Puget Sound Energy / penalties and charges for hard times

WA, United States Review updated:

We have been having rougher than usual weather and the heating bills were very high. My husband is self employed and was experiencing some tougher times finding jobs and I am unemployed and a full time student so when the high bills came for the electricity from Puget Sound Energy we were tight on the money and have made a few late payments. As we have made late payments we were paying the late charges as well. Now Puget Sound Energy is charging us a $477 deposit, which the company will hold until we make 12 consecutive on time payments. If we do not pay this payment they are threatening to shot off our power. we are having hard times so they are punishing us by making us find more money that we do not have. It is a vicious circle we are stuck in. We payed late because we had no money, now are charged more money for not having money in the first place. So in 3 days we might be in the dark... What are we to do? Is there any way to dispute these charges/deposits?

Comments

• De
      19th of Apr, 2016

I agree. There are so many things wrong with this 'new' practice. This is the same practice that a credit card lender uses to raise interest rates. Since their is no competition, PSE should not be able force this abuse onto people already struggling to pay their living expenses and not to mention, the poor and working class do not have the resources or time to fight abuses of this nature. I am a business owner and rely on a sometimes irregular cash flow and I recently received a bill with this added "deposit" included. Unacceptable. Period.

• Bo
      28th of Apr, 2016

This is not a new practice but a rule that has been on the WAC (Washington Administrative Code) that until recently has not been imposed. I had the same happen to me. Ticked me off especially since my bill is paid in full. I filed a complaint with the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission. You do the same. I stated I would not pay this deposit.