Privacy Protection Plus / Scam billing

Tried to do a free trial for credit report but it did not work. Since I used a 'garbage catcher' email to sign up for the free trial, I never checked nor acknowledged their email. It wasn't until I called them to cancel the charges after I noticed 3 monthly charges for $29.xx that they told me I had acknowledged an email. That is not true! They said they would cancel the latest charge but not the first two months. I have also filed a report with my credit card company to dispute these charges that I did not agree to.

The more people that make this complaint, the better the chances are that a class action suit could be raised since however they are creating these mythical memberships is surely fraudulent and certainly unethical.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Hope no one else gets burned.

Va

Comments

• As
      25th of Nov, 2008

Same here. I signed up for free trial without knowing anything about any kind of membership plan.
    After signing up I was redirected to privacy protection plus page confirming my membership which I wasnt aware of.
    My wild thoughts which i was getting before signing up became reallity. :|
    I started googling about this company and came to know that they are fraud and will start deducting 29$ after a month.
    I tried calling them on the number given on website.
    Obviously no one was there to answer. The message told me to disconnect the phone and go back to website.
    I got hold of them through Trans Union (One of their many partners). And this guy named geyson talked to me.
    I got my membership cancelled on the very same day. lets see if they charge me or not..

Dont even think about getting any free credit card report.

Wastage of time and money!!!

• Se
      11th of Dec, 2008

I fell victim to this scam. I called and a Yahoo named "Anthony" said that ihad signed up for this service and another one call 24 hour assistance. I did no such thing yet was billed 29.95 for each of theses services. As I do not recal ever providing my Credit card info I suspect that they were using phising software to grab my personal info. I told them I did not order their services and that they were a fraud. After much arguing the character on the phone said he would issue me a refund. I will be waiting to see if this in fact happens. When I asked for a mailing address he could not nor would he provide me with a physical company address. I have started a dispute claim with my credit card company. This company is fraudulent and a total scam. My next move will involve the police.

16th of Jan, 2009

i am an employee of privacy protection plus...everyday i get people like you!!! let me explain something to you...###S! THIS IS NOT A SCAM.
    we offer you a free credit report as a promotion for you to join the program. we also provide you with all the necessary information to the enrollment...its called the terms and conditions. the terms and conditions are in the blue box right under where you put you credit card number and it does state that you have a 7 day trial period by which if you don't cancel in the first 7 days then there is a monthly fee of 29.95. it is YOUR responsibilty to read the terms and conditions before you put in YOUR credit card number.

YOUR CREDIT CARD...YOUR RESPONSIBILITY...can you people at least understand that? do you get it?

or if you don't want to get scammed (as you call it) the don't put your credit card number on the internet. remember children...whats yours is your responsibility, the fact that YOU entered YOUR credit card number makes you responsible.

16th of Feb, 2009

Okay mister employee of Privacy Protection Plus, if you so legit where does it says that my card will be billed for $29, also, why is it impossible to speak to an actual person?

17th of Feb, 2009

In all fairness when I started to read the link it did say you'll get a free credit report when you sign up for their privacy plus membership. It doesn't have the price readily available but if you google privacy protection plus there are two links that are direct to the companies site and lots of these forums bashing the company.

Here's there address:

Write to us:
    Privacy Protection Plus
    P.O. Box 130, Stn B,
    Montreal, Qc, H3B 3J5

And there telephone number:

Call us toll free: 1-866-444-1837

I have had no dealings with this company and I don't really want to be but I do agree with the guy that says he's an employee...Your Credit Card...Your Responsibility...I work for one of the major financial institutions in Canada and people have the idea of a quick credit fix or feel that you shouldn't have to pay for a credit report and guess what. Call Equifax and order your credit report for free over the phone. It won't give you your credit score but at least you can see your overall ratings on each credit facility. I'm not too familiar with how TransUnion's service works but I'm sure it's very similar.

Take a look at that report that you order from Equifax...R1's and I1's...GOOD. Ask yourself honestly, "How have I been at repaying all of my debts and how much money do I have outstanding? More credit available, and cards almost to your max will reduce your score. Shopping for rates and applying for all kinds of credit will also reduce your score. For those reading this if you get turned down at one a major bank in Canada you'll probably be turned down by all so rethink shopping at each FI and reducing your credit score even further. Good credit takes years to build and days to destroy!

26th of Feb, 2009

this is in response to mr. not happy. first of all im not a mister, im a mrs...get your facts straight. the 29.95$ is mentioned in the terms and condition in the blue box that titled "THE OFFER DETAILS". its right underneath to the right where you put your credit card number. i still cant belive it...we have over 3 million members that have no problem with the enrollment and that are well aware of the terms and condition and then we get ###s like you ruining our company's reputation. LEARN TO ###ING READ PEOPLE!!! if we were a scam we would not put our phone number next to the charges every month.

• Wu
      5th of Mar, 2009

I was also charged the $29.95 per month unknowingly. First of all the membership information regarding fees is listed beside step one of two, in which you only enter personal information. Step two of two, which contains the credit card information does not have any text indicating a dollar amount that will be charged.

When browsing the site it appears that the information is associated with the site protection, information protection and usage. The layout of the site and the automatic charges are EXTREMELY DEVIOUS AND DECEPTIVE. People trust that when entering their information they will be notified of charges. No entrant will expect non-visible recurring charges to initiate.

Further to this, the "mrs." that works for Privacy Protection Plus has about as much respect and integrity as the company itself. Telling previous clientel, unknowing clientel, but clientel none the less (###s) to, and I quote "Learn to ###ing read" is about as unprofessional as it gets.

So everyone knows, I will be commenting on this company in specific forums and sites, as well as reporting the nature of their website and charges to the BBB. Oh, and one more thing, mrs. Privacy Protection Plus: I will also be copying and using your comments, and the links to them, in this forum

• Da
      6th of Mar, 2009

Ok
    I have also had a problem with this company. To the employee: YOUR COMPANY IS A SCAM!!! Your credit card your responsibility. I agree with that statement, but I never signed up to have my credit score checked. I had never even heard of your company. I do not usually do business transactions with my credit card over the internet. However, in March 08 I did order some flowers from sears for my mother. I think that your company somehow signed me on at that time. I never recieved any confirmation email, nor did I agree to the situation at all. So, mrs Privacy Protection (won't use your real name big surprise) your comment "LEARN TO ###ING READ PEOPLE!!! I want to know what was I suppose to read? Explain this to me:
    1)Why did your company have me registered under and address that I lived at in 2007. I was registered for your company in 2008 and I was living in South Korea. My current mailing address at that time was in Nova Scotia.
    2) I never got an email from your company and I never varified anything.
    FINAL QUESION: HOW DID I GET SIGNED UP WITH YOUR COMPANY WHEN I NEVER REQUESTD TO HAVE MY CREDIT CHECKED BY YOU? I NEVER WENT TO YOUR WEBSITE NOR DID I CLICK ON ANY OF YOUR POP UPS.
    I will also be complaining to everyone who will listen about this company. I hope that we can have them and others like them shut down. I think that we are all tired of companies and corporations such as Privacy Protection plus frauding people out of thier money.
    OH, AND Mrs. Privacy Protection Plus my name is Danielle Latour DON'T FORGET IT!!!

• Ju
      6th of Mar, 2009

For anyone interested in filing an official law suit against Privacy Protection Plus please contact: lawsuit456@hotmail.com
    There is proof that they are not only tricking people via thier website and service, but they are also buying and using old credit card information purchased from third parties. This is a serious situation and this company is going to have to pay. The facts are that the internet has given the "conman" new ways to improve his fraudulent activities. The employee claims that her company is not a scam...well you are wrong. Even visa does not see them as a scam...based on the fast that they are willing to charge your credit card for long periods of time. We all asume that the conman gets in fast and gets out even faster. But, this companies goal is to sign you up and charge you one time, or for as long as they can get away with it. They don't want to charge you for long..no they hope that you notice the charges and then call. They do provide you with this information through an email and on your statement. But, most people don't even relize that they should expect this information, so why look for it? When you do call they will agree to refund your money, but oh sorry we can't give you back the first month payment. They keep that..that is thier scam and profit. Does this sound like what happened to you? Or are you like Sean and Danielle above and so many others who never signed up for anything, yet got charge anyway somehow.

WHO WILL MAKE PRIVACY PROTECTION PAY? WILL YOU? lawsuit456@hotmail.com

• Bl
      18th of Mar, 2009

are ###ing serious u ppl are idiots i have used the program and i did read the info that was there it did say that " FREE 7 DAY TRIAL" i then got an email that said if i can cancel at any time if i am not happy with the program however in oreder to prevent from being billed i have to cancel within the FREE TRIAL PERIOD i was having issue on the ransunion union with the security questions but i used the program i was having problems on the website and i called the customer service centre they assisted me with that, the rep even told me that if i don't cancel within the trial period i will be billed i ended up cancelling i even thought it would be hard i calle said i wanted to cancel the rep sd ok i will do that for u and that was it i even called back to make sure and they said it was cancelled. i now want to refer to lawsuit456@hotmail.com, obviously u have nothing better to do u are one of those ppl who are are looking for an easy way out of things trying to get a quick buck even if the site is a scam as u say everyday u see ads about reading info before u enter ur credit card, on my statements there is a note that says check ur statements every month to see if there is anything u do not recognise so dont try to blame ppl for ur ignorance

• Ro
      22nd of Mar, 2009

### THIEVES are what they are. Now they peddle some stupid trojan that takes over your computer and demand money while displaying a legit privacy companies page and website url! Toll SCAMMERS.

27th of Mar, 2009

OK so we all agree that they don't answer the phone, and i can't even get the website to come up to enter my "Free trial membership #" .

what happens if we try to cancel the membership by mail, does it actually get cancelled? or am i going to be checking my statements for years to come?

Thanks

31st of Mar, 2009

THANK YOU TO BLUNT AND HONEST...WE FINALLY HAVE SOMEONE HERE WHO DOESN'T HAVE ### FOR BRAINS.

WHOEVER PARTICIPATES WITH lawsuit456@hotmail.com AND HIS OR HER PLANS WILL BE CHARGED FOR HARRASSMENT.

I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK WITH THE LAWSUIT...

AND I CANT WAIT TO MEET YOU lawsuit456@hotmail.com

• Sc
      4th of Apr, 2009

I also got scammed by this company. I called my credit card company and when I reached the investigation department they were well aware of this company. I was given a warning about these types of companies and also they they probably have other affiliations. Best of luck on the lawsuit because people like these should be held accountable especially at times like this when people are so financially stressed. They billed me for two months and I received absolutely nothing from them. I now will have to wait 60 to 90 days to be reimbursed.

7th of Apr, 2009

I also got scammed, they started billing me 15.95 for 3 months that I didn't even ask for any free trail. I don't even know them and had never signed up for anything. I was shocked when I called them and found out I was their member. But they don't even have my email address and no proof of confirmation letter. I told them that I was going to the police... finally, they agree to return 2 payments and take my credit card out of their system. The scary thing is that this company suppose to protect privacy and keep us safe from scamming... SO WATCH OUT!

• Sc
      7th of Apr, 2009

I joined Privacy Protection last year, and received a few reports for several months. And I thought this is great. Tonight, I realized that I had not received much for a long time, and thought I would check on my membership and take a peek at my credit rating. I was deeply upset to find out that my so-called membership had been cancelled in May 2008, yet I have been charged each month since then. I have sent them an email asking for my money back, or else they will deal with Amex.
    I am angry and upset as I was depending on this firm to keep an eye out on any activities on my credit, so now I need to fight to get my money back and pay Equifax for a report...
    If anything comes up such fraudulent activities on my credit, I will sue these folks.

15th of Apr, 2009

As for me, my story is as follows: I ordered a FREE credit report. I also thought that that PPP was a free membership. However, it was not. I did not receive a confirmation email; therefore, I was unaware of my so-called mistake. I actually found out about the charge when checking for a different charge on my credit card statements. I call the 1-888 number on my statement and spoke to Trevor (ID 25196). He was defensive right from the starts. He asked me if for my membership ID and I told him that I did not have one. He then asked me if I was charged and I said yes. And the conversation went downhill from there. I then stated that if I was careless to have this charge on my account then so be it – I will deal with it. I then asked him for the business registration number in order to file a complaint. He told me that they do not have one. I explained that every legit Canadian company has one, and continued to tell me that PPP does not. I then asked to speak to the supervisor and he advised me that he was the supervisor. He was quite hostile from the get go. I asked for an email or address where I could send a formal complaint and he told me again they do not have one. At the end of the call, he wished me a good day and that I would receive my refund in 7 day. Imagine that, after telling me that I was responsible for the payment, he says have a good day and my refund will be received in 7 days. Yeah right. The first thing I did was try to place a complaint with BBB and Privacy Protection Plus is not even listed in their database. So what to do now? I agree where we should be more careful when using our credit card online. However, I did not become alarmed until I requested the business info from the agent and how he had an attitude so early in the call. I will not rest until my issue has been looked at.

• Li
      2nd of May, 2009

This is all linked to the fraudulent company ADAPTIVE MARKETING that runs hundreds of different opt in scams. Privacy Matters and At Home Rewards are two of the companies that will charge your credit card without your consent. Don't forget to tell them to remove you from their database or they will sell your information. Crooks! I had to cancel my credit card after they signed me up for services I never signed up for. Here is a list of Adaptive Marketing's scam sites:

24assistance.com
    vsescapes.com
    vssportandspa.com
    yoursavingsclub.ca
    yoursavingsclub.com

The following domains have been added since I wrote this post in September which means that the scam is alive and well.

athomerewardsplus.com
    privacyplus.ca
    savingsace.com
    thebigdeal.com
    valuemax123.com

Have a look at some of these domains and you will see they follow all the same basic format. A very simple site with some sort of vague offer or purpose that isn’t really explained unless you login. There are usually a few logos of trusted high street brands suggesting that the site has a legitimate business to business arrangement with that trusted brand. They are all linked to the same FRAUD! They steal money and I will make sure this criminal operation is shut down.
    0 minutes ago by Lisa 0 Votes
    1) CrossCountrySavings, DealMax and SimplyYou are subsidiaries of "Adaptive Marketing LLC".
    2) AtHomeRewards and YourSavingsClub are subsidiaries of "MemberWorks Canada".
    3) Adaptive Marketing LLC and MemberWorks Canada are subsidiaries of "Vertrue Incorporated".
    4) Each organization employs similarly evasive website formats and legal policies.

As these organizations apparently have access to my account information even when accounts are closed and numbers are changed, it is likely that the Vertrue business model is based on identity theft. Information for the organizations involved follows:

Vertrue Incorporated

www.yoursavingsclub.ca
    1-877-820-7107

• Ts
      3rd of May, 2009

I have just been charged 89.95 on my credit card on April 27/09 from this privacy protection plus company and then looked again today on my credit card statment online and was just charged 29.99 again on May 02/09 What is up with that? And this employee from the company that is on here being rude and calling everyone on here ###s how is that at all professional? who they hell would what to have anything to do with that company if that is how the employees talk to people. Its just disgusting. I have not sign up to have my credit score checked or anything is for some reason I have been getting charged and please tell me how this company is helping me out? All they seem to be doing is taking money from me and I don't see anything good coming out of it. Does anyone no who I can call to get this settled? Should I call trans union? To me this company is outrageous they are not helping me at all.

• Li
      6th of May, 2009

They got me as well. I noticed a strange charge on my statement today. I pay online and rarely check statements, so I didn't noice that these people have been taking money off my card since JULY!! I called them and had to fight with two different people. After I mentioned calling the BBB and filing a claim with my credit card company he ("Anthony") FINALLY agreed to a full refund within 2 business days. I guess we'll see if it happens...does anyone know if people actually receive their refunds?