Santander Consumer USA / will not credit payoff

Our original auto loan was through citifinancial auto. Apparently citifinancial was bought out by santander, which took over our loan. We did get a notice in the mail letting us know the loan was now held by santander, and shortly thereafter started having problems. We would make payments and have santander claim they were never recieved, even though they were directly debited from our bank account. Then this month (may 2011) we traded in the vehicle. The dealership sent a check for the payoff amount, the check was cashed, and get this - the title was released! Yet when our payment date passed, we started receiving calls from santander claiming our account was past due! We have repeatedly told them the vehicle has been traded and paid off, yet they refuse to acknowledge this. They have now threatened to repossess the vehicle... My husband said go ahead and try to find it, I don't own it and have no idea where it is! The dealership is now trying to help us out and work with us to deal with santander before this unethical company fraudulently adds interest and late fees and puts negative marks on our credit.

Ls

Comments

• Pa
      30th of May, 2011

I totally agree! I paid off a car loan with them on 31 March 2011. I had a military allotment already set to be paid on 1 April and it was too late to stop it. I have been calling for over two weeks to find out where my overpayment was and the CSRs and supervisors keep telling me they have sent high importance emails to their accounting department. I have asked three times to have someone call me back and have never received a call. I have requested a number to the accounting department as well as higher level supervisors and they will not provide me a number. I am extremely frustrated and am considering contacting a lawyer.