RCN / Worst service ever

Today, the trend is to shout from the highest mountain that you are 'service oriented', but rarely follow through on actual service. No company epitomizes this more than RCN.

Here is my most recent (and final) experience with RCN. It contains a price hike, two service outages, and a complete disregard for the needs of the customer. See if you agree.

I received a bill that had an increase- the third in three months. I called RCN to inquire. The said the price increase was nationwide and due to 'cable programming costs'. I kindly let them know I did not have their cable service, only internet (I cancelled the cable service through another bad experience over a year before). The representative had no facts to offer, only his blanket statement and left me with that.

After the rate increase, I experienced two outages in my internet service in two weeks. Now, an internet outage is not life or death, but I do work from home, manage my bills, and my family enjoys internet activity so there is some real impact to our lifestyle, for what it is worth. The first outage was due to some problem with the local equipment and they had it on file. I was never offered any consideration or rebate, but again, it is not life or death, so I did not give it much more thought at the time.

The second outage they had no explanation and told me a service technician would have to come out and replace the router. Fine, I said. He could be out six days from then, they said. I asked why it was so long and they said there were not have any appointments earlier than that for service.

I hung up and thought about this. On a hunch, I told my wife I would call back and see how quickly I could have a new service installed. The response from RCN was that they could be out the next day.

I called the only competitor and had them come out the next day to install their service. Now, I do not expect, in reality, that they are going to be any better. We only have two providers and there is no reason either one would have to offer real service in any event. I am not naive anymore. But I was so insulted by the service provided by RCN, I made my resolve to switch then and there.

I called RCN back and told them to change the service appointment to a cancellation. 'I can terminate the maintenance appointment,' the representative said', 'but Ill have to transfer you to arrange the cancellation.' So I was transferred. I saved the reader some detail here, but after being transferred, I had to repeat my state, zip, address, name, and password for the third time.

Then the cancellation representative kindly told me he was sorry for all the problems I had and offered me a free month of service. When I declined, he then told me where I could drive to drop off the equipment.

Drop off the equipment? I told him I was not driving anything anywhere. When the technician came to disconnect the service I would gladly hand the box over to him. 'Well, the technicians are used just for maintenance, they can't pick up boxes,' was the reply. I thought that was unbelievable and said, fine, send me a mailing box and Ill ship it out. 'Okay, that will be $25. Or we can send someone to pick it up and that will be $50.'

I kindly told him that the box would sit here for 100 years and I will never drive it to their center. I will never pay for it to be returned. I did not know if it was in my contract, but thought that was ludicrous. He could do what he wanted. He kindly gave me the address anyway in case I changed my mind. By the way, the drop off center is in the worst neighborhood you can imagine. The last time I was there, I was almost mugged (no exaggeration).

After a rate increase, two outages, delayed maintenance, and the final insult of returning their own equipment to them, I hope RCN is not long for this world. I absolutely hate this company and I do not think 'hate' is too strong a word. From top to bottom, they are the farthest thing from 'service oriented' I have ever experienced.

Buyers beware!

Oh, I also forgot- since the maintenance request turned to a cancellation, they couldn't be out for another week after the original appointment, so I am sure I will be billed for that extra week of 'service' as well.

Va

Comments

7th of May, 2008

RCN is a complete rip-off. It is probably outright fraud. They charge me for 20mbps internet service but only once in 6 months has it been even close - it is usually less than 6mbps (i.e., less than 1/3 of the speed that is paid for). In some cases it has been less than 1mbps. It often has no connection. Technical service is all through India and is deliberately designed to sabotage your attempts to fix the problem by making you wait 30 minutes to 2 hours, refusing to let you speak to supervisors, disconnecting your call, and refusing to send a technician to fix the problem. In fact, they do nothing. This is simply criminal.

28th of Oct, 2008

I agree 100% about thoses rip-offs at RCN. Here is my story. Obviously I must refrain from the kind of language I would like to use.

1. The government has been advertising for over a year regarding the transition to digital TV. They say that if you have an antenna you will need to purchase a converter box to receive transmission. If you have cable TV and/or a digital TV, YOU NEED NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE. According to RCN I MUST put a converter box on every TV in my home just to receive regular channels! And of course you are charging for the boxes.
    New customers don’t get charged but the people that have been supporting you for years do.
    2. My bill went up a few months ago by $10. There was no explanation for this and when I talked to someone today they informed me that my old price was a promotional price! That is and out and out lie! I signed up almost two years ago for my current package and the promotion (you claim) is over now?
    3. I received an advertisement in the mail regarding “my package” stating that if I want to keep HD Net, HD Movies and Discovery HD, I need to upgrade to a premium package at another $9 per month! So again, you are taking AWAY channels I already have unless I pay you more money!
    I ALREADY HAVE THESE CHANNELS! I can understand (partially) if you were giving me MORE channels and raising my bill; even though the customer should be given a choice. But you are forcing people to take these items.

I have tried to talk to your supervisors there regarding these problems and all I get is a run-around.

• Ji
      20th of Apr, 2009

You are putting your comments too lightly. What I mean by that is, I have had the wonderful experience of dealing with RCN/Erols/StarPower, and it was/still is a nightmare!!

Something needs to be done with this company. For those of you that have not dealt with them, you have no idea!

• Da
      3rd of May, 2009

Yes, I agree they are terrible.

• Bl
      19th of May, 2009

They are terrible alone with Comcast cable. The only two cable services that we have in Chicago. Shouldn't Congress or the Government be involved with these incompetent companies? They are a big rip-off with very poor customer services. We all need to write to the people who we voted for and demand better services and more cable/Internet options being that we live in a huge city. Why we only have terrible two?

• Ju
      18th of Jan, 2010
    RCN

I've tried calling them more than 5 times to change my service plan and each time, I have been placed on hold for more than 40 minutes...! I'm on hold again right now and I feel as if this may be fruitless. I am thinking of changing servers.

• Ca

President Plaza, Bldg. 1
    # Herndon, VA 20170 Map
    # Phone: 703-434-8200
    # Fax: 703-434-8290

If that gets you no where file a complaint with the FCC

• Ca

call the headquarters

• Ks
      18th of Jan, 2011
    Pennsylvania

Signed a contract for 2 years promising a certain rate. RCN decided to increase our rate after 1 year, which voided the contract, so we canceled the service. Now they want to charge us an early termination fee.
    THIS COMPANY IS AWFUL!

• Ji
      16th of Dec, 2011
    RCN

Returned all RCN equipment and cancelled service same day to the drop off station at Woodside Ave, Long Island City, NY> They gave me a receipt dated Nov7, 2011. However, they recorded my cancellation to Nov 15, 2011. I spoke to a representative and she claims to have resolved the problem. She gave me the last amount due which was $164.05.I sent them a check and they deposited it. Now they sent me a statement for $164.05. I called again and was told that the statement in incorrect that i only owe an additional charge for service to Nov 15. They claim i need to go to the office with my receipt to have them make the correction. They will not provide me with a telephone number for this office. So i would have to take time off of work to have them resolve this problem which is clearly their own doing. They have a very serious problem with the way they provide service to their customers.

• Fl
      4th of Jan, 2012
    RCN - RCN unfair billing
    RCN Corp.

We had RCN for less than 1 year. ON July 1, a Thursday, our on-demand went out. I called RCN. They took the call. The next day, I called again, they took the call. I called every day, July 1-5. Of course being a holiday weekend - I did not get any response on my service call July 6th. We then canceled our service on July 22nd for RCN's non-ability to provide service.

They then are billing us for 1 week of service after we canceled. We have tried calling. To no avail - No on the other end of phone can help you or resolve your problem and supervisors who can resolve the problem are not reachable!!! Our problem is not resolved, and we don't know how to resolve it. The bill has been sent to collection and we need to find someone at RCN who can handle our complaint and resolve it.

• Rc
      4th of Jan, 2012

Hi, we would like to help. Please send us your old account information to HelpMe@rcn.net The address and name on the account would be fine. We will check
    into this further. Thanks, MK