Radio Shack Replacement Service Plan / failure to replace insured headphones

1 Greenbelt, MD, United States Review updated:

I purchased a product protection plan for two items I bought from Radio Shack. WHen both failed (headphones), I called to get them replaced per the plan. I was told that I had to take the items into my local Radio Shack for them to be inspected. I took my item into the Radio Shack store in the Greenway Shopping Center (7000 block of Greenbelt Road)in Greenbelt, Maryland. The clerk, Chris, inspected the item and called the Service plan office at [protected]. He was to mail the items to the Service plan and I was to recieve a voucher by email within 4 - 24 hours following the mailing, which I would be able to use in the store to re-purchase new headphones. This all happened on Friday, November 12. I did not get the emailed voucher and called the service plan again on Thursday, November 18. When the plan called the Greenbelt store, they were told by the manager that she had no recollection of the transaction. I called the service plan again on Friday, NOvember 19 and was told that I had to contact the store for the items and I was responsible for ensuring that the items got to the replacement plan, even though the store now had the items and there was a record of the call between the clerk and the store. I was told by the agent that I would not get my money back unless the service plan got the tracking number of the FedEx package the store used to send the items back. Are you kidding me?? The agent on the phone went so far as to tell me he had to get off the line with me and answer other people's calls when I suggested a conference call with he, myself, and the store that I would make immediately. Needless to say, when I tried to conference us, he mysteriously dropped off the call on Friday. So, I called the store on Saturday and spoke with Chris, the clerk who handled the transaction when I went in on Friday, NOvember 11. He said FedEx had picked up the items on Monday, NOvember 15. He had not called and given the service center the tracking number. I want my money back.

Pb

Comments

• Th
      22nd of May, 2011

Yeah, just have to love the ol’ Shack.
    They sold my unsuspecting Grandfather the protection plan for a 10-dollar tape recorder. 10 +30 = 40$. And the phone adapter 30 + 30=60$. They turned a forty dollar sale into a one hundred dollar sale for equipment most people would have considered obsolete years ago.

But did they send him off with at least one tape so he could use his new hundred-dollar TAPE (not even digital) recorder? No. Its only2-4 bucks for a couple of tapes so why waste your time walking over to grab them for the old man when you've already suckered him into buying 3 dollars worth of plastic for 100$$. They took advantage of him good. "Good job Ricky, looks like you are going to make your protection plan goal this month and that last sale gets you high fives and pats on the back from all around".

I was going to write a letter to the main office but the story above gives me little hope that they would even care that their clerk ripped off an 88 year old man who just didn’t know any better. No wonder their window is always broken and boarded up. It’s not thieves, its disgruntled customers taking out frustration.