Santander Consumer USA / late fees being added to account

United States Review updated:

My original loan was with hsbc. I never had a problem until santander took over my loan earlier this year. The very first statement that I received from them had late fees on it. I was not late with hsbc and did not know why they had been added to my account. After calling multiple times, I finally spoke with an agent who was very nice and very helpful. She told me that I could pay an additional amount on my may payment and the late fees would be taken care of. I did this and continued to make my regular payments each month, on time.in august, I start receiving calls again 8 to 10 times a day stating that my account is past due. I made my august payment 4 days early and was informed that part of that payment had been applied to the supposed late fees that were still on my account (even tho I had not heard from them since the agreement in may) so it made my august payment late. I have called santander several times trying to resolve this matter, to no avail. They continue to tell me that my account is past due, but cannot explain to me where the late fees came from to begin with. I asked them to review the conversation that I had with their agent in may, because they tell you when you call them that your call is being recorded for quality assurance. What a joke!!! They should honor the agreement that their agent made with me, especially since I paid an extra amount for something that I really didn't understand in the first place. This company needs to be put out of business. They are a big jjoke!!

Comments

Jan 10, 2012

I am also having the same problem with Santander, I had no idea that HSBC sold the note to Santander. Immediately I started receiving notices and calls that I had late fees, I should have paid of the note in September of 2011, and my balance is now to the point that I will pay off my account in 2013. They have added fees and late charges that was supposed to have been a 5 year note and will end up being a 7 year loan. They are ripping people off and they will not work with you. They need to be put out of business.

• Ll
      Jun 02, 2012

I am also having problems with this piece of @#*# company. Have a car loan through them with payments starting 4/2008. As of 6/2012 I have made 45 payments towards my loan and Santander only posted $1, 700 towards my principle in a 4yr period. The worst thing is this amount was posted during the first yr of my loan and for the past 3 yrs NOTHING AND I DO MEAN NOTHING was posted towards my principle. they posted 41 of my payments directly and totally towards the interest portion of the loan. on top of that they posted over 25 late fees and that so western union fee of $10.95 was posted as $20.98. You tell me, is this correct accounting practice, is this legal for a company to do as they please, isn't there some LAW THAT PROTECT the consumer from companies like Santander form ripping people off?!!! I say that the Federal govt should launch an all out investigation against this company and shut it down permanently for the protection of consumers in the world!!!