ShoppersDiscount.com / Unauthorised deductions

I have just discovered, late in the day that Shoppers discounts has been drawing $£8.00 per month from my account, since the middle of 2008.

I have never heard of them before, and have certainly never knowingly authorised this payment. I suspect ot goes back to an Easyjet purchase, which I used that particular debit card for quite a lot.

The bank (Barclays) is less than helpful, implying that it is all my fault. They call it a "Continuing Payment Authority" and claim that they are powerless to do anything other than write to Shoppers Discount.com and politely ask them to stop drawing it.

Even closing the account may not achieve the desired effect, although that's what I'm going to do, immediately.

The Bank went on to say that they are well aware that it's a total scam.

So, CAUTION! If you buy from Easyjet, the cost could be a lot higher than you think. Easyjet casn only be described as a willing partner to this fraudulent scam, and in effect so is the Bank.

As a further warning, another unauthorised payment on my account, again apparently a "Continuing Payment Authority", is to GoToMyPC, as a result of running the 30--day trial they offer. I told them I did not with to take up the programme, and indeed when I tried to use it as a check I got the response "Your Trial Period has ended". They are deducting £13.49 per month and once again the Bank says that they cannot bar the payment because, get this...

"We do not know who the payments are going to when they are demanded, we only find that out when it shows on your account 5 days later. So we can't prevent payments going from any particular account to any particular recipient. The payments will only stop when they stop demanding them."

"Even if you know its a complete scam?"

"That's how it is."

Aren't Banks wonderful? Lose trillions of their customers' money on ridiculous investments that a 10-year old could have said were dodgy, pay themselves obscene salaries, get bailed out by the taxpayer, and just cannot prevent payments of their customers' money, held in trust by them, to complete crooks, even when the account holder tells to stop paying out his money.

A  22nd of Sep, 2010 by
I am also getting £10 a month deducted from my account. I do not know what it is for.

Morag Flynn