Slomins Shield / Bad service

United States Review updated:
Slomins Shield
I signed a contract with Slomins in October 07 while our house was under construction. 2 years later and a horrible contractor we have yet to activate the alarm system. Meanwhile every 3 months Slomins has sent a bill saying that there is an outstanding balance. I've called everytime and explained to them that yes we have equipment that we paid for but the system has never been turned on, there is zero monitoring. They always say they understand and that they will put my account on hold for supervisor review. Yesterday I got a letter in the mail saying that our account was sent to the collections division of Slomins and to contact them to set up payment. I called, after several minutes of explaining yes we have hardware but no there has never been any monitoring and I don't think we should have to pay for monitoring when there was absolutely none. They agreeded that as long as I set up an appointment for installation all previous fees will be waived. The other larger question is why doesn't Slomins know that there is no monitoring on a so called active account. The customer service person told me that Slomins has no way of knowing if the alarm system is not active or if the phone line has been cut. Yes that's right if a robber cuts the phone line Slomins has no way of knowing that. I guess in an effort to make me feel better she told me that the alarm would sound inside the house but Slomins would not be notified of a problem with the alarm system. So I guess while the robber is in my house I'll call the police myself and then I'll call Slomins to let them know they're not doing their job. What am I paying them for again?

Before you sign a contract with them make you ask if they are notified if there is an interuption in service like if phone lines are cut.

N  6th of May, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I agree with your complaints about not being an active subscriber, but all alarm systems call through your phone line, when an an alarm is activated. If there is no active phone line tied to the alarm panel the monitoring company will not know until you the customer calls and notifies them. Most companies instruct upon completion to test your system weekly to ensure connectivity. The only way to contact the monitoring company during phone line failure, would be to install a radio or cellular back-up and these devices would only contact them if an active alarm is present. Basically these devices are triggered by the bell output, meaning the bell sounds the signal is sent wireless. Hope this helps. Don't discriminate against one company when their all the same.

Slomin’s Logo Slomin’s