Seagate / Warranty Scam

1 920 Disc DriveScotts Valley, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 8007324283

I purchased a portable FREE AGENT GO drive and within a year the USB port broke. I contacted Seagate to find out if there were any options and discovered that it was still under the warranty. I followed the instructions and carefully packaged the item attempting to comply with the RMA requirements.

I checked their website to view the status of my order but the website was not updated. On May 12th or 13th I called and was told that the drive should be sent out within 72 hours.

I called back and spoke with Stephanie who informed me that the drive did not have the label on the back of the drive. I advised her that is impossible as I did not purposefully or carelessly remove a label that would void my chance of a replacement. For me to send in a drive that I needed replaced immediately without a label is like trying to return a car to a dealership but removing the VIN. The propopsition is absolutely ridiculous.

She sent me a photo of the drive taken by the warehouse and the label is indeed removed. The label was not removed by myself and I do not suspect that the postal service removed the label and then repackaged the box. The ONLY one who benefits from removing the label is SEAGATE. I believe that SEAGATE warehouse staff removed the label in order to void the warranty so that it would not have to be replaced. Stephanie mentioned that they send out hundreds of replacement drives out a day and that there is no reason to not send out my drive. However, if there is a systemic removal or purposeful voiding of the warranty in their wherehouse, it reduces their cost of replacements.

Had I known there would be such an action, I would have videotaped my preparation and shipment of the drive. It is very surprising that such measures would have been my only way to protect myself.

I have never had a problem like this before when returning any items. This is really disgraceful.

Comments

• Al
      16th of Feb, 2011

My name is Allen and I work for Milberg LLP, a consumer protection law firm. Your issue with Seagate seems to be similar to a case we recently settled against NVIDIA relating to defective hardware that affected CPU performance. You can take a look at the settlement agreement here - http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/. If you would like to discuss your issue further, please contact us at https://www.milberg.com/contact/contact.aspx or send an email to ContactUs@milberg.com.