Progressive Business Publication / Invoice scam

1 KS, United States Review updated:

Got a letter call from ICR collection agency stating that we owed $299 for an accounts payable publication we did not authorize shipment of. Was told if we paid $130 they would cancel the rest and not charge more. To keep our credit clean we gave our visa # to pay the $130. We were given the name of the employee who supposedly authorized it by giving her birthday. It sounded fishy, but this employee was at Mayo clinic battling skull cancer (not an exaggeration) so we let it go. When this employee came back to work, she had a copy of the original invoice that she had mailed back to the company with a big X through it, having written on it "did not order". I called progressive to notify them of the situation and they had me fax it to them. A few days later, I spoke with Cynthia Thomas who was nice at first and eluded to the fact that she did us a favor by reducing the original $299 to $130. When I asked her to reverse the $130 since we had documentation showing that we did not want the publication, she started getting a little more defensive and said she would not reverse it since that invoice was not sent back within 30 days (which it was, but we couldn't prove). I told her that this is a huge scam and that there are complaints all over the internet about this company. She said she didn't care what people were saying about her on the internet. At that point she was becoming belligerent, so I told her forget it, that I would just do a chargeback on the VISA. She responded by saying, "Fine, if you do a chargeback, I'll "come at you for the whole $299", and hung up on me. Wow, what business savvy!

Sb

Comments

• Se
      30th of Jun, 2010

Did you get the charge reversed from Visa? Have the same situation and just told our MasterCard company to dispute the charge. Waiting for a response from PBP and hoping to have our $237 back. Was not lucky enough to be offered a lower rate. Just a sad scam of a company.