Scentmatchersfailure to refund/credit account

L Review updated:

I am sorry to join the growing mass of consumers who, in good faith, have placed orders with the Limited Liability Company known as Scentmatchers. This business, located in Reed City, Michigan and Cadillac, Michigan, also operates under several other names it considers 'sister' companies. If you read even one of the complaints filed about this fraudulant outfit, you have essentially read them all, as virtually all complaints say the same thing. This being that we've ordered the product; had it charged to our credit card immediately; heard nor rec'd anything until we inquired about our order; were reassured that the order was being filled, would ship shortly, was a difficult match; and generally stalled until the rediculous 30 day return limit was over; sent a defective product; and disallowed any refund. My order wasn't even shipped for almost 6 wks, after I placed it, during which time I repeatedly inquired about it. When the fragrance arrived and bore no resemblance to the scent I asked for, I wrote the company rep and expressed my disappointment, enclosing the note with the full contents of product in the original shipping box and returned it to the distributor's address and asked the company to credit my account. I heard nothing for several more weeks and when I again contacted them, I was given several excuses why they couldn't honor my request for a refund---- such as: We didn't receive the return: We gave you no authorization to return product; You didn't notify us that you were returning the product; yada-yada-yada. I obviously could not return by the 30 day limit an item that did not arrive for 6 weeks! Nowhere in the return policy does it state that one needs to notify the company of an impending return and nowhere does the company stipulate that they must authorize permission to return the item. Now, then, I have ALL correspondence between this company and myself, including the accusation from the company spokesperson that I was 'trying to take advantage of them' and the threat that if I informed my credit card company, Scentmatchers would then send this chargeback to a collection agency and ruin my credit for seven years. I know, too that the package was returned and delivered because I have all the documentation from USPS proving this fact. Incidentally---my husband and I were in Reed City, Michigan and drove to the Fribourg Dr. address thinking maybe we could speak with someone at the plant or such to resolve my problem and found that this address was that of a private home with some other name--not Scentmatchers--on the mailbox!!! Odd, don't you think?

At any rate, the outfit that claims to be a reputable business concern for many years and purports to have a vast number of happy lady customers is just plain dishonest and, in my book, predatory! They have my money and the faulty product---that is just WRONG! They have victimized me and many others with their crooked and misleading sales practices.

I feel it my duty to inform as many trusting consumers about my experience and warn them away from such unscrupulous con artists as Scentmatchers LLC. Don't be duped by Scentmatchers---aka Scentcrafters, and Scentnaturals . The outfit is slick, shady, and un-ethical! Stear clear!

• B
      Sep 18, 2009

i too ordered from scentmatchers . i was looking for mink and pearls since it was discontinued i found this site. i wore this fragerance when i got married 37 years ago.i thought it would be a great surprise for my husband. the money was taken out of my account right then. in 6 weeks i was to recieve it. now im out 60 plus dollars .

• L
      Oct 10, 2009

I understand completely! I might try posting a complaint with the Michigan BBB and with the Federal Trade Commission. Of course you must report it to your Visa or whatever card you paid with. He has your money AND the product you ordered, at this point. That's theft as far as I can see!
    Even if you don't get your money back you will have helped expose this charlatan to others who
    unknowingly fall prey to his unscrupulous business practices! Go for it, girl!!!

• W
      Nov 04, 2009

Scentmatchers statements to you match exactly what they've said to me! I have advised my bank to go forward with the chargeback and have filed complaints with the BBB (which they are not members of -- and yet the BBB gives them an "F"!)

• T
      Nov 13, 2009

Hello ladies,

Thanks for telling your story here and warn other people who almost ordered a scent wich is not on the market anymore. Like me! I really hope you don't stop the action against them, and that you get your money back. It's crazy that they can go on with this!!!
    Thanks, Tessa (The Netherlands)

• S
      Dec 05, 2009

Hello,

I am 50% owner of the parent company of Scentcrafters.com and Scentmatchers.com. These are two separate companies. Scentcrafters.com makes custom perfume for individuals and companies. Scentmatchers.com duplicates discontinued perfume and cologne for individuals.

I would like to generally address some of the comments here.

I think that a couple recent testimonials on our Scentcrafters.com page go along ways towards showing we are definitely not a scam or out to defraud anyone. We have testimonials from both the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) and Cops And Doughnuts, a bakery store owned by 9 police officers in Claire, MI. They can be found here:

I've read over the comments above and I think that some are very legit. We did have a terrible return policy at Scentmatchers.com. It was a 30 day money back guarantee from the order date. Many customers did not receive their bottles for more than 30 days. When they went to return we (stupidly) stuck by our written policy. We compounded a bad policy by being inflexible. We have changed this policy well over a month ago to make it 30 days from the date of receipt of the product. Meaning people have 30 days to return the product after they receive it. Note that most perfume and cologne companies do not allow returns AT ALL once a product has been opened.

If anyone reading this was a past customer and had a problem with the old policy mentioned above please contact us at [protected]@scentmatchers.com and we'll send you a refund check. We apologize for the bad policy and want to make it right.

We have also had some Customer Service issues. I think it takes a certain temperament to work in Customer Service and we've had the wrong people for the job. We've replaced our Customer Service Manager and it is our priority to make sure that our customers receive top notch customer service at all times. We do process literally thousands of orders a year and most of our customer's are extremely satisfied, however, even these few complaints are far too many for us to be happy with.

Finally the return policy complaints do reference our product quality. All of these complaints are for Scentmatchers.com. What Scentmatchers.com does is match/duplicate discontinued perfume and cologne. So customers that order are so in love with their favorite fragrances that they want them reproduced even after they have been discontinued. As you can imagine they have very high expectations. We almost always meet these expectations. In some cases we cannot, and we even state this on our site, that we are not always successful. What we do is very difficult and we are successful a vast majority of the time.

The rest of the complaints seem to be either people that have never purchased from us, the same people commenting multiple times, or in the most upsetting cases, completely made up stories. I think you can pick out the more bizarre ones yourselves, the only thing we can think is that it's either our competitors, or customers we've made so angry with our previous return policy that they've decided to lie and fabricate. This site does not verify the identity of posters, nor can it realistically hope to. Nor does it take any steps to ensure that anything they are posting is true.

This will be our one and only post regarding on this website. We don't feel it is the proper format to handle specific customer complaints. If you have any specific questions for us please e-mail us at [protected]@scentcrafters.com or [protected]@scentmatchers.com.

Thank you for helping make our company better. Because of your complaints we have changed our Return Policy and hired a new Customer Service Manager.

Best Regards,

Adam Schultz
    Sales Manager
    Scentcrafters.com & Scentmatchers.com

• L
      Dec 10, 2011

I believe their so-called "testimonials" are pre-fabricated!!! I too was scammed. The scent I wanted matched was Ultima-II Sheer scent; what I was sent was something that actually "STUNK", it is THE only word that comes up to describe this. I too believe this is a scam. I cannot believe they are still in business. It's more than just hiring a customer service manager, it is getting the smells duplicated spot-on, or even near spot-on would have been fine with me. Just a big waste of money!!!

• E
      Mar 06, 2013

this site should be shut down - they suck and send you some fragrance that smells like nothing. Can you say BBB.Dont waste your $$