowledgeable and incompetent customer service and treatment. Coincidental to this, a letter was written to Sony, wherein they responded permitting the same inappropriate customer service team to make contact with the customer, thereby solving nothing, doing nothing, and basically letting the matter conveniently die without resolution. When a last attempt was made by the customer to call Sony and request a mitigated solution, such as simply sending the inexpensive replacement part, Sony responded with more rude behavior and explicitly stated that they would not do that and that they have done everything required, and even attempted to blame UPS and the customer for the lack of resolution.

16th of Nov, 2010
    Sony Electronics - Customer Support
    New Jersey

I recently ordered a replacement remote control for a Sony Home Theater system. It lasted a few months past warranty, but sometimes things happen. Fortunately my credit card doubles my warranty, so I could replace the remote and they would reimburse. All I needed was a copy of the replacement's invoice.

The Sony Accessories website kept rejecting my credit card, so I called the order in on Oct 20th. After 20 minutes on hold, I placed the order with no trouble, was told I would have the product in 5-7 days, and the invoice would definitely be in the package.

7-days later, the website still was not showing my order, so I called again, was told that their warehouse was upgrading software and was running behind, but it would "definitely" be shipped the next-day.

Another 7-days later, website still didn't show an order so I called again. Apologies but still hasn't shipped, would ship "very soon"

I received the remote 21-days after the order, and there was no invoice in the box, only a packing slip. Called Sony again (15 minutes on hold) to request an invoice. They promised to request one be emailed to me, and I would receive it in 2-3 days.

After 4-days, I called again to inquire, was again told that the warehouse was having software difficulties and the invoice would be sent as soon as possible (no-idea when). I requested a supervisor and they disconnected my call. By then I was really steamed, so I called back, waited through 25 minutes on hold and was lucky enough to get the same person "Pat". This time, instead of getting me a supervisor, she gave me the "your voice is breaking up, I can't hear you" even though I could hear her fine. She finally hung up on me, even though I kept asking for a supervisor. I called back AGAIN, got a person named "Neil" who was nice enough to explain to me that the warehouse was unable to send emails due to the system problems, but he offered to escalate the call to next level of support and stay on the phone to be sure I wasn't disconnected (finally someone who provided "customer service". The person who I talked to promised to call me back tomorrow to let me know what they can do.

This has been the absolutely worst experience I've ever had ordering something from any company via phone/email/mail. The delay in shipment, telephone hold times, unhelpful/misinformed staff, and inability to provide a basic document of commerce (an invoice)are incomprehensible in a company of the size and reputation of Sony Electronics.

I will be VERY reluctant to purchase another Sony product and will very vocally warn off anyone considering such a purchase.

• Ah
      7th of Feb, 2011
    Sony Electronics - Don't buy
    Sony Electronics

I recently had to upgrade my dying lap top, and mistakenly bought a Sony Vaio, I had been told if I purchased before the end of Sept. I would receive a free Sony Play station worth $400 - I made the purchase, and have spent from then until now trying to redeem the offer. For some bizarre reason Sony has a policy of taking 5 days to answer questions (so I have been giving them the benefit of the doubt and waiting for there response, and if it does come with in two or three weeks trying again.) But my patients has not paid off - They have taken until now to tell me that, because they don't have a record of me registering for this, I have lost out, even though I have contacted them on numerous occasions to ask for assistance with this. It really is unacceptable.

Now if you ask me about the product, well that's when I get really upset. The software support, is again based on a 5 day turn around - imagine trying to get your IT system up and running, and not getting any help for 5 days (or in my case longer). After 4 failed attempts to get the correct level of support, I reinstalled all the original software, and started from scratch - there "easy upgrade software" is to die for, well to put it another way - someone needs to be shot... And as for customer support. Well during this process I had another small problem with my Dell, and they were at my house fixing it the next day. Now that's what I call good support - not wait until next week before trying to call us again about the same problem, because we can't be bothered to fix it, even thought we know it's a generic bug with our software that we supply...

Never again - In the past 10 years I've bought about 40 or so Dell's, why oh why did I think Sony were any good. Oh yes a promotion that I thought would get me something for nothing - What a dumb *** I was...

DO NOT BUY SONY LAPTOPS and expect them to work or give you support, and certainly don't believe there sales promotions.

• To
      11th of Feb, 2011
    Sony Electronics - Defective parts
    Sony Electronics

Bought this tv at Costco in Feb 2010 and had it repaired two times in May and August for the same thing D1N/D2N board. I called Sony and argued that it's a defective part and want the tv replaced. No success. Sony's solution was to give me a phone number to call if I have any more problems. Big deal.

• Ko
      15th of Feb, 2011
    Sony Electronics - Does not give refunds for product returns
    Sony Electronics

In December 2010 I bought a Sony Walkman MP3 player from Walmart. This was a Christmas present for my wife. On Christmas day my wife gave me an IPod Nano.

We decided that we would share the Nano and return the Walkman which was in the original package unopened. In early Jan I returned the item and Walmart said the deadline for electronic returns and I would have to rtn the MP3 to Sony.

I contacted Sony online and was told that I couldn't return an item for a refund and that they would only accept damaged or unworkable item, and only send a replacement; no refund. I was angry and shocked and couldn't believe such a ridiculous policy.

Later I called Sony customer non-service and after being transferred to several different people was finally told that Sony had a no refund policy. AMAZING!!

Sony is willing to place an item for sale in a retail store and Walmart was happy to sell it, but neither would take the responsibility for maintaining good customer relations. I have always been impressed with Home Depot, Lowes and Costco for accepting returned items for refunds; no questions asked.

Ironically, my wife and I have been researching 46 inch TVs and had narrowed our choices to an LG or a Sony because of the price and quality. You can probably guess which one I will buy.

I will never buy another Sony product!

• So