RentalCars.com / no rental car company at address provided in lower manhattan (nyc, usa)

Consumer Complaint
Dianne Whalen
Booking Reference Number: [protected]
Confirmation Number: H3303865223

June 12, 2017 (Time 1800 EST) – Reservation completed online.
Rental Partner: Hertz Corporation Car Type: Full-Size Car (Unlimited Mileage)
Pick-Up: June 29, 2017 10:00 AM

Daily Rate (4 x 89.99): USD 359.96
Taxes and fees: USD 49.18
Amount Due at Pick-up: USD 409.14

June 29, 2017 – Attempted Pick-Up:
My 15 year-old daughter and I arrived by NYC Taxi cab to the Pick-Up location address provided by Rentalcar.com on my confirmation email. The address was that of a parking garage. Upon arrival at this address, the taxi driver could not locate a Hertz Rental Car establishment anywhere. He parked near the parking garage and asked an attendant where the Hertz Rental Car business was located. We were informed that there had not been a Hertz rental Car service at this location in over three years. However, he stated he knew of about 20 customers, aside from me and my daughter, who have been referred to this address.

June 29, 2017 – Rental Car Still Needed after being Stranded by Rentalcars.com!:
Now stranded and still in need of a rental car to continue our trip to Philadelphia, our NYC taxi driver went online and located a Dollar Rental car service nearby in lower Mahattan. He drove us to that location so as not to strand my teenage daughter and I with all of our luggage at the nonexistent Hertz Rental car establishment address neglectfully provided by Rentalcar.com.

June 29, 2017 – Dollar Rental Car 339 South End Avenue New York, New York [protected]:
After much navigating we were able to locate the Dollar Rental Car establishment. Being the July 4th holiday weekend in the US, we were lucky to rent the last full size car Dollar Rental had in stock. However, since we were a walk-in customer due to Rentalcar.coms negligence, the cost of our rental car fees were astronomical at $1888.85 vs the $409.14 quoted by Rentalcars.com.
Due to no fault of our own, we were forced to pay a $1, 479.71 difference to obtain a car! This is over four and a half times the price quoted by Rentalcars.com. These are fees above and beyond what we would have ever paid booking ahead with a reputable company.
Rentalcars.com demonstrated gross negligence in not confirming and securing the partner companies existence at the Spruce Street address in NYC . By this negligence, in not validating the continued existence of your partner company, me, the consumer suffered a great financial loss as well as the emotional stress my daughter and I suffered weighed down with bags and not being able to secure a car. If not for the graciousness of the NYC cabbie, we would have been stranded on the streets of lower Manhattan trying to locate a car rental establishment on our own.
Due to Rentalcar.com’s negligence in this matter, at the very least, I am requesting the difference in price we were forced to pay from the price we were quoted by Rentalcar.com, to what we actually were forced to pay to secure a rental car. This cost does not even include the added fees paid to our NYC taxi driver for safely getting us to a legitimate establishment.This is the least your company can do due to your gross negligence.

July 7, 2017 (Time: 1041 EST) Attempt #1 to Resolve Issue with Rentalcar.com Customer Service [protected] – I phoned and spoke with Sebastian describing the above situation. I was informed this information would be forwarded to the department that handles invesigations and someone would contact me on my cell number [protected] once they had investigated my claim.

July 24, 2017 (Time: 1217 EST) - Attempt #2 to Resolve Issue with Rentalcar.com Customer Service [protected] – After two weeks, I had yet to receive a follow-up phone call related to this matter. I contacted Rentalcars.com again by phone and spoke to Martina and her manager, Costas. Again, I was informed that I would be contacted by phone by the department who investigates these issues.

August 30, 2017 (Time 1900 EST) – Feedback provided on reservation Rate Your Experience.

August 30, 2017 (Time 1947 EST) - Complaint left on https://www.complaintsboard.com

Di