Renault / steering lock

Johannesburg, ZA Review updated:

Scenic – Megan Deadly Defect...a Time Bomb - Be Ware!
I’m coming on the N3 south at 120km/h without knowing a puncture is busy deflating my back tyre, in a moment I hear so much noise on the side of the Scenic sound like the manifold exhaust got loose, then I make an emergency stop, end up with the left tyre pushing against the wall of the drain of the highway; Without thinking twice I switch off the motor and you know in the Scenic as soon you stop the motor the hand brake comes on so I left the scenic with the front when pushing against the side wall and the hand break holding the wheel under pressure almost like a vase grip, no strange later the steering got damage, then jump to see what happen, the back tyre on the left got destroy, I was running on the rims, I did not overturn that Scenic because god is everywhere; Change the tyre in 15min, then was time to go, put the card inside press start and for my surprise I hear some click noise inside the dashboard and then the message “Steering Locked “ I move the steering without problem but I keep on getting that message, the car is perfect the steering is not locked, all the electronic works but because of the bloody link in between the steering lock and the CPU of the scenic it made believe to the CPU that the wheels are locked and the CPU don’t allowed the motor to start. I wait 3hours in the border of one of the busiest highways in South Africa waiting for the AA in middle afternoon approaching peak hour.There are so many brilliant people in Renault how no one think that how much more dangerous is for the occupants of any car with that stupid
Imagine if it was my wife driving to a shopping in the other side of town with my baby off 4 months and my Boy of 4 years, halfway there she stops the Scenic for my biggest son to wee without noticing she stops the motor without noticing the left the tyre is pushing against the paving then she try to start and get the message ‘Steering Locked’ and the Scenic won’t start, both children start crying and the place she stop have no street lights and in a dangerous place all SOWETO where criminals could take advantage of white stranded women, many times happen before women alone on the road became molest it and rape and their children kid nap and only return after pay a huge ransom. If that ever happen to my family the designer of that stupid steering lock should go into hiding because if I find him he will pay for putting so many precious lives at risk every day all over the world; I don't blame the criminals, it will be the same to blame a shark to try to bite someone in his territory that Scenic, Megan u other Renault vehicle with that staring lock should not be stuck on the road when it fails it should be equipped with a failsafe switch so if the steering is free, not lock like it happen to me I could start the Scenic and get home safe and not be in the border of the high way for 3 hours risking my life in many ways, kind of I born again that's why I write this Blog I don't expect other people be as lucky like me.
This worst case scenario could happen any time to your mother, wife. Girlfriend sister as entire Megan’s & Scenic’s o other Renault vehicles no matter the year have that as Renault call it safety feature. Safety feature my ###, people driving Scenic’s& Megan’s in South Africa are sitting Ducks on a time bomb because is not a matter or if is going to happen is a matter of when is going to happen. First Renault must send an advice to all Renault car owners, Suv’s, Mpv’s that have that stupid electronic steering lock that must be sure the wheels are not stuck to anything before switching off the motor. Then and more important the brilliant people that design that electronic lock must come up with an override switch that will make the CPU think the steering is unlock properly & all is fine and will let the motor start, don’t need to cause panic but give the instructions to all Renault dealers in South Africa every time a car come for any service they must offer the installation of the override switch and explain why.
Like in my case the car was perfect ready to go, I could move the steering side to side but I was stuck next to the highway, anything could happen to me the trucks where passing so close; I went to Renault SA and they say the Steering lock will cost 555Euros, so after I survive a glitch from Renault I have to pay a fortune for an idiotic steering lock or the car won’t start and that’s not fair, many people don’t have that kind of money available in South Africa that’s why the override switch will let the driver keep using the car to go to work and as soon it save the money he will put a new steering lock; Renault can put the yellow triangle of service blinking all the time and a warning you are riding at your own risk, please replace ASAP the steering lock after the override is activated. As I say before there was not warning in the manual about the steering lock not letting the motor to start and that you have to be so careful of be sure the front wheels are not stuck. I believe Renault owes me and other people that suffer like me because a steering failure; The steering lock should be blank so it can be program to the CPU of my scenic and I would like to have updates of how long is going to take for the override for the steering lock will be available in South Africa.
Regards:
Diego
PS:PS: other examples of Renault Steering lock failure:
See below how dangerous are the Renault without the bi pass switch!!!
Hi Guys,

This has happened to me three times this year so far. The last one being last night!!

Twice my car has failed to start and the steering wheel had locked. Last night this actually happened when the car was moving, luckily I had just come off the motorway and was on a dual carriageway. Suddenly the wheel locked and the engine died, as I attempted to pull over to the side (difficult without any steering) I was shaking at the wheel, within a couple of seconds the wheel freed itself and the engine started up again. Very un-nerving especially as I had the kids in the back!

Only had the Scenic (05 plate) three years and already had issues with the dash two years ago, then there was a recall last year, now this!!

The car is now out of warranty but is there anything help I can get from Renault CS considering its a known fault (having read this thread and seen others with the same issue)???

Thanks
Matt

Di
Dec 05, 2016

Comments

• Ar
      Dec 30, 2016

end up with the left tyre pushing against the wall of the drain of the highway; Without thinking twice I switch off the motor and you know in the Scenic as soon you stop the motor the hand brake comes on so I left the scenic with the front when pushing against the side wall and the hand break holding the wheel under pressure almost like a vase grip, no strange later the steering got damage, then jump to see what happen, the back tyre on the left got destroy, I was running on the rims, I did not overturn that Scenic because god is everywhere; Change the tyre in 15min, then was time to go, put the card inside press start and for my surprise I hear some click noise inside the dashboard and then the message “Steering Locked “ I move the steering without problem but I keep on getting that message, the car is perfect the steering is not locked, all the electronic works but because of the bloody link in between the steering lock and the CPU of the scenic it made believe to the CPU that the wheels are locked and the CPU don’t allowed the motor to start. I wait 3hours in the border of one of the busiest highways in South Africa waiting for the AA in middle afternoon approaching peak hour.There are so many brilliant people in Renault how no one think that how much more dangerous is for the occupants of any car with that stupid "steering lock"? be stranded in the middle of nowhere in South Africa, not Europe, than let the driver flip a switch that will override the link in between the CPU and the steering lock allowing the family to reach their destination?;

• Ar
      Dec 30, 2016

@Argentino I'm the president of a biker club, so you can imagine that I don't take any nonsense and this story that almost cost the life of my best friend while stuck in the highway, because of a silly steering lock that keep on sending the wrong info to the CPU that the Steering was lock but tit wasn't my friend could be on his way after changing the blow out tyre.
    I'm going to help my friend in everything I can, like let him use my Blogger at G mail to put all the events that happen before with the Scenic and this one was the drop that over flow the glass, making me give to my friend an Ultimatum "Ones fix sell it or else".
    But on my watch no family will get stuck like my friend in the middle of nowhere with a perfect drivable car but a steering lock broken not letting the car to start. I will contact all the motor commentators of cars around the world, news channels, news papers, radios, etc. And they going to advice people how to avoid breaking the Steering lock or just sale it and for sure don't even think of buying on.
    So Renault has a choice attach an override switch for the steering lock or lose millions in Scenic's not been sold around the world.
    Regards: Paul Mackena

• Yu
      Mar 31, 2017

Not a good brand
    Dealerships don't disclose defeats.
    I nearly died in my renault today