Shake A Paw / Puppy trouble

1 Hicksville, NY, United States Review updated:

My boyfriend and I purchased a three month old Boxer puppy from Shake A Paw in Hicksville on Saturday, August 16. We were desperately looking for a puppy and fell in love with Roxy the moment we saw her. We were on a budget and the store owner seeminly helped us by knocking off a hunderd dollars. He warned us that most dogs that come from this store have kennel cough. Sure enough, that same day, we saw her hacking up a lung running the yard. I made an appointment with the affiliated vet service and took her the next day. They provided medicine for her and she seemed to be okay.

When then had to travel that day to upstate New York and took a long car ride with the puppy. It concerned me that she slept most of the way but I figured it was because she was just a puppy and needed rest. When we got home, a family friend asked if she was from a puppy mill. We said no, assuming she wasn't. This family friend, who worked in animal shelters for over a decade, stated that her front paws were shifted inwards and that it was a common sign of puppy mills (being kept in cages too small). Roxy stopped coughing and continued to be the adorable puppy she was. I noticed she wasn't gaining as much weight as I expected her to. She was eating the food Shake A Paw gave us as well as the correct portions. She was also going to the bathroom several times a day which I thought might be abnormal. Still, we assumed it was just her adjusting to her new life with us.

On Friday, September 5, my boyfriend's mother called me and said that Roxy had thrown up a bit. The first two times, her vomit just contained dog food. The rest of it was that normal dog foam vomit. Our first concern was that maybe she ate an outdoor mushroom or something of the sort. Since it was late, we just let her get it out of her system. Roxy vomited all night about once an hour. First thing the next morning, Saturday, September 6, we brought her to the vet. She collapsed on the scale. She weighed 20 pounds when we first got her and she only gained three pounds in three weeks. In the examination room, her temperature was high and her gums were pale. We expressed that we assumed she ate something. Suddenly, our puppy started twitching. Minutes later, she had an epileptic seizure. We were so shocked because we did not expect it to be that bad. The vet told us that she was keeping her until that following Monday and that Roxy would be on IVs to try to flush out whatever was in her system.

Later that day, I called to check up on her. The vet said that she had another seizure but was on medication and was urinating and resting comfortably. She said her bloodwork came back and revealed that her liver was fine (if she ate something poisonous, her liver enzymes would be bad) but her glucose was very low.

The next morning, Sunday, September 7, I called to see how Roxy was doing. They vet notified me that my puppy did not make it through the night. She said that she had absolutely no proteins in her system and that her intestines were bad and she was hemorrhaging; blood was coming out of her nose and mouth. My boyfriend, his family and I were devestated. Our perfect four month old puppy was gone and we only had her in our lives for three short weeks. There is no reason this should have happened.

Heartbroken, my boyfriend started searching puppy mills online. Everything the sites said matched up with Roxy. She was sent from Oklahoma, had various health problems and was sold in a big puppy store. It is not fair that my boyfriend paid for a puppy that was not healthy or obtained correctly. We fell in love with our puppy and we can't believe she is gone. It is not fair to these dogs and to the people who adopt them. We won't stop until Shake A Paw and other pet stores like theirs are no more.

Va

Comments

• Je
      29th of Oct, 2008

I AGREE WITH THIS PERSON, BECAUSE WE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, IN THE STORE OF UNION ROUT 22, WE PAID FOR A POODLE 1.500, WHEN WENT WE TOOK TO THE VET, HE SAW A MAYOR DEFECT, THAT HAD THE LOWER BITE OVER LAPED, AND SAID THE THE PUPPY WILL HAVE PROBLEMS FOR THE REST OF HIS LIVE, AND FOR A POODLE WITH THAT MAYOR PROBLEM, THAT THE PRICE WAS OVER TO MUCH, AND RETURN TO STORE.

AND WE HAD HIM FOR ALMOST 2 WEEKS, WE FELT IN LOVE WITH, AND THE OWNER OF THE STORE WONT LOWER THE PRICE, SAYING THAT IS HAS NO PROBLEMS. AND THEY PUT ON SALE AGAIN AT THE SAME PRICE, AND THATS NOT FAIR, FOR SOMEBODY THATS GOING TO PAY FOR A REAL AND HEALTHY POODLE, WHEN I'M WILLING TO TAKE HIM BACK BUT AT A LOWER PRICE.

I DONT THINK THE STORE SHOULD BE SEELING HIM FOR A HEALTHY POODLY PRICE.

11th of Nov, 2008

Jessica, I'm sorry this happened to you. It's wonderful that that little innocent puppy found someone like you to love her in her short little life. We need to stop purchasing from pet stores and only go to responsible breeders. That would put the puppy mills out of business. What happened to your puppy should never happen again.

And to Jenny: How dare you return that little puppy because of a defect? This is living creature, not some piece of broken furniture. Someone like you doesn't deserve the unconditional love of an innocent animal. You should be ashamed.

• My
      6th of Mar, 2009

We purchased a puppy from Shake A Paw on Rt 22... the owner of the store has a brother that is a Vet, the Vet LIED to me and said "Absolutely healthy! This dog is in great perfect shape!" WELL, 4 other Vets CONFIRMED my dog has a very high rated heart murmur. After over $5, 000 in Vet bills, my precious puppy was diagnosed with Severe Pulmonic Stenosis... Surgery was highly suggested, but there is a high chance my pup would die during surgery, or shorty after because he was in terrible condition, every vet I saw gave me the "Unfit For Sale"

So, I love my dog... in the future, I will adopt from a shelter, or rescue, NEVER trust a puppy store, they are as caring as a car salesperson wanting commision.

• Mi
      11th of Apr, 2009

i just want to say a few things..
    there is a reason something is called a live animal.. because it is ALIVE.. there is no garauntee on life or we would have message boards damning the breeding of our relatives that have passed on due to genetic conditions or serious illness's.. but the truth is, most poeple for some sense of entitlement when they purchase something, and loose the fact that regardless of how much something cost, or that it is purchased in general, that it should be perfect. well im not perfect, but do not blame my parents for poor breeding. i understand there are many thing beyond anyone controll (shall we talk about GOD here??, i wont).. and everyone talks about not having these problems if you go to the breeder yourself.. how do you know. can you leave reviews about someone personally, or look them up? NO.. so you dont know, just going by what? someone else opinion? and shake a paw (at least the one in hicksville) has been around for 15 years.. they sell around 30 puppies a week.. so thats ummmm... 23, 400 puppies.. and i only see the same 10 or 15 "reviews".. well i guess that good odds.. well say 100 sick puppies.. out of 23400, thats a one in 2340 chance of getting one of these "really sick puppy mills dogs"... and to the person that said a puppies feet being turned in is due to being a puppy mill dog because of too small of cages.. did you buy the breeding adult that is kept in that cage.. or the elleged puppy is produced.. because when they talk about the treatment, it is of the parents, not the puppy's you so happily bought on your sunny day to the pet store with your kids.. get a clue you idiots.. just as many bad things happen regardless of who sells you the dog. its a dog, not a TV. but even TV's break. and i love the poeple who wont use their "affiliated vet" bc of some sort of consipiracy. these vets have families to support and liscences to uphold. they are not going to lie for someone elses business. and when our brand new 50, 000 car breaks down.. do we take it to mavis on the corner and have that machanic fix it bc we used him since our first 82 datsun. no we go to the dealership where they fix it free and we get it back with no bill... get a clue poeple..

• Ak
      15th of Apr, 2009

ll

27th of Apr, 2009

Mikes, you are RIDICULOUS!!! These animals are ALIVE and they would not be SICK if they were treated humanely! Your points have no validity! Lol and your 1/2340 chance of getting a sick puppy mill dog? All of those puppies came from puppy mills who treated them badly enough to get sick. A child working in a factory will get deformities in maybe their hands and their backs... that's not because their parents had some kind of genetic defect, it was because they were working in a factory! Same thing with puppy mills. Their puppy parents aren't defected. Everything you say has no validity and pisses me off actually. My friend also got a dog from Shake-A-Paw on route 22 and it was VERY sick, not eating and puking when it did. It still is really skinny. This is an awful thing.

31st of Jan, 2010

Do not buy a dog from them. It is true! They are a puppy mill they sell sick dogs and their Veterinarian hot line is a scam. I bought a Mastiff from them at their Green Brook, NJ location and within 3 days I brought the dog to our vet. The poor dog had an upper repertory infection, kennel cough, and coccidian our vet said the dog wasn't fit for sale. The upper respiratory infection developed in to pneumonia. We bought the dog on 01/15/10 and now I'm bringing him to a legitimate animal hospital on 01/29/10 for intravenous antibiotics and oxygen and none of Shake a Paws so called reputable vets were available to help, they are all closed until Monday.

• Do
      27th of Feb, 2010

SHAKE A PAW IS A GREAT PLACE TO GET A DOG WE WENT TO THE ONE IN LYNBROOK AND MAX IS GREAT JOHN HELPED US AND SOLD US A GREAT DOG IF YOU LOOKING FOR GO SEE JOHN IN LYNBROOK AND HE WILL HELP YOU AND YES DOG ARE LIKE PEOPLE THEY GET SICK.

• Fr
      24th of Jun, 2010

another point... we all hate the pet stores when they are selling "puppy mill" dogs. But when a CONFIRMED MILL is shut down, and all the puppies are brought the animal shelters like north shore, there is a line of 1500 of you hippocritic idiots, looking to get one of these dogs for free. also, you idiots need to realize you are all talking about different stores. hicksville, lynbrook are in NY, and glenbrook or route 22 is in NJ. These stores are privately owned, and run different ways, they use different places to get their dogs from. ONE MORE POINT. everyone keeps talking about genetic issues, and other then one review about possibly bent in front feet (which is a problem that has been around for 500yrs, way before MILLS were around) its all about upper respitory infections, kennel cough (which is the same thing), and parasites. i tell all you idiots to do another review after your "puppy mill puppies" are 6 years old and tell us how they are now. Just like us when we are young, puppies can have mild issues (like worms, and colds) but in the grand scheme of things, you will [censor] and moan on how bad the store is that sold it to you because it had a COLD after you bought it. And youll [censor] for 16 years while the dog is a healthy dog. i bought my dog from one of the top show breeders for boxers and he is 7, has aortic stenosis (narrowing of the aorta), 3 seperate high grade heart murmers, and has seizures if he even runs a half of a block. His father was an AKC CHAMPION. Whats does this mean for me now? it means i love my dog to death, and unfortunately God Choose him to have these issues, as me to deal with them and love him through them. i guess if i would have gotten him from a pet store i would be able to point the finger of blame much easier. but at the end of the day that means nothing. Get off your high horses poeple. you think the puppy industry is so bad? have you ever opened your eyes or ears enough to care about our meatpacking industry? what cows, pigs, chickens, and the rest of OUR FOOD goes through before they are SLAUGHTERED. i dont hear you fighting to shut them down?

• Mu
      18th of Jun, 2011

I totally agree with the original comment. My boyfriend and I adopted/bought a "mini bulldog" from Shake-a-paw in Lynbrook in Dec. of 2010. Murphy is the kind of dog that chooses you and that is what he did. Shake-a-paw was asking 2400.00 for him but after speaking with the "breeder', they came down to 1700.00. which we were very happy with. Unfortunately, that is where our luck started to run out. They had told us that he was a mix of English bulldog and pug, and that he was going to be between 30-45lbs. They also said that he was given a check up before he left because we got him the day he was able to be purchased since he was only 8 weeks old. This was not true. Just as a precaution, we brought Murphy to the vet and low and behold Murphy has 3 different kinds of parasites. We spent the next 2 months in the vets office on weekly basis. Murphy was on more medication in the first 2 months, than I have been on my whole life. Luckily, Shake a paw stands by their word by picking up all the doctor bills. But my real problem with shake a paw came when my dog at 4 months reached 45lbs. and was still growing. I know many people say that he just may not be the standard. Yea no kidding. This is because when I did a little research, Murphy in fact is not a "mini bulldog" - he is an old English bulldog that can weigh anywhere from 70-90lbs.

My biggest gripe with the whole situation is not that my puppy was sick when we first got him, or that they were completely wrong on the type of breed that my dog was, it was the fact that Shake a paw is all about the sale and will say anything to sell a dog. They are like used car salesmen in the dog industry. They play to your heart strings and tell you anything you want to hear in order to sell you a dog. Through my research, I spoke to someone who used to work at shake a paw and they said that there is no "breeder" that we spoke to, that was the manager on another line in the store. She also told us that they are told to say that the dog is going to be small bc many people don’t want big dogs. They have no regard for what could happen to the dog if he does get too big. I think that the biggest gripe that people have is not the fact that their dog has a cold or parasites, its the fact that you are being lied to about someone who will become a member of your family. It almost feels like someone sent me home from the hospital with the wrong baby. You grow to love this baby, but when you find out that you were deceived, it hurts and yes you do want to point the finger at someone, especially when you are paying a hefty price tag. We love Murphy and luckily we can adjust our home to accommodate his larger-than-expected size, but what about the people who can't and are forced to give them up? I guess that is not a concern of Shake a paw since your check has been cashed and spent.

• Do
      28th of May, 2012

these people here are truly dumb and ignorant. what is wrong with you people? if your dog is a member of your family than treat them like one don't bash the store, those worms and parasites come from your shoes cause you people walk in filth you people on here shouldn't own dogs don't have children either!!!

• El
      30th of Sep, 2012

I purchased my puppy in late June & it is now October . From within the week that I purchased Khloe, she had Kennel cough and we had her stool checked also because we had seen some blood in her stool. The lab unfortunately lost the stool sample and we were never able to get the results. Since then, my puppy has probably only had 2-3 weeks of full health and other than that has been on medicines and in & out of vets offices. I find it absolutely ridiculous that I spent over 2 grand at Shake-A-Paw & now spending over a grand in just medical treatment. Mind you, I'm 19 years of age and to be taking care of all these expenses is quite a handful for me. I would really appreciate it if those who had negative experiences with Shake-A-Paw can contact me at my email me with their experiences at [protected]@yahoo.com. Thank you.

• Vi
      3rd of Oct, 2012

My wife and I purchased a puppy from shake a paw pet store in Hicksville NY on 9/28/12 for my six year old son for his birthday. Within 24 hrs we noticed that the pup looked sick. We called the store and they gave us the number to their vet, we made an appointment for Sunday afternoon and found out the young pup had pneumonia and was given meds, he was then examined thoroughly and a stool sample was taken to complete examination

This morning at 8:13am we were contacted by west hills animal hospital to inform us that our new 2 month old pup had Coccidia (a parasite that effects the intestines ) they advised us to call our pediatrician as this is contagious to young children. I next called shake a paw to let them know of his condition and they said no need to worry we will cover all the bills at the vet. I said what about my kids and their well fair? I demanded a refund and they told me dogs are final sale. I spoke to James the manager and asked him how he can sell dogs like this with families with young kids. He responded kids get sick and so do dogs . I told James we are bringing the pup to him and I want a full refund for the $1, 600 that I paid so at 11am today the pup was returned and a check will be sent to me.
    I was blown away today after I goggled shake a paw reviews. So many families with the same story. There is even a story from July with a person with the same type of dog with the same issue I had. How can they do this? How is this fair not only to the families but the young pups. My son has been crying since 4pm yesterday that his best friend is gone. So many stories just like mine. They need to be stopped. Do they understand the impact this has on a child? This is not about the money. It’s about the safety of the customers and the animals.

• Pn
      14th of Jan, 2014

After leaving a $400.00 deposit on a "teddy bear" dog my kids fell in love with. I had second thoughts! After reading the absolutely horrible and heart wrenching stories of people who purchased pets from the Shake A Paw in Hicksville only to be left with sick pets I decided to cancel the deal. The store manager James told me " he would not refund my deposit" even though I never took the dog home! I called my credit card company about five hours after signing the contract hoping they can help me deal with this crook! DO NOT GET A PET FROM THIS STORE OR ANY OTHER SHAKE A PAW!!! You will only be left your worst nightmare! Read all the complaints and see how many unhappy customers there are. Get an animal from a rescue group or find a reputable breeder through the right organizations. Don't support buying animals from puppy mills and from thieves! These people should only get what they deserve!!! SHAME, SHAME, ON THEM! I will let everyone I know my story and hopefully this place will go out of business!!! I only hope that I can help others from making the same mistake...Do your homework! I am not finished with this place and I won't give up until I make it right! Hopefully, justice will prevail and I will get my money back!

7th of Feb, 2015

So What did the vet tell you was the cause of the dog passing... i see you are pushing the blame onto shake a paw, but have not included the diagnosis of what happened. Which i would assume you would have had it pointed the blame at the pet store/breeder. From you not including (except to say "IF it ate something the enzymes would be high - which is not true in all cases, depends on what is ingested and how it is effecting the body). I find it ironic that in a case that sounds very much like an unfortunate circumstance due to a new or neglectful dog owner allowing the puppy to ingest something fatal, but is completely blamed on where the dog came from. what if the dog came from the best breeder in Oklahoma, what else proves its from a puppy mill? oh that's right, the pet store. complete ignorance. I doubt EVERY breeder in Oklahoma is a puppy mill. i doubt every pet store gets from bad breeders. I doubt every mechanic will rip you off, i doubt every black person will rob you, but some people do and always will. ignorance

7th of Feb, 2015

Why would they give you the deposit back? if they did why would they take it in the first place? you made a hasty decision and than decided to back out of it. Now want to blame the store for your mistake, because they wouldn't change their policies for you? i own a business and I wouldn't either after seeing this. And obviously the credit card company wouldn't either, or they would have made them give it back to you.

• Ca
      8th of Sep, 2015

I bought a puppy from Shake A Paw in Lynbrook, DOG ATTACKED ME BIT MY NOSE, LIP & NECK LEAVING ME TO GET STITCHES AND PERMANENT SCARS!

Shake a Paw is an awful unprofessional place that doesn't stand behind their brand.

5th of Feb, 2016

This complaint is about a store in lynbrook but left against a store in hicksville. the "reviewer" obviously just wants to defame the entire company. one can not hold any truth in statements made like this. if this "terrible story" was true why would they not correctly review against the person who did it, and not just try to muddy the name of the company in a whole.