Service MagicBeware

I needed a plumber for a new hot water heater and some other repairs. I was referred to one through Service Magic. This guy was a joke. He left us with so many problems that we now have to get another plumber. The price he gave me over the phone was not what he charged and the way he installed the water heater is a joke. The hot water pressure is terrible. When he installed my new faucet he broke out the bottom of our sink and wanted to be paid for installing a new one. He relocated the dryer vent by cutting a crooked hole in the floor and just shoving the vent through it. He did not go under the house to attach the vent cap or secure the vent to the joist. He did not seal around the vent opening either. We are disabled and had fix the problem.

Kl

Comments

• Sm
      Sep 17, 2010

Hello-

My name is Angela Doss and I work in customer service at ServiceMagic. Thanks for your feedback. We take the professionalism of our member businesses very seriously and I apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. I would like to help amend your situation; but I will need you to send me your information. It would be greatly appreciated if you could please contact me directly at 303.963.8125 or at [protected]@servicemagic.com.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Best regards,

-Angela Doss

Sep 22, 2010

Re the previous comment: what a hunk of bull. I had a similar problem with Service Magic -- a terrible roofer. Once it became apparent that they would have to actually live up to the so-called service guarantee, Service Magic pulled a vanishing act. I had to take the roofer to court. Avoid!

• Sm

Hello Home on the Range-

I am sorry to hear about your circumstances and I would be more than happy to try to amend your situation as well. If you could please contact me directly that would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached at 303.963.8125 or at [protected]@servicemagic.com.

Best regards,

-Angela Doss

Sep 23, 2010

Oh please. It's too late. I'm suing the guy. Save your p.r. gestures for the people who haven't been conned already.

Sep 23, 2010

Let me elaborate on that a little bit. After Service Magic failed me, I hired another roofer to fix the job, and it cost me $1350. Suing the roofer for that in Small Claims.

So what are you going to do, Angela Doss? Reimburse me for the $1350? The "limited service guarantee" is $500 max, if you jump through all the hoops (first having to beg the incompetent repair guy to pretty please do it right this time) so even if you did make a p.r. gesture at this late date it wouldn't begin to cover the cost.

Another thing people ought to know. Take a look at the actual "limited service guarantee." http://www.servicemagic.com/rfs/aboutus/serviceGuaranteeDetail.jsp Oh it's "limited" all right. It's so full of loopholes it's a pretzel. Look at one of them: it doesn't apply "For breaches of contractual obligations or agreements between you and the service professional." Since all bad workmanship is a breach of contract, (an implied warranty), you're just basically out of luck.

Sep 27, 2010

PS Just found out there is something called "screen a pro" you can use to find out if a contractor is on the SM network. My crook roofer still is, and I'll bet that plumber still is too.

• Th
      Mar 16, 2011

Called a phone number for a contractor and was linked to Service Magic. After working with them to send people out so i can get quotes on a siding job, windows, deck, and many others. That same night my wife got a call from a person that couldn't speak English and was claiming he was from Service Magic, Or maybe Service Magic gave him our number to call us for a job. Well after about a minute or so my wife was feed up b/c she had no clue what Service Magic was and what this guy was trying to sell her. Since the ph# was unavailable on caller id. This gentleman just couldn't speak a word of English.. So that just set her off. After I explained to my wife what Service Magic is about. She got pissed that service magic gave our number to this type of company...How can we have work done, if we can't understand what they are selling? Just doesn't make any sense...It's like they gave our number to anybody.

Then we had a siding company come today and explain to me after he was 30 minutes late that the estimate he's giving me will cost $100.00. When I spoke to the contractor the day before they said it was free. And Service Magic was told I was looking for companies that provide free estimates.. So today was a waste having contractors from service magic spend 2 hours at my house and not give me a written estimate and wanted to charge me for it..

Also, I'm having problems with the contractors complaining to me when the show up and ask how many other contractors came out for bids on this job b/c i used Service Magic. I don't think they should even ask that type of question.

So after about 4 contractors that i spoke with that Service Magic provided. Only one of them has been professional and I would even consider giving the job. Since when I asked for his credentials he was more than willing to give me them and several references.. Others just got mad, and said look at their website on the work they do and about their company.

Hope this helps you all out!! And if you use this company you get better results.. I will say the girl from Service Magic is very helpful, goes above and beyond getting me the contractors, But I just don't feel that the contractors they are sending are top-notch and I think most of what they are sending is anybody who is willing to pay Service Magics fees..

• Cl
      Jul 19, 2012

Service Magic is a total scam. They are a joke! Do not do business with these people!