Reader's Direct / Canceling agreement

1 5301 North Federal Hwy ste 380Boca Raton, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-316-2207

I subscribed to it over the phone back in november, I submitted the form they sent me in the mail that said if you would like to cancel your subscription please do so within 3 days. I sent it in and it was returned back to me, i do not remember why. so I called the number and tried to cancel over the phone because I didn't have the money plus they seemed fishy and they said "because we make a financial commitments we ask that you honor your agreement to your subscription" so they offered to defer my payments for two months so i just said yes. Well I started noticing that i was getting random magazines (33 to be exact) that i never subscribed for and the magazines that i did subscribe for i only got 14 out of 25. I am not able to afford the payments and I they still seemed fishy but i had no actual proof. so i called again and I tried to cancel and they said the same thing. then their supervisor came on the phone and i tried to argue with her to cancel but they refused and she lowered my payments to $25, so i just got off the phone irritated. i decided to look through my forms because i specifically remember something saying i could cancel out, so i was scrounging around and I remembered the original form i sent in to cancel i scanned it into my computer so I looked at it and it said "since we do make financial commitments to the publishers we ask that you honor your promise to complete all payments" the it said "however, if you experience any dissatisfaction, have any questions, or wish to cancel or change any of your magazines, please call us at..." and a little above that it said it was an agreement, not a contract. so i called again and asked to cancel and explained to him what the letter said and he told me. "that refers to if you want to cancel one magazine and replace it with another" I replied "no that is the definiton of change, to cancel is to remove it completely". then shortly after (i don't think he was watching his words) he said "we buy the subscriptions as a package" if it's a package how can I change my magazines, or "cancel out and replace with another" if it's a package then i wouldn't be able to change anything, and if i was able to change any magazine my agreement wouldn't be set in stone... I told him since it is an agreement and not a contract i am entitled to cancel my subscription. he had the nerve to play the recording of when i first signed up and it said the exact same thing... he got irritated that i wouldn't drop it and agreed to cancel...DON'T SETTLE FOR "NO". IT IS an AGREEMENT, NOT a CONTRACT!!! they try to trick you. all magazine subscriptions are opt out. don't let them think that they are tied to their "financial commitments". it's a lie!

More Reader's Direct Complaints & Reviews

Comments

5th of Aug, 2009

After reading this post, I knew exactly what to do to cancel my account. The guy did exactly what you said and I played it cool.. I told him, if he can lower my mortgage, and get my salary back.. maybe I will take his offer. He finally agreed to cancel and hung up... aren't I suppose to get a cancellation number? so I have it to prove I canceled???? should I be concern that they will put me in a collector? I cancelled my credit card as well.

• Ra
      13th of Apr, 2010

i got this call at my job for magazine! her name is lisa she told me it will be $3 something for 5 magazines and i told her thats fine. so after a week she called me again and told me we will double the amount and it will be $30 a month for the next 30 months. i told her to cancel the order..so she said she wont because her "company" paid for my magazines. i told her i go to school and i cant pay, , she said if i dont pay she will take me to the court. because she has my recording. she was harrasing me at my job, she use to call me everyday! so i transfer. but somehow she got my new job number now she's calling me everyday asking for me.!! like if i dont pay she will charge me double! the total was $900 and she said she will reduce the amount to $400, but i have to pay her not the company! she gave me her address and she said send it to her not the company.!! how weird is that; she wants it to go to her personal account? HER FULL NAME IS LISA BUSHY her company name is Direct reader guideline in IL.